Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I watch Equestria Girls?

StarSwirlTheBearded

As a relatively new brony that hasn't even caught up to the newest episode, I have been somewhat in the dark about Equestria Girls.  I've heard that some people hated it, and others liked it.  To me, it looks kind of... stupid.  As a result, I've decided not to watch it, but now I'm wondering if there's any important reason to watch it.  Any advice?

I apologize if this has already been posted or if this should be in another place, because I have a feeling that I'm not the first to wonder this.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I say go for it based off of the principle of "don't knock it 'til you try it" alone :D

Of course, I rather liked it; I found it to be fun, and Rarity was great :wub: I can see where it had numerous flaws in the writing and pacing, and, as Buffalo Man would put it, objectively, it was a pretty shite film. 

I had fun with it, though :D You might have fun with it, too, you never know :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 3

If you like to enjoy movies with ginormous plot holes; rushed pacing; heinous characterization of Snips, Snails, and Luna; a cliche "high school" story with nothing genuinely different; obnoxious brony pandering that separates the demographics; and easily the best characterization of Spike, go for it. ^_^

Of course, you can also watch it and mock it for being so bad. ;)

I can see where it had numerous flaws in the writing and pacing, and, as Buffalo Man would put it, objectively, it was a pretty shite film.
And I got ninja'd. XD
  • Brohoof 2

Even though a lot of people say it is bad, which it certainly is, I'd still recommend watching it. Despite looking mostly like a cash in to start another toy line, the movie itself was made with such love and care it's impossible not to enjoy. At least for me. It's nothing special but if you enjoy the show there are enough nods and jokes to keep you in front of your screen until the end of the movie.

• Brohoof 1

If you want to watch a typical high school movie cliche with plot holes, Spike's best characterization to date, and rushed pacing then this is the movie for you!

I should say, go watch it.

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one in this forum who thought it was wonderful?  I had my doubts but I found it fun and the parallels were well thought out and I want to see it again. 

It is aimed at a younger crowd and I wouldn't give it an Oscar but it was a good fun movie and I think well worth seeing.

It's not that much time out of your life.  Watch it and decide for yourself if you should have listened to me or not!  :)

• Brohoof 4

I can see why a lot of people disliked Equestria Girls. Compared to the original show, at first, it does seem like an unnecessary, weird spin-off. When I first watched the movie, it took me a while to get used to the humanized version of the ponies. But eventually, I grew to accept them and rather like their design. The movie itself has also great potential with good jokes, songs and whatnot.

I say, go watch it and take your own conclusions! I don't think anything bad could come from experiencing new and different things within the fandom. Just don't let other people's opinions convince you~

I asked this same question on the forums about a month back and I decided it's not going to kill me to watch it. Even if I don't like it, it was only and hour and a half out of my life, big whoop. I watched it and I enjoyed it so I would say watch it.

Yeah go ahead and watch it! :D I thought what you thought as well but, trust me, it'll be worth it. I know I really enjoyed it and am glad I watched it, anyway.

Oh yes, I had absolutely no qualms with it the first time I went to watch it myself and I still enjoy it even to this day. If you can look past all the obvious little niggles and flaws then you'll have no trouble getting the most out of it as an MLP fan :)

As long as you don't put too much hype into it.

Technically, it was a pretty bad film. The story-telling was weak, the "romance" was laughable, the villain was pathetic, the conflict was forgettable... it was a weak movie.

But it told itself and presented everything in a fun and enjoyable way. Not to mention those human designs are GORGEOUS.

Some people love it, some people hate it.

Either way, I think it's at least fun to watch.

I say if you're a true brony then you should watch it. Yes, it's not the best material the show has produced, but it's an important milestone in the show's history, and you get some little insights into the characters that you might not get otherwise. 

Watch it with other brony friends and make fun of how bad it is...it's a great time, trust me. :)

Othherwise, you will absoultuly miss notjhing if you pretend it doesn't exist.

The real question here is why you shouldn't watch it.

If you're a fan of MLP:FiM, I don't see why you should avoid it.

It's your call, all I can say is that there's really nothing that helps EQG stand out, but at the same time there's really no harm in watching it either

I avoided it out of principle.

DHX wants to make a movie about high school girls and popularity contests. That's absolutely fine.

They decide to make some weird, illogical tie-in to play off the popularity of their best work? That's just sad.

I'm sure the movie has some jokes I'd find funny. But the whole concept is just title-stealing. Imagine if Valve made Half-Life 3, in which Gordon Freeman must enter a combine portal to a world in which he gains superpowers and must join other champions, pick a lane, and destroy the Dire's Ancient (with some distant promise about how it'll save Earth or something)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

As a relatively new brony that hasn't even caught up to the newest episode, I have been somewhat in the dark about Equestria Girls.  I've heard that some people hated it, and others liked it.  To me, it looks kind of... stupid.  As a result, I've decided not to watch it, but now I'm wondering if there's any important reason to watch it.  Any advice?

I apologize if this has already been posted or if this should be in another place, because I have a feeling that I'm not the first to wonder this.

You'll need a strong dose of suspension of disbelief to watch this movie.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

I avoided it out of principle.

DHX wants to make a movie about high school girls and popularity contests. That's absolutely fine.

They decide to make some weird, illogical tie-in to play off the popularity of their best work? That's just sad.

I'm sure the movie has some jokes I'd find funny. But the whole concept is just title-stealing. Imagine if Valve made Half-Life 3, in which Gordon Freeman must enter a combine portal to a world in which he gains superpowers and must join other champions, pick a lane, and destroy the Dire's Ancient (with some distant promise about how it'll save Earth or something)

Dude, you seem to spend a lot of time hating things you've never watched out of principle. Didn't you only watch like one episode of season four because you're upset about Twilight being a princess?

Just watch some damn ponies and enjoy it because ponies are awesome. You're really over thinking this.

• Brohoof 2