Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I watch Equestria Girls?

StarSwirlTheBearded

I'd say watch it, if only so you would have watched all there is to see of G4 and have discussions about it with other bronies. Based on whether it's a worthwhile movie in and of itself, it ain't no Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I can tell you that. I didn't particularly think it was good, but it's entertaining enough when the Mane Six are doing Mane Six stuff. Much less so when we focus on the weird plot and terrible love interest stuff.

I dunno, I'm apparently a minority on this, at least according to EQD (and they are always right). Who knows, you might enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say watch it, if only so you would have watched all there is to see of G4 and have discussions about it with other bronies. Based on whether it's a worthwhile movie in and of itself, it ain't no Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I can tell you that. I didn't particularly think it was good, but it's entertaining enough when the Mane Six are doing Mane Six stuff. Much less so when we focus on the weird plot and terrible love interest stuff.

I dunno, I'm apparently a minority on this, at least according to EQD (and they are always right). Who knows, you might enjoy it.

If I remember correctly, EQD did a poll on this and it turned out that most of the people who actually watched it enjoyed it. Sethisto was really surprised at the results considering all the pissing and moaning over Equestria Girls we had.

• Brohoof 1

If I remember correctly, EQD did a poll on this and it turned out that most of the people who actually watched it enjoyed it. Sethisto was really surprised at the results considering all the pissing and moaning over Equestria Girls we had.

I saw. I'm not as surprised by it; I'm a bit of a harsh critic at times, and I know for a fact that I'm a minority on this. The EQD comment was more of a sarcastic jab at the site.

• Brohoof 1

I saw. I'm not as surprised by it; I'm a bit of a harsh critic at times, and I know for a fact that I'm a minority on this. The EQD comment was more of a sarcastic jab at the site.

EQD is weird. I always check whatever official news they have and just scroll past everything else.

• Brohoof 1

What, watching magical talking pastel colored ponies requires no suspension of disbelief?

Equestria Girls takes it further by requiring one to not refer to the show for comparsion. Like the characters in the movie come off as stupid or incompetent.

Equestria Girls takes it further by requiring one to not refer to the show for comparsion. Like the characters in the movie come off as stupid or incompetent.

I'll say it again. The movie WAS NOT aimed at Bronies. It did well enough to assure a second. That says it was liked by the target demographic. Frankly, I thought it a fun film, and enjoyed it completely. If you didn't like it, that's a shame. So many Bronies are claiming not to like it, without actually watching it though. That's why I always recommend it be watched.

• Brohoof 1

I'll say it again. The movie WAS NOT aimed at Bronies. It did well enough to assure a second. That says it was liked by the target demographic. Frankly, I thought it a fun film, and enjoyed it completely. If you didn't like it, that's a shame. So many Bronies are claiming not to like it, without actually watching it though. That's why I always recommend it be watched.

Not aimed at bronies doesn't fix the bad writing.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah sure, why not? It honestly can't hurt. It's still pony, and I personally think it's done alright. It's nothing special, but just because people got up in arms about it, doesn't mean you should avoid it. If you like it, great. If you don't, still great. If you don't watch it just because of the social stigma, well, the only person losing out is yourself, missing an opportunity to enjoy more pony.

Dude, you seem to spend a lot of time hating things you've never watched out of principle. Didn't you only watch like one episode of season four because you're upset about Twilight being a princess?

Just watch some damn ponies and enjoy it because ponies are awesome. You're really over thinking this.

Of course I can't make a statement like "Equestria Girls is bad and not funny". All I said was I avoided it out of principle; I don't like it when companies use an intellectual property in a completely tangential way to score it popularity, instead of letting it stand on its own merits. For all I know, maybe some prospective watchers would share that opinion.

I watched at least 3 or 4 episodes of season 4. I honestly didn't like what I saw, and from there I decided not to watch the others. I even avoided starting my own thread-rants about it because I knew that people don't like it when others try to force their negative opinions on others.

I have my opinion, it's different from yours, I've said my piece here, now please don't try and group-belittle me for it. Seriously, this is coming from the person who-....uh, hang on, let me search your post history for something incriminating...

I didn't really think it had bad writing. I enjoyed it for what it was, and that was enough for me.

The plot relies on the protagonist, antagonist, and several other characters to be absent minded for the plot to move forward.

The plot relies on the protagonist, antagonist, and several other characters to be absent minded for the plot to move forward.

Did you expect it to be an Oscar contender? It's a cartoon aimed at little girls. The intended audience loved it. Aside from that, I'm not even sure what you mean by everyone being absent minded for the plot to advance. 

Did you expect it to be an Oscar contender? It's a cartoon aimed at little girls. The intended audience loved it. Aside from that, I'm not even sure what you mean by everyone being absent minded for the plot to advance. 

Celestia and Luna are clueless of Sunset's antics.

The Mane 5 could have resolved their issues by talking with each other anytime, before having Twilight point out the obvious thing to them.

Rarity being familiar with Sunset Shimmer's antics, doesn't anticipate Sunset going after Twilight a few more times after the first slander.

No one questions Twilight being a student at the school. Sunset could have had Twilight kicked out for impersonating a student.

Luna being tricked by low level fake photos.

The photo evidence was thrown into the garbage rather than be destroyed.

The frame job of setting up Twilight by destroying the fall formal just to have it be canceled is counterintuitive to Sunset's objective of obtaining the crown, because it would have still been locked up.

Edited by Singe

Have you seen the reports of bullying, where the schools claim no knowledge?

The Mane 5 could have resolved their issues by talking with each other anytime, before having Twilight point out the obvious thing to them.

You never got mad at a friend, and spent some time not talking to them?

Rarity being familiar with Sunset Shimmer's antics, doesn't anticipate Sunset going after Twilight a few more times after the first slander.

Was Rarity supposed to hire a security detail to follow Twilight around?

No one questions Twilight being a student at the school. Sunset could have had Twilight kicked out for impersonating a student.

Sunset obviously enjoys playing with her victims. Having Twilight thrown out would make the movie ten minutes long.

How could you know they were low level? How do you know that Photoshop even exists in a world that was never identified as Earth? How do you know those mock-ups weren't state of the art?

Snips and Snails...Need I say more?

The frame job of setting up Twilight by destroying the fall formal just to have it be canceled is counterintuitive to Sunset's objective of obtaining the crown, because it would have still been locked up.

Once again...Snips and Snails. Here is Sunset Shimmer's exact word for word dialog to Snips and Snails, after the formal was cleaned up and put back on schedule.

"You're lucky she was able to pull this off. Next time I ask you to make a mess of things, try to show a little restraint. I need this ball to go on tonight, just as much as she does!"

I'm starting to suspect you're judging the film from clips and what other people have said.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 4

Hell yes!

There are people who hate it, but that's their opinion, and you can't go on what they say.

Try it for yourself and then

just maybe you'll have some new adorable characters to obsess over :3

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to go ahead and say that if you don't go into it expecting too much it's a fun and cheesy little movie. Bronies always expect a mite too much of a show intended for little girls, and the movie is even worse quality (for some reason full feature movies always tend to be worse than episodes of the same series). But if you don't, then it's just fun. Have a friend though.

• Brohoof 2

Have you seen the reports of bullying, where the schools claim no knowledge?

You never got mad at a friend, and spent some time not talking to them?

Was Rarity supposed to hire a security detail to follow Twilight around?

Sunset obviously enjoys playing with her victims. Having Twilight thrown out would make the movie ten minutes long.

How could you know they were low level? How do you know that Photoshop even exists in a world that was never identified as Earth? How do you know those mock-ups weren't state of the art?

Snips and Snails...Need I say more?

Once again...Snips and Snails. Here is Sunset Shimmer's exact word for word dialog to Snips and Snails, after the formal was cleaned up and put back on schedule.

"You're lucky she was able to pull this off. Next time I ask you to make a mess of things, try to show a little restraint. I need this ball to go on tonight, just as much as she does!"

I'm starting to suspect you're judging the film from clips and what other people have said.

I've watched the movie. None of the responses you've given disputes the absent mindedness.

Edited by Singe

I've watched the movie. None of the responses you've given disputes the absent mindedness.

Everything I stated disputes absentmindedness. In fact, my last statement is what led me to believe you hadn't actually watched the movie.  You said..

."The frame job of setting up Twilight by destroying the fall formal just to have it be canceled is counter-intuitive to Sunset's objective of obtaining the crown, because it would have still been locked up."

This is the dialog from the movie.

I actually went back and watched the related scene, and typed it as the lines were spoken...

Sunset Shimmer was ANNOYED at what S&S did, BECAUSE it was counter productive to her master plan. That wasn't an example of absent mindedness. It was Snips and Snails going too far due to their natural stupidity while trying to impress their idol. Weren't you paying attention?