Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I watch Equestria Girls?

StarSwirlTheBearded

Everything I stated disputes absentmindedness. In fact, my last statement is what led me to believe you hadn't actually watched the movie.  You said..

."The frame job of setting up Twilight by destroying the fall formal just to have it be canceled is counter-intuitive to Sunset's objective of obtaining the crown, because it would have still been locked up."

This is the dialog from the movie.

I actually went back and watched the related scene, and typed it as the lines were spoken...

"You're lucky she was able to pull this off. Next time I ask you to make a mess of things, try to show a little restraint. I need this ball to go on tonight, just as much as she does!"

Sunset Shimmer was ANNOYED at what S&S did, BECAUSE it was counter productive to her master plan. That wasn't an example of absent mindedness. It was Snips and Snails going too far due to their natural stupidity while trying to impress their idol. Weren't you paying attention?

Those responses don't dispute the absent-mindness.

Sunset Shimmer annoyance scene with S&S only happens in a closet after her intial plan failed, the FF was postponed, the party got fixed, and was put back on that night. Her plan didn't anticipate on the Fall Formal being postponed. If SS did, then she would have gone with a different approach of Twilight framing vandalising school property that wasn't anywhere near the Fall Formal.

Edited by Singe

Those responses don't dispute the absent-mindness.

Sunset Shimmer annoyance scene with S&S only happens in a closet after her intial plan failed, the FF was canceld, and the party got fixed, and was put back on. Her plan didn't anticipate on the Fall Formal being canceled.

Okay, so doesn't that mean she wasn't being absent-minded? She had a plan that made sense and Snips and Snails screwed it up.

• Brohoof 1

As a relatively new brony that hasn't even caught up to the newest episode, I have been somewhat in the dark about Equestria Girls.  I've heard that some people hated it, and others liked it.  To me, it looks kind of... stupid.  As a result, I've decided not to watch it, but now I'm wondering if there's any important reason to watch it.  Any advice?

I apologize if this has already been posted or if this should be in another place, because I have a feeling that I'm not the first to wonder this.

If you want good quality, as in, plot hole and consistency-error free, and an interesting, engaging story, avoid it. If you don't care about anything but "fun" (how anyone has "fun" watching stuff I'll never understand) than....I can't recommend it either.

I guess if you like good songs (tho I don't remember if I even enjoyed those) and pretty colors it's worth watching, than again you could probably just youtube the songs, and if you want pretty colors you can go to deviantart and look at all the pretty art over there.

So overall, I don't see any reason to watch it. Or for it to exist.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Okay, so doesn't that mean she wasn't being absent-minded? She had a plan that made sense and Snips and Snails screwed it up.

SS was micro-managing the entire plan with Snips and Snails from the very start of taking the photos, then it would assume that she was there in the Fall Formal room along with Snips and Snails while the party gets destroyed. As the movie doesn't show her alone somewhere else during the time she asked S&S to do something til calling Luna.

Snips and Snails screwed it up, but SS was micro-managing this plan the whole time. She doesn't really pay attention to damaging the Fall Formal would get it post poned which messes with her invasion plans.

Edited by Singe

If SS was managing the entire plan with Snips and Snails from the very start of taking the photos, then it would assume that she was there in the Fall Formal room along with Snips and Snails while the party gets destroyed as the movie doesn't show her alone somewhere else during the time she asked them to do something til calling Luna.

How do you know she would have been there? The movie really doesn't give us any reason to  think she was. She wasn't there when Snips and Snails were taking pictures of Twilight in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

How do you know she would have been there? The movie really doesn't give us any reason to  think she was. She wasn't there when Snips and Snails were taking pictures of Twilight in the first place.

After the RD and TS Soccer match and before the cafe, SS was right there behind the bleechers where Snips and Snails shows her the pictures on their phones.

Edited by Singe

What, watching magical talking pastel colored ponies requires no suspension of disbelief?

That's not the same as logical errors like how Sunset Shimmer knew the crown just so happened to be with Twilight in her room in the Crystal Empire when she was away in another world for a long time before Twilight even arrived at said Crystal Empire. Nothing in the established setting could explain that. Stuff like animals having different colorations than their real-life counterparts and being able to talk is not unbelievable, why couldn't evolution or some deity created them as they are?

I see this argument come up occasionally, and it always makes me shake my head. Just because something in a fictional story isn't like real life does not excuse any logical error within the established rules of logic in the setting of said fictional story.

After the RD and TS Soccer match and before the cafe, SS was right there behind the bleechers where Snips and Snails shows her the pictures on their phones.

Yeah, because they were updating her on their progress.

I'll admit that the plot was fairly weak overall, but it made perfect sense here.

That's not the same as logical errors like how Sunset Shimmer knew the crown just so happened to be with Twilight in her room in the Crystal Empire when she was away in another world for a long time before Twilight even arrived at said Crystal Empire.

Yeah, that bit confused me. My head canon is that Sunset Shimmer goes through the mirror whenever the portal opens to do some recon and just sort of improvised a last minute plan on the spot after learning about Twilight.

I'll admit that the plot was fairly weak overall, but it made perfect sense here.

It wasn't the best of ideas for SS. There are other areas in the school that could have been vandalized rather than risk the Fall Formal itself.

That's not the same as logical errors like how Sunset Shimmer knew the crown just so happened to be with Twilight in her room in the Crystal Empire when she was away in another world for a long time before Twilight even arrived at said Crystal Empire. Nothing in the established setting could explain that. Stuff like animals having different colorations than their real-life counterparts and being able to talk is not unbelievable, why couldn't evolution or some deity created them as they are?

I see this argument come up occasionally, and it always makes me shake my head. Just because something in a fictional story isn't like real life does not excuse any logical error within the established rules of logic in the setting of said fictional story.

That's very much the point of the stronger dose of Suspension of Disbelief, as there are critical noticeable logical errors.

Edited by Singe

Why are people totally ignoring something important here. The movie WAS NOT aimed at bronies. It was aimed at little girls. Bronies are knocking the movie for not having a deep enough plot. (no joke intended) When I was a kid, my favorite animated movie was "The Chipmunk Adventure". It was not what I'd call award winning writing, but as with Equestria Girls, it was lots of fun, had appealing characters, and many good songs. (I have the DVD now, and watched it a couple of weeks ago. I still enjoyed it!) You can't watch a children's movie and expect it to be as complex and compelling as a serious Oscar contending film.

"The Chipmunk Adventure" comes off the established shows and already uses the established protagonists. Straight forward and simple. EG is not simple since it's trying to create a new world, add new versions of characters for said world, and adding that to the FIM reality. TS crossing over to a new world should be close to par with Nightmare Before Christmas.

Edited by Singe

It's your call, man. If you want to try it, whoope, if you don't, hey, it's your choice, mate.

Yeah, that bit confused me. My head canon is that Sunset Shimmer goes through the mirror whenever the portal opens to do some recon and just sort of improvised a last minute plan on the spot after learning about Twilight.

But why would she be doing recon if she didn't already have her plan to begin with? I've thought about her just going into the portal and overhearing from somewhere that an element of harmony is in the castle, then coming up with the plan, but I can't think of any rational reason why she would've gone to begin with, and her "overhearing" about the element sounds like a stretch into nonsense-ville. Even if that could somehow be explained, her plan itself was absurd.

For starters, how did she even know that the element of magic would turn her into a powerful demon and allow her to mind control the teenagers at the school? All I remember is she said something could happen if you bring an element to another world (how she learned this I don't know, but I have a feeling that could be explained, at the very least), but even then, never is it elaborated that it would specifically result in her gaining the exact powers she needed to execute her plan, which was to use an army of teenagers to take over Equestria. So we're to believe she knew that the element of magic would give her super powers, allow her to mind-control an school of teens, if she wore it in the human world.

Ya, I'm not buying it.

And speaking of that plan of hers, she expected to take over the entirety of Equestria with just herself (powered up, only says that her army is what will allow her to take over, not her powers). So she expected to take on the entire royal guard, Celestia (I assume she had no knowledge of Luna's return), and every civilian who would probably defend themselves and help the guards, with just herself and a high school of teenagers, who, for all she knows, will just turn into ponies when they enter the human world like how ponies turn human when they enter their world.

To say it's hard to believe she thought this was remotely intelligent would be an understatement. And I'm almost certain there are more holes I've forgotten to mention.

edit: I just rewatched the scene where Sunset mentions the effects of bringing an element into alternate world, she asks Twilight in a way that implies she already knew. Than what, how did she know? Did Celestia tell her that bringing an element to an alternate realm would result in gaining the powers she wanted? Did Celestia or Luna bring the elements to that world or another one in the past and that happened to one of them or someone else there? And then Celestia told Sunset at some point?

edit again: I just rewatched the scene where she goes Super Saiyan, she says before she puts it on that it'll give her "more power than she could possibly imagine" so I guess she wasn't solely relying on her......teenage army.....to take over, but now I have even more questions. If Celestia told her that would happen, presumably it's because it happened before and she was witness, how'd they stop whoever went demon-mode? I mean, Twilight and her human friends only did because of "friendship" (aka Deus Ex Machina, aka the writers couldn't think of any better way to have the day be saved), so than I would guess "friendship" worked for Celestia too?......

And than there's the question of why she didn't just mind control everyone in Equestria, therefore not needing the teenagers to begin with.........

edit again again: Actually couldn't Twilight have just grabbed Sunset with her magic before she could get into the portal? Cuz I'm pretty sure she's done that before in the show with other characters. And if that's the case the entire plot would be relying on the main character's idiocy in order for it to work.

(Here's a tip for writers out there; when your story requires one of your characters to do something unbelievably foolish for it to move forward, than something is seriously wrong. Either find a logical way to kick off the plot, or if you can't, scrap it altogether. Going forward with it anyway is not okay, it's bad writing. I'm trying to come up with my own story that I'll probably never write because I'm a lazy fuck and I've had to rewrite and scrap so much of it because I found logical holes that couldn't be justified in it, because I care about the quality of my story.)

Why are people totally ignoring something important here. The movie WAS NOT aimed at bronies. It was aimed at little girls. Bronies are knocking the movie for not having a deep enough plot. (no joke intended) When I was a kid, my favorite animated movie was "The Chipmunk Adventure". It was not what I'd call award winning writing, but as with Equestria Girls, it was lots of fun, had appealing characters, and many good songs. (I have the DVD now, and watched it a couple of weeks ago. I still enjoyed it!) You can't watch a children's movie and expect it to be as complex and compelling as a serious Oscar contending film.

There's no reason it can't be coherent. Here I thought the point of FIM was to go against the brain-dead entertainment that was little girls shows beforehand by actually being well written.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

You know, we've kind of made a lot of spoilers for a thread intended for people who are still thinking about seeing the movie.

@@Sir Wulfington I'll concede that the plot was very far from air tight. For the purposes of this movie though, I don't think it really needed to be, and the movie and the script make up for it in other places. 

This was a story being told in very broad strokes. I think that's where "it's for children" comes into play. When you're making a story for children, it doesn't have to be bad, but you can't really afford to be subtle.

• Brohoof 1

But why would she be doing recon if she didn't already have her plan to begin with? I've thought about her just going into the portal and overhearing from somewhere that an element of harmony is in the castle, then coming up with the plan, but I can't think of any rational reason why she would've gone to begin with, and her "overhearing" about the element sounds like a stretch into nonsense-ville. Even if that could somehow be explained, her plan itself was absurd.

For starters, how did she even know that the element of magic would turn her into a powerful demon and allow her to mind control the teenagers at the school? All I remember is she said something could happen if you bring an element to another world (how she learned this I don't know, but I have a feeling that could be explained, at the very least), but even then, never is it elaborated that it would specifically result in her gaining the exact powers she needed to execute her plan, which was to use an army of teenagers to take over Equestria. So we're to believe she knew that the element of magic would give her super powers, allow her to mind-control an school of teens, if she wore it in the human world.

The prequel comic gives somewhat an answer which it shows Sunset Shimmer reading into forbidden magic material. This would be the only likely answer for the transformation and mind control. Only other possible answer to SS knowing about the crown is that she has someway of scrying the other side since she was trained in magic and could have the knowledge to access her magic in some limited way in the people world.

The movie just doesn't do its homework well.

Edited by Singe

We can just go ahead and rename this thread to "Complain about peoples opinions". No but seriously, questioning other peoples opinions gets you nowhere. Its a good movie, and as stated, was meant for little girls who don't care much for the plot.

• Brohoof 1

We can just go ahead and rename this thread to "Complain about peoples opinions". No but seriously, questioning other peoples opinions gets you nowhere. Its a good movie, and as stated, was meant for little girls who don't care much for the plot.

We should make a Debate Pit for MLP-related topics.  This is one of the most heated threads I've seen in a while.

• Brohoof 2

I'm about 9 episodes into Season 2 of the series, when should I watch the movie in order to avoid 'spoilers' of things that happen later in the series; about whenever it was released?

I'm about 9 episodes into Season 2 of the series, when should I watch the movie in order to avoid 'spoilers' of things that happen later in the series; about whenever it was released?

It's between Season 3 and 4.