Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Importance Of The Royal Guard.

Harmony And Rarity

What  is the importance of the Royal Guard? not to mention they got horribly smacked, even though they got overwhelmed by Chrysalis's army. Like, they are not even powerful, and for some reason I feel they're just there to make canterlot seem Powerful. >.> 

It's probably a ceremonial remnant from when the ponies were more warlike, back in the days of the most glorious Chancellor Puddinghead (among other historical figures). They're probably more like a valet service or the like now. More utility usage than actual combat training, since the need for it is apparently quite rare.

• Brohoof 3

The Royal Guard is about as able as America was at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. I've seen plenty of cases where the law-enforcement or protectors of a certain area are terrible at what they do, and it makes the hero(es) look better for it. This is nothin' new.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that they were over whelmed for a few reasons:

1. They were not prepared for an army
  2. Equestria is usually in a time of peace so they were not equipped for battle
  3. Like #2 said, Because they are usually at a time of peace, they probably got ride of heavy armor like full steel plate and Heavy weapons like Halberds for lighter gear like the current guard armor and spears
  4. They just didn't have enough soldiers

If they were prepared they would have probably had this:

715806bbe20c895513665f5428f6e5e3-d5cy1zl

Instead of this:

sad_mlp_fim_guard_pony_by_nimaru-d48kpg3

• Brohoof 2

The Royal Guard is perhaps the permanent standing army, which were prevalent in the middle ages and early modern history, the typical practise was to raise an army for a campaign, then disband the army after hostilities, for permanent national armies can get expensive, this tradition came from the Greek city states and Roman Republic, who had the same practise, although the hoplites and Republican legionaries were part time soldiers, they were still motivated, well trained and well equipped, however it was the urban or royal guard stood watch, and performed ceremonial roles during times of peace.

• Brohoof 1

You all wrong, the main purpose of the Guards is to protect Celestia. Like when she goes into public you see a guard or two in case. Now the Changling attack was a disgrace lol

But Luna has her own guard, which is probably more able to fight than Celestia's

I believe the Royal Guard may fulfill many functions outside of protecting the princesses. Serving as her personal guards is one obvious role, but I think they also act as Canterlot's police force and could be public servants. They may also act as advisers or emissaries to foreign lands. A small army to guard several ponies around the clock is rather unnecessary, especially when they've demonstrated themselves to be quite powerful such as to need no protection by ordinary ponies. Having them stand around in their glittering armor and holding shiny spears may be mostly for the benefit of the public and makes their organization appear more professional, while being far from their primary goal.

• Brohoof 1

Weren't the guardsmen outnumbered like 50:1 during the changeling invasion? Anyway, Chrysalis went to great lengths to circumvent security.

The police/guard/army/background standing legal force can't outshine the heroes in a story anyway. They have to fail, but they can't *not* be there or people would wonder why they weren't.

• Brohoof 1

Yea, in modern times in Equestria their doesn't seem to be a lot of war, so they are more or less just servants to the two princesses, and really don't have a need to train super hard, I mean,all we ever see them doing is standing around doing nothing, so of course their skills are going to be a bit rust. Also take into account that it is a kids show, so on top of that they really can't show them being "super badass" and killing stuff and really showing off their skills, due to the fact that it would be to violent.

They are window dressing and if they were more competent there would be no reason for the Mane 6 or EOH. They are the Red Shirts of MLP or the can't shoot Stormtroopers. They exist for plot convenience and plot contrivance and I'm fine with that.

Edited by Nature's Spell

…What Timesetta, Emperor Peter, Artemis, and Nine said.

Equestria looks to be experiencing a (mostly) peaceful era, so the Royal Guards are gonna be little more than bodyguards for the princesses, as well as the Canterlot Police...

They are window dressing and if they were more competent there would be no reason for the Mane 6 or EOH. They are the Red Shirts of MLP or the can't shoot Stormtroopers. They exist for plot convenience and plot contrivance and I'm fine with that.

They could have storm troopers shoot them and they would die XD

i think they are just there so we can make more arrow to the knee jokes.

do ponies even have knees? that'll probably sound stupid, but do they?

Like shouldn't twilight have a guard at all time? Noooo we are just going to let her walk into the ever free forest while the other princesses are missing and let her almost die. Good job royal guard. I sure would feel safe with them. Pft