Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike the dog

ColorSpectrum

For some reason, I didn't like spike as a dog. It was really weird to me. Am I the only one? probably xD

You're not the only one. I didn't like Spike as a dog, but that's because I don't like him as a dragon. Or a character in general. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, when going into the human world, I thought a dog would be the best transformation.

I mean, the ponies looked ugly as humans, and Spike would have looked even uglier.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really like the idea of Equestria Girls in general. That being said, I don't think Spike as a dog was very bad, it made sense. I at least, prefer that to all of the ponies as humans...

I just love spike the dog!!! plus does anypony know how to get a sig? :okiedokielokie:i have been looking all over to finds out. sighn off

That was one of the biggest flaws of the movie. There's no reason he shouldn't have been a human. He was written well in EQG, it's a shame they had to reduce him to a dog  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

It worked better that way, in my opinion - Spike is of an entirely different species, first off, and second off, he's much younger; if, in the Equestria Girls timeline, the Mane 6 (who are generally considered young adults in the main series, according to Faust herself) are teenage girls, then Spike (who's been referred to as a baby dragon several times in the main series) would have to be much, much younger in order to keep continuity, as in 3rd or 4th grader, when I see him as a 6th or 7th grader in the main series. 

Having someone who's obviously still a child walking around a high school and being able to hang around without being noticed would be a gaping plot hole, first off, and in order to make the movie seem more realistic without having that major writing flaw on their hands, he'd constantly be having to hide/stay away/whatever. It'd take away from the main storyline, which, would be Twilight, by having such a continuous side-plot that would have to be put in order to maintain some sense of realism.

Lastly, as I said earlier, entirely different species; if ponies are humans in Equestria, then it'd be plausible for Spike (a dragon) to be something entirely different. When you throw in that age gap I brought up earlier, it'd make sense for him to be a dog/some sort of companion that would function well in the same capacity that he did in the movie :D

• Brohoof 3

It worked better that way, in my opinion - Spike is of an entirely different species, first off, and second off, he's much younger; if, in the Equestria Girls timeline, the Mane 6 (who are generally considered young adults in the main series, according to Faust herself) are teenage girls, then Spike (who's been referred to as a baby dragon several times in the main series) would have to be much, much younger in order to keep continuity, as in 3rd or 4th grader, when I see him as a 6th or 7th grader in the main series. 

Having someone who's obviously still a child walking around a high school and being able to hang around without being noticed would be a gaping plot hole, first off, and in order to make the movie seem more realistic without having that major writing flaw on their hands, he'd constantly be having to hide/stay away/whatever. It'd take away from the main storyline, which, would be Twilight, by having such a continuous side-plot that would have to be put in order to maintain some sense of realism.

Lastly, as I said earlier, entirely different species; if ponies are humans in Equestria, then it'd be plausible for Spike (a dragon) to be something entirely different. When you throw in that age gap I brought up earlier, it'd make sense for him to be a dog/some sort of companion that would function well in the same capacity that he did in the movie :D

You basically summed up why I think having him be a dog worked rather excellently.
  • Brohoof 1

I had been thinking about his being a different species affecting it. I wonder if Zecora exists in the EG universe, and what she is?

I believe there is a human doll of her out there, but I'd like a confirmation if this is how it is in the movies too.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'd rather him be a dog then something else. God, imagine what he'd look like as a cat or a bird or something. A dog was the most logical choice.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, when I found out that Spike was a dog, my first thought was, "What they hay did they do NOW?!" Obviously it would have made more sense if he turned out to be a snake or a lizard, but when you really think about it, a dog is probably the best they could do. I'll admit a TALKING dog was a bit much, but Spike was crucial to the plot and being a dog really tied it together. Besides, I have to agree with Rarity - he's sooo adorable. <3

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really care much for Spike in general, but I thought his portrayal as a dog was acceptable. I know plenty of fans didn't care for him as a dog, but I feel that it suits him well. I'm honestly not sure why though.  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

That was one of the biggest flaws of the movie. There's no reason he shouldn't have been a human. He was written well in EQG, it's a shame they had to reduce him to a dog :okiedokielokie:

They had a reason to make Spike a dog because I think one shows producers or something said "Dragon going through portal doesn't equal pony going through portal" and dragon and dog start with D pony and person start with P

I didn't mind him as a dog at all. I feel it was a reasonable reflection of Spike's role in Equestria. Of course he's not a pet in Equestria, but I think ghostfacekiller39 did a great job of explaining why Spike being something like this was the best way to go.