Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Human: Not EG, Sparkle overload style.

pegabeats

This is a try at drawing in one of my own styles, so please, do not say ' Is this supposed to be crappy anime?'

If you like it, please comment who you want me to do next in Sparkle Overload style. You can choose: Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Nightmare Moon or my idea of what if Celestia was the 'Nightmare Moon', called Fire Blazes.

post-25139-0-49986300-1397404549_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea. You do need to work on proportions, layering, and posing. I suggest using a app or program that allows you to use layers. It will help with background and shadowing. Also I suggest using a reference for the pose you want. So you can see the angles you want.

This is a try at drawing in one of my own styles, so please, do not say ' Is this supposed to be crappy anime?'

If you like it, please comment who you want me to do next in Sparkle Overload style. You can choose: Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Nightmare Moon or my idea of what if Celestia was the 'Nightmare Moon', called Fire Blazes.

Something about style you need to understand, there's a difference between that and simply bad proportioning. Whether you're exaggerating eyes or the length of certain limbs, the character needs to look like it could actually physically function. It needs to be symmetrical. I also don't see anything....styled about it. You drew in a manga style and put glitter on it, that's not a style. The problems with this are the lack of depth (no shading to give shape to the subject) and poor proportioning. I could go into further detail, but all you need to do is google up an image of a human being and you can see what exactly is wrong with your picture.

Honestly, it seems to be like you're doing something I used to do, you're forcing a style. A style is something that comes naturally to you, a way of drawing people or animals that you like, and as I said you need to make sure things are still anatomically correct. It has to look like the character could exist as a real living being unless the point is that it's supposed to look illogical, which I can tell is not what you intended. When drawing realistically or cartoony, you need to use real life references to make sure you're doing it right, and to understand how the lighting and shading work. And don't listen to the "artists" who claim that using references are bad, only a fool or a egotist who wants to feel superior to other artists avoids using references. Any good artist will use references to make sure they're work is right. Of course, you can memorize certain things, but it's always best to be absolutely certain.

But don't even worry about style, you don't need a unique style. You can never know for certain if you're style is unique anyway (and I guarantee, yours isn't). You want your art to look aesthetically pleasing to you, that's all that ultimately matters unless you're doing it for other people.

And there are all kinds of free guides for lighting/shading, anatomy, etc. online, you won't need art school. This is all assuming you want help, though. But the first step to improvement is admitting that you're not doing it right to begin with, if you won't accept that, than there's nothing that can be done. I hope you'll make the right decision.

• Brohoof 1