Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Ever Appreciated Something More When You Are Older?

Shanks

Do you ever watch/play/read something when you are a kid and you notice or appreciate some things when you come back to it after you are older? This happened to me yesterday when I rewatched the Hunchback of Notre Dame(animated version), I always liked the movie for its positive message about accepting those who are different and since I was raised Catholic, I understood most of the religious references and was familiar with the hymns played. Now that I know even more about the historical background of when this took place than I did back then with, how the poor were treated and how far soldiers are pushed to "follow orders" and noticed some other moral and philosophical issues I didn't before or at least not as much made me appreciate it even more. 

I also notice certain moral and philsophical matters when I go back and watch episodes of Batman The Animated Series, and now that I have experienced the pain of loss I can further empathize with Batman and his desire to honor the memory of his parents deaths without becoming like the monsters he is fighting. I also on a lighter note as I go back and watch some of my favorite cartoons from the 90's like Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy ect I notice certain references and innuedoes that previous flew over my head and got a good laugh out of them.

• Brohoof 2

King of the Hill, at first I thought it was another adult cartoon like the Simpsons/Family Guy/etc., but once I got older the jokes become a lot funnier

• Brohoof 3

The Pokemon adventures manga. Holy shit was that dark! Back then, I was just like "yay! Pokemon!" being completely oblivious to the storyline. Blue KILLS a freaking arbok! Split right in two, you see the acid flowing out of it! In the yellow saga, Lorelei and the elite four are actively trying to kill the protagonist and red's pikachu!

That... Is awesome! I've recently gone back to reading the adventure series; I found a site that's working on translating the ones that never made it to north america.

Edited by Celtore

(edited)

That... Is awesome! I've recently gone back to reading the adventure series; I found a site that's working on translating the ones that never made it to north america.

Holy shit are you serious? I knew it was darker and more mature than the anime but I didn't know about any of that. Now I absolutely have to read that, I haven't been this surprised at an alternate version of something since I found out how dark and gory the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics are.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

Holy shit are you serious? I knew it was darker and more mature than the anime but I didn't know about any of that. Now I absolutely have to read that, I haven't been this surprised at an alternate version of something since I found out how dark and gory the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics are.

I'm serious, it really is worth a read. I'm glad I picked it over the electric tale of pikachu from when I was a kid, but I've heard it has a... Well, different kind of mature content.

King of the Hill, at first I thought it was another adult cartoon like the Simpsons/Family Guy/etc., but once I got older the jokes become a lot funnier

I used to love it as a kid as well but didn't understand most of the jokes. Now it's one of my favorite shows ever. Fun fact: When I was a kid I used to stay up an extra hour to watch two episodes of King of the Hill and an episode of Seinfeld at like 2 AM on school nights. This was until they replaced both shows with reruns of TMZ  :okiedokielokie:

When I was 16, I hated Rainbow Dash.

Now, I'm 17, and I can appreciate her character and I like her :D

I also have grown to appreciate different kinds of music; it used to be exclusively grunge/'90s alt. Now I have a healthy mixture of nearly every genre of rock, and even some country (Waylon, Willie, and Cash. No one else.) 

Seriously, I listen from nearly everything from the Beatles to Lamb of God :D As long as it's good, I'll like it :D I gave up that "1 genre 4 lyfe" even if bands like Mudhoney, the Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam still reign supreme in all of my playlists :D

So...other genres of music? :D

• Brohoof 2

I also have grown to appreciate different kinds of music; it used to be exclusively grunge/'90s alt. Now I have a healthy mixture of nearly every genre of rock, and even some country (Waylon, Willie, and Cash. No one else.) 

I didn't like rap,heavy metal and stuff like that too much in part because there is a lot of it that is not very good and the fact that I have sensitive hearing and some people are a bit inconsiderate with how loud they can play that stuff did turn me off to a lot of that. The same friend who got me into ponies got me to give that kind of music a second chance and while there is plenty of it that meh there is also more that is good than I thought. I never was too big on country and I still am not but once I heard Johnny Cash's stuff he became one of my favorites, I love the combination of country and old school rock and role. I think that a lot of the early rap/hip hop is a lot better because it has lyrics and subject matter other than "bitches" and "ho's" which while I am not easily offended gets kind of boring and overdone if you ask me. 

I grew up listening to all sorts of different music as I said the OP I got exposed to all sorts of old school hymns (many of them hundreds of years old) and modern remixes of them thanks to my religious background. My Dad used to own an Italian restaurant and Italian opera music would be played. Saturdays were the days my brother and I would spend with our Dad and he would often play oldies (50's and 60's music) in his car so I associated that and still to this day do with him. I also was exposed to a young age to Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and other classical musicians. So I had an appreciation for music from a young age but began to appreciate it even more as I discovered my talent for music in middle school and fell in love with jazz music when I joined the school jazz band in high school. I also composed songs though it has been a while since I have actively done so, the piano is a difficult instrument to learn but it has so much versatility.

A few of the literary classics that High School tends to force on students fell a little flat for me back in the 90's. At best I considered them diluted due to the imitations that succeeded them, and at worst just pretentious.  When I got my first kindle a few years ago, I downloaded a few of the classics and found I was dead wrong about most of them. Frankenstein, The Good Earth, and The Great Gatsby are three notable examples. I think that being an adult with a family, serious responsibility, facing changing dreams, dealing with failures, and simply experiencing more of life had gone a long way in helping to appreciate the themes more.

In film, Groundhog Day. I thought it was a mildly amusing movie. When I caught the film on DVD a little, I saw the depth hiding in it.

Of course, there is the reverse of this concept. Few things are more disheartening that wanting to experience something that you loved in the past only to find out that all that remains is nostalgia. :(

That is a whole 'nother discussion though.

Spirited Away, because as a kid I thought No-Face was creepy and that the movie itself was scary. Now that I'm older I really like the development of Chihiro, that she 'grew up'.

I am going to quote what I said in another thread if you guys don't mind.

I recently saw Clerks II again and after coming back to it after what feels like forever and maturing a bit I relate to Dante so much that it is a bit disturbing. Like Dante I often wonder "what the hell am I doing with my life?" I am 28 and where I am now is not where I envisioned myself at this age and I often get angry and depressed because of that and get down on myself because I sometimes like a pathetic failure. In my efforts to piece things back together and back toward my goals I often forget the blessings that I do have and how many opportunities I still have and can sometimes fail to see certain ones because they didn't come from places I expected them to.I see him trying to escape his crappy, dead end job while holding onto the fragile grip he has on his own sanity and know that that is exactly what I am trying do right now. I have a more positive side of me that is willing to do what it takes to get out of there and follow my dreams but it is a constant struggle between that and my cynical side.

I wouldn't call it exactly appreciate,it's more to understand it.

I'm referring to Gulliver's Travels(The book,not the movie -_- )

Whwn i've first read the book,at the age of 13,i simply saw an adventure book,but,when I've started to read it again recently,i catched that,in truth,the book was a super critic to every aspect from the XVIII century :catface:

If you don't believe me,try to read the entire book

I think a lot of "kid's stuff" tends to go unappreciated on kids. Classic examples might be the Warner Bros. "looney" cartoons like Bugs Bunny. A lot of kids at the appropriate age want to watch more "grown-up" stuff; if they're allowed to watch an R-rated movie, they're gonna. Then when you're an adult and you have access to it all, you realize how pointless that pursuit was, and watch the stuff you ignored as a kid - because those adults who were willing to aim backwards in time were the really dedicated ones.

5000 Spirits or Layers of the Onion

As a kid I picked up this album because of the colorful artwork, The artwork is enough to attract any kid to it, Just look at it!

However I found the music to be weird and boring but when I got older I could understand the deep spiritual meaning of the album.

post-25859-0-24557700-1398040831_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

If you don't believe me,try to read the entire book

I had a similar experience with The Wizard of Oz, what most people don't know and I didn't until a few years ago is the The Wizard of Oz isn't just an ordinary fantasy story. The book the famous movie was based on is actually a criticism against the corrupt practices of the big banks at the time the "yellow brick road" is a reference to the gold standard the "man behind the curtain" is the establishment and the scarecrow, lion and tin man represent the general public. I disagree with the authors solution to this problem as he was a member of the Greenback movement which advocated eliminating the dollars ties to gold and having a pure paper standard. Eventually we did go to that but the difference between our system now and what he proposed is that he wanted the dollars to be printed interest free and was opposed to having a central bank. I do however respect the fact that he had the guts to speak out against the systemic corruption in the system and wake people up to what is going on.

• Brohoof 1

All the time. Pretty much my entire life this has been the case. I'm convinced that it's impossible for me to dislike everything. Even if I don't like it at first all it seems to take is time for me to find an appreciation for it. Whether it's five or ten years or simply a few months this remains true.

Oh my God, sleep.

I used to hate sleep. I'd stay up as late as I could and get up as early as I could while still bring functional. I used to pride myself on being able to go 3 days without sleep.

Now I fucking love sleep. I stay I bed as long as I can, I nap whenever possible. I even go to be early sometimes :o

In fact, I just took a nap earlier today. I'd probably still be in the bed now, but I want to be able to sleep well tonight. Have to work early tomorrow.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 2

Oh my God, sleep.

I used to hate sleep. I'd stay up as late as I could and get up as early as I could while still bring functional. I used to pride myself on being able to go 3 days without sleep.

Now I fucking love sleep. I stay I bed as long as I can, I nap whenever possible. I even go to be early sometimes :o

In fact, I just took a nap earlier today. I'd probably still be in the bed now, but I want to be able to sleep well tonight. Have to work early tomorrow.

Sleep is something that you don't appreciate when you're small.

As you grow up,you wanna sleep and sleep more and more,until you want to never wake up(?)

So,if any child is reading this,remember,you'll love aleeping soon or later :muffins:

• Brohoof 1