Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria, a collection of realms?

Zoraxe

I think there is a good chance that Equestria isn't so much a single kingdom, but rather an allied collection of subrealms and city states.

First of all, there is the fact that there is a Crystal Empire with its own princess and prince. thats the biggest thing supporting this idea.

Look at Manehattan, they didn't care that there was a princess there, because maybe the title of 'Princess' doesn't mean anything to them? Aristocrats can wait their turn for the taxi like everypony ells!

Also, at one point Flim and Flam say "...we don't care if the entire kingdom of Canterlot helps...". Now, that can be just saying the capital to mean the entire country, like sometimes people say Pyongyang when referring to North Korea, or Washington when referring to the USA. But it could also be that Canterlot itself is a subrealm in Equestria.

Interesting thing to think about.

Edited by Zoraxe

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that Celestia is higher in authority, but Luna, Cadance and Twilight are equal to each other.

It makes sense, considering that Faust was going to make Celestia a Queen but Hasbro made her make Celestia a "Princess". Now we have this weird princess system. Celestia should be a Queen but she isn't for some never explained reason.

Also, it is explicitly mentioned that the Unicorns had a King in Hearths warming eve. We know Clover the Clevers mentor was Starswirl the bearded. And from the comics we know that Celestia and Starswirl knew each other. So what exactly happened to Equestria?

Equestria's governing structure hasn't really been explored that well.

It's somewhat of a vague mystery as to whether or not some of these cities seem to act like their own city state or if there is much recognition between territories and such.  

Some vague allied collection of subrealms and city states might be plausible.  The reason we don't see some obvious form of state structure is because the writers really haven't gotten that far into world building (nor do I think they really will go that far unfortunately)  

And as you pointed out - why do we have princess system? an old mark leftover from Hasbro's intervention (evil queen trope or something to that matter).  So what's the point in this system? It's kind of oddly misunderstood. 

Each city sort of acting like it's own little territory, but in some vague coalition might be a possibility - but there isn't many details for us to analyze or look over unfortunately.

The comics are derivatives from the show, and it's not canon. I don't necessarily think Celestia could have been alive at the time of Star Swirl (which is clearly before Discord's time).

I think the system is similar to where Celestia "knights" fellow ponies to princesshood. So it seems to me that Equestria is ruled by one ruler, and the nobles (Luna, Cadence, Twilight) will rule over their respective territories.

The comics are derivatives from the show, and it's not canon. I don't necessarily think Celestia could have been alive at the time of Star Swirl (which is clearly before Discord's time).

I think the system is similar to where Celestia "knights" fellow ponies to princesshood. So it seems to me that Equestria is ruled by one ruler, and the nobles (Luna, Cadence, Twilight) will rule over their respective territories.

Really? I thought the comics were partially canon (and I only say that based off a vague memory of a EQD post that made claim from the writers that the comics were going to be canon, but in a background filling sense, will probably have to go look that up again if I can really confirm that though, late at the moment).

Celestia "knighting" princesses seems interesting to me.  Luna seems like in an oddball position, what territory does she rule over? I always kind of considered her co-ruler of Canterlot (ever since she got back from NMM).  and that she had (perhaps?) equal ruling status as her sister, but who knows (her lack of appearance is annoying; her micro-comic was hilarious however, and really seemed to give her an odd status as well).

One ruler society? Maybe. I figure she would have the most recognized status, over every city state in Equestria, given how long she's been ruling. 

I thought the comics were partially canon (and I only say that based off a vague memory of a EQD post that made claim from the writers that the comics were going to be canon, but in a background filling sense, will probably have to go look that up again if I can really confirm that though, late at the moment).

The article read:

4. IS IT CANON? The comic is set within show continuity, and is done in cooperation with the show staff. This is as close to the show as it gets without having it animated. I personally say yes, but it is really up to the individual to decide.

Price never comes out and says "This is canon". Of course he would personally say yes because it gets him more sales.

You'll find a lot of stuff in the comics, but a VERY large amount of the comics is distracting fanservice with an excessive number of pop culture references.

In the comics, Twilight's mom writes the Daring Do books. but in the show, Daring writes them herself. The second arrival of the Changelings and Nightmare? Doesn't correlate with the storyline with the show, due to the fact that they're conveniently "stashed" away until plot thickens.

Anywayssss, before I get off-topic, Luna's domain is to rule the night while Celestia is asleep. It does feel like an monarchy transitioning to an oligarchy with Celestia and company. Who knows what might happen in the end of the season? I feel like a power shift will happen.

(edited)

I think Luna is like her sister, a co-ruler of the entire land and still higher in authority than Cadence, Twilight, and "knighted" princesses. Luna has godlike powers like her sister, she can raise the moon, enter and manipulate ponies' dreams, and iirc transform into a creature even more powerful than Celestia (though whether she did that all on her own or had a little outside help is yet to be seen). So far, neither of the other princesses have been shown to do anything near that caliber. I think Luna is still a bit below her sis, though I'm not sure if it's always been that way or if it's part of the aftermath of the Nightmare Moon fiasco. In the first episode the two seemed to be equals before.

Edited by nami438

Well, this sounds like things that we already know. Equestria could be made up of many things that is why we analyze and speculate, to me it is more of a kingdom/country.

I see the historical Celestia and Luna part mythical God and part Realm Protector leaving each territory to be fairly governed by their own leadership.

Mane Six have been acting more like Realm Protectors due to the events in the show. I image Celestia being on edge in the time period between NMM being banished and her return, what with her mystical macguffin useless to her now.

Reconciling the other Alicorns with this hurts my head, which is probably why the writers leave it as unexplained as it is. They have a hard time creating a digestible explanation too. I can imagine McCarthy throwing something across the table at Polsky when brainstorming of ideas like this and just saying, "No!"

Never given it much thought...and never will :P

To paraphrase the immortal words a great TV theme song:

Please repeat to yourself, "It's just a show for little girls, I should really just relax."