Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is this fandom mostly male?

Andaasonsan

So why is it that guys seem to dominate this fandom, anyhow?

What I would have expected is that since it would be considered less weird for women to like MLP, that women would dominate as it would be easier for them to get into this show. Instead it's mostly dudes.

I have some guesses, but they're mostly speculation. There is the possibility that there is something about FiM that speaks to adult men but not adult women so much. Or maybe there are a lot more adult MLP fans overall, but they just don't participate as much. I've heard it suggested that there is rampant misogynism in this fandom that drives women away.

It could be any number of things, but this is something that has puzzled me for awhile. Thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

My simple speculation is this -

1. The fandom began on /co/. /co/ is a mostly male board.
  2. Other men were curious as to why other men were enjoying the show, so they went and checked it out. This is because it concerned their own gender. (Less so than the women, because /co/ didn't have as many women as they did men.)
  3. In turn, other men were curious as to why other men were enjoying the show, so they went and checked it out too. At this point it's extended way beyond /co/ and gone to the rest of the Internet.
  4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you get however many male Bronies there are in the world today.

So having began as a very small yet still mostly male fandom, on 4chan, the demographic extended in exactly the same way.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 26

I think it's just becuase men are more likely to watch cartoons than women.

There was a study on that.

But I don't think that it's primarily that, really.

It just seems to look like there are more men here because there are less woms on the internet as a whole.

• Brohoof 4

Ech. Doesn't matter much to me :D

I mean, yeahh, it's pretty dude heavy, but Flipturn took the words right out of my mouth and then some with the little 4chan info he provided :D

2. Other men were curious as to why other men were enjoying the show, so they went and checked it out. This is because it concerned their own gender. (Less so than the women, because /co/ didn't have as many women as they did men.)
  3. In turn, other men were curious as to why other men were enjoying the show, so they went and checked it out too. At this point it's extended way beyond /co/ and gone to the rest of the Internet.
  4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you get however many male Bronies there are in the world today.

So having began as a very small yet still mostly male fandom, on 4chan, the demographic extended in exactly the same way.

Basically, dudes saw that other dudes were interested in the show and checked it out :D Simple as that :D

• Brohoof 1

Basically, dudes saw that other dudes were interested in the show and checked it out :D Simple as that :D

But wait! Simplifying it to that makes it circular. Yes, it followed in that pattern, but it must have began somewhere mostly male as well. Of course, that's just /co/. Then the rest of blah.

But wait! Simplifying it to that makes it circular. Yes, it followed in that pattern, but it must have began somewhere mostly male as well. Of course, that's just /co/. Then the rest of blah.

Well in a world as polarized as ours is when something starts out in a fashion, I think it tends to stick predominantly to that baseline. Start with a male dominated fandom, continue with a male dominated fandom. A lot of one thing drives the other thing away. In this case, the other thing is girls.

• Brohoof 1

I concur with this post.  IMO, it has a massive crowd of "male" fans and that is b/c like Flipturn mentioned, the fandom began with males, and from there, it grew, :)

Because I like having meat between my legs.

Now, now Cyan. Let's be nice, :lol:

You mean a BROFEST!?!?!?!

to give a better answer. More guys are nerdy than girls, not saying geeky nerdy girls dont exist but there are probably more men who are nerds.

and yeah... ponies are kinda off the temprature list.

Bad sexist virgin joke: Dont need no girls when you got ponies.

Edited by SveciaDash

I think another part of the reason is, there are two separate fandoms where MLP is concerned. You have the Brony fandom; mostly focused on FIM/cartoon. And then you have the already existing MLP fandom. made up of those who were already fans of MLP before FIM came into existance.

While there are females who consider themselves Bronies, a lot of fans who came before FIM do not really call or consider themselves Brony. Some do, and there is mixing between the two but for lack of a better term, there are two herds.

• Brohoof 4

FiM is the best one tho... right?? RIGHT?

those who were fans before FiM must've had a bunfest.

I have no idea what a 'bunfest' is, please enlighten me.

FIM the best? Hum. It depends on what aspect of MLP you are talking about. If you are talking about the toy line itself, G1 is clearly the best due to it's quality of toy and diversity of product. In the toy line I would actually put FIM next to last.

I have no idea what a 'bunfest' is, please enlighten me.

FIM the best? Hum. It depends on what aspect of MLP you are talking about. If you are talking about the toy line itself, G1 is clearly the best due to it's quality of toy and diversity of product. In the toy line I would actually put FIM next to last.

A girls fest. cause they dont have sausages. They have buns.

A girls fest. cause they dont have sausages. They have buns.

actually there have been males into MLP since I've been online and that's been about 17-18 years.

Probably almost as long as a majority of you have been alive...but I wouldn't expect people who have only been into MLP for a few years to actually know that since y'all probably didn't know what the internet or MLP was 17 years ago.

actually there have been males into MLP since I've been online and that's been about 17-18 years.

Probably almost as long as a majority of you have been alive...but I wouldn't expect people who have only been into MLP for a few years to actually know that since y'all probably didn't know what the internet or MLP was 17 years ago.

Sure but the fanbase for MLP before FiM was probably mostly female.

And I mean... G 1.5 and onward up until G4 is pretty cringy

• Brohoof 1

I think it's just becuase men are more likely to watch cartoons than women.

There was a study on that.

But I don't think that it's primarily that, really.

It just seems to look like there are more men here because there are less woms on the internet as a whole.

I think these replies sum it up. It started primarily with males, and has just stayed that way for the most part. Though I would wager there are more than a few females who do not let their gender be known because of "internet fears" for a lack of better word.

The cartoons thing makes a lot of sense too. I'd say out of all the women I've known over the years, 90% of them thought cartoons were stupid. The ones who didn't probably still wouldn't watch something like FIM since it's seen as a little girl cartoon rather than something like Futurama.

• Brohoof 1

Sure but the fanbase for MLP before FiM was probably mostly female.

And I mean... G 1.5 and onward up until G4 is pretty cringy

Your opinion is MLP before G4 is cringy....my opinion is it's awesome.

Let's be all honest....

Clopper or not, these flanks are hot. :wub:

Your opinion is horse ass is hot, my opinion is a horses ass, is still a horses ass.