Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Organ Donors?

repsol rave

So i became a full body organ donor today, wich basically means that when i die, they can use everything from my body to help other people and maybe even save some lives!

And this got me thinking, how stands the fandom against organ donors? 

I heard some people say that they arn't donors, because they don't want people messing around with their organs. And another popular opinion seems to be that people don't want to 'just give it away'.

So what about you? Are you pro/against donoring, and why?

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 3

Nice! I'm an organ donor as well, I'm offering my entire body up for science or medical reasons after I die. I'm also an active blood donor, my blood type is O negative, which is awesome because everyone can accept the blood. The problem is finding a donor for myself if I'd ever need one, because I would only be able to get O negative blood only.

There is just one argument I don't like for not choosing to be a blood donor, well it isn't really an argument, I'm sure you can agree with me here Repsol, since you're from Holland as well. That argument being that people find it "too much work" to do it, or simply forget about it. They're pro-donorship, yet are too lazy to sign themselves up. I'm fine with people not wanting to become a donor for other reasons, because hey, it's their body and they have every right to choose what they want to do with it. The laziness makes me kinda sad though, because it's so easy registrating nowadays. No paperwork, just one mouseclick away.

I'm also thinking about donating a part of my liver mabye, and perhaps one kidney, while I'm alive. I don't need them that much, I'm not one that exhausts his body to extreme measures like athletes do.

Honestly, I wouldn't know why anyone would be specifically against donorship, there's nothing bad about it really, and it's a person's choice whether he or she wants to do it or not. I at least want everyone to think about it, make people more aware about donorship

• Brohoof 2

it's so easy registrating nowadays.

Yeah it's kinda sad. Tough i think it's awesome how the government handles it. They even send you a letter wich you can return to them free of charge when you become 18, in wich you can accept to be donor, or even donor of some selected organs.

Tough i feel like lots of people are still somehow against being a donor, for religious or even just plain ignorant reasons! 

I think when I got my permit back in 2005 I said I would be one (*checks* Yup), but things have changed so much since then. I would no longer wish having my organs upon anybody else.

Don't really know how to change that, though... I'm never going to be able to get a driver's license. >.<

• Brohoof 1

Yeah it's kinda sad. Tough i think it's awesome how the government handles it. They even send you a letter wich you can return to them free of charge when you become 18, in wich you can accept to be donor, or even donor of some selected organs.

Tough i feel like lots of people are still somehow against being a donor, for religious or even just plain ignorant reasons! 

That's very true, there's literally nothing that stops people from taking a simple letter and sending it away. And hey, if you don't want to send a letter, you can always use your DigiD to apply for donorship, everyone is going to have to use that one time in their life anyways. I'm fine with religious reasons though, it's their choice to believe something, and if they want to keep true to that, then that's totally fine. I just don't like the attitude of "Oh donorship kwhatever", I just hope people think about it sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

I just hope people think about it sometimes.

Yeah, tough i also understand how it isn't the very first thing on everybody's minds.

I mean, back when i decided to become one when i could (about 6 years ago) i never expectedto have such a bizzy life as i have now. And i'm only 18!

I guess especially in these times people have a lot of other stuff on their minds.

So i became a full body organ donor today, wich basically means that when i die, they can use everything from my body to help other people and maybe even save some lives!

And this got me thinking, how stands the fandom against organ donors?

I heard some people say that they arn't donors, because they don't want people messing around with their organs. And another popular opinion seems to be that people don't want to 'just give it away'.

So what about you? Are you pro/against donoring, and why?

I'm glad you brought this up. I support the practice, and am willing to do it myself. However, I need to look into my eligibility. The ICRC won't take my blood, and I've been turned down for bone marrow donations because I've spent too much time in "high risk" places like Niger and the West Bank. Maybe the rules are different for other donation purposes...I won't know until I look it up. Edited by NLR Information Minister
  • Brohoof 1

I am very thankful for each and every organ donor, a lot of people don't think about who they could be saving.

My Best Friend was diagnosed with something called Alport Syndrome, and at the age of 18 he went through his first organ transplant as his kidneys had failed, he has been given more time and a longer life because someone was an organ donor, he will need more transplants through his life but he is happy with that. 

Then there is me, I have a Genetic mutation that is causing my liver to die slowly though i do not drink or take medication, in the next 5 years I will be needing a liver transplant, and as with my friend, it will be a rinse and repeat situation until I finally pass away, but because of organ donors like those of you who are, I will get to live a longer life and a happier life.

So I want to thank those of you who are donors, thank you for saving someones life. 

• Brohoof 4

he has been given more time and a longer life because someone was an organ donor

I'm glad to hear your friend's operation was successful, that's really awesome! :D

I would like to be cremated when I die, but to be honest, I'll be dead so there's nothing I could do about it. Might as well donate my body to science instead of letting it rot in the ground or turn to ash

• Brohoof 1

Maybe when I'm older ill probably be a donor, but I'm not sure I can at 14.

Hey if one of my organs can save someone once I'm dead then I don't see any problem with it.

• Brohoof 2

I became an organ donor not too long ago when I got my I.D. I mean, i'll be dead, so..why have my precious organs go to waste when it can save someone's life, you know?

I am a very kind hearted person and love to help some people out. I almost donated blood..BUT...I was too skinny to donate, because I guess i'll pass out? Oh well, it kind of bummed me out, but..i'm an organ donor x3

• Brohoof 2

My mom said that doctors actually try less in saving your life if they see you're a donor.

Lots of people need organs, y'know...

My mom is also a registered nurse and unit clerk of..well...my entire childhood.

She knows hospitals.

Still, though.

I'm signed up as a donor.

• Brohoof 1

Full body donor here also~!

I truly long for the moment where I'll be put in small bottles.

I'll finally know what it feels like to be a pickle.. Oh wait, I'll be dead.. Darn..

• Brohoof 2

My mom said that doctors actually try less in saving your life if they see you're a donor.

Lots of people need organs, y'know...

My mom is also a registered nurse and unit clerk of..well...my entire childhood.

She knows hospitals.

Still, though.

I'm signed up as a donor.

This is NOT true, doctors will not know if you're an organ donor or not until you are dead. Only at death is the administration allowed to file in for papers to get information on whether a person is a donor or not. Unless corruption is a big part of wherever you live, you don't need to worry about it, doctors won't and can't kill you for organs.

This thought of doctors letting you die is bogus, it's a common fear that even professionals believe, my parents are doctors and they believe it as well, surprisingly they never got any information about a patient being a donor or not. Not only that, I called the donor administration about this, and they told be you can't get information on donors unless said person dies, and only the doctors receive the information.

• Brohoof 1

I am a full body organ donor myself. It wasn't a questionable choice either...

I am not a blood donor. I have hemophobia, which is the intense fear of blood. I cannot stand even fake blood shown in live action or cartoon shows without feeling feint, dizzy, and extremely nauseous. If it wasn't for that problem I would be a blood donor as well.

I think doing this stuff is a no brainer. If you are desiring to help somebody, the best thing anyone can do is donate to suffering people is vital organs for their own survival, especially if you are already dead yourself. Anyone can do this, and it's not like its going to hurt either :P....Plus, a bit of you will live on in someone else's life.

Edited by Treble Bolt