Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Many Christians Have Struggled With Being a Brony?

Stancet

Alot of people in this fandom have beliefs I completely oppose. I have no problem watching the show itself; I will probably always like it. However, part of being Christian (I am Orthodox) means affirming traditional gender roles (men being masculine and women being feminine), and it cannot be denied that there are alot of bronies who instinctively loathe traditionalist beliefs regarding gender and sexuality.

I wish things were different but aside from starting my own forum to appeal to this clientele (provided it even exists at all), I'm not sure what I could do.

if god can do anything, than can he create a rock to big for himself to move?

There's no such thing as a rock too heavy to lift. The basic laws of physics tell us that any mass can be moved, provided a greater force is exerted against the mass. This includes, theoretically, the Earth itself; see Archimedes' immortal quote.

Edited by NomDeSpite
  • Brohoof 1

There's no such thing as a rock too heavy to lift. The basic laws of physics tell us that any mass can be moved, provided a greater force is exerted against the mass. This includes, theoretically, the Earth itself; see Archimedes' immortal quote.

OK, but if God wanted to create one too big for him, could he? Or is he not powerful enough for that? 

OK, but if God wanted to create one too big for him, could he? Or is he not powerful enough for that?

God could create the most infinitely large rock in existence and still lift it comfortbly while checking His e-mail. Next question.

Because the concept of a rock that, by its nature, cannot be lifted, makes no sense. It's like saying "can God create a square circle?" Once again, next question.

CAN god create a square circle? He's god, he can do whatever he wants. If he can't create a square circle, than he's not all powerful is he? 

If he can't create a square circle, than he's not all powerful is he?

Power is not the issue. The issue is adherence to the Law Of Non-Contradiction. A square circle, by definition, defies the Law Of Non-Contradiction.

Power is not the issue. The issue is adherence to the Law Of Non-Contradiction. A square circle, by definition, defies the Law Of Non-Contradiction.

If I was God, I'd be all like BOOM square circle! Comprehend it mortals I can do that shit!

Edited by HarmoniousWhovian

I'd like to see how you plan to accomplish that.

Anyways, that's my last post in this exchange. We're going off topic.

Whatever man, you just don't like that I beat you at a game of paradoxes.

I mean, I'm just a mortal and I can imagine a square circle with my mortal brain and the mortal thoughts that GOD gave me. If god can't create a square circle, but I can imagine such a thing, and supposedly he can't because he can't create one, than I am as powerful as God right?

"Can God create a rock even he cannot lift?' is a nonsensical question. God's omniscience exceeds comprehension, so the existence of such a rock would similarly defy comprehension. As Aquinas states, "Hence it is better to say that such things cannot be done, than that God cannot do them. Nor is this contrary to the word of the angel, saying: 'No word shall be impossible with God.' For whatever implies a contradiction cannot be a word, because no intellect can possibly conceive such a thing" (ST I, Q 25, Art. 3, co.).

If anyone wants to continue discussing the omniscience paradox, you should either taking up a PM conversation or making a thread in the Debate Pit. I suggest we get back to talking about Christian bronies.

• Brohoof 1

"Can God create a rock even he cannot lift?' is a nonsensical question. God's omniscience exceeds comprehension, so the existence of such a rock would similarly defy comprehension. As Aquinas states, "Hence it is better to say that such things cannot be done, than that God cannot do them. Nor is this contrary to the word of the angel, saying: 'No word shall be impossible with God.' For whatever implies a contradiction cannot be a word, because no intellect can possibly conceive such a thing" (ST I, Q 25, Art. 3, co.).   If anyone wants to continue discussing the omniscience paradox, I suggest either taking up a PM conversation or making a thread in the Debate Pit. I suggest we get back to talking about Christian bronies.

Oh, if you want to get into contradictions in the bible, I could argue all day:

VIDEO CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT! 

Edited by HarmoniousWhovian
  • Brohoof 1

Disclaimer: I'm about to talk about religion, so if you think it's bullshit, let's agree to disagree.

I, myself, have ran into issues with the fandom just for being a Christian. I've said it a thousand times, and I'm gonna keep saying it; we don't live up to the fandom's motto. Don't try to convince yourself otherwise. It's as sure as the sun rises everyday. I think an issue that encourages this is because the fandom is SO diverse. There're literally all kinds of people in the community, so it's only natural that we run into conflicts with each other from time to time. But, once again.

If we can't live up to our motto, which stands for "Love and Tolerance", why fucking have it?

Oh, if you want to get into contradictions in the bible, I could argue all day:

As I said, if you wish to continue this conversation, either do so via PM or make a dedicated topic in the Debate Pit. Any other off-topic posts will be removed.

@,@@Dattebayo,

Well, there are reasons. Bronies are a group of people with many different religions, but some Christians just find it hard to be friends with people who aren't Christian. There's also Rule 34. But in all honestly, I think Love and Tolerance is about doing and not saying.

I am a Christian. I have plenty of friends who aren't and I'm ok with that. I'm not pushy on others on religion and if they don't want to believe that's not my problem. It's more theirs. SO yep. But more importantly the bible doesn't say anything about not loving ponies. And I think the only problem would be getting to caught up in it like deeply. That's all. I like this show and I'm sticking to it.

• Brohoof 1

"Just food for thought."

because that was meant not to be an insult right... I did not open any paradox I only gave a flipping opinion about something that was asked for on this thread THAT'S it it didn't have to go into a huge deal because It WAS NOT a huge deal it was just a damn opinion

Edited by MarcelineA

But, once again. If we can't live up to our motto, which stands for "Love and Tolerance", why fucking have it?

Regarding "tolerance", I am simply a person who likes Friendship Is Magic. I never agreed to abide by any "motto", nor is that a motto Christians should abide by. Jesus had the opportunity to "tolerate" the money chargers in the temple. He didn't. He threw them out using physical force. The hippified image of Jesus is something I want nothing to do with.

I do ask that you hold the proverbial phone. Sorry if I offended you, I just enjoy and am fascinated by the concept paradoxes. My previous comment wasn't an attack on you or your religion, I was just pointing out something that has puzzled man and women kind for years. It's interesting to me, and I wanted to share my interests with the people around me. *Sigh* But I suppose the intellectual wasteland that is the internet cares little for my opinions or outlooks on life. Oh woe is me cursed to wonder this easily upset earth with my opinions that nopony gives a care to. The other members of my genus refuting my personal outlooks with obsessive cantankerous behavior and misplaced loathsomeness.

It saddens me. You sadden me. I bid you adieu fellow Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primate Hominidae Hominini Homo H. sapien. Adieu casteur. 

sorry I misinterpreted /).(\

Well you see to ME there's a difference between being religious and an actual believer

religion drags you down

believing and having faith comes from the heart

and as long as we don't hurt anyone or ourselves then we shouldn't worry about crap

also this here is a from a comment I found in YouTube: "God created the laws of the universe, so why can't He bend them"

that's what comes to mind when people worry about silly things (referring to religious people who judge someone based on little things)

just my opinion nothing in particular ya know

Umm, nope. The fact that some people misuse religion and faith for their own purposes doesn't mean religion is a bad thing. It only gives church as a constitution a bad name.

I agree that believing and having faith comes from the heart though.

And Christians who judge someone based on little things (actually, based on ANYTHING) aren't truly following the ideology of Christianity. Bible is a book of love. Bible says we shouldn't judge anyone on anything. Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Actually, if you look closer, you'll see MLP actually promotes some of the Christ' teachings.

So there is absolutely no reason for any Christians to feel wrong about watching the show. In fact, I could only see the show helping some people understand some of the ideologies of Christianity, because they are implied in the show as well.

TOTAL OFF TOPIC: I really like your avatar! :squee:

• Brohoof 3

Umm, nope. The fact that some people misuse religion and faith for their own purposes doesn't mean religion is a bad thing. It only gives church as a constitution a bad name.

I agree that believing and having faith comes from the heart though.

And Christians who judge someone based on little things (actually, based on ANYTHING) aren't truly following the ideology of Christianity. Bible is a book of love. Bible says we shouldn't judge anyone on anything. Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Actually, if you look closer, you'll see MLP actually promotes some of the Christ' teachings.

So there is absolutely no reason for any Christians to feel wrong about watching the show. In fact, I could only see the show helping some people understand some of the ideologies of Christianity, because they are implied in the show as well.

TOTAL OFF TOPIC: I really like your avatar! :squee:

thanks :D and yeah you're actually right sorry I wasn't actually clear though I divided those not only because of people that missuse it but also there's stuff withing what it's preached that I don't agree with THAT'S what I meant when I said that like stuff that is on the scriptures perhaps it's not that I don't 100% believe them is that they were put there on different circumstances and a lot of churches have very different beliefs I know what I mean I've been to many churches and they can be lovely people but some stuff they mention I don't agree with (whether it has to do with judging or not) but I do get your point thanks for wording this better than I did /).(\ C:

• Brohoof 1

thanks :D and yeah you're actually right sorry I wasn't actually clear though I divided those not only because of people that missuse it but also there's stuff withing what it's preached that I don't agree with THAT'S what I meant when I said that like stuff that is on the scriptures perhaps it's not that I don't 100% believe them is that they were put there on different circumstances and a lot of churches have very different beliefs I know what I mean I've been to many churches and they can be lovely people but some stuff they mention I don't agree with (whether it has to do with judging or not) but I do get your point thanks for wording this better than I did /).(\ C:

No problem :)

Well, you still have to keep in mind that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and Hebrew can be translated in 1000 possibilities. Because one word can mean A LOT of things in Hebrew. So, there is A LOT of things that could have been wrongly translated. And maybe some people intentionally translated some of the things wrong, so they could manipulate with people much easier.

And again, you said people in different churches mentioned things you don't agree with. Well, who said they were all following the Bible while speaking? I mean, pastor at my church sometimes preaches some serious hate at the service, which still doesn't mean religion is bad, because he wasn't promoting things that Bible does. :)

No problem :)

Well, you still have to keep in mind that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and Hebrew can be translated in 1000 possibilities. Because one word can mean A LOT of things in Hebrew. So, there is A LOT of things that could have been wrongly translated. And maybe some people intentionally translated some of the things wrong, so they could manipulate with people much easier.

And again, you said people in different churches mentioned things you don't agree with. Well, who said they were all following the Bible while speaking? I mean, pastor at my church sometimes preaches some serious hate at the service, which still doesn't mean religion is bad, because he wasn't promoting things that Bible does. :)

Well I get what you mean >__< again you worded things better that's what I was trying to say plus also the timing of the events matter too (that's what my mom always tells me because back then there were things that were ok and things that weren't that now are different but sometimes people takes things too literary) so yeah sorry XD well thumbs up for religion then (when it's used correctly) I'm glad I FINALLY found a good church around here in the town I live recently though it took me a WHILE o_o most churches here even give you crap for wearing piercings and coloring your hair seriously one of my friends came out of one crying :C I invited her to mine I hope she goes someday .-.

Edited by MarcelineA
  • Brohoof 1

if god can do anything, than can he create a rock to big for himself to move?

Ah, the age-old paradox trying to trick Christians into admitting that God isn't all-powerful. Here's why it doesn't work: "all-powerful" doesn't necessarily mean "able to do literally anything". It simply means that God has all power, or power over all things. As NomDeSpite pointed out with the Law of Non-Contradictions, even if God has power over everything, He cannot do the logically impossible. Yes, He could bend the laws of physics and reality such that a square could also be a circle, but that would mean changing the definition of what "square" and "circle" meant, so it wouldn't really be making a square circle in the strictest sense. Similarly, God couldn't create a married man who is a bachelor, unless He changed what "married" and "bachelor" meant.

Basically, God cannot create something that defies its own nature. He can't make something that is not what it is.

And even the Bible points out at least one thing that God can't do. Hebrews 6:18:

so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us [emphasis added]

"All-powerful" doesn't mean "can do anything". It just means He has power over everything, because He made it all and designed the laws that govern it.