Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Many Christians Have Struggled With Being a Brony?

Stancet

In fact, I could only see the show helping some people understand some of the ideologies of Christianity, because they are implied in the show as well.

If I had a child and was trying to use an illustration to help understand the corrupting nature of sin, and how God must open peoples eyes to bring them to repent; the story of Luna/ Nightmare Moon would be a pretty good example in my book. Even the form of Luna right after having been freed from the Nightmare Moon form, has almost a "being born again" vibe to it. ( My meme sense is tingling for some reason )

So like I said, MLP and being a Christian, don't have a bit of trouble reconciling the two. If anything my "Broniness" springs from my Faith in Christ.

And this was shared in the "Any Christian Bronies?" thread but I think it's particularly poignant given our current topic: post-25260-0-08392700-1398024608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Virgil_Harris
  • Brohoof 3

Being a Christian (Roman Catholic) I've had no conflicts between that and liking MLP. I find that a lot of what the show is about meshes fine. As for the magic in it- LOL it's a CARTOON people!

I did have a problem wondering WHY I liked the show in general however. There is nothing else quite like it that I like.

Somehow I didn't find out about MLP until around Christmas '13 and that wasn't because of stuff floating around the internet. I was just wondering what Tara strong was working on these days.

Being 25, and busy with stuff, I don't watch cartoons much even though I still like to.

• I decided to see what I could find of the show on YouTube and just expected to laugh at how bad it was.
  • I thought some of it was a little hokey but actually pretty good overall. Then I found out how popular it was and was very surprised.

Anyway it was second worst winter ever (by the records) here in Michigan, so aside from work I wasn't doing as much as I usually am. This was good because I had entered the "why the hell am I watching this now?" phase.

This was really starting to bug me, so I started to research and "take apart" the show to hopefully find some good answers.

I figure I like it because:

• Lauren Faust and her great vision and character designs. (I'm so glad she didn't make GIANT HEADS.)
  • The animation and the extra effort put into it. (I've worked with flash a little for animating and can see the stuff/methods they use that makes it so good.)
  • The voice acting cast.
  • The writing because they don't rely on cheap stupidity like a lot of the other current cartoons.
  • I also like that the main characters are actually OLDER and on their own- late teens-early 20's
  • I like the Irony of the effort put into this show compared to a lot of crappy shows (not just cartoons/kids shows) that are very popular.

I also like a lot of the fan animations and artwork

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 4

Well I get what you mean >__< again you worded things better that's what I was trying to say plus also the timing of the events matter too (that's what my mom always tells me because back then there were things that were ok and things that weren't that now are different but sometimes people takes things too literary) so yeah sorry XD well thumbs up for religion then (when it's used correctly) I'm glad I FINALLY found a good church around here in the town I live recently though it took me a WHILE o_o most churches here even give you crap for wearing piercings and coloring your hair seriously one of my friends came out of one crying :C I invited her to mine I hope she goes someday .-.

I agree :)

I'm glad that you found a nice place to praise the Lord, it's certainly not nice when people are being rude to you in such a holy building :)

@Virgil_Harris YES. I couldn't agree more. Actually, if you look even deeper, you'll see the analogy between God/satan and Celestia/nightmare moon.

Both been good at first, but turned corrupt. Both banished. You get the idea :)

• Brohoof 2

I agree :)

I'm glad that you found a nice place to praise the Lord, it's certainly not nice when people are being rude to you in such a holy building :)

@Virgil_Harris YES. I couldn't agree more. Actually, if you look even deeper, you'll see the analogy between God/satan and Celestia/nightmare moon.

Both been good at first, but turned corrupt. Both banished. You get the idea :)

Well, 'cept for the bit where Satan seems to be a bit beyond redemption. And I don't think there's any prophesy about the starts aiding in his escape after 1,000 years. :D

• Brohoof 2

Well, 'cept for the bit where Satan seems to be a bit beyond redemption. And I don't think there's any prophesy about the starts aiding in his escape after 1,000 years. :D

Well, of course I know that :lol:

I didn't say it's the completely same thing, I just said there is some analogy :)

Edited by equerio
  • Brohoof 2

@@Henny Penny Benny, @@equerio, Well that settles it, if I can get my proposed youtube MLP reviews/ analysis vids up and going; maybe I should start a mini-series entitled "Theology, Ponies, and You". :lol:

That would be fantastic! I've wanted to get into making regular videos on my channel for a while, but I keep so busy with school that it always falls by the wayside. And there are already so many YouTube Pony Reviewers/Analyzers, I don't know how I would set myself apart and actually get any views. :(

• Brohoof 2

Define struggled? I'm LDS and my cousins are brony's and a lot of others in their church.... soo. try to be more blunt please.

Personally, I've had to learn how to tolerate some things the Bronies support that seem to clash with Christian ideas. Homosexuality, for one thing. Shipping used to bother me, until I realized people should take whatever love they can get cuz there doesn't seem to be enough of it in the world. 

It's tolerance in general. I once felt forced to leave the Bronies cuz I felt my personal oppinions didn't matter next to the Bible. Thankfully, I think I see things a little clearer now.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Reformed (Calvinist) Baptist myself.

It wasn't really much of a struggle for me to consider liking the show. Even before I liked the show, I never really saw it as being totally wrong. Strange yes. Downright nerdy and eccentric to bananas yes. But sinful in itself, not necessarily no.

Of course, this doesn't mean for any matter that I would support or get involved with everything that is in the fandom. For that matter, I wouldn't trust the show for guidance in my life either.

• Brohoof 2

What?! Hmm... I don't particularly fancy when christians go around saying that because a show has magic it tends to be sinful.

I've seen shows and movies such as Yu-Gi-Oh! and Harry Potter being criticised, but how on earth could there be a problem with MLP?

Especially since the show tends to teach us how to be a better person! 

Though, I can't say I'm really a fan of shipping either. Never have been, never will.

Ugh, this thread was just MADE for flame wars... >.> But it is a very good question! Being a fourteen y/o Pegasister who's a Christian myself, I have to say that no I haven't. I mean, what exactly is there that could be contradictory for a Christian in MLP? :/

• Brohoof 2

Hm, that's a good point Blue. I personally think people worry and hate things for the silliest reasons sometimes! Like Pokémon being called "evil" for example... (look it up on Google if you wanna see what I'm talking about. It's ridiculous!)

(edited)

Oh hey, this thread again! Been a while.

Reading back through it—and just, y'know, in life in general—I've noticed a somewhat recurring idea: that some Christians have just come to accept popular opinions that contradict Scripture so as to fit in wherever, be it in this fandom, in social circles, in jobs, etc. I think I read a comment somewhere to the effect of "I just loved MLP too much to hold onto those conservative views."

Now, I'm no theology expert, but it seems to me that a key part of being Christian—if not the primary tenet of the faith—is holding Scripture to be the absolute authority. Once we start to treat any part of it as just some kind of vague guidebook, we kind of cease to be Christians. Jesus didn't say, "I am a Pretty Good Way, but y'know, just don't be a jerk and you'll come to the Father." No. He said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me" (John 14:6). I don't see much leeway there. Seems to me that, if something is at odds with my Christian faith in any way, I gots to quit the something and hold onto my faith.

I ain't saying that Christians have to quit Ponies, 'cause I don't see it being at odds with Christianity in and of itself. The point I'm trying to make is simply that being a fan of MLP shouldn't cause Christians to compromise on what Scripture says; if it does cause that, a break from Ponies may be in order. That is, if the person in question is truly serious about his or her faith.

Also, to any non-Christians who find their way to this thread, I'm not trying to convert you (not with this comment, anyway :umad:). My comment wasn't meant for evangelism, simply for encouragement of my fellow believers.

Although if you do feel compelled to follow Jesus after reading this, I certainly won't argue. :D

Edited by Henny Penny Benny

Oh hey, this thread again! Been a while.

Reading back through it—and just, y'know, in life in general—I've noticed a somewhat recurring idea: that some Christians have just come to accept popular opinions that contradict Scripture so as to fit in wherever, be it in this fandom, in social circles, in jobs, etc. I think I read a comment somewhere to the effect of "I just loved MLP too much to hold onto those conservative views."

Now, I'm no theology expert, but it seems to me that a key part of being Christian—if not the primary tenet of the faith—is holding Scripture to be the absolute authority. Once we start to treat any part of it as just some kind of vague guidebook, we kind of cease to be Christians. Jesus didn't say, "I am a Pretty Good Way, but y'know, just don't be a jerk and you'll come to the Father." No. He said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me" (John 14:6). I don't see much leeway there. Seems to me that, if something is at odds with my Christian faith in any way, I gots to quit the something and hold onto my faith.

I ain't saying that Christians have to quit Ponies, 'cause I don't see it being at odds with Christianity in and of itself. The point I'm trying to make is simply that being a fan of MLP shouldn't cause Christians to compromise on what Scripture says; if it does cause that, a break from Ponies may be in order. That is, if the person in question is truly serious about his or her faith.

Also, to any non-Christians who find their way to this thread, I'm not trying to convert you (not with this comment, anyway :umad:). My comment wasn't meant for evangelism, simply for encouragement of my fellow believers.

Although if you do feel compelled to follow Jesus after reading this, I certainly won't argue. :D

Yes indeed. and the same could be said of any fandom as well honestly.

• Brohoof 1

Im a Christian and dealt with stupid Christians about magic. A lot of stuff I like makes people be stupid towards me. I've seen a Christian television talk show that dealt with being a brony and MLP. Never before had I felt such a deep hatred.

• 6 years later...

I guess I kinda struggled with it at the beginning, but now, I just kinda ignore anything that would contradict or insult (To a fair degree) my views and religion since it only causes a bunch of unnecessary and unwanted arguments. Now if someone goes full out and insults my beliefs, you're gonna have to deal with the holy whip.:mustache:

• 1 year later...

Lemme tell y’all somthin. Me, as a Christian could never tell my family that I’m a Brony. I don’t know why, but they think it’s weird. I don’t care tho, and I love both things so I’m not gonna drop one for the sake of making someone happy. If it comes to one or another, I’m still choosing Christianity, but I have no reason to be disliked by my fellow Christians because I’m a Christian. I think the situation I’m in is total bs. Just let me watch a kid show. I also don’t think that Christianity is gonna mess with the magic in the show because it’s about the magic of friendship and stuff like that, and the good characters don’t use bad magic. That’s my idea tho.

• Brohoof 1

On 2020-09-06 at 7:09 PM, Sondash Studios said:

I guess I kinda struggled with it at the beginning, but now, I just kinda ignore anything that would contradict or insult (To a fair degree) my views and religion since it only causes a bunch of unnecessary and unwanted arguments. Now if someone goes full out and insults my beliefs, you're gonna have to deal with the holy whip.:mustache:

You shouldn’t drop your interests or beliefs for someone else’s enjoyment. Be yourself. That’s my thought on it :3

1 hour ago, Dominic_The_Pony said:

I also don’t think that Christianity is gonna mess with the magic in the show because it’s about the magic of friendship and stuff like that, and the good characters don’t use bad magic. That’s my idea tho.

I don't think magic in their universe is inherently bad or good, but...well, that's a worldbuilding point, and probably debatable.

In any case, I never had a problem with the show itself---I've never really stopped liking kids' shows (or video games, for that matter) going into adulthood, and my family never had a real problem with that.  Dealing with the fact that the fandom---and the internet in general---have values quite different from my own has been a little bit of a drag now and then, though.

• Brohoof 1