Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What are the best guitars?

bailey2

So what do you think are the best guitars and what guitar(s) do you use?

For acoustic I have a Faith Saturn, It's a really good guitar for the price but if i'm honest, I would prefer a 12-string acoustic, I can play them a lot better and I really like the sound, I think I will be getting one in the near future.

As for electric guitars, I wasn't very creative and went for two popular brands, Fender and Gibson.

My Fender is a Stratocaster and I love it, It was the first guitar I brought that wasn't a beginner guitar, It was part of a "Special Edition" at the time I brought it and it's very reliable, The wood is amazing quality and it feels indestructible (even though I know it's not), It's a lot of fun to mess around with and has many great sounds..

My second electric guitar is a Gibson SG, I brought it with my Christmas money, Birthday money and personal savings, I guess it's the most "expensive" guitar I own, It has a very different sound to the Fender, It's a lot clearer and has more of a "rock" sound I guess.

The guitar I play the most is the acoustic guitar but my favorite is the Stratocaster because it's very reliable and every time I play it I still feel the same excitement as the day I brought it, I'm not sure why, It just has a kind of "magic". to it.

I would love to hear what you guys think. :) 

Maybe it's just mine but as much as I like my 12 string it just doesn't sound as good with a capo on it FYI. Also never leave E standard with them. Too much tension on the neck otherwise and they're a royal pain to retune anyway.

As for my other guitars my main two are fairly similar to yours. 

I also have a fender strat, my first electric and I'm a fairly large fan of it. Only don't like that it sounds bad with my headphones plugged in but that might be an amp/adapter issue. Doesn't get the distortion I want either, but again it was only a $100 amp so it might be from there too.

For my acoustic (my favorite) I have a Great Divide. Not the worst thing in the world for what I paid for it but I am looking to upgrade to something better. Though I tend to play in slightly odd tunings so over time it has developed a couple of issues anyway. 3rd fred popping up, certain strings tend to snap very easily etc...But currently I have it tuned to C# standard and I hate retuning it. I play with size 13 strings though to avoid buzzing too bad.

I also have an 8 string that I don't know what brand it is off the top of my head. The frets are fairly wide so I tend to avoid using it unless I get really bored. Tuned it to DADGCFAD so basically I can replicate a bass if need be, just can't do all the fancy stuff. 

I think the best acoustic guitar is the Gator GC. As for the guitar that I use, the Ibanez PC15 Acoustic Guitar is the one that I play most of my songs on.

Maybe it's just mine but as much as I like my 12 string it just doesn't sound as good with a capo on it FYI. Also never leave E standard with them. Too much tension on the neck otherwise and they're a royal pain to retune anyway.

As for my other guitars my main two are fairly similar to yours. 

I also have a fender strat, my first electric and I'm a fairly large fan of it. Only don't like that it sounds bad with my headphones plugged in but that might be an amp/adapter issue. Doesn't get the distortion I want either, but again it was only a $100 amp so it might be from there too.

For my acoustic (my favorite) I have a Great Divide. Not the worst thing in the world for what I paid for it but I am looking to upgrade to something better. Though I tend to play in slightly odd tunings so over time it has developed a couple of issues anyway. 3rd fred popping up, certain strings tend to snap very easily etc...But currently I have it tuned to C# standard and I hate retuning it. I play with size 13 strings though to avoid buzzing too bad.

I also have an 8 string that I don't know what brand it is off the top of my head. The frets are fairly wide so I tend to avoid using it unless I get really bored. Tuned it to DADGCFAD so basically I can replicate a bass if need be, just can't do all the fancy stuff. 

I was thinking about Guild 12-string guitar, I am a big fan of Nick Drake so I've always wanted one.

It doesn't really matter which guitar I use though, because I record all of my songs on a 6 year old iPod and they all sound terrible and boring, How would you recommend recording without using a computer?

Here's how terrible my songs currently sound.

I really dislike recording on an iPod it makes me sound really rubbish. :( 

Dean and Ibanez are pretty high up there in terms of electric guitars, especially if metal's yer game. I personally own a 7-string Dean Vendetta, which isn't stellar since it was only $190, but it gets the job done.

The guitars that my friend/band's guitarist J.P. has, however, are freakin' amazing. His main guitar is a 7-string Ibanez UV777-BK:

IbanezUV777_BK700.jpg

I've played this baby myself, and it's definitely one of the smoothest guitars a metal musician could hope to get their hands on.

His other is a Dean RC7 Wraith, which looks just as badass as it sounds:

rc7xwraith.jpg

Played this one as well, and the ebony fretboard has one of the nicest feels of any guitar I've ever played. In fact, I like it so much that I'm going to make sure the next bass I buy has an ebony fretboard.

Without going to a studio, there's not much you can do without a computer. There's a few attachments, mics and stuff for ipods, but they're kinda hard to find and I dunno how well they work. 

Personally I use something called Audiobox. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world and is a bit on the fussy side of when it wants to work, but it gets the job done. It is for computer though. If I record something later I'll post a demo for sound purposes.

I actually got into the 12 string thing from listening to a lot of country music. It's fairly common and sounds great by itself if you just want to cover something and feel it just needs something extra.

Personally, I think that Tanglewood guitars are very good, compared to the price they have. I've had an acoustic TW1000C B Tanglewood guitar for about 3 years and it never let me down.

As for electric guitars, I will go ahead and say Ibanez is one of the best guitar brands. Simple as that.

Without going to a studio, there's not much you can do without a computer. There's a few attachments, mics and stuff for ipods, but they're kinda hard to find and I dunno how well they work. 

Personally I use something called Audiobox. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world and is a bit on the fussy side of when it wants to work, but it gets the job done. It is for computer though. If I record something later I'll post a demo for sound purposes.

I actually got into the 12 string thing from listening to a lot of country music. It's fairly common and sounds great by itself if you just want to cover something and feel it just needs something extra.

I would use my computer but it doesn't record sound, It sounds like it's being recorded underwater. :P

Dean and Ibanez are pretty high up there in terms of electric guitars, especially if metal's yer game. I personally own a 7-string Dean Vendetta, which isn't stellar since it was only $190, but it gets the job done.

The guitars that my friend/band's guitarist J.P. has, however, are freakin' amazing. His main guitar is a 7-string Ibanez UV777-BK:

IbanezUV777_BK700.jpg

I've played this baby myself, and it's definitely one of the smoothest guitars a metal musician could hope to get their hands on.

His other is a Dean RC7 Wraith, which looks just as badass as it sounds:

rc7xwraith.jpg

Played this one as well, and the ebony fretboard has one of the nicest feels of any guitar I've ever played. In fact, I like it so much that I'm going to make sure the next bass I buy has an ebony fretboard.

Those look great, Unfortunate for me though because I am into old music. xD 

Personally, I think that Tanglewood guitars are very good, compared to the price they have. I've had an acoustic TW1000C B Tanglewood guitar for about 3 years and it never let me down.

As for electric guitars, I will go ahead and say Ibanez is one of the best guitar brands. Simple as that.

I was going to get a Tanglewood, The guy at the guitar shop even offered to include a free case, However the guy I was playing with at the time told me Faith was more suitable, He never explained why though.  :blink:

My brother owns a Fender Stratocaster and A Gibson 12 string acoustic guitar. (Don't know what the model is called) He tried a few times to teach me to play...It didn't work!

LOL!

Oh, he also owns a guitar pick used by and personally handed to him by B.B. King. I seriously think it's his most prized possession.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

My favorite is the Gibson Les Paul. The mahogany body and neck with humbuckers gives it a warm low end that the Strat just can't pull off. There's also that sustain. You can play a note and go have lunch, sleep it off, and get your driver's license renewed and it'll still hold the note. It's a little (read: a lot) heavier than the Strat but newer models have holes inside them to cut down on some weight. I fingerpick and I've noticed the strings are a little bit closer together on a Gibson than a Fender. I have small fingers so that doesn't affect me however it may if you have fat sausage fingers.

• Brohoof 1

Gibson/Epiphone is a very classic company that delivers that signature balanced tone. To me, strats have a little too much high end, even on the two middle pickups. So it's epiphone for me. 

I have an epiphone SG Special myself. 

Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar1.jpg

@bailey2 

This is the results of audiobox. It sounds bad in parts because it's supposed to. The song had really weird chord changes. Also tuned 3 1/2 steps down so that gives it an off sound here and there. Also first time uploading anything, so be nice ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UYaxs3YBtM

That's great, A whole lot better than using an iPod, I will look into it, I might need to buy a new laptop while i'm at it because this one records like it's underwater, For some reason every Toshiba laptop I've ever owned sounds underwater.  :lol:

Well  you wouldn't have to get a whole new laptop as long as your usb port works. between the box and the mic it was like $450 or so. It's a literal box that you plug a mic or an electric into and then plug it into your computer. Only issues are like I said is it can be fussy, it's a roundabout process to get an mp3 exported (I had to google it), and I have no idea whatsoever as to how put distortion on an electric so I still don't record with it.

I should also specify, I played that with a capo on 3 to make it sound "normal" so yeah.

Edited by johnwuzhere1993

Well  you wouldn't have to get a whole new laptop as long as your usb port works. between the box and the mic it was like $450 or so. It's a literal box that you plug a mic or an electric into and then plug it into your computer. Only issues are like I said is it can be fussy, it's a roundabout process to get an mp3 exported (I had to google it), and I have no idea whatsoever as to how put distortion on an electric so I still don't record with it.

I should also specify, I played that with a capo on 3 to make it sound "normal" so yeah.

It sounded great, Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm gonna look into it and most likely buy it after the weekend. (I have a huge vinyl record addiction and all the events take place at the weekend  :lol: )

Well, for electric guitars, I have a Godin SD custom and it do the job very well lol. I don't need a better guitar. As I said, it's the guitar for the rest of my life. ^_^

But for the accoustics.. I have tried many sincerely. I even own a Fender Sonoran limited Edition, for Mustang's 45th anniversary. (Only produced 300 of them) Well, I have never went across a better souding guitar than that cheap Fiesta I have. It's actually a very cheap thing produced in Korea, during the 70's... Well, it is a mess to play with, but the sound is absolutely astonishing. It's incredible. xD You won't find them anywhere, these things are uberly rare, collectibles even, and I own the only accoustic known to exist. (Maybe they are hiding in random people's garages and stuff...)

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/194141-fiesta-guitars-not-fiesta-red-guitars.html (Mine is at the bottom)

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

Objectively it'd be the Mayones Regius series, MusicMan John Petrucci series, or one of the Suhr custom series models. I hate to sound like a snob but most mainstream guitar companies are terrible by comparison (the only decent one is Ibanez in my opinion, and even then they have their flaws such as poor wood choices and awful stock pickups), and the adage that brand name doesn't always correlate with quality is especially true in the guitar industry in my opinion.

If I'm speaking subjectively, I'll say the Mayones Setius since that's the best guitar I currently own. I also really like the look of the guitars from the Dæmoness custom workshop, but I can't say how good they actually are personally as I've never played any. 

• Brohoof 2

I love my Epiphone SG Special. It has a very nice warm tone can really get good depth on the rhythm pickup. It's got double-coils, but I may switch them to humbuckers at a certain point. 

I like Yamaha acoustics because they are nice and bright in sound. Their sound is also nice and thick. I own a Yamaha FG series acoustic. 

I have pretty much given up on finding the guitar that I like, from just hearing the sound. I have spent countless hours searching on Youtube, but most guitars, no matter how popular they are, don't give the sound I am looking for.
I hate having to wait for years until I am lucky to get a visual to the sound. :unamused:

On 12/6/2019 at 7:20 PM, Splashee said:

I have pretty much given up on finding the guitar that I like, from just hearing the sound. I have spent countless hours searching on Youtube, but most guitars, no matter how popular they are, don't give the sound I am looking for.
I hate having to wait for years until I am lucky to get a visual to the sound. :unamused:

Maybe the sound you're looking for is an artificial one. You'd need to try different effect pedals with different guitars and see which one do you like.

I love my Les Paul, though I barely play it. Is more like a collector piece than anything else xD

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Maybe the sound you're looking for is an artificial one. You'd need to try different effect pedals with different guitars and see which one do you like.

I love my Les Paul, though I barely play it. Is more like a collector piece than anything else xD

Yea, I think it could be something effect related. It does sound like an effect, however it is used in all the songs in an album, not just one.

• Brohoof 1