Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are console exclusives good for the gaming industry?

The Cynical Lone Wolf

Console Exclusives: Yay or Nay?  

17 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Console Exclusives are good thing?

• Yes
    • Yes,but no
    • No
    • No,but yes
    • Other (explain)

Here is a good question: Are console exclusives good for the gaming industry? Beofr I get to my opinion here is the backstory on it

Backstory:

For as long as console existed so did exclsuives,but when Sony and Microsoft mad their consoles, it sort of  mad ethe gaming communitty split and those 2 went to war know to us as the Console, which prompted to ask this question to you guys

My opinion:

I would say no becuase it limts availibity of play by that mean console exculsive are producing fanboyism.That fanboyism what produces thse console wars,which I nor Joe are fan of. Console exculisve puts more fuel in fire know as the console wars and I for believe in this belief as I call it, gaming equality, which is:

Xbox=PS4=PC and that (for ex): Xbox>PS4>PC

On top of that console exculsive are to us, PC players, a bad thing. I, for one, am retired Halo player who has switched to PC and I am sadden by the fact that Microsoft has such a tight grip on Halo  that they wont allow 343 to publish it to Steam and Halo 3 would make Steam game . On top of that, I want to exprinence games like GTA V and Destiny,but I cant play them because they're console exclusive.  It saddens me that some devolpers are being scumbags because they dont belive in gaming equality and wont relase for all gaming paltforms like Bungie, which I at one time trusted, but refuse to release it for PC. I know some devolpers believe in gaming equality like Rocksteady and Bethesad,but they like gems, a rarity.

If anything, I just want gane devolpers to release their game for all platforms and down the number of exclusives they have by 25-40%.

_______________________________________________________________________________-

So what is your opinion? I want to know

Edited by COBLoneWolf

Sure. As the poster above me said, it's competition, and that's good for business.

Take Titanfall,for example.

Alot of people bought a XB1 just for that, while the rest of the world (exc. PC) ate sour grapes.

It did a good boost to their sales.

I don't consider them good. It's just market fragmentation in an effort to get a market majority. The way I go about stopping such practices is not buying them. If it isn't on my platform of choice, then it isn't worth getting.

Not all platforms are equal however as not all platforms have the exact same hardware.

• Brohoof 1

Not only are they good for the industry, I think the lack thereof is slowly killing the market for consoles. When a majority of your games can also be played on your competitors' consoles, and it is your console that's built from comparatively weaker hardware than that of the other guys, guess who's not buying your console? Lots of people.

• Brohoof 4

Absolutely. The problem with every console having the same game is that it gives no reason to have more than one console. Good on the consumer's wallet, I suppose, but it's a waste of time and money to have all these fancy consoles if they are all going to give you the same experience anyway.

Consoles need exclusives, copious amounts of them even, so that the companies have more customers. Friendly competition causes companies to work harder to make better things.

So the way that Microsoft and Sony's big consoles share all the same games is worthless. They either need to make one console together or make a shit ton more exclusives. Doing it the way they are is wasting everyone's time and money. Instead of having to make a choice between this console with 30+ games and that console with 30+ games it's come down to getting one console that has all the other games on the other consoles and maybe 2-4 exclusives.

What's more is console exclusive titles are better made. Being made for a specific console means a game is optimized for that console instead of having to be dumbed down for the sake of "lowest common denomination" hardware issues. So it not only functions better but many of the unique features of the console can be used in the game design properly, such as the Wii-U's gamepad, instead of it going unused or, again in the Wii-U's case, just being used for a map or inventory screen.

Exclusives are important as long as there are multiple consoles, and there will always be multiple consoles because of the whole monopoly business. People want their choices.

Edited by Discordian

Not only are they good for the industry, I think the lack thereof is slowly killing the market for consoles. When a majority of your games can also be played on your competitors' consoles, and it is your console that's built from comparatively weaker hardware than that of the other guys, guess who's not buying your console? Lots of people.

Yeah. I know it sucks that you might not be able to play a game you otherwise would want to play, but it's a smart business move. Look at Titanfall for example. It helped sell a ton of Xbox One's because of the ridiculous hype behind it.

PS and XBOX and PC and Steam have it all figured out, they can all provide lets say the game borderlands easily because they are are all a PC and the game companies only need to tweak the programming so little to get it  work for all the consoles, the reason why nintendos library is so little is because they like to do their own completely different way of games so video game companies would have to do drasticly reprogramming to get to work on nintendo consoles, so they lose money this way... this is where nintendo is fucking up

Edited by RNgineer

In all honesty you shouldn't think of as exclusives as "blocking people from playing these games" so much as them being incentives to look into the libraries of consoles you don't have to judge whether getting the console for that game is worth it.

Yes, drives competition and it gives people an incentive to get each console. Having consoles that have the exact same library, on top of sharing that same library with the PC is absolutely stupid

Edited by Randy Marsh

I'm going with yes. Software drives competition of consoles far more than hardware. Well, at least it does for me. Nintendo has had my business for years purely because I love the exclusive titles they produce and I have an expectation that I will enjoy the games they'll produce. It works in reverse sometimes too of course, there are certain games I'd love to play on my console that are exclusive to someone else, but that's the way the market works. I could always play it with a friend who owns that console too.

True equality would be boring; there needs to be something besides hardware that makes a console unique (and hardware isn't even that big of a deal anyway with the kind of stuff we have today.)

I said yes, but no. Let me explain why! ^^

We have Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) coming out soon, I know this game should be a Nintendo exclusive, but it's just an example for now.

If you're like me, a certain game you've highly anticipated since you've heard the possible rumor of a rumor of that game can literally make you go out and buy a really expensive console just for that game. I feel as if that's apart of Nintendo's plan. It can be good, as selling a lot of their shitty consoles and bringing in some serious profit. But, if you have common sense and only buy a console if it has enough games for you to want it, it can be bad.

Let me start off by saying this, I think the Wii U is a terrible console (rant coming soon!), I've bought one several times just for a couple of games, which is something I or anyone should never do. That's easily being scammed into paying Nintendo some of your precious milk money to play and obliterate a game within probably a week, then have nothing else left to do with the console. Trading it to GameStop, if you're lucky, will maybe give you half of what it's work. Again, another point to Nintendo.

I've always recommended to my friends (although I don't do it) to not get a console until they're sure it has plenty of games for them to play. Reason is like I said, if there's only going to be one or maybe two then it kind of defeats the purpose of buying such an expensive console. Sure, you get the game you want to play, but is it really worth so much bits to just play a single game? Honestly, I think not. But why do I still do it?

I'm an idiot, lol.

Basically what I'm saying is exclusives are okay on a decently priced console that has plenty of potential for its gaming future. Unlike the Wii U, which sales have already been in the pooper for quite some time.

Now exclusives on an expensive console with little to no potential are a big no no and companies who make foolish decisions like this should be slapped on the hand and sent to bed with no dinner. (That's for you, Nintendo)

They're pouring a lot of time and money they can't afford to blow on hopes and dreams that will not come true, because your console blows.

Yes. They're good incentive for consumers to buy what consoles the console makers are pumping out, and some consoles have unique types of gameplay(fe, Nintendo's systems) that you just can't get anywhere else. In the end I believe it encourages both economics and creativity on the first party companies' part, most of the time. :huh:

Edited by Radiance64

Yes, because if consoles didn't have exlusives, it wouldn't have something that would define the console. Uncharted, inFAMOUS, LBP, etc. define PlayStation while Halo, Titanfall, etc. define Xbox.

But I also don't like it because it's one of the main reasons the console war happened

• Brohoof 1

Depends on how it's implemented. Nintendo are a classic example. The success of their company is entirely based around console exclusives. How did Nintendo kill Atari and Sega? Better console exclusives. (...Arguably.) What made the Wii so insanely popular? Insanely fun console exclusives. DS/3DS outselling the PSP/Vita by a landslide margin? Mario. Zelda. POKEMON.

On the other hand, lack of good console exclusives is what is currently killing the Wii U. It's what made the Gamecube the sad little forgotten bundle in the back of my wardrobe. (It had a few good ones, but compared to the PS2 it was just sad.) Neither of these consoles have enough 3rd party games to make up the deficit.

Exclusives can make or break a console. And while it's not healthy for a console to share 90% of it's library with it's competition, that can help float you through the dry spells in between good exclusive games.

You need a bit of both for a safe, well-balanced console, pretty much.

Yes; you know, competition and all that. 

And let me just say, as long as there's more than one viable platform, you're going to get fanboys. Some people just like to brag about how much better their side is. Though, I imagine if you took away all exclusives, there would be much less console fanboys and much more PC fanboys.

Of course, :D.  As stated before..........its all competition.  Especially with Microsoft.

Look back at the Limited Halo 4 Console when it was released in Nov. of 2012.