Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do You Think about these Racist MLP "Fans"

nami438

They're the scum of the earth just like every other racist on the planet, not much else needs to be said. 

Though, it is a little weird that they would have rarity as a black girl since she's the whitest one in the show.

• Brohoof 2

Racism is when someone does something offensive towards some race. I don't see anything as such in the comments you quoted. These are just people's preferences about how they imagine the Mane Six's skin colors as fitting the originals from the show.

Imagine a movie being made about Barrack Obama. You're making a casting for his role. And then some white guy comes in and wants to play Obama. Would you agree on that? I guess not, simply because he doesn't match the original Obama's skin color, and it would be weird for your viewers to see white Obama in your movie. So you say to him: "Sorry, dude, Obama is black, you're white, this doesn't add up to." Would you agree with him if he started yelling at you that this is racist and you're discriminating him by his skin color?

True. Especially since they never actually addressed a race for each pony in the FiM series.. It just showed a certain color. So they're mad because their predictions are wrong so they're taking it out by calling them racist? Also anyways its probably just a bunch of girls playing around dressing like their favorite character! Not like Hasbro went around and hand picked different races for the roles.

• 7 months later...
(edited)

But we still have that instinct that we relate better to people that look like us. For instance: I am white. The important characters in the show are well fleshed out and I can see a little bit of myself in each of them. Since I'm looking at different parts of me, is it wrong to view them all as white like me?

Not really. If anything, I'd be the ironic person here. I'm actually Asian-Indian so I have brown skin color and I'm Muslim but I see every single one of the Mane Six except Applejack to be white.

Not all people really care if the character looks similar to us. I think I'm downright ugly and wouldn't really that much (maybe a little bit) if a character resembled me appearance-wise in a few ways. A lot of people with me included more relate to characters based on personality, hobbies, all of that stuff if you know what I mean. I just view them all white except Applejack since she's bound to be a little-bit tanned from working under the hot sun and being active all day-long on Sweet Apple Arcs. I also see both Rarity and Twilight to be the palest. I know people see Twilight dark-skinned and all, but since Twilight tends to be more indoors in the Golden Oak Library and the Castle she got in Twilight's Kingdom Part 2 and how asocial/anti-social she was indoors studying in "Friendship Is Magic" Parts 1 and 2, she's bound to be pretty pale.

This commercial isn't targeted at a specific race. It's meant for all to enjoy. So why wouldn't they include other races so everyone has someone they can relate to better? I think the bigger issue is that having different races in your commercials is now a selling point for the product. Look at Cheerios, Oreo's, and Coke. Do you think they did those commercials because race and sexual orientation issues don't exist? Or that they know they'll get good press and people will throw money at them? I'm not saying that's what Hasbro did here necessarily, but there is a precedent.

This is what I've been trying to say to other people on other sites about this commercials and you took the words straight out of mouth. After all, it has no impact on the actual show and movie Rainbow Rocks. The mixed race couple Cheerios has like more than thousands or MILLIONS of views on Youtube for featuring a mixed-race couple with a black daughter! It does bring up a lot of attention. Although such stuff tend to get more hate so I can't see how they can be selling points for products. For some commercials I see how, but ones with race and sexual orientation issues get a lot of complaints to be topping off the charts with their products. There was so much hate for the Cheerios commercial, the comments HAD to be disabled. As for the Rainbow Rocks commercial, I think Hasbro wasn't really thinking about the races of the girls and just used the girl who was Rarity without thinking about her skin-tone. They might have just grabbed at random some girls who loved My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic and the Equestira Girls and Rainbow Rocks movies.

I'm not saying they exactly did that or similar, but that's how I feel about it with the Rainbow Rocks commercial.

Edited by GoldenGlintingPurple

This really isn't that racist. Being borderline racist doesn't make you any less of a fan. But, I don't know. Having Rarity be white may have been more consistent, but if they couldn't get anyone there's no need to freak out,

(edited)

The real offense is Hasbro not having a red head Sunset Shimmer girl in the commercial. 

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

I was searching Youtube for promotional stuff for Rainbow Rocks, and came across this video, a commercial for the new movie (the video is safe for work):

Basically a commercial showing real girls dressed up like their favorite characters from the movie, pretending to play in a band. The comment section is filled with people asking why the girls pretending to be Rarity and Rainbow Dash are not white. Lot of comments like "I Am Not Racist but Why is the Rarity girl black when Rarity has a pure white coat" and "Rariti no esta negra" and calling Rarity a n*gger. There are a couple about Rainbow Dash too but I can't find them right now. The girl pretending to be Rarity looks to be half-white half-black, and the girl playing Rainbow Dash may be a quarter Asian (I can't see her face well).

So What do You think? Should Rarity only be played by a white person because she is white? Is inserting a mixed race girl into a pastime only for white people just inserting them into everything even where they don't belong?

You don't speak a lick of spanish, do you?

Negro is black in SPANISH. The a is at the end because he or she was using it in the feminine form.

Just because people are pointing this out doesn't make them racist, and it doesn't make them racist because you don't speak a second language and misinterpreted a comment. Plus these commercials are inconsistent, I've seen ones with white rainbow and (asian?) rarity.

I still believe that Twilight Sparkle and Rarity are black. Of course since race isn't designated to them, nor they're coded according to the creator of the show, then simply they're not black, nor are they white.. Still, it's a nice headcannon! I love black girl headcannons, let alone the actual canon characters! But that's me personally, if you feel as if, if the ponies were to have race in the first place, they're all white-- go ahead. I personally disagree, I believe all of the ponies are diverse in race if they were to be human, but uh yeah!

It really depends how you feel about the character as well, and some rad ideas you'd think would fit the character nicely. Like I still like to think that Rainbow Dash is a bisexual latina. c: I also love LGBTQ+ PoC headcannons. Sorry-- getting ahead of myself..

Point is: however you view the characters is how you view them-- 'nuff said.

• Brohoof 1

Well that makes sense they are youtube comments XD which is why I hate youtube comments there is always someone being ignorant about something. This is why the creator of the show didn't give them real skin colors because trolls were going to complain about. Also the mane six doesn't have a  certain race so anyone can dress up as them.

The real offense is Hasbro not having a red head Sunset Shimmer girl in the commercial. 

YES!  You win this thread.  Lmao  :lol: 

---

I still believe that Twilight Sparkle and Rarity are black. Of course since race isn't designated to them, nor they're coded according to the creator of the show, then simply they're not black, nor are they white.. Still, it's a nice headcannon! I love black girl headcannons, let alone the actual canon characters! But that's me personally, if you feel as if, if the ponies were to have race in the first place, they're all white-- go ahead. I personally disagree, I believe all of the ponies are diverse in race if they were to be human, but uh yeah!

It really depends how you feel about the character as well, and some rad ideas you'd think would fit the character nicely. Like I still like to think that Rainbow Dash is a bisexual latina. c: I also love LGBTQ+ PoC headcannons. Sorry-- getting ahead of myself..

Point is: however you view the characters is how you view them-- 'nuff said.

You rock.  *tips hat*  :smug: 

It's all about being able to have your own personal headcanons whilst respecting the fact that everyone else may have their own.  

My own personal headcanon: As ponies, they are what they are - pastel ponies.  As humans, I see Applejack as a white American country girl, Rarity as a white European (British basically, though not the posh kind), Twilight as an Asian-American (biracial Caucasian/Asian), Rainbow Dash as a Hispanic-American (biracial Caucasion/Hispanic [yes, from Spain]), Fluttershy as a white Canadian, and Pinkie as a Latino-American (biracial Caucasian/Mexican).  :comeatus: 

Whatcha gonna do, eh?  Haha.

---

As for those YouTube comments...

Personally I find it hilarious.  ^_^ 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at what they're saying...  I'm laughing because they're idiots!   :umad: 

~ Miles

• Brohoof 4

There are no pony races based on skin tone. What about those blind boxes where the ponies are made of black vinyl. Do they have a problem with that, too? Those people are really silly. Isn't there a rule about reading the comments? And why would it be ok for a guy to dress as rarity but not a black girl? Don't tell people who they can't be.

Please don't read it as a rant, but people who would make such comments are silly.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I was searching Youtube for promotional stuff for Rainbow Rocks, and came across this video, a commercial for the new movie (the video is safe for work):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF5iA3Ai5NU

Basically a commercial showing real girls dressed up like their favorite characters from the movie, pretending to play in a band. The comment section is filled with people asking why the girls pretending to be Rarity and Rainbow Dash are not white. Lot of comments like "I Am Not Racist but Why is the Rarity girl black when Rarity has a pure white coat" and "Rariti no esta negra" and calling Rarity a n*gger. There are a couple about Rainbow Dash too but I can't find them right now. The girl pretending to be Rarity looks to be half-white half-black, and the girl playing Rainbow Dash may be a quarter Asian (I can't see her face well).

So What do You think? Should Rarity only be played by a white person because she is white? Is inserting a mixed race girl into a pastime only for white people just inserting them into everything even where they don't belong?

Those saying it appears strange for a none-European descent cosplaying as the Mane6 doesn't appear as racist to me because Equestria is in fact of European/American culture and there exist other cultures represented by other species (horses -> Middle Easterners, zebras -> African, buffalo -> Native Americans); such comment is reasonable to me. If an arbitrary European cosplayed as an African character, it would also appear odd to me. Though those who claim inferiority of other races are racist.

A racist can be a Brony though.

These kind of things make me glad they gave the characters the color of the ponies. Race, for some reason, is always a huge deal among humanized pony discussion

As people probably have mentioned by now, Equestrian society is of European/American culture; identifying whether one is specifically German, Swiss, etc. is ambiguous but saying that they're generally European or American is safe to say.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

(edited)

You don't speak a lick of spanish, do you?

Negro is black in SPANISH. The a is at the end because he or she was using it in the feminine form.

Just because people are pointing this out doesn't make them racist, and it doesn't make them racist because you don't speak a second language and misinterpreted a comment. Plus these commercials are inconsistent, I've seen ones with white rainbow and (asian?) rarity.

I knew that "negro/a" is not a racist word in Spanish. Did you get the idea that I didn't because I put it next to the n-word?

My point was not that pointing out that the girl is black is racist, it's obviously not. My point was that claiming that Rarity cannot be played by someone of a particular race is racist. What do you interpret "Rariti no esta negra" to mean?

Those saying it appears strange for a none-European descent cosplaying as the Mane6 doesn't appear as racist to me because Equestria is in fact of European/American culture and there exist other cultures represented by other species (horses -> Middle Easterners, zebras -> African, buffalo -> Native Americans); such comment is reasonable to me. If an arbitrary European cosplayed as an African character, it would also appear odd to me. Though those who claim inferiority of other races are racist.

A racist can be a Brony though.

As people probably have mentioned by now, Equestrian society is of European/American culture; identifying whether one is specifically German, Swiss, etc. is ambiguous but saying that they're generally European or American is safe to say.

I understand where you're coming from. I agree about the cultures thing, the Mane 6 do all seem American and a little Western European. But do United States and European cultures only belong to people of European descent? In-universe, debatable. But in real life, I see nothing wrong with American (any nationality really) children playing as American ponies. Americans, like any nationality, can be of any race, and unlike many nationalities, it's not hard to find an American of any of the major races.

I'm a little confused by what you wrote about Europeans cosplaying Africans. Would an Afrikaner (European African from South Africa) seem odd to you?

Edited by nami438
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I understand where you're coming from. I agree about the cultures thing, the Mane 6 do all seem American and a little Western European. But do United States and European cultures only belong to people of European descent? In-universe, debatable. But in real life, I see nothing wrong with American (any nationality really) children playing as American ponies. Americans, like any nationality, can be of any race, and unlike many nationalities, it's not hard to find an American of any of the major races.

I'm a little confused by what you wrote about Europeans cosplaying Africans. Would an Afrikaner (European African) seem odd to you?

In general, I think it's reasonable to think it looks odd for people to cosplay as characters that are not of their ethnicity. Looking odd but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do what they want to do and there's nothing actually wrong with doing it.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

In general, I think it's reasonable to think it looks odd for people to cosplay as characters that are no of their ethnicity. Looking odd but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do what they want to do and there's nothing actually wrong with doing it.

Okay, I see what you mean. I must admit to it looking a little odd at first to me too, but I get over it quickly. Only with human characters, though.

My thing is that Rarity does not have a human race, she's a pony, not a person. I find it strange to assign her a human race, then say that it looks weird when people not of that race cosplay her. Unlike with a human character, Rarity has no clearly defined human race, so it's technically incorrect to say that she is not Black/Native/Asian/White in a way directly implying that she is a human race, just not the human race the speaker personally wants her to be. It's saying "I'm right, you're wrong" about a subject that has no basis in fact.

They aren't saying "Rarity is not black" to follow up with "because she's not human at all!"

My point was, it should not matter what race she is in a commercial that has no bearing on the canon (in which she is white in human form, but I strangely don't see anyone complaining that "Rainbow is not White, she's supposed to be blue!", Twilight should be purple, etc.).

• Brohoof 1

First of all, I almost think humanizing the ponies in these various movies should be a capital offense. It just is so repelling to me. So, I automatically hate these movies.

As for the actual issue raised... Anyone who would go around disparaging people in such a manner is a brony in name only. Where in the series does the Mane Six or the royal family discriminate against or insult another race or species?

Not really. If anything, I'd be the ironic person here. I'm actually Asian-Indian so I have brown skin color and I'm Muslim but I see every single one of the Mane Six except Applejack to be white.

You see every single one of the Mane Six except the country bumpkin who runs a farm to be white?

Okay, I see what you mean. I must admit to it looking a little odd at first to me too, but I get over it quickly. Only with human characters, though.

My thing is that Rarity does not have a human race, she's a pony, not a person. I find it strange to assign her a human race, then say that it looks weird when people not of that race cosplay her. Unlike with a human character, Rarity has no clearly defined human race, so it's technically incorrect to say that she is not Black/Native/Asian/White in a way directly implying that she is a human race, just not the human race the speaker personally wants her to be. It's saying "I'm right, you're wrong" about a subject that has no basis in fact.

They aren't saying "Rarity is not black" to follow up with "because she's not human at all!"

My point was, it should not matter what race she is in a commercial that has no bearing on the canon (in which she is white in human form, but I strangely don't see anyone complaining that "Rainbow is not White, she's supposed to be blue!", Twilight should be purple, etc.).

I suppose the concept of race in Equestria is ultimately dependent on one's view on how races in MLP:FIM would translate to reality. Though, again, I think it's quite obvious that ponies in general are of North American/European ethnicity, Zebras are of Africans ethnicity, etc.; colour of character irrelevant. Being part of culture is one thing but being given ethnicity is another.

But anyway, we may disagree on the concept of race in MLP:FIM universe. But whatever the case may be, it's ultimately just people having fun cosplaying so I don't think it's worth really being upset about. But the internet is the internet so anything can be hated; some people will be more stubborn about their views on the show than others.

>ITT people shocked that youtube comments are generally pretty bad. 
Honestly these are borderline intelligent for youtube comments. 

Also eh. I think of all the main characters as white. Just seem that way >.<

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I suppose the concept of race in Equestria is ultimately dependent on one's view on how races in MLP:FIM would translate to reality. Though, again, I think it's quite obvious that ponies in general are of North American/European ethnicity, Zebras are of Africans ethnicity, etc.; colour of character irrelevant. Being part of culture is one thing but being given ethnicity is another.

But anyway, we may disagree on the concept of race in MLP:FIM universe. But whatever the case may be, it's ultimately just people having fun cosplaying so I don't think it's worth really being upset about. But the internet is the internet so anything can be hated; some people will be more stubborn about their views on the show than others.

I fully support you, and everyone else, having the right to see the Mane 6 as whatever race they want to. Headcanons are fun!

It's being nasty about someone else's ideas, when your own have no more basis in fact than theirs, that bugs me. I'm sure you don't do this. :lol:

If we disagree on anything, it's the idea that "North American" must mean "of European racial descent". You do know that the only true "North American ethnicity" is Native American, right? Do you think that Europeans are any less foreign to North America than other non-Native Americans?

>ITT people shocked that youtube comments are generally pretty bad. 

Honestly these are borderline intelligent for youtube comments. 

Also eh. I think of all the main characters as white. Just seem that way >.<

The comments on children's videos are usually nicer than the Youtube norm. I was surprised that so many of the nasty bronies even cared about the video, since it's about a part of the canon many bronies don't care about.

Edited by nami438

(edited)

I fully support you, and everyone else, having the right to see the Mane 6 as whatever race they want to. Headcanons are fun!

It's being nasty about someone else's ideas, when your own have no more basis in fact than theirs, that bugs me. I'm sure you don't do this. :lol:

If we disagree on anything, it's the idea that "North American" must mean "of European racial descent". You do know that the only true "North American ethnicity" is Native American, right? Do you think that Europeans are any less foreign to North America than other non-Native Americans?

I refer to Native Americans as Native Americans because those of European descent have dominated North America. If we're talking about original North Americans, it would be Native Americans. But translation of Native Americans in MLP:FIM universe would be buffaloes.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

I refer to Native Americans as Native Americans because those of European descent have dominated North America. If we're talking about original North Americans, it would be Native Americans. But translation of Native Americans in MLP:FIM universe would be buffaloes.

I understand, but it is still not right to say that there is only one "North American ethnicity," and that it is European. North America has many ethnicities. 

But maybe that is not what you're saying. Maybe you're saying that most ponies act in a way that North Americans of European descent do, though I hope not since that implies that only people of European descent act like the Mane 6.

I'm curious, do you call White North Americans "North American," but natives "Native American" and Asian Americans "Asian American"?

I understand, but it is still not right to say that there is only one "North American ethnicity," and that it is European. North America has many ethnicities. 

But maybe that is not what you're saying. Maybe you're saying that most ponies act in a way that North Americans of European descent do, though I hope not since that implies that only people of European descent act like the Mane 6.

I'm curious, do you call White North Americans "North American," but natives "Native American" and Asian Americans "Asian American"?

Okay. This is my understanding of how ethnicities generally work in the MLP:FIM universe.

Ponies = European or North American ethnicity (generally European descent).

Horses = Middle Eastern ethnicity.

Bufaloes = North Native American ethnicity.

Zebras = Sub-Saharan African ethnicity.

That's their general ethnicity, but it doesn't mean that there is one comprehensible European or Middle Eastern equivalent ethnicity or culture in MLP:FIM universe (for instance Photo Finish being German and Gustave being French). And it's possible for, for example, a zebra to have become assimilated into Equestrian (European/North American) culture. Ethnicity doesn't necessarily determine the culture or nationality.

As for the last point, in the case where you say Asian American, Turkish German, etc. one term refers to the ethnicity and the other term refers to the nationality. If the ethnicity and nationality are aligned or if I refer to generally anyone living in said country, I usually say just Germans, Swedes, Arabs, etc. In the case of Native Americans, yes they are, of course, the original North Americans. But because history, those of European descent have vastly dominated North American.

I never made the claim that North America consists of simply one ethnicity (or at least that's not what I meant), but it's more the question of what you tend to think of when you think of the most common type or dominant group of people from given area. And I do think that most Equestrians follow European/North American culture, but that doesn't mean someone from Sri Lanka can't relate to them; there's the aspect of nationality, ethnicity, and culture, but also one's individual personality that may be influenced by the previous three factors but is more universal.

Hope that clarifies things?

I believe its impossible to translate pony fur colours into human ethnicities, so its up to the fan to interpret it however they want. I can see why Hasbro didn't want to touch that subject with Equestria Girls.