Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The BronyCAN Writing Contest: Taking Sides

FirestormCAN

(edited)

The MLP community is well known for its abundance of astounding fan-written stories based on the series. From ongoing adventures like Fallout: Equestria to short silliness such as Bureaucracy is Magic to timeless epics as It’s a Dangerous Business, Going out your Door. Hundreds of stories go through Equestria Daily’s pre-readers every week, but only a select few get chosen to be in the spotlight. Whether or not they read, people can’t help but wonder what these creative storytellers are sharing with the world.

BronyCAN is giving you a chance to put your writing skills to the test: Canada is known as a country of acceptance, regardless of who they are or where they come from. Ponies, gryphons, moose, mules, and yes, even changelings, just to name a few. Many have voiced their opinion on the invasion in BC, but what side do they truly take? Do they fight for Queen Volucris and her brood of Arctic Changelings? Will they seek to end her reign of terror by siding with Princess Apricity and the Provincial Ponies? Or would they rather stay out of it and try to live their life as best as possible. Whatever the decision, it’s your task to lead them to it.

In this contest, share a 5000-word short story of a Canadian resident and what part they play (or not) in the invasion.

Here are the rules you’ll need to follow:

• Keep it PG. No excessive violence, foul language, references to sex, alcohol or drugs.

• You can include a small 600x600 pixel drawing to go with it. Again, keep it PG please.

• References to Queen Volucris’ brood are allowed, but keep them minimal. The focus should be on the resident(s) decision making.

• One entry per person please. It must be written by you alone.

The winning writer will have their story printed in our con book, and will also receive an exclusive t-shirt!

To enter, attach a Word or OpenOffice document containing your story to an email directed to Publishing@BronyCAN.ca. It’s recommended that you write the subject line as “BronyCAN Writing Contest Entry”. Please note that files will only be accepted in .doc, .docx, .odt or .rtf formats.

Submissions will close Monday, July 7, 2014, July 14, 2014

Best of luck to all entrants!

Edited by FirestormCAN
Deadline has been extended a week! Submit your stories soon!
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strongly tempted to write up the idea this story line has been inspiring for me... Probably won't fit for this contest, but worth writing.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know more about these characters and where they come from and why they are invading Canada. I don't think anyone would tolerate an invasion though. That's my opinion. I don't know anything about the average Canadian citizen and I probably don't have to in order to make the prior statement.

I would like to know more about these characters and where they come from and why they are invading Canada. I don't think anyone would tolerate an invasion though. That's my opinion. I don't know anything about the average Canadian citizen and I probably don't have to in order to make the prior statement.

The invasion is being covered by our comic from our Tumblr. You can catch up on the story here on the BronyCAN website.

• Brohoof 1

Ponies of Canada.

The invasion is being covered by our comic from our Tumblr. You can catch up on the story here on the BronyCAN website.

That's what i wanted to see... Well i got an interesting idea inspiration from Ancient Greek myths... i'll see what i can do.

@@FirestormCAN,One last thing... we are considering every possible outcome of this conflict are we not? 

(edited)

Are Queen Vulocris and Princess Apricity just names, or this there some previous literature or background knowledge I need before I write this?

Yes, that's what I'm wondering.

I'm a bit confused here on what we need to write about; from what I can see, we need to write a Canadian (pony)'s point of view during the invasion of Queen Vulocris.

However, I'm not sure who Queen Vulocris is, nor Princess Apricity; are they part of a fan-fiction? 

Is there a background story we need to know? Is there a link to the fan-fictions (and/or videos) before the invasion?

I would imagine that there's other pieces of literature before this; do you happen to have a link?

So far, I'm not even sure who Vulocris' brood is; letalone to make references to them.

Also, the Canadian residents are supposed to be ponies in the story, correct?

I'm sorry, I'm just completely clueless on the background story of this.

[EDIT] I tried searching the characters up on the web, but I got absolutely no results no matter how much I tried.

-- I finally got some results on Princess Apricity and Queen Vulocris. I'm guessing that the invasion is like Queen Chrysalis' invasion, correct? (Just with different characters?)

If not, please let me know.

(Also, I still haven't found any notable information about either of them; just the characters' images.)

Sorry if I seem a bit confused here.

Queen Vulocris:

Princess Apricity:

Edited by RailOfFire

Are Queen Vulocris and Princess Apricity just names, or this there some previous literature or background knowledge I need before I write this?

Yes, that's what I'm wondering.

I'm a bit confused here on what we need to write about; from what I can see, we need to write a Canadian (pony)'s point of view during the invasion of Queen Vulocris.

However, I'm not sure who Queen Vulocris is, nor Princess Apricity; are they part of a fan-fiction? 

Is there a background story we need to know? Is there a link to the fan-fictions (and/or videos) before the invasion?

I would imagine that there's other pieces of literature before this; do you happen to have a link?

So far, I'm not even sure who Vulocris' brood is; letalone to make references to them.

Also, the Canadian residents are supposed to be ponies in the story, correct?

I'm sorry, I'm just completely clueless on the background story of this.

[EDIT] I tried searching the characters up on the web, but I got absolutely no results no matter how much I tried.

-- I finally got some results on Princess Apricity and Queen Vulocris. I'm guessing that the invasion is like Queen Chrysalis' invasion, correct? (Just with different characters?)

If not, please let me know.

(Also, I still haven't found any notable information about either of them; just the characters' images.)

Sorry if I seem a bit confused here.

Queen Vulocris:

Princess Apricity:

Like I said before, the invasion is being covered by our comic from our Tumblr. You can catch up on the story here on the BronyCAN website. For more on Apricity, view the blog from the beginning.

As for characters, they don't necessarily have to be ponies. Like I said in the original post:

Canada is known as a country of acceptance, regardless of who they are or where they come from. Ponies, gryphons, moose, mules, and yes, even changelings, just to name a few.

So you can choose whichever species you prefer to use.

I might try at this.

I want to write.I liked wanting to write since as a child but I had writers block and could not finish a story to put in my school library in the past.

But if a winning writer gets a con book and a elcusive t-shirt does that mean they have to be at the con? if so that means I should not write for that contest since my dad can't afford to get me to go to the con.

I might try at this.

I want to write.I liked wanting to write since as a child but I had writers block and could not finish a story to put in my school library in the past.

But if a winning writer gets a con book and a elcusive t-shirt does that mean they have to be at the con? if so that means I should not write for that contest since my dad can't afford to get me to go to the con.

No, anyone entering this contest does not have to attend. If we wanted that to happen, we would've offered a pass as the big prize! ^^;