Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does humanity not have hunger for adventure anymore?

BronyPony

Apparently we're scared of change... according to every "professional" on human psychology on the internet. So that may contribute to the loss of adventurous feelings.

Well, we've pretty much settled down. Back then it was ALL FRONTIER. When we got familiar with our territories, europe for example, we eventually found america and decided to also delve into africa, which lead to more adventure and opportunity. But now, we've been everywhere we CAN go. We've mapped out everything, satellites miss nothing. There's not much to explore and not much new opportunity to jump in on. I mean are you going to travel to california and try to find some gold? No, because you're a couple hundred years late and people have already done it. Same with a lot of other things. 

Until we have the technology to transfer more resources from Mars to Earth than it takes to go back and forth, chances are we ain't leaving. There's just no point, since there's only prospective economic benefits at this time (we are far away from having the technological power for a galactic empire to be likely...). However, there isn't any economic benefits if the colony and the home planet cannot trade resources without consuming more money than either side is getting. And it's in practicality impossible to somehow turn Mars into a fully habitable planet, and to just create a habitable region (Total Recall-style) it would take billions.

We are likely to see this happen within the next 100 years however, as certain resources run out on Earth.

Edited by Inactive User

Brace yourselves... long rant is incoming... 

I feel it is lost. Everyone is obsessed with keeping with the system, or mistaken adventure with messing around. Barely anybody has the urge to colonize other planets, and those who attempt to are looked upon as fools. It sickens me how society has fallen so far and lacks the need for adventure. Now everyone just wants to "live their lives" the "normal" way. 

Does anyone feel the same about society? Have we lost our way?

I disagree with you. The human race is still adventurous. Just not in the same way. You see, there really isn't anyplace on Earth that is unknown to humans. Which makes adventuring sort of pointless. However, we've now switched our adventurous nature towards scientific research. I mean, look at how fast we're pumping out new tech, making new discoveries, or doing something astronomical in discovering the history of the universe.

Not to long ago a unmanned drone landed on an asteroid that is 4 BILLION miles away from Earth. And that drone was launched about a decade ago. (Source: http://rosetta.jpl.nasa.gov

And about your thing about "colonizing new worlds". That is WAY off into the future. The closest thing to an inhabitable world other than Earth is, according to Cambridge University, 13 Light Years away. (One light year = 5,878,000,000,000 Miles). Colonizing other worlds right now is, yes, foolish. Not because of stupidity, but because we don't know how we'd even do it. The tech isn't up there yet. However, there are a lot of scientists working on things such as colonizing the moon. 

In fact, according to multiple news sites Russia is planning to colonize the moon in as soon as 2030. (Source: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/499806.html). If this is the case then, well, colonizing other worlds will be a cinch once we've mastered intergalactic space travel.

So, all-in-all. Humans do have desire for adventure. Perhaps not as geographic as it is technological. There will always be people who are against this kind of progress because it's just so unthinkable to them. But that's the minority of people. I can guarantee that most people would say that the thought of being able to live on a world 13 light years away would be unfathomable, but not foolish. It's the future, it's a mystery. Whether someone wants to live in ignorance is there choice, but me personally, I can't wait to see what kind of things science does next...

AAAAAAAAAAND now on to my OTHER counter argument... Enjoy another few paragraphs of rant...

Video Games, Books, Movies, they're all there for people to escape into adventure. It is, after all, why we watch movies, read books, or play video games. Each of those takes you on a different adventure where you meet different people and experience a world different from our own. 

The Elder Scrolls for example. It's a popular RPG series by Bethesda and my god is it adventurous. There is so many things to discovery, to explore. So many people to meet, enemies to slay, and kingdoms to take. Always looming over the distant horizon is a new adventure just waiting for you to take part on.

The Lord of the Rings movies. These are classic adventure movies in every sense of the word. The Fellowship travels across the entirety of Middle Earth to save the world from the evil of Sauron. I don't really need to say much more, do I? I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with The Lord of the Rings, right? ^_^

But for anyone with an imagination at all, these forms of media allow them to go out and explore the unknowns. For our planet no longer has any unknowns, we've taken to making our own unknowns for other people to discover. It's just another way us curious humans have gone about quenching our curiosity,   

• Brohoof 1

Maybe the problem is that there's just nowhere to go right now. Anyplace you go on earth, even if it's kind of a dangerous place is just a vacation. You eventually have to go home and go back to work.

Going to mars to try your luck isn't as easy as getting a wagon and a few horses and heading west. If it was I'm sure people would be trying.

What do you think astronauts are doing all the time?

The reason why it's not a spectacular super-forray like it was in the colonial age is because waitasecond:

We compress hundreds of years of exploration into a couple of paragraphs and forget that in the age of sail, big expeditions were expensive and took time to set up. Sort of like how space missions are kind of far apart. Huh.

Elon Musk of SpaceX says he wants to have thousands of rocket launches per year by 2020 (that would be in the order of three flights every day, or so) which is a really fast spur of spaceflight delivery.

It isn't the PEOPLE who have lost the hunger for adventure, it is the GOVERNMENTS. 

This is why it is companies like Space X that will forge our route to the stars, not any political entity.  They will just sit back and tax it.

We haven't lost our way. Admittingly I do feel the same way from time to time but we have a lot going for the human race!  We will be colonizing Mars in the 20's, visiting Europa soon to check out its subterranean ocean and there are many programs launching in efforts to explore new worlds and get more people into space. I subscribe to Discover magazine, it is the only magazine I am subscribed to. It is packed with a lot of up to date articles about future plans of the like, science and the lot.

Being well read helps when you hear a doomsayer screaming their head off about negative nonsense because you are always able to remind yourself about the reality of our world and why it is not as bad as people like to think it is; compared to years past in our brief history here under the Sun. 

I myself love to explore new places and ideas. I am planning on traveling to the Himalayan mountains next year for an expedition; simply because I love adventuring. 

I've never been down with the idea of conforming to the molds of society. Be unique, live your own life and have fun! 

• Brohoof 1

I feel it is lost. Everyone is obsessed with keeping with the system, or mistaken adventure with messing around. Barely anybody has the urge to colonize other planets, and those who attempt to are looked upon as fools. It sickens me how society has fallen so far and lacks the need for adventure. Now everyone just wants to "live their lives" the "normal" way. 

Does anyone feel the same about society? Have we lost our way?

Now ... colonisation... we are doing it ... Mars One is a Dutch space expedition with the aim of creating a permanent human settlement on the moon --> link

http://www.mars-one.com/

And advenure... have you ever heard about North Sentinel island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

They are agressively rejecting modern contact and all expedition/ contact tries with them have resulted in arrows

Other than that theres not much left to do on earth. Our techonolgy is evolving and at a certain point in time IT will open new possibilities for us. But why leave when we know so little about earth. Even now, new species of animals are being discovered and we are unlocking the secrets of our planets past. Don't you think it is a bit early to gaze to the stars if we can't even understand the puny little rock we're living on?

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Not entirely, but I think it has recently become diminished due to modern-day technology. With more and more things becoming automated, the need to get out of the house more is being lessened. And then there are virtual reality video games and video games becoming more realistic, why would you want to go on an adventure in the real world when you can do it all the time safely and easily in your very own room on the virtual world? So, I think there are still many people who still hunger for adventure, but with the advances in technology, that more and more people are having a diminished desire for adventure.

• Brohoof 1

When was the last time we did something like visited the moon?

I know that was expensive, but was a showcase for war.

The future is here, and we should have flying automobiles, but instead we have mp4 videos. I guess that's better? 3D movies and entertainment to show how far humans could have gotten if they weren't so lazy and just watched movies all the time.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

When was the last time we did something like visited the moon?

I know that was expensive, but was a showcase for war.

The future is here, and we should have flying automobiles, but instead we have mp4 videos. I guess that's better? 3D movies and entertainment to show how far humans could have gotten if they weren't so lazy and just watched movies all the time.

And you can "kill a man* with your fingers or thumbs! Also knows as Vidya games!

• Brohoof 1

Well it’s not like a random wizard will be coming knocking at my front door..( although I wish..

In all seriousness, I’m mostly homestuck, got some other boring adult things to do, so...sometime most people just don’t have the time or the luxury to go adventure out.

If you mean adventuring in terms of discovery, that hasn't slowed a single bit. Just that the discoveries are not geographic any longer. Those are all fairly well set in stone, but discoveries in things like physics (theoretical and experimental), medicine, computer science or astronomy are still very common. Humanity is learning more every day so even if colonizing new lands is gone, discovery has not.

If you mean "adventure" as in traveling the world and all that, well most people don't have that luxury, due to not having enough time or money, or both, such as myself. That doesn't mean we don't "adventure" in other ways though. Heck, an adventure to me could be perhaps trying a new food I've never tried before, or driving down an old back road I've never discovered before. Adventures can come in all sizes and forms, and people still have a spirit for adventure.