Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cursive Useless Skill or Not?

Firehearted

In that sense, art is "useless", too. 

Shall we only pay attention to "useful things" ? If then, this world would be boring as heck.

Maybe cursive is useless, still, it doesn't change the fact that it's beautiful.

Edited by Mademoiselle Noel

I'd also like to say that it's use as a signature is more of a traditional use anyway. Nothing important ever uses a hand written signature as it's only defense or any of it's defense at all. It's easy enough to forge just like your standard print. There's much better ways of making someone is who they say they are. You can pretty much sign anything you want on to those receipts at the store and such; how many cashiers have you seen check the back of your card for a signature?

In that sense, art is "useless", too. 

Shall we only pay attention to "useful things" ? If then, this world would be boring as heck.

Maybe cursive is useless, still, it doesn't change the fact that it's beautiful.

True enough, but your average day graffiti is way more interesting to look at/read. Just saying  :P

Edited by Mutemutt
  • Brohoof 1

Cursive is a writing style that is slowly dying off. At some point they will probably cease to require it for education unless you take a writing class of some sort in high school. Hardly anyone ever uses it for anything important, or at all for that matter.

I think cursive is still a good skill to have.  I went to Catholic school as a kid and they stressed handwriting there.  I have some artistic skill and being able to do cursive well has added to that.  Some of the pics I uploaded on Deviantart include cursive if anybody is interested.  :comeatus: 

Maybe here in the west, but in the east, their handwriting is exclusively cursive, such as Hebrew, Greek and Cyrillic, although signs and posters are in block letters, each language in written form can only be wrote in cursive. As for myself, I will always write in cursive, because it shows off my knowledge, like typing, anything worth doing is worth doing better, I care about my writing, and if someone does not wish to learn cursive, don't make difficult for those who want to learn it, like typing it requires patience and discipline, to do then master.

Edited by Emperor Peter

Oh boy, cursive...

I remember my 2nd grade teacher FORCING us to write in that style. That's right, forcing us. Either you did it or you failed. And you know, I did it when I was in that class long, long ago. And I remember all the dumb things she would say about it. She'd say how cursive is BETTER, how it's FASTER, and how it's NECESSARY. Well, here's the thing...

I HATE CURSIVE!
I'M NO GOOD AT IT. I OFTEN HAVE TROUBLE READING IT. MY PRINT HAND WRITING IS FASTER THAN MY CURSIVE. IT JUST DIDN'T CLICK WITH ME.

And here's the thing about cursive as far as where I've lived and where I've been...

I've hardly ever been asked to actually write in cursive when a signature was needed. I've gone so long without it by now, I often forget how to write it.

Secondly, your hand writing ALL READY HAS a unique style to it. That's why forensic investigators can link your handwriting back to you, regardless of whether you write in cursive or print.

Lastly, if you REALLY want to have a unique writing style, cursive is not your only choice. There are many ways to write stuff. Look at how other people write stuff. Look at various free font styles. Just writing stuff fast can create a unique style without having to do cursive.

If you ask me, cursive is about as unnecessarily excessive as asking Japanese people to only write their kanji/kana on a scroll with a large paint bush...

Edited by Samurai Equine

I can read that! *puffs chest out proudly* 

But let's pretend that it didn't take me a minute to do so...  :adorkable:

I remember learning cursive when I was really little... and then after that, I never used it. Ever. So I forgot how to use it. 

Then came the time when I had to start using signatures. I told my mom that I had no idea how to do it, and she was like, "oh, that's okay. Just make it up. Most people's signatures look like nothing but illegible scribbles anyway." 

Then she showed me hers, and.. yeah. It was basically the first letter of her name and a squiggly line, and that was it. So I learned the art of writing the letter B and then scribbling convincingly after it.  :please:

Forensic analysis of signatures is much easier than of print, as I was told.

Does forensic analysis even apply to print? It seems too easy to even use it on print, in my opinion... :huh:

Cuz if not, what you were told was true, just not the way you were expected to understand.

I never learned cursive. I have a wrist disability that makes writing physically painful so the teacher just kicked me out of the classroom when they learned cursive. I actually first started to learn cursive at 23 when I was assistant teaching English in Japan.

I still don't know how to read cursive. Every time I get a request or commission for a graphic with cursive font, I have to type it in print then switch.

• 8 years later...

I stopped using it the moment the teachers no longer forced us to use it. I never found it useful – it might be faster to write, but most of the time, it's awful to read. Even my signature isn't fully in cursive. :P

• Brohoof 1

The only cursive I do is my signature, and I can only do that because I’ve practiced it and have it burnt into muscle memory lol. I personally think it doesn’t really have much real life application at this point since almost all our communication is done via electronics. Even the most archaic companies are doing electronic logs or what have you now.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I mean, I can see the debate why it could be useless. I used to mess with an old coworker by writing in cursive instructions. In honesty my handwriting is way better in cursive then in print.