Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2014 FIFA World Cup (the Teams and the Groups (of Death))

Jon the VGNerd

With the opening game between Brazil and Croatia nearing in next Thursday, we can only imagine that this'll be one heck of a tournament since 2010 FIFA World Cup. I won't list out the groups and teams much (too much hassle), but here are the prime examples for the groups of death:

You have Group B, with Spain, the Netherlands, Chile and Australia. Australia, in my opinion, are the underdogs of the group, whereas current champions Spain, runners-up Netherlands and Round of 16 qualifiers Chile, are the powerhouses of the group. It'll be a dice roll between Spain and the Netherlands when they face off against each other on June 13, a day after the opening game between Brazil and Croatia.

Group D is more or less the same as Group B, with Costa Rica being the underdogs of FIFA, of course, as they don't offer much of a challenge. But, I digress. Costa Rica may have some luck in them, but as they are to face off against Italy, England, and Uruguay, it'll be anything but a walk in the park.

Group F isn't exactly the group of death, but you have newcomers Bosnia and Herzegovina, after their dreams of making their debut since the 90's were all but lost. The last time we saw two newcomers four years ago int he 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa were Serbia and Slovakia. They're up against powerhouse Argentina first for Bosnia and Herzegovina's first impressions. Who knows if they'll pull an ace up their sleeves for their debut match-up.

Now, the truest group of death in my honest opinion, is Group G, consisting Germany, Portugal, Ghana, and the USA. The US is good at association football (or in their case, soccer), yes, but sadly, when it comes to facing off against these types of teams, they're clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially having recently lost to Africa's Ghana in Round of 16 from 2010 FIFA World Cup, and now, they're facing off against Ghana once again. And adding insult to injury, they're taking on against two, formidable European teams Germany and Portugal. Unless the US team can pull off a trump card and advance to the next round, chances are they would most likely not make it to the next round. Not because I want the US team to lose, but they're facing a seemingly impossible challenge, even with rigorous training, especially when it comes to Germany, Portugal and Ghana, respectively.

So, all that aside, with Brazil and Croatia competing against each other next Thursday, what are your opinions be, for both  the groups, the teams, and the opening game? And yes, we all know that it'll be one fun, yet fierce, competition. :P

• Brohoof 1

I agree with you that Group G may be a group of Death, but I see Group B as being that. Other than Australia, the other three countries are amazingly talented. We must also note that South Americans have an extra level of ability when they play in their home continent. So technically, you have the World Cup winner and finalist, along with a strong South American side.

• Brohoof 1

1. Germany - Essentially one of the favorites along with Spain, Brazil, and Argentina. What hurts is that I really like this German side: Gotze, Reus, Draxler, Kroos, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Klose, Neuer, etc. To see them versus the US... :(

2. Portugal - Not exactly a favorite, but considering they have one of, if not the best, current players in world football/soccer today in Christiano Ronaldo, they have to be counted as seriously dangerous.

3. Ghana - Essentially a bogey team for the US.

The US has its work cut out for them, but I have SOME faith. Klinsman has really turned the US into a decent team and at least judging by friendlies, the team should feel they have a chance.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I really want France to win. Would be so cool.

Either way, the Group of Death, Germany and Ghana are getting out.

Ghana have beaten the US before, and the US don't even have their best players on the squad. Portugal have one clinical player in Ronaldo. Maybe a few others can help, like Nani. But in the end, Germany's super-team and Ghana's all-around talented team will be too much.

• Brohoof 1

Well, Germany had some terrible news in that Marco Reus, one of their most dangerous players, is not out injured thanks to a ligament tear after the friendly against Armenia. I hate it for Germany; honestly. :(

MIGHT be good for the US, but I never like wishing injury one a player; especially one so young.

Well, Germany had some terrible news in that Marco Reus, one of their most dangerous players, is not out injured thanks to a ligament tear after the friendly against Armenia. I hate it for Germany; honestly. :(

MIGHT be good for the US, but I never like wishing injury one a player; especially one so young.

Speaking of injuries, there's been so many of those... Here's a list of notable players out of the World Cup...

Franck Ribery

Radamel Falcao

Marco Reus

Cristiano Ronaldo (maybe)

Theo Walcott

Alvaro Saborio

Robbie Kruse

Christian Benteke

The list goes on... :(

Speaking of injuries, there's been so many of those... Here's a list of notable players out of the World Cup...

Franck Ribery

Radamel Falcao

Marco Reus

Cristiano Ronaldo (maybe)

Theo Walcott

Alvaro Saborio

Robbie Kruse

Christian Benteke

The list goes on... :(

Augh, Ribery is one of my favorites and he had announced this as his last World Cup. Ugh, heartbreaking. One of Bayern's shining stars easily.

Speaking Germany, goalkeeper Neuer & captain Lahm were injured for a time as well, and the latter wasn't in total match fitness either. Not liking Germany's chances for the cup.

• Brohoof 1

The injuries are really racking up. Kinda funny how most of Germany's big stars all got hurt, so close to the world cup. It's horrible considering that I'm rooting for them to win.

It still bothers me that Mexico qualified for the World Cup; for once I would like to see them play a team that's not based on how much merchandise they can sell. Whatever, I don't even see their chances of advancing as remotely good anyways.

I usually root for my home  nation (England) plus one other team considering we never do anything in these tournaments. I haven't decided on my 2nd team yet, I will see who I'm drawn to in the group stages. 

Definitely should've been 2-2. There will be a LOT of controversy now considering this scoreline.

Croatia played a great game; and probably would've been more dangerous had Mandzukic not been suspended during the qualifiers.

• Brohoof 3

All I want to hear tomorrow is the commentator screaming ARJEN ROBBEN after he scores one hell of a goal!

• Brohoof 1

Would've been a really good match, but the cheap penalty ruined it. Brazil got lucky, they didn't impress. Hope Croatia can bounce back

Looking forward to tomorrow!  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

I hear people crying foul at today's opening game. At first, I thought it was the right call, but when I saw the replays, Fred... he dived. Even if he didn't, at the very least, it should be a no call.

Poor refereeing or favourtism? You decide. 

I hear people crying foul at today's opening game. At first, I thought it was the right call, but when I saw the replays, Fred... he dived. Even if he didn't, at the very least, it should be a no call.

Poor refereeing or favourtism? You decide. 

I would just say poor referring. Now, I don't want to be too harsh on Japanese referees as I'm not sure of the quality or intensity of the Japanese league vs. The World Cup, but he wasn't great at all. Almost MLS at times (and I'm saying that as a MLS fan).

• Brohoof 1

Wow, there were some sketchy calls there. Croatia should of had the second goal.

Spain vs Netherlands tomorrow, should be quite interesting.

Not really. Netherlands have lost skills. I read from on football ((soccer)) magazine, that Chile and Spanish will go through.

I hope best for Brazil, Germany and Italy.