Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming To Console Gamers: Graphics or Framerate?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

Graphics vs Framerate  

33 users have voted

1. 1. If you're a console gamer, do you prefer better graphics or higher framerate?

• 60FPS. Developers should focus more on smooth gameplay; games look good enough already.
    • 45FPS. Developers should balance smooth gameplay and graphics; both could use some improvement.
    • 30FPS. Developers should put more focus on game graphics; I don't mind the lower framerate for better visuals.

(edited)

The point of that image went completely over your head.

I got what the point was supposed to be but the wrong term was used unless that was also the point. Something like this would have made more sense in terms of framerate.

5kQZbV3.gif

Edited by Krovavaya Luna

The only people I hear going on about frame rate and graphics are Xbox fanboys.  Must be because they're butthurt about paying $500+ for a console that is behind in both departments.

I don't know, Forlong. I think it's mostly PC players talking about frame rate seeing as that's one category they've pretty much always reigned supreme in. I don't think the average console player is overly concerned with frame rate, honestly.

I got what the point was supposed to be but the wrong term was used unless that was also the point. Something like this would have made more sense in terms of framerate.

That... that's not nearly as effective.

That... that's not nearly as effective.

Makes more sense than having the framerate be associated with graphical detail; it's possible to play games like Crysis 3 or any other recent titles on maximum graphics on a decade old computer getting framerates like 10 seconds per frame.

Sometimes, I really wonder how much of a difference higher frame rate would make, gameplay wise, in the average single player game. I know it makes a big difference in games that require fast reaction times and precision and such, but take a game like Bayonetta and I'm not really sure I'd even notice a difference.

Makes more sense than having the framerate be associated with graphical detail; it's possible to play games like Crysis 3 or any other recent titles on maximum graphics on a decade old computer getting framerates like 10 seconds per frame.

Yes, that makes more sense, but is less effective in getting the point across, which ultimately makes it less useful in this situation. This is off topic though, so I don't really want to continue past this.

Sometimes, I really wonder how much of a difference higher frame rate would make, gameplay wise, in the average single player game. I know it makes a big difference in games that require fast reaction times and precision and such, but take a game like Bayonetta and I'm not really sure I'd even notice a difference.

Yes, that makes more sense, but is less effective in getting the point across, which ultimately makes it less useful in this situation. This is off topic though, so I don't really want to continue past this.

For many slower paced single player games, I would definitely agree that 30fps is an adequate target. That being said, Bayonetta 2 for Wii U is targeting 1080p @ 60 fps. It's an example of a very fast-paced game that can benefit from a higher framerate, so that's definitely good news.

(edited)

For many slower paced single player games, I would definitely agree that 30fps is an adequate target. That being said, Bayonetta 2 for Wii U is targeting 1080p @ 60 fps. It's an example of a very fast-paced game that can benefit from a higher framerate, so that's definitely good news.

Fair enough. That's nice and all, it really is, but I doubt I'd notice. I mean, Bayonetta's the type of game where I mostly just mash a bunch of buttons and then win (I'm sure that sounds really insulting to the fans). It's no exaggeration that I've been playing games that run at 60fps for years and didn't notice until recently.

You know, it will probably end up as one of those situations where I don't really "see" it but I can kind of "feel" it. Which is why I would like higher fps. ( For all my arguing against higher fps, I do actually want that  :muffins:)

Edited by Mutemutt

Framerate? What even is that? I hear about it, but I never notice it. Apparently Mario Kart 8 runs with 59FPS, but it is a gorgeous game. I don't care about pointless specs like that.

framerate is the basis of a game...essentially its the rate at which a device (video cameras, consoles, PC's for example) produces unique consecutive images basically known as frames...a GIF is a good example of frames 

img-2115878-1-yikes_for_horns_mlp_gif_by

framerate is the basis of a game...essentially its the rate at which a device (video cameras, consoles, PC's for example) produces unique consecutive images basically known as frames...a GIF is a good example of frames 

img-2115878-1-yikes_for_horns_mlp_gif_by

Well, then, I've never played a single game where I've seen any issues with that, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. =/

Well, then, I've never played a single game where I've seen any issues with that, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. =/

low FPS does not effectively give the illusion of motion and affects the user's capacity to interact with the game, while FPS that varies substantially from one second to the next depending on computational load produces uneven, "choppy" movement or animation. Many games lock their frame rate at lower but more sustainable levels to give consistently smooth motion. 

Graphics are most important for me. I love a beautiful game like Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash Bros Wii U or even Yoshi's Wooly World looks great. But the frame rate, I don't know. I used to not even notice but lately with 60 frames being a thing I do notice a difference between 60 and 30. It doesn't bother me much. I'm too immersed in the game to really care.