Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do if there's a huge spider/bug in your room?

Carbon Maestro

Dealing with giant spiders.  

213 users have voted

1. 1. A huge spider is in your room. Do you...

• Get a cup, trap it, then release it outside?
    • Swat it, then use a napkin to throw it away?
    • Throw water at it, then swat it?
    • Burn everything within a 4 meter radius.
    • Get someone else to get rid of it.
    • Catch it in a cup, and keep it as a pet.
    • Don't bother with it (Leave it alone).

So people react differently to spiders/mosquito/bugs in their room. Look at the poll and I think it sums up how most people are going to react.

Living near the beach in California, we tend to get a LOT of big black widows (which are poisonous and deadly to some people) coming through the cracks of the doors/windows during the summer. I usually catch them and release it a few blocks away from my room just to be sure.

How would you normally react to a giant bug in your room? Keep it, leave it alone, or kill it?

• Brohoof 3

I'm a lover of spiders; I actually think they're exceedingly neat and even beautiful animals.  But, I live with a family member that's none too keen on them.  So, I generally trap and remove spiders from our home.  If it's a little web spider just minding its own web spider business, I might get away with leaving it be.  And I'm just curious, but how big are these black widow spiders you referred to?  I was under the impression that they were rather small.  But then, I used to live - in a building - with a bunch of large-ish spiders.  There was a blanket of spider webs covering much of the kitchen ceiling; I kid you not.  That, at least, was kinda awesome.

• Brohoof 2

I leave harmless spiders alone. Aggressive ones or ones that have harmful-to-humans venom I usually catch-and-release. I admit I've squished a couple when I first moved into my current house because for awhile they were seriously taking over the entire house. :( Like you could set something down for two seconds, pick it up, and a spider would run out from under it. I feel really bad about squishing them though. Luckily they moved back outside now that it's warmer.

• Brohoof 2

A glass over it and a piece of paper underneath to take them out of the room, I don't want to kill something harmless simply out of fear.

I would put the spider in a cup and release it outside. Although, I also usually like to leave them alone until it leaves.

Spiders specifically are my allies for the most part. We share a common enemy, the common house fly. If it's just a giant bug though, I kind of go all stealth on it and silently strike with a thick book or supercharged electric flyswatter.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Spiders are fine but moths.. You don't want to be a moth in my room. Flying insects are the worst.

Edited by Lumen
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Seeing as i have a sort of Insectophobia(I get scared shitless for every single bug/insect/arachnoids/anything thats their size), there is 2 things i could do:

1: Try everything i can to either get it out or kill it, and toss the carcass somewhere that nowhere near me

2: Run out of my room and scream for anyone thats in the house to get rid of it :P

Edited by Bradley-MysteryLord

The only bugs that I go out of my way to remove from my home are some type of stink bug.  I'm not sure if they're even officially part of the stink bug family, but they do make an awful odor when you suck them up in a vacuum.

If it's completely harmless, minding it's own business, I'll trap it in a cup and take it outside if I can. I try not to kill anything but I will if I have to... I hate bugs. A lot. :unsure:

If there's no one in the house, I will let my dog eat it.. I know it's not a good thing to do, but I will go into meltdown mode if there's a particularly big spider nearby.

Usually, however, there is someone in the house, and they have a duster they make them sit on and put them outside for me.

That's spiders and crane flies though. Most other bugs are alright or I can get rid of them myself. Even that particularly vicious centipede I found I could get rid of myself.. and I like watching moths and beetles. heh.

If it's a cicada, I hold it for a while. 

Cicadas are nice and docile, so that's no problem. 

If it's a cockroach, I try not to swat or kill it inside. I try to not touch it since they carry around germs. 

If it's a spider, one that doesn't bite, I try to pick it up and handle it before releasing it outside. 

While I was typing this a bug crawled on to my keyboard. :okiedokielokie:  Anyway, if there are bugs, I usually squash them with my hands. :yay:  Throw it away without any napkin. B)  I either release or just don't do anything to a spider.

It depends on who I'm with. If I'm alone, I'll scream and run from the room, refusing to go back in until someone's squashed it. It I'm with my sister, I calmly tell her to go get my father. If I'm with my friend, who is terrified of spiders, I'll huddle with her on the opposite side of the room.

1. Acquire mop.

Acquire plastic disposable shopping bag.

Acquire gorilla tape.

Place bag over cleaning end of mop.

Rip off 5ft of tape.

Fold first third over middle third so that both sides are sticky.

Fold last third over so that it sticks the two other thirds together.

Stick the now double-sided tape to the exposed edge of the plastic bag.

Use broom to swat bug on ceiling, wall, or otherwise unreachable place. Make sure bug gets stuck to exposed tape.

Pull broom-bag-tape thing away from surface.

Laugh at bug.

Take broom-bag-tape thing outside.

Take plastic bag off.

Invert plastic bag and tie it up with bug inside.

Throw plastic bag in dumpster.

Put broom away.

Win!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Depends what and where it is.  If it's something extremely poisonous like a black widow, i'm gonna squish it because it's putting my family and pets at risk.  If it's just some random bug, I'll try to get it outside. If it's ants, i'm gonna do everything I can to eliminate them.  If it's just some random spider up in the corner, I'll leave it because then I won't have to deal with all the other bugs.  lol

Also, about a second before I saw this thread, there was a spider crawling on my arm.  I slapped it.  Sorry, but you bugs are out of your safe zone when you choose to invade my personal skin.

Edited by ScumCandy

Well, it depends on the size and type of bug it is. I've captured quite a few jumping spiders and sat them in front of my computer before and they even look at the screen sometimes (For instance, I was on this exact forum when I was placing the spider down in front of the screen and it just glared at the screen wondering "What the hell is all this?! Ponies?! What is this "My Little Pony" this human is looking at?" :lol:)!

But for most bugs, like flies and wasps and bees (the latter two are very rare!), as well as tiny flying insects will appear in my room on occasion, but I usually just smash them to their untimely demise! B) If it's a bee or a wasp or fly, I get my dad to deal with them.

As for jumping spiders, I just cannot bring myself to kill such a small bug! I mean, look how small it is!

Platy%20undat%20vickis%20face.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

As for jumping spiders, I just cannot bring myself to kill such a small bug! I mean, look how small it is!

Platy%20undat%20vickis%20face.jpg

Have you seen those spiders when they're fully grown?  

I used to keep tons of those as pets, they come in so many colors.   :)

I love moths, I would keep them all in the house, but my granny hates them and makes me take them outside XD and I take crickets outside.  

I've only had a bee in the house once, and I think it ended up dying in the window or it found a way out, because it disappeared.

I'd probably lock everyone in one room while I hunted down a wasp if it got in the house though.  Those things have it in for me because i was a wasp bully when i was little.

Edited by ScumCandy
  • Brohoof 1