Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else not like alcohol?

SolidTwilight

238 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like to drink alcohol

• I like to drink all the time!
    • I like to drink some times.
    • I only drink when every one else is also.
    • I don't really but do sometimes.
    • I don't like to at all
    • Don't know, never tried it.

I'm not sure why, but I've just never liked the taste of it.

Sangria is about the only thing I can consume.

I'm having enough fun already, so I needn't be drunk. ^^

Tea and soda for me.

I don't drink and never have.  And have no desire to do so.  Not climbing onto a high horse or anything lol; just a personal choice + lack of interest in doing so (and having an aunt who's an alcoholic is probably something of a deterrent).  I did have one accidental sip when I was a little kid (too young to even remember it), and the resulting look on my face has been described to me as not being good. xD  Maybe that one sip was enough to instill in me a desire to never let the likes of it again touch my lips!!

I dislike the taste of alcohol but I did eat something called rum cake before and it tasted fine to me.  Even though I don't enjoy alcoholic beverages, perhaps alcohol tastes better with other products.

I've never had alcohol in my life (28 years old), not counting the amount in a dose of nighttime multi-symptom cold/flu relief medicine.  Alcohol makes me uncomfortable.  I don't like the whole idea of it.  Being around people who are intoxicated in any way makes me nervous and ill at ease.  The idea of ingesting a substance that can permanently damage my body and make me lose control of myself downright scares me.  I've never had the slightest desire to try it.  I often wish that alcohol could be disinvented/erased from our world.  I understand that when used responsibly, it's not a big deal, and I have several friends who drink socially and responsibly.  My brother is a connoisseur of beers and loves to do his own brewing.  It doesn't bother me because I've never seen him, or any of my friends drunk.  I've never seen my brother even tipsy enough to lose a hand at poker (one of his favortie hobbies).  I've never seen my friend drink enough to prevent him from owning everyone in an online Halo match.  When it's kept at that level, I don't have a problem.  But given the amount of violence alcohol causes, I just wish it's something that wasn't such a necessity in our society.

What really grinds my gears is the all-too-common mentality that it's impossible to have a good time without alcohol.  So many people seem to feel that way, and that really depresses me.  I know that many people just drink it to "loosen up," and they don't get smashed drunk.  Like I said, if used responsibly, I'm ok with it, but so many people abuse it, like @SolidTwilight's brothers, and simply can't have fun without it.  That's really sad.  One doesn't need alcohol to loosen up, be silly and goofy, and have a great time at a party.  (I'd like to direct your attention to a certain pink pony whom we all know and love.)

And another thing, I greatly resent it when people accuse a person who is laughing and in a goofy, silly mood of being drunk/high.  Contrary to what many people seem to believe, it is entirely possible to get in a goofy mood while hanging out with friends, and laugh hysterically at things that wouldn't normally be funny while being completely sober.  I think it's a little insulting when cynical people constantly say that someone must be high just because they're laughing and in an off-the-wall mood.  Perhaps that person is just a carefree spirited person who loves to laugh and be silly.  (I'd like to direct your attention to a certain pink pony whom we all know and love.)

I can tolerate my friends drinking a little, but I don't think I could tolerate a potential mate drinking.  A very occassional, small glass of wine, maybe, but that's it.  The obsession with alcohol in our society often makes me think I'll never find anyone I could marry who doesn't drink.  It scares me.  Ok, I've spoken my peace.  I'm done.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Being around intoxicated people makes me uneasy. I've seen people I care for getting drunk to the point that they throw up or pass out, and I don't like seeing that one bit.

Then we have the dickless criminals who put drugs in other peoples drinks, making their victims easier to rob.

F*CK. NO. I ain't touching that shit.

Edited by Larsurus
  • Brohoof 3

I've noticed that a lot of folks I've talked to have an aversion to alcohol that stems from being around others or having family members that get hammered drunk.

I find that interesting because I have extreme alcoholics on my dad's side of the family, and that didn't turn me off of alcohol.

What it did teach me, however, is that over-indulgence is a terrible thing and avoiding it is key. It's the same deal with marijuana; people regale me with tales of lazy stoners who get in trouble with the law and tell me that's why they don't like weed or anyone who does it.

I'm sorry that people have had bad experiences, but I've known people who consume alcohol, smoke weed, or done both, and I have examples of upstanding citizens and criminals in that same group. You can't judge people just because they consume a substance. That's silly and a short-sighted way of viewing people in my opinion. Judge a man or woman by who they are, not because they consume or do something that you aren't fond of but that hurts no one else.

• Brohoof 3

I've noticed that a lot of folks I've talked to have an aversion to alcohol that stems from being around others or having family members that get hammered drunk.

I find that interesting because I have extreme alcoholics on my dad's side of the family, and that didn't turn me off of alcohol.

What it did teach me, however, is that over-indulgence is a terrible thing and avoiding it is key. It's the same deal with marijuana; people regale me with tales of lazy stoners who get in trouble with the law and tell me that's why they don't like weed or anyone who does it.

I'm sorry that people have had bad experiences, but I've known people who consume alcohol, smoke weed, or done both, and I have examples of upstanding citizens and criminals in that same group. You can't judge people just because they consume a substance. That's silly and a short-sighted way of viewing people in my opinion. Judge a man or woman by who they are, not because they consume or do something that you aren't fond of but that hurts no one else.

Most of my family are alcoholics.  Never made me hate alcohol.  If anything, they helped me find my limits. lol

• Brohoof 1

Most of my family are alcoholics.  Never made me hate alcohol.  If anything, they helped me find my limits. lol

I should've added that about me as well. I've known at least a dozen alcoholics, and they taught me what not to do when drinking alcohol. Suffice to say, thanks to them I've never been drunk and I've enjoyed all sorts of alcoholic beverages to my heart's content. To me, it's a lot of fun to try all sorts of different wines, hard liquors, and yes, even beers, to find interesting tastes or flavor combinations. Heck, there's even mixed drinks which bring all sorts of wonderful flavors to the table.

I can understand not being a fan and perhaps having things in your life that cause you to not like alcohol, but don't judge others or discount it entirely based off of that.

• Brohoof 1

I should've added that about me as well. I've known at least a dozen alcoholics, and they taught me what not to do when drinking alcohol. Suffice to say, thanks to them I've never been drunk and I've enjoyed all sorts of alcoholic beverages to my heart's content. To me, it's a lot of fun to try all sorts of different wines, hard liquors, and yes, even beers, to find interesting tastes or flavor combinations. Heck, there's even mixed drinks which bring all sorts of wonderful flavors to the table.

I can understand not being a fan and perhaps having things in your life that cause you to not like alcohol, but don't judge others or discount it entirely based off of that.

One of my favorite things is asking a bartender to surprise me.  They gave me something one day that tasted like a chocolate cake.  Was so good  :wub:

One of my favorite things is asking a bartender to surprise me.  They gave me something one day that tasted like a chocolate cake.  Was so good  :wub:

Okay now we're talking, did you find out what exactly what he mixed together to give it that taste? I'm not an expert on mixing drinks, so that sounds freaking awesome.

(edited)

Okay now we're talking, did you find out what exactly what he mixed together to give it that taste? I'm not an expert on mixing drinks, so that sounds freaking awesome.

She didn't really know, because the other bartender actually made it, she just brought it to me.  But I've seen both chocolate vodka and birthday cake vodka at the store, so I'm guessing it was probably those mixed.

Edited by ScumCandy

She didn't really know, because the other bartender actually made it, she just brought it to me.  But I've seen both chocolate vodka and birthday cake vodka at the store, so I'm guessing it was probably those mixed.

I've seen chocolate vodka before, but for some reason it just seemed like such an odd drink that I wouldn't like it. If you're saying that it tasted great though, maybe I've got to reconsider that decision.

I've seen chocolate vodka before, but for some reason it just seemed like such an odd drink that I wouldn't like it. If you're saying that it tasted great though, maybe I've got to reconsider that decision.

I could be completely wrong, it might not have even been vodka.  XD You can probably find a good recipe online and see if it has a good rating though.

I've drunk before (and been drunk). It was with friends however. I don't think I would trust myself being alone while my judgment is terrible. I don't think I'll choose to drink that much again anymore though.

I could not have worded that any better. That's exactly how I feel. There are certain things I don't particularly like, but I'm not going to shrug off a person just because they may enjoy said things. It's not like it's harming me at all. Weed and cigarettes are most common two things I don't like, but I know plenty of people who smoke them and I'm not about to judge them or refuse to interact with them for such a silly reason.

Potential partners is a different story, but as far as friends go? I know a few amazing people who make... questionable lifestyle choices. This doesn't stop them from being amazing people though. They're not harming me, or anyone else. I value their friendship far more than my moral outrage.

• Brohoof 1

I never had a proper drink (just tastes) of alcohol until I turned 19 (legal age in Ontario). On my 19th I got drunk for the first time just to see what it was like, but I was with a bunch of co-workers who I had only recently met. I think because of this, when I got drunk I basically went mute and didn't talk to anyone. I had fun but for some reason just didn't feel like talking. Then when I moved back home after the summer, my friends threw me a coming home party and I figured I'd give it another try, and it was way more fun. I acted a lot more "drunk" and crazy because I knew everyone there. Nowadays, because I dislike the taste of alcohol I basically drink to get drunk once or twice a year with a group of responsible friends.

To me drinking isn't "drinking because that's the only way to be happy". It's more of a happiness (or any other emotion) amplifier that makes really special occasions that you are already hyped for even more fun. As long as you don't throw up and drink lots of water before bed it makes for a great night!

I can find happiness in other things.  But it is also something I enjoy.  I enjoy the taste and I enjoy the feeling it gives me.  It's like a warm tingle with a lifted mood.  

I could ask people why would they ever need to find happiness in roller coasters just because I'm scared of heights, but I know that different strokes for different folks. :)

It's not for everyone, but it is something that I like.

'Cause it's fun. Why do people go on roller coasters, or go parachuting, or ski? All those things have inherent danger to them as well, but they're fun. Tipsiness is a pleasant sensation, just like a roller coaster is. (Being flat-on-the-floor drunk is not pleasant, and I've long since learned how NOT to drink myself into that state.)

Roller coasters, parachuting & skiing are about the physical effects generated by the body's own exposure to the stimului. The highs acquired form those events are natural.  They don't cause you to feel good by altering brain function via foreign chemicals. I'm just not comfortable with having a persons mind altered in that way. 

You make it sounds like that's all we ever do. Barring alcoholic, people enjoy other things in life. The fact that you are viewing us in such a bad manner boggles my mind.

If you are capable of doing other things in life, then it shouldn't be too hard of enjoying yourself without the mind altering/ liver wrecking chemicals. I see people who drink or partake in other substances as those who can't feel the same highs as sober folk. Much like how some people need medicines like anti-depressants to feel happiness, drinkers need alcohol to get on a normal persons level. I think that's why some take to it so well, while those who reject drinking are those who don't need the help. 

(edited)

I personally don't like it simply caues I never developed a taste for it. Sure I had my daqueri or sweet strawberry margeritta, but those are practically teenage drinks compared to beer, red whine, tequila, vokda etc.

Thing is though my parents were alchohalics, my mother is a recovering alchohalic probably for the rest of her life, its been over 2yrs since she's been sober! (So proud of her!)

Alchohal was a huge problem in my family on an emotional as well as physical scale, it wasn't unheard of police would come over due to domestic disputes involved with one of the adults being drunk and aggressive in the house. But all thats changed due to a slap of the face of reality.

I'm not saying my life is better and stress free since alchohal was removed, we still face stresses like anyone else. But alchohal has made those stresses, less difficult to face together as family.

Edited by Lightning Bliss

(edited)

Alcohol is the nectar of the Gods. For me it goes

Triple Distilled Vodka >  Scottish Malt Whiskey = Cognac Brandy > Dark Spiced Rum > Gin > Dark Stout Beer = White Wine

Drink up my friends

P.S. drinking Водка straight is the true way

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED