Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Your Period a Good Excuse to Take Off Work?

Hive King

Periods and Work  

35 users have voted

1. 1. Is it a good excuse?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Should having your period warrant you getting a day off? Before you ask, this was inspired by Tumblr discussions, so yeah. Discuss

Too much info ahead, but do you know how painful periods can be? Sometimes, I can't even move from mine. I've had to leave school early several times thanks to cramps. Yeah, you should get a day off from that.

• Brohoof 3

Too much info ahead, but do you know how painful periods can be? Sometimes, I can't even move from mine. I've had to leave school early several times thanks to cramps. Yeah, you should get a day off from that.

No, I don't. That's why I didn't express an opinion since I am woefully uninformed on either side. I'm just bored so decided to make a topic

No, I don't. That's why I didn't express an opinion since I am woefully uninformed on either side. I'm just bored so decided to make a topic

Oops, I don't know why I didn't think you were a guy. D':

Oops, I don't know why I didn't think you were a guy. D':

You could just check my profile  :lol:

I am under no illusions of me having knowledge on this though, it's just that people have differing opinions. Some people say it's a cheap way to wiggle out of work, others say it's crippling agony

• Brohoof 1

While I am male, and I don't have the requisite parts to experience the sensation, I am of the opinion that it is not a valid reason to take time off of work if it will not negatively impact your performance in any significant way. However, some women experience it differently, i.e, major cramping. This can be a valid reason if it is crippling.

So no, not the period in itself, but maybe on some side effects thereof.

This is one of the reasons why I am glad to be a guy, I think it depends on how bad it is I will never know what it is like but I hear that for some women it is a bit better for some it is a bit worse.

(edited)

I was originally going to answer "no" flat out, but...

Some people have it worse than others, and there might be people with particularly nasty medical shiznit. Mine make it harder to move and get me feeling rather tired and testy, but still functional. I imagine it's much more annoying to deal with with jobs requiring manual labor (rather than my 'job' as a student, which requires me to sit still in chairs for a day), but still, it's manageable for the average woman on an average day. 

I would absolutely not rate it as an automatic day off. Besides, workers who are AOL for a few days every month? Not exactly desirable. 

Edited by Stellafera

I don't think having your period is a reason to take off work unless you have pains that are unbearable.

I was originally going to answer "no" flat out, but...

Some people have it worse than others, and there might be people with particularly nasty medical shiznit. Mine make it harder to move and get me feeling rather tired and testy, but still functional. I imagine it's much more annoying to deal with with jobs requiring manual labor (rather than my 'job' as a student, which requires me to sit still in chairs for a day), but still, it's manageable for the average woman on an average day. 

I would absolutely not rate it as an automatic day off. Besides, workers who are AOL for a few days every month? Not exactly desirable. 

Well, after reading the thread, I don't believe that it should be used as an EXCUSE, but if it is so bad, you can't even function, I think you should take a day off. It shouldn't be an every month thing though.

• Brohoof 2

Every guy with an opinion better get out of this thread right now.

Yes I think it should be a day off if you need it.

Mine get so bad I can't even move sometimes, and I have to lay down and just press on myself for a long time until a cramp goes away.  Plus no matter what I do, I bleed everywhere.  All over the seat I'll be sitting in, all over whatever clothes I'm wearing.  Plus I'll probably be in the bathroom all day anyways.

I heard they give days off for this in Japan.

Well, after reading the thread, I don't believe that it should be used as an EXCUSE, but if it is so bad, you can't even function, I think you should take a day off. It shouldn't be an every month thing though.

Mine are like that every month.

• Brohoof 1

Well this is a surprising topic lol...

As a guy i don't have much to offer here,but i do think if the period is that bad that you feel you should stay home,then stay home lol..

Tho i guess it depends on you're job also..

It varies. Like some days it's super painful and some days not. But the boss man will never know if you're lying on how painful it is anyways. But like I said. It varies. And it's mainly the cramps unless you've got some sort of issue. But I think it's perfectly ok to take a day off if the cramps are so bad it feels like you're going to vomit from it when you stand or even if you can't stand. But like I said, DA BOSS MAN DON'T KNOW YOU LYING KAY?

I missed so much school every month as a teen.  >.>

The days I braved going to school anyways, I'd be cleaning blood off my chair by recess or switching classes.  I wish those days didn't count as absences, but alas, i'm a girl.   :(

• Brohoof 1

I missed so much school every month as a teen.  >.>

The days I braved going to school anyways, I'd be cleaning blood off my chair by recess or switching classes.  I wish those days didn't count as absences, but alas, i'm a girl.   :(

Ah! Darling, that's awful. I had to go to school being drugged up on ibuprofen so I wouldn't feel my cramps. I would be so tired and cranky though, I always felt so gross. ;n; 

Ah! Darling, that's awful. I had to go to school being drugged up on ibuprofen so I wouldn't feel my cramps. I would be so tired and cranky though, I always felt so gross. ;n; 

Medicine did nothing to help me.  Well, the midol helped a bit, but it took hours to work, you know?

• Brohoof 1

Medicine did nothing to help me.  Well, the midol helped a bit, but it took hours to work, you know?

Trust me, girl. I totally feel you. Sometimes the medicine never helped at all... u_u

• Brohoof 1

@,@,

As lovely as it is seeing you two bond over fallen uterus linings, can we please stay on topic? Sorry, it's just that I don't like derailed threads(even though I cause them far more than I should)

Oh, and @, about all men with an opinion bailing, what about transgender men? They would know about the other side of the spectrum as well. Heavily tempted to make Yugioh reference

• Brohoof 2

@,@,

As lovely as it is seeing you two bond over fallen uterus linings, can we please stay on topic? Sorry, it's just that I don't like derailed threads(even though I cause them far more than I should)

Oh, and @, about all men with an opinion bailing, what about transgender men? They would know about the other side of the spectrum as well. Heavily tempted to make Yugioh reference

This is very on topic.  We're discussing the reasons WHY it should be days off.

I don't know what you mean by transgendered men.  do you mean bio men?  They've never had and will never have a period.  And if you mean bio girls, then they no longer have periods.

• Brohoof 2

uterus bonding ftw, and haha sorry. We'll stay on topic. :P
Though I have nothing else to discuss in the matter. 

• Brohoof 2