Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Invincible

I detest using last names with people, I don't really know why either. Part of me feels it's disrespectful, as though I consider them nothing more than a professional aquaintence rather than an actual friend. But that's only a part of me, the rest has absolutely no answer as to why I dislike it.

I don't usually, but I know one guy who I met on MLP forums and talk to on Skype who has a nick name that I think is the first four letters of his last name...

But apart from that no I don't I just call people by there first name :)

(edited)

I really don't like to, unless it's necessary for some reason.  I feel like it's slightly demeaning - To rip the respect or interpersonality out of someone.

There are seven people named "John" where I work, and they usually tend to work at the same time, and it's not like there are thirty people on the floor at all times, (Usually a little over half of that.)  so we have little choice but to call the Johns by their last names.  One of them goes by their last name by default anyway. 

Three of the Johns have a last name that begins with the same letter.  It's creepy. :P    More than twice every single day, we catch someone saying "Hey John B, <something>"  and we all shout at them to ask them which John B.   I mean, geez... you're one of the people shouting at others to specify.  Why would you say John B now?

Edited by SkyDream

(edited)

I was given the nick name Lewie (modified last name) because there were 7 people with my first name in my grade, and One of them having the same first and last name as I. :lol:  I never had an issue with it though.

Edited by Sunshower Raindrops
  • Brohoof 1

Depends on the person. If I'm close to them and I don't feel the need to act seriously around them, then I might call them by their last name. I did that perpetually to some of teachers in high school, but that's it. I'm on a first-name basis with family members and friends, however.

I call one of my friends with his last name all the time simply because it is his nickname at the same time. And it sounds also pretty hilarious haha But except that not really - most people would see it as sign of disrespect and it really is not nicest thing to do in Poland. That friend is only one exception.

No.. Not even teachers and adults, because it's just not something you do here and beside some of my friends last names are difficult to say, but next year I'll probably call the teachers by their last name. :huh:  

Nope, I can't think of any people that I repeatedly call by their last name. It seems kinda weird for me to call them that, although sometimes I hear it when I'm in school since we have a few people with the same first names. 

Yeah, sometimes. I know a few people who get called by their last name frequently. The people who call others by last names usually seem to be coaches, and or teachers. I have seen people call their friends by their last name before. 

Yep, I don't know why. Sometimes I remember last names better than first names and I just find it a lot more fun to say. In fact, one of my friend and I say each other's last names to greet each other. I even put last names as a person's name for their contact. 

I am always called by my last name at work, probably because there were two coworkers that shared my first name.... I also had a friend I called by his last name because it was catchy

I attended an all-male high school, and virtually everyone addressed each other with by last name.  It was pretty common, and even the many of the teachers would call us by our last names.  So I guess yeah, I've called a lot of people by their last names.

YEEEHEEES!! When my cousin and I are playing Minecraft, I call him by his alter ego's last name all the time! My friend and I have this thing going on where we always call him by his alternate last name "Banks" or "Banksy" as she calls him. It soo ticks him off, so we keep it up just to troll him!:D