Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Invincible

There's a guy I work with in his 70's who's name is Richard Nixon. I usually just call him Nixon along with a couple other people. He's fine with it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There's a guy I work with in his 70's who's name is Richard Nixon. I usually just call him Nixon along with a couple other people. He's fine with it.

nixon sounds like the best surname you can be born with

Edited by Jake_
  • Brohoof 1

yeah, for me it's if there are 2 friends of the same name in a group, the one we met later gets referred to as their last name to avoid confusion, so i have an old friend called James, but then i met James Dransfield, so we started referring to him as Dransfield.

any conversation between the three of us is hilarious though, i know James, and Dransfield, but James refers to Dransfield as James and to me as Joe, But Dransfield knew a Joe so he calls me by my middle name, Alex, and refers to James as Duggie.

no one can follow a conversation between us XD

I always either call people by their first name or just Sir, or Madam, in case it has to be very formal.

However, when I talk to someone about person X, then I will refer to person X by his/her last name.

This is to prevent confusion in case several people have the same first name. It also helps if I don't sound to familiar.

• 8 months later...

I prefer calling someone by their first name; being formal like that isn't my style at all.  -_- Generally, though, I try to refer to people without mention of their name... and it's not like I speak that much in the first place... :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I'd prefer Starlight over Glimmer. Glimmer is too sparkly.

Seriously though nobody can even pronounce my last name properly so they generally avoid saying it. Because people rarely call me by my last name, I don't call other people by theirs either. Logic for the win!~

Edited by Starlight Glimmer

In Italy, classmates call themselves by surname. If last name is too complicate or sounds ridicoulous, they call you by name, or troll\bully you, depending how much "funny" your surname is, (results may vary by kind of classmates/age you have). Too sad. -_-

Edited by Dingo_Dash

I don't remember the last time I have referred to anyone by their last name, and the only people who refer to me by mine are receptionists or clerks at businesses who see my full name in their system. Honestly I don't understand why people feel compelled to call unfamiliar people by their last names. It seems rather dehumanizing in a way.

There were a few people in my high school class that everyone called by their last name.

Oddly enough there was only one guy that had a nickname in my class that everyone identified him with. It was Weasel. :P

Yeah, in high school I had a friend with the same first name as me so I called him by his last name.

Things could get confusing otherwise because in one class I took in 9th grade there were 4 of us with the same first name!

Edited by Gearbox10mm

Yes I do, currently about 3 in high school, only because their last names sound better than their first. Besides that no, I call everyone else by their first names.

Things could get confusing otherwise because in one class I took in 9th grade there were 4 of us with the same first name!

When I was in high school there were two girls who had the same first name and last name! (And yes, they were in the same class for at least one subject).

Depends. I call most of my male classmates by their last name, but just because everyone else does. I sometimes call some of my female classmates by last name too, but usually just when I talk about them.

Also, there's this girl in my class that has my same last name (no relation). She's called by last name, and I'm just not called.

In my old school I was always called by my last name, which got shortened to "pudge" by a good friend of mine (despite being 6"1 and thin xD)

In this new college of mine I don't get called by my last name, despite there being 3 of us in the same computing class. Its hilarious

Talking of that, we recently collaborated for a group project, and our team name was "The Three Toms"... because there were 3 toms in that class too xD

Yeah, in high school I had a friend with the same first name as me so I called him by his last name.

Your profile picture is absolutely perfect for that last sentence xD

Edited by bonamb