Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Invincible

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

No. To me, it's (generally) a sign of disrespect.

Walt Disney always insisted on being called Walt. So when Documentaries refer to Walt by his family name, it always bugs me.

No, you use the name "Disney" when referring to the company or the magicial world of Disney Characters and such.

• Brohoof 1

ye

it's a pretty common thing in australia for friends to call each other by their last name

we call one of our friends by their last name because it rolls off the tongue easier than her first name

I'm in the Army, and soldiers call each other by their last names almost all the time (unless they're really great friends). It's super weird to call someone by their first name. Almost like everyone else, but reversed. :huh:

Usually though, we call civilians by their first names, which is kinda weird sometimes. Like, this one guy in my unit, we'll call him Tony Jackson just to keep him safe... I'll call his wife by her first name, Amy, but I'll call him Jackson. :P

No because I personally hate being called by my last name; it's just so impersonal. I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't rather just be called by my first name

Sometimes their last name sound better; so I do call some people by their last name (they're usually friends; people I barely know I know their first name, or just forget their names totally)

I call friends by their last name if they dislike their first or middle name. A few of my friends did the same towards me when I felt pretty down about my legal name.

• 1 year later...

I never do. Last names are not important in my country. We don't have a "Mr Blah" or "Mrs Blah" thing going on. We just say "DU!" with translates to "YOU!"

On 10/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, Splashee® said:

I never do. Last names are not important in my country. We don't have a "Mr Blah" or "Mrs Blah" thing going on. We just say "DU!" with translates to "YOU!"

Wish I could do that. I don’t remember anyone’s names so shouting “YOU!” at them would be a lot easier :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

On 10/10/2020 at 6:36 AM, Splashee® said:

Lucky you! In my country you have to remember person's last name and father's name to call them politely

Why can't languages overgrow this polite-impolite styles and just refer everyone equally:okiedokieloki:

• 2 months later...

People used to call me by my last name. It became my nickname at my old job. Apparently it’s cooler than my first name.

I mean I agree with them tbh.

Edited by Operetta

• 2 weeks later...