Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Invincible

Unless it's a formal situation or I'm talking to a professor, no. I just find it weird. I remember in high school chem my teacher called everyone by their last names, and the first time he tried to get my attention he had to say it like three times because I was so unused to hearing it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only formally, like teachers or a boss (most of the time they liked using their first). As for me everybody calls me by my first name because no one can pronounce it.

Edited by Muffinnz

Back in high school, I had to address teachers by their last name (and their title), otherwise it's considered disrespectful.

Edited by RaraLover
Edited post to be more descriptive, and fixed grammar issues.
  • Brohoof 3

If we're talking about only using the last name, no titles like Dr., Mr., etc., then there's only one person I refer to that way. A friend I made in college and still talk to regularly. If we include titles, then there's a few, like my company's owner.

Oh, and of course @Mr. Horse! :yay:

• Brohoof 2

On 1/12/2021 at 1:32 AM, RaraLover said:

Back in high school, I have to address teachers by their last name, otherwise it's considered disrespectful.

I know a few school staff who I refer to their first name which seems fine to them. 

I wonder when I get to be adult and never going to school anymore, I could still refer to my former teachers by their last name.

• Brohoof 2

Mine was a nickname for me at my old job by my friends who just really liked my last name. Normally it’s people who arent well liked that get referred to by their last name. Around here it is anyway. If somebody around here  is using your last name to speak of you most the time it’s out of disrespect. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

For friends, family etc I use the first name. People I don't know I'd use the last name. This has something to do with familiarity and I would never address a stranger with this their first name (if I know it in the first place). But in general people are quickly offering the first name basis, so this is normally a only very tiny time window.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

i don't, on occasion you'll hear people calling people by their last name in casual conversation (Irish influence ig)

like just instead of someone (lets say "John Doe") being called john, sometimes they'd be called doe or doey

Edited by The Hawks Simp

On 2021-06-06 at 4:27 AM, Starforce Glimmer said:

I never did. The idea of calling people by their last names was always strange for me. I don't get why doing that is so formal. 

It's acknowledging the family... Very respectable...unless that person hates that family....

• Brohoof 1