Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Unless it's a formal situation or I'm talking to a professor, no. I just find it weird. I remember in high school chem my teacher called everyone by their last names, and the first time he tried to get my attention he had to say it like three times because I was so unused to hearing it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we're talking about only using the last name, no titles like Dr., Mr., etc., then there's only one person I refer to that way. A friend I made in college and still talk to regularly. If we include

Nope. But way back when I was 5 or 6 I used to have an embarrassing habit of calling people by the entirety of their full name, because that's how I believed referring to someone worked.

Does calling @Totally Lyra "Lyra" count? 

Only formally, like teachers or a boss (most of the time they liked using their first). As for me everybody calls me by my first name because no one can pronounce it.

Edited by Muffinnz

Back in high school, I had to address teachers by their last name (and their title), otherwise it's considered disrespectful.

Edited by RaraLover
Edited post to be more descriptive, and fixed grammar issues.
  • Brohoof 3

Nope. But way back when I was 5 or 6 I used to have an embarrassing habit of calling people by the entirety of their full name, because that's how I believed referring to someone worked. :ButtercupLaugh:

Edited by Treeglow Flicker
  • Brohoof 3

If we're talking about only using the last name, no titles like Dr., Mr., etc., then there's only one person I refer to that way. A friend I made in college and still talk to regularly. If we include titles, then there's a few, like my company's owner.

Oh, and of course @Mr. Horse! :yay:

• Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1
  • Smile 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:32 AM, RaraLover said:

Back in high school, I have to address teachers by their last name, otherwise it's considered disrespectful.

I know a few school staff who I refer to their first name which seems fine to them. 

I wonder when I get to be adult and never going to school anymore, I could still refer to my former teachers by their last name.

• Brohoof 2

Mine was a nickname for me at my old job by my friends who just really liked my last name. Normally it’s people who arent well liked that get referred to by their last name. Around here it is anyway. If somebody around here  is using your last name to speak of you most the time it’s out of disrespect. 

• Brohoof 1