Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

Right because in the 3 years the brony fandom has existed the amount of hatred has gone down. I don't know where you've been, but in year one there wasn't really anyone trying to troll bronies besides 4chan. Now Howard Stern does it, Smosh does it, Fox News does it, tons of people on dA, even other bronies.

I somehow doubt Howard Stern, Fox News, or Smosh are the standards by which we should base anything on.

As for the study, it was a study of behavior in general.  One part of it concluded that people exhibit certain behavioral patterns because they see others exhibit said patterns (often, people with low self-esteem).  So 'haters' often attack bronies because they see other people doing it.

being shove into my face

This is the one that makes me laugh though. Its okay to plaster your favorite sports team, car, truck, or some other "manly" thing all over the place. But do it for something like MLP and its suddenly "shoved" in someones face.

The only time this is disliked TMK is when someone already has a problem with it. They aren't as cool with it as they pretend. They could be walking around in a sports jersey for their favorite player and spot a person wearing an MLP shirt and still somehow now feel that it was just "shoved" into their face that that person likes MLP. Now they have hatred for this "brony" for doing that. These are often the same people that'll also go about Facebook plastering half nude images all over (usually things taken from other sites/FB pages), and feel fine. But a person posts a pony... no way! that did NOT just happen!

One person described it as having the pony avatars... Who doesn't use an avatar for something they enjoy/like? They also mentioned the forum signatures... I asked again, who doesn't for something they enjoy?! And another that involved memes using ponies in place of something else... One more, WHO DOESN'T for something they enjoy?!

No ones "shoving" anything in anyones face when it boils down. Unless they're being a deliberate troll, than usually its just a typical fan thing. Especially in the "geek" culture, to utilize things based around shows/books/games you enjoy. But even "normal" people do it, again, with the above sports/trucks/cars/sexual imagery that they prefer.

The reality of the matter here IMO is they just don't feel comfortable enough with the concept, or themselves, so they're making up excuses to explain something they can't really get a bead on.

They know they dislike it, but they don't know why, and they don't know why because they have a pre-programmed bias against such things as it doesn't fit into the "norm" that they're used too.

Its not that they actually have disdain, its that they just feel weird, and they don't like that feeling.

• Brohoof 2

Its okay to plaster your favorite sports team, car, truck, or some other "manly" thing all over the place.

I consider that annoying too. If you're in my face about your interests, it's annoying.

I somehow doubt Howard Stern, Fox News, or Smosh are the standards by which we should base anything on.

The fact that bronies are getting trolled on such a large scale says something though, that the hate is not shrinking, and if your logic was correct, this sort of contradicts it.

As for the study, it was a study of behavior in general.

I have asked you 4 times now: Where is this study. Please provide a source.

One part of it concluded that people exhibit certain behavioral patterns because they see others exhibit said patterns

That is completely different than what you were saying before. Before you were saying they did it because they actually secretly enjoyed it. Which is it?

backpedaling.gif

I consider that annoying too. If you're in my face about your interests, it's annoying.  

But is it in your face, or is someone just expressing themselves through their interests and in a way they they are comfortable in doing so?

Its not about being in anyone's face, its about expressing yourself in ways you find easiest to associate with.

Everyone does it, no one is exempt from this, and no one can claim to be. Not unless they use the strictest droll manner to express themselves all the time. 

For someone who doesn't share the interest it can be annoying, I agree. But its no reason to get in a fluff and become an ass over.

If you don't like that persons way of expressing themselves, then you needn't bother knowing them. Because those interests are part of them, and that is simply that.

Now when its the previously mentioned group going around singing songs publicly... thats the troll factor. Those are people deliberately trying to gain attention and make fools of themselves and others.

But the truth is, again, this can also be seen from college/high school students and sports team fans. But then its just considered "school/team pride"

Edited by GrimCW

But is it in your face, or is someone just expressing themselves through their interests and in a way they they are comfortable in doing so?

There's a difference between wearing a brony shirt in public and bringing up ponies even when people say they aren't interested. I have no problem with people being public about their interests, but bronies have a tendency to not back off when people tell them they aren't interested. I become an "ass" when I tell someone I'm not interested several times and they keep bringing it up. This is quite the norm for bronies.

Know how I first watched the show? My ex girlfriend who was a brony nagged me several times again and again and again. She nagged me for 2 weeks straight, then got her brony friends to nag me until I finally watched it to shut her up.

That is when it gets annoying. You are forced into watching it to get people to shut the hell up and leave you alone about it. And please do not use the argument of "oh but you ended up liking it", because truth be told it took 3 tries before I found it to be alright, and just because I ended up enjoying the show (not becoming a brony mind you) doesn't mean it wasn't really fucking annoying. I could have just as easily hated the show and had to listen to more annoying bitching that I didn't like it.

This is quite a common occurrence for many people who do not like the show.

Bronies keep asking for "tolerance" but what they really want is "acceptance", The difference being they don't want people to just put up with them, they want people to accept them, which they are not required to do.

In the words of Mr. Garrison: You can put up with something, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't piss you off.

Edited by Guest

a tendency to not back off when ponies tell them they aren't interested.

This is quite the norm for bronies.

Its also the norm for everything I previously mentioned. Sexual postings online, sports commentary, vehicle preferences,  school preferences, etc...

The only reason it seems more profound is because we see it from within. If we were actually on the outside looking in, and not going out of our way to find it, we'd barely know it was happening, if even have heard the term "brony" except in passing online.

But because we know what we're seeing, what we're hearing, and what we're expecting, we know of it.

majority of the world is in total darkness to this whole "brony" thing outside of what has been on the news or in small within local area's or personal acquaintances.  For the very few that are aware and have taken issue, they number in such a tiny number that most college football teams have more "haters". 

(not becoming a brony mind you)

This is a matter of opinion sadly.

I wouldn't call myself a "brony" either. but regardless, to others if your a fan, your a brony.

May as well just accept that fate.

There's a difference between wearing a brony shirt in public and bringing up ponies even when people say they aren't interested. I have no problem with people being public about their interests, but bronies have a tendency to not back off when people tell them they aren't interested. I become an "ass" when I tell someone I'm not interested several times and they keep bringing it up. This is quite the norm for bronies.

Know how I first watched the show? My ex girlfriend who was a brony nagged me several times again and again and again. She nagged me for 2 weeks straight, then got her brony friends to nag me until I finally watched it to shut her up.

That is when it gets annoying. You are forced into watching it to get people to shut the hell up and leave you alone about it. And please do not use the argument of "oh but you ended up liking it", because truth be told it took 3 tries before I found it to be alright, and just because I ended up enjoying the show (not becoming a brony mind you) doesn't mean it wasn't really fucking annoying. I could have just as easily hated the show and had to listen to more annoying bitching that I didn't like it.

Bronies keep asking for "tolerance" but what they really want is "acceptance", The difference being they don't want people to just put up with them, they want people to accept them, which they are not required to do.

In the words of Mr. Garrison: You can put up with something, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't piss you off.

This explains alot more about your recent posts on this thread than you likely meant to.

You mentioned that seeing or personally experiencing something isn't proof about anything, yet you are basing what bronies do on your own personal experiences.  Isn't that kind of a double standard?

I'm not going to sugarcoat it.  There are problem bronies.  There are problem members of any fandom you can think of.  But I can very safely say that just like the hardcore haters, they are a minority.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Its also the norm for everything I previously mentioned. Sexual postings online, sports commentary, vehicle preferences,  school preferences, etc...

And it's equally annoying then too, so what's your point?

I wouldn't call myself a "brony" either. but regardless, to others if your a fan, your a brony. May as well just accept that fate.

So because some people are ignorant and want to stick you with a label that means you should conform and just accept it? No. That is the mentality which has pissed people off about bronies from the start. People are avoiding liking something because bronies will swoop in, stick a label on them, and try to bring them into the "herd" when they may not want that. They are forcing conformity and it's stupid. You can lay down and take it, but I won't. I will never call myself a brony, nor will I let others. If people call me one, I will always correct them, because it's my choice if I want to be one or not, and for a community that claims it's very "loving" this is quite aggressive. 

You mentioned that seeing or personally experiencing something isn't proof about anything, yet you are basing what bronies do on your own personal experiences.  Isn't that kind of a double standard?

I was giving an example. In this case I was showing that this does happen, and I was not saying that a "majority" of people go through this, but many do. Even if it only happens to 100 people, it's still fucking annoying. There are many other ways that people experience annoyance towards bronies, I am not using my personal experience alone to prove anything.

But I can very safely say that just like the hardcore haters, they are a minority.

Safely implies you have evidence.

Where is that study by the way? Ignoring me will not make me forget. I have asked you 4 times, clearly this study does not exist or there is something about it that you know will be brought up to verify it's utter BS.

Missed this one before, but FYI this... is NOT a common occurrence at all.. In fact your the first person I've ever seen that has claimed this. 

All I've ever heard was complaints about clothing, talk, and pictures online...

Worst about watching would be the tag lines "You've never seen it, you wouldn't understand" or "If you saw it you might like it"

Forcing someone to watch the show is hardly even possible unless you have some way to control them. No one can be forced into it, thats purely a choice you made.

That is the point. Its all the same, "bronies" are no worse.

So because some people are ignorant and want to stick you with a label that means you should conform and just accept it? No. That is the mentality which has pissedpeople off about bronies from the start

No, YOU don't have to accept it, but OTHERS will use it.

This doesn't matter on personal preference level, and refuting it when brought up will only make you more bitter.

OTHERS give you labels, not you.

You do not choose what your considered, others will choose it for you and apply what they deem as the label best fitting your person.

In this small instance being a fan, even in the slightest, automatically will make you a "brony" in the eyes of others. If you wish to fight them, then feel free, but you won't win.

Edited by GrimCW

So because some people are ignorant and want to stick you with a label that means you should conform and just accept it? No. That is the mentality which has pissed people off about bronies from the start. People are avoiding liking something because bronies will swoop in, stick a label on them, and try to bring them into the "herd" when they may not want that. They are forcing conformity and it's stupid. You can lay down and take it, but I won't. I will never call myself a brony, nor will I let others. If people call me one, I will always correct them, because it's my choice if I want to be one or not, and for a community that claims it's very "loving" this is quite aggressive. 

Honestly, the reason people will call you a brony on this forum, is because this IS a brony forum.  That's its tagline, for crying out loud (it flat out tells you when you come here).  So therefore, if you're on this forum, that must mean you are a brony (at least, that is the mindset here).

And that's ok.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It doesn't change who you are.  All it is, is a word used to describe someone in the fanbase.  It's like calling someone who plays video games a gamer.  It's really no big deal.

I think you need to take a break, because it's obvious that you're overreacting to something that's not nearly as much of an epidemic as you seem to think it is.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

All I've ever heard was complaints about clothing, talk, and pictures online...

IDK where you frequent, but that's not the complaints I hear.

Forcing someone to watch the show is hardly even possible unless you have some way to control them. No one can be forced into it, thats purely a choice you made.

Forced no, but certainly pestered. I think it's safe to say no one likes being pestered.

That is the point. Its all the same, "bronies" are no worse.

It's a matter of degree. I don't see sports fans going and putting footballs into Doctor Who pictures or becoming the most searched thing on R34. It's a matter of degree.

This doesn't matter on personal preference level, and refuting it when brought up will only make you more bitter.

No it will not. It'll make me disassociated which is what I want.

OTHERS give you labels, not you.

Yeah, and that same logic is applied to the word "fag", does that make it right? No.

You do not choose what your considered,

That is complete nonsense. Others can choose what they think I am, but only I can choose what I am. I know what I am better than anyone else. That is broken logic that creates a world where you are whatever I deem you to be.

In this small instance being a fan, even in the slightest, automatically will make you a "brony" in the eyes of others.

Good for them, they're stupid and I do not take orders from the stupid.

If you wish to fight them, then feel free, but you won't win.

I've already won, anyone who matters and has a brain will understand that when I say I'm not a brony, I mean that I am not a brony. I am not going to try and educate those who can not grasp the idea that they do not get to decide what other people are. 

Honestly, the reason people will call you a brony on this forum, is because this IS a brony forum.  That's its tagline, for crying out loud (it flat out tells you when you come here).  So therefore, if you're on this forum, that must mean you are a brony (at least, that is the mindset here).

Or I am a casual person with a casual hobby who wishes to discuss it with others.

It's like calling someone who plays video games a gamer.

Yet most gamers do not use the word to describe people who play games, but have a bit more restrictive requirements on it.

I think you need to take a break, because it's obvious that you're overreacting to something that's not nearly as much of an epidemic as you seem to think it is.

As I said before, I love debating. I am perfectly calm, I know it does not appear so, but I'm pretty chill right now. Also telling someone to calm down is kind of a cop-out, it's trying to act like I need to leave when I'm perfectly fine.

Also I am still waiting on that study, how long are you going to ignore that? 

Yeah, and that same logic is applied to the word "fag", does that make it right? No.

Nope, but it still happens, and always will. Getting in a huff only makes you suffer, not the people saying it.

I don't see sports fans going and putting footballs into Doctor Who pictures

say what now?

http://www.spiritofthestairwell.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Footy.jpg

they didn't just get the ball, they got a team!

No it will not. It'll make me disassociated which is what I want.

keep telling yourself that mate, it may one day become true.

That is complete nonsense. Others can choose what they think I am, but only I can choose what I am.

true, but that doesn't change what others consider you to be now does it?

I've already won

If this were so, you wouldn't be still on about it, let alone breaking it into pieces and answering each individual piece as if it mattered.  You aren't going to get others to decide differently.

Edited by GrimCW

Nope, but it still happens, and always will. Getting in a huff only makes you suffer, not the people saying it.

And doing nothing is how entire groups of people have been discriminated against. :I

You are taking my words too literally. You know what I mean, I am talking DEGREE. It's not nearly as rampant.

keep telling yourself that mate, it may one day become true.

It's already true. You're the one who has deluded themselves into thinking you need to accept something simply because people will do it anyways. You are literally telling me to accept something because other people say it enough, then acting like I am crazy for not doing so?

true, but that doesn't change what others consider you to be now does it?

And they would be wrong.

If this were so, you wouldn't be still on about it, let alone breaking it into pieces and answering each individual piece as if it mattered. 

I have won my personal victory. I have broken free of conformity and I have declared that I will not let others tell me who or what I am. I am merely onto my next victory to share my good fortune with others. 

@Mist

Why would football be the most searched thing on r34? We don't put football and doctor who together cause it wouldn't really work, what we do do is shout at other football fans. What bronies do is put loads of pics and fanfics up, I'm not saying that people should have to find ponies wherever they go but how's it our fault we have so much fan made content.

@Mist

Why would football be the most searched thing on r34? We don't put football and doctor who together cause it wouldn't really work, what we do do is shout at other football fans. What bronies do is put loads of pics and fanfics up, I'm not saying that people should have to find ponies wherever they go but how's it our fault we have so much fan made content.

Please read a lot of my earlier posts, I answered these questions over the past few pages, and I really do not feel like typing them up again.

@@GrimCW, Your thoughts on the matter are different than mine clearly. We're not going to budge on this, so why not agree to a stalemate here? Neither of us is going to be able to prove the other one wrong unless like the word "brony" is optioned to the Webster dictionary and they make a ruling on it.

Edited by Guest

And doing nothing is how entire groups of people have been discriminated against.

No ones being descriminated, and usually those groups either embrace, or accept. Then move on and try to stigmatize the old term.

You are taking my words too literally. You know what I mean, I am talking DEGREE. It's not nearly as rampant.

Doesn't need to be, the matter of degree is only more prominent because we're within looking out.

A baker will see more bread than a butcher, but that doesn't mean that meat doesn't exist.

It's already true.

Again, keep saying this. One day.. one day....

And they would be wrong.

yes, but do you honestly think that will change their minds?

I have won my personal victory. I have broken free of conformity

Excuse me while I go laugh at this one a moment....................................... Okay done. This.. this actually explains a LOT... just the use of that term and phrase...  really?!

No ones being descriminated, and usually those groups either embrace, or accept. Then move on and try to stigmatize the old term.

So accept hateful terms instead of telling people it's wrong to use them...? Victim blaming. Gotcha.

Doesn't need to be, the matter of degree is only more prominent because we're within looking out.

I'm pretty sure if I was a football fan and didn't like MLP and I looked at R34, the site would still say the third most submitted image category is MLP...

yes, but do you honestly think that will change their minds?

Not if everyone thinks like you in that we all have to just blindly accept whatever terms are used to describe us and not stand up for ourselves.

Excuse me while I go laugh at this one a moment

There is no need for this kind of rudeness. If you wish to debate, then debate. And yes, really. I am not going to conform just because you say I should. I am not going to conform just because I am told to. I will conform when I feel it's right for me, and when I want to. You are more or less telling me I need to be bullied into conforming because other people are going to call me something I am not, so instead of saying I am not, I should just say I am.

You're telling me I must either conform or stop liking a show. Not even Star Trek fans force everyone to be a trekkie.

This is absolutely ridiculous, if you want to go on ignorantly believing this, be my guest, but not me. I decide my own fate, not a bunch of people who do not know me.

So much for "love and tolerance" can't even tolerate someone not wanting to be one of you. I have seen by far some of the dumbest arguments here as to why people hate bronies, but a majority if not nearly all of them place blame on everyone except bronies. 

So much for "love and tolerance" can't even tolerate someone not wanting to be one of you. I have seen by far some of the dumbest arguments here as to why people hate bronies, but a majority if not nearly all of them place blame on everyone except bronies. 

Maybe that's cause the vast majority of us are just people who like the show and don't do anything to piss other people off, so when we're unnecessarily harassed and attacked because of being a brony, it clearly is someone else's fault?

Or maybe it's because there are very obvious examples of harassment that is clearly the fault of the person doing the harassing?

Or maybe it's because as a community, we grow increasingly upset with harassment and, oh I don't know, people coming into our safe havens where we join only so that we can talk to other bronies in a safe environment, and then 5 minutes after joining we find out that community has people like you in it who are clearly here only for the purpose of insulting bronies at every single chance you get, and making us feel as horrible about ourselves as humanly possible just for the sake of gaining some sort of personal triumph and feeling that you won an argument?
  • Brohoof 1

@,

No ones saying "conform" to anything, but rather to accept that others will brand names on people, including you. Its not conforming to their names, nor their notions of what the names imply.

Saying to conform would mean you accept not only the title, but the misguided actions that are being branded upon the group as a whole. There is no set standard, there is nothing to "conform" too though.

The fact you have to compare it to conformity actually makes it worse as there's another stigma with those that whine about "conformists" and "Sheeple", and claim they don't conform to anything. Which just means you "conformed"  with a whole other group instead.

There is no such thing as the mystical "non-conformist". Because everyone fits in somewhere. While we are individuals, we all carry similarities to others, and as such we fit in with those others like us.

So much for "love and tolerance"

Speaking of the lies spread about, this is one of them.

The show speaks of FRIENDSHIP, and what a friend really is and should be. It does NOT however push "love and tolerance" for all. If it did, the show wouldn't be very interesting at all, as every villain would need to be reformed fully. And even Discord was not truly reformed.

In fact, fluttershy even threatened to disavow him as a friend at one point..

Edited by GrimCW

So much for "love and tolerance" can't even tolerate someone not wanting to be one of you. I have seen by far some of the dumbest arguments here as to why people hate bronies, but a majority if not nearly all of them place blame on everyone except bronies.

You're on a site for bronies, a site for people that are fans of FiM.  We might try to explain why haters hate FiM.  But of course we're not just going to blame our own fandom for the fact that people are going out of their way to attack us on our own site, any more than Nintendo or Sega fans would blame their own fandom for people that attack them on their sites.  So I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting here.

In fact, fluttershy even threatened to disavow him as a friend at one point..

Wow, I completely forgot about that.

Edited by SBaby

Maybe that's cause the vast majority of us are just people who like the show and don't do anything to piss other people off, so when we're unnecessarily harassed and attacked because of being a brony, it clearly is someone else's fault?

Right here, right now. Look at this thread.

I am saying I don't want to be called a brony, people are telling me I have to be a brony. I have no choice. Is that not doing something to piss someone off?

who are clearly here only for the purpose of insulting bronies at every single chance you get,

That's an assumption and it's rude. So if your plan to get someone to stop insulting you is to insult them, good plan.

and making us feel as horrible about ourselves as humanly possible just for the sake of gaining some sort of personal triumph and feeling that you won an argument?

What?

Just... What?

No. I do not want to be called a brony. I am not a brony. When you try to force me to be one, I am going to tell you to stop, because I do not want to be one. The whole point of this thread is bronies asking why people hate bronies. I am merely answering those questions to the best of my ability and offering solutions.

And once again as I have suggested many times, the best possible solution: ignore the hatred because trying to stop it is going to take more work than you're prepared to do. If you want to stop the hatred do the work, if not, stop complaining.

people are telling me I have to be a brony.

No one said you HAVE to be anything, just that you need to accept people will call you something whether you like it or not.

ignore the hatred because trying to stop it is going to take more work than you're prepared to do. If you want to stop the hatred do the work, if not, stop complaining.

yeah that speaks for itself..

I could freaking care less if you want to be called a brony.  The fact of the matter is that every single post you make in every thread seems to be either insulting bronies, blaming bronies for something, or arguing with people.

If you don't want to get wet, you probably shouldn't go swimming.  If you hate everything about bronies, you probably shouldn't be on a forum for bronies.

I'm just getting frustrated with every thread I participate in no matter how trivial being turned into some moral debate about how bronies are terrible.

• Brohoof 2

No ones saying "conform" to anything, but rather to accept that others will brand names on people, including you.

Errr... That's conforming. Accepting it means you're conforming. I do not have to accept that, because if I don't want a title, you can be damn sure I will say so. I am not going to let anyone stick any title they feel like on me, because how is that right? Do I accept that people are assholes? Yes. But that doesn't mean I have to put up with them behaving like assholes, nor will I.

Which just means you "conformed"  with a whole other group instead.

I didn't do anything of the such.

There is no such thing as the mystical "non-conformist".

Did I call myself one? No.

You're on a site for bronies, a site for people that are fans of FiM.  Of course we're not just going to blame our own fandom for the fact that people are going out of their way to attack us on our own site, any more than Nintendo or Sega fans would blame their own fandom for people that attack them on their sites.  So I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting here.

I am sorry SBaby, but until you provide that study I am ignoring everything you say. You can't just openly ignore being called on your bullshit like that and expect someone not to notice. You claimed there was a study and you have been asked for it several times only to ignore it.

And once again as I have suggested many times, the best possible solution: ignore the hatred because trying to stop it is going to take more work than you're prepared to do. If you want to stop the hatred do the work, if not, stop complaining.

Well, nobody's really complaining about anything.  We're just trying to give reasons for why haters might hate FiM, since that's what this topic is about.  

If you don't want to be called a brony, don't call yourself a brony.  You don't have to take what others say about you so seriously.  You know, you should follow your own advice every once in awhile.

I am sorry SBaby, but until you provide that study I am ignoring everything you say. You can't just openly ignore being called on your bullshit like that and expect someone not to notice. You claimed there was a study and you have been asked for it several times only to ignore it.

Ok, fine.  But again, there is no need to flame me, especially when I've already told you exactly what the study was.

Edited by SBaby