Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

I could freaking care less if you want to be called a brony.  The fact of the matter is that every single post you make in every thread seems to be either insulting bronies, blaming bronies for something,

Have you considered for even a second that if bronies actually took responsibility for some of the shit they do instead of saying the entire problem is other people? I am not saying bronies are the whole problem, but damn it, you have to accept responsibility for your share. If you keep denying it, you can't overcome it.

or arguing with people.

Most of the threads I take part in are discussions or debates.

If you don't want to get wet, you probably shouldn't go swimming.  If you hate everything about bronies, you probably shouldn't be on a forum for bronies.

Where did I say this? Please find where I said I hate "everything about bronies".

I'm just getting frustrated with every thread I participate in no matter how trivial being turned into some moral debate about how bronies are terrible.

I'm not following you around. 

You don't have to take what others say about you so seriously.  You know, you should follow your own advice every once in awhile.

As I said before, I take debate as fun. Like I said before, catch me outside of here I'll probably buy you a beer. I separate debate from casual conversation quite well. When I walk away from here today, I will hold no ill will towards anyone.

Also, the study. Where is it? It doesn't exist does it?

Ok, fine.  But again, there is no need to flame me, especially when I've already told you exactly what the study was.

But you have not provided it. See if you are arguing your own side, you can't expect me to take your word for it unless you let me see it for myself. That's how a debate works, hunny. ;) 

Accepting it means you're conforming.

*buzzer sounds* WRONG! 

Conforming means you accept the title yourself and follow its beliefs and actions as described.

Accepting that others will call you the title regardless just means your willing to let them believe what they will and move on with your own life as you see fit.

May want to check the definition of conformity. 

I didn't do anything of the such.

Actually you did, the "non-Conformists" that always rant and ramble on about not conforming and actually need to justify themselves by using that term out of context  as if it makes a difference.

Or more commonly referred to as "Hipsters"

See what just happened there?

By "not conforming" you just conformed right into another group as per definition by OTHER people.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

It's a forum, everything is a discussion.  If I post something saying how is your weather where you live, it's a discussion.  That doesn't mean the people who post there want to be told how if you can't handle cold weather move and stop complaining about it.

And you didn't say that you hate everything about bronies.  What you have done is taken every opportunity to insult the brony commmunity.  On a brony forum.  Here's the thing... you might not want to be labeled a brony, but whether you like it or not this is a brony forum.  If you go to a catholic church, people are going to think you're catholic.  You don't get to go to a catholic church, yell at the priest about his beliefs and then complain because people keep thinking you're catholic.

And I never said you followed me around.  I'm not following you around either.  And yet we keep bumping into each other and getting into debates.

• Brohoof 2

Accepting that others will call you the title regardless just means your willing to let them believe what they will and move on with your own life as you see fit.

That means without correcting them. They can continue believing it, but I will correct them when they ask me. I apologize, my wording was poor.

Actually you did, the "non-Conformists" that always rant and ramble on about not conforming and actually need to justify themselves by using that term out of context  as if it makes a difference. Or more commonly referred to as "Hipsters"

Just because I said one instance of where I do not wish to conform does not make me anti-conformist. I said before, I will conform when I feel it is right for me.

It's a forum, everything is a discussion.  If I post something saying how is your weather where you live, it's a discussion.  That doesn't mean the people who post there want to be told how if you can't handle cold weather move and stop complaining about it.

I'm sorry? I wasn't aware I was upsetting you this much. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when people are angry on the internet because me when I actually get angry I just leave the computer and not reply. It's hard for me to remember that not everyone does that. I thought you were discussing because you wanted to come up with answers and solutions. Obviously there was a miscommunication. Apparently you felt I was seriously insulting you?

And you didn't say that you hate everything about bronies.  What you have done is taken every opportunity to insult the brony commmunity.

Not quite. Hate would imply that I have nothing but ill will. If I did that, I wouldn't even be trying to say anything here, I'll let them continue to be hated and not try to explain why. Explaining why might help them. If I hated them, why would I help them? It's a matter of you have to meet me halfway here. If bronies can't admit that part of the problem is them, then how do they hope to fix it?

If you go to a catholic church, people are going to think you're catholic.

I don't really go to a church to discuss my hobbies, but okay... :I

And yet we keep bumping into each other and getting into debates.

Well that's just exciting really. I enjoy it. Even if I do not agree with you, I have a good time discussing with you. 

But you have not provided it. See if you are arguing your own side, you can't expect me to take your word for it unless you let me see it for myself. That's how a debate works, hunny.  

Don't know what to tell you.  This isn't a debate.  It never was one.

We're just casually talking about haters and why they hate things.  Nothing more.

Edited by SBaby

Why does everything have to be a debate with you?  Why can't we just talk about things?    Is this the Debate Pit?  Uh, nope.  It's not.   Don't know what to tell you.  This isn't a debate.  It never was one.

Yet you tried to argue a point with me and now you are insisting on not proving the evidence to support your argument when you were called out on it. That's a cop-out if I ever saw one. It may be wise to throw in the towel at this point, my friend. It was entertaining, but I can clearly see you are not prepared to go any further.

I'm sorry? I wasn't aware I was upsetting you this much. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when people are angry on the internet because me when I actually get angry I just leave the computer and not reply. It's hard for me to remember that not everyone does that. I thought you were discussing because you wanted to come up with answers and solutions. Obviously there was a miscommunication. Apparently you felt I was seriously insulting you? 

Well considering the fact that I only got involved in the brony fandom after leaving a fandom which has been my home for a while, and through which I've met my girlfriend and my closest of best friends because I got tired of constantly arguing with people over every insignificant thing, yeah I don't enjoy arguing over every insignificant thing.  I'm a law school graduate.  My life is about disagreeing with people.  This is my hobby.  I don't want to argue here too.  The reason I don't leave is because I'm also passionate and won't let you sit and insult the community just because I don't feel like getting my hooves dirty.

Not quite. Hate would imply that I have nothing but ill will. If I did that, I wouldn't even be trying to say anything here, I'll let them continue to be hated and not try to explain why. Explaining why might help them. If I hated them, why would I help them? It's a matter of you have to meet me halfway here. If bronies can't admit that part of the problem is them, then how do they hope to fix it?

Go on an LGBT support forum, tell them that you don't hate them but you think you can help to fix them because they're broken, and see how well they take it.

I don't really go to a church to discuss my hobbies, but okay... :I

Okay so you take every sentence literally and don't look for any meaning.  I'll make note of that.

I think the main reason for them being disliked is because people dislike people who act different. It's something that is just in the human genes. You don't like a different tribe, and different tribes have different behaviors.

Well considering the fact that I only got involved in the brony fandom after leaving a fandom which has been my home for a while, and through which I've met my girlfriend and my closest of best friends because I got tired of constantly arguing with people over every insignificant thing, yeah I don't enjoy arguing over every insignificant thing.  I'm a law school graduate.  My life is about disagreeing with people.  This is my hobby.  I don't want to argue here too.  The reason I don't leave is because I'm also passionate and won't let you sit and insult the community just because I don't feel like getting my hooves dirty.

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. However it's kind of counter productive to argue to stop arguing. XP

Go on an LGBT support forum, tell them that you don't hate them but you think you can help to fix them because they're broken, and see how well they take it.

Not quite the same. Though I do personally feel there are things that the LGBT group could be doing better to support their cause, but that's a story for another day.

Okay so you take every sentence literally and don't look for any meaning.  I'll make note of that.

Now now now, don't be so sour about it. I am saying your comparison was bad. Church is not the same as hobby. If you are going to make a serious comparison, you need to compare things that are comparable. This site is called MLPforums, so it is a place where people brony or not discuss MLP. Church isn't really a "casual" thing. You go because you follow the religion or want to know about the religion. I don't go to church to casually discuss hobbies with people. It's not a good comparison. 

That means without correcting them. They can continue believing it, but I will correct them when they ask me.

And by correcting them you feed into the idea that bronies are arrogant asses. Just because you don't like the title doesn't mean they won't continue to apply it. And by openly fighting it as such your only giving them a flame to pour fuel on. In the end, the only one being burned is yourself.

As Simon put it with the Catholic church, your in a place that is dedicated to the brony fandom and in part the title. You will be given that title by association. The forum header is  after all

the #1 brony forum on the net

Just because I said one instance of where I do not wish to conform does not make me anti-conformist.

Doesn't really matter in the end, the constant use of that term is something heavily associated with another group, and not a well liked one at that. Even if only in part, you still conformed with their ideology.

@@Simon,

BTW Snowdrop FTW :)

Edited by GrimCW

And by correcting them you feed into the idea that bronies are arrogant asses. Just because you don't like the title doesn't mean they won't continue to apply it.

And any person who tries to force a title on me when I don't want it is being an ass.

And by openly fighting it as such your only giving them a flame to pour fuel on.

And by not fighting it, I am simply saying "sure stick this title on me when I do not want it."

In the end, the only one being burned is yourself.

Not really, this is the kind of stuff that makes bronies look bad, and as I explained is one of the reasons people don't like them, doing stuff like this. As they continue to try and do it and then go on about how progressive they are, people laugh and shake their heads. 

Doesn't really matter in the end, the constant use of that term is something heavily associated with another group, and not a well liked one at that. Even if only in part, you still conformed with their ideology.  

Ah so more forced labels then?

Also why are you taking this so hard? Am I bothering you? That is the impression I am getting. If you no longer wish to discuss this, we can cease, I suppose. 

Edited by Guest

Now now now, don't be so sour about it. I am saying your comparison was bad. Church is not the same as hobby. If you are going to make a serious comparison, you need to compare things that are comparable. This site is called MLPforums, so it is a place where people brony or not discuss MLP. Church isn't really a "casual" thing. You go because you follow the religion or want to know about the religion. I don't go to church to casually discuss hobbies with people. It's not a good comparison.  

I think I might have a concussion from the face-palm I just did. 

As GrimCW put it:

As Simon put it with the Catholic church, your in a place that is dedicated to the brony fandom and in part the title. You will be given that title by association. The forum header is  after all

That's the point of the example.  It has nothing to do with whether it's a hobby or not... point is this is a safe haven for bronies where bronies expect to be able to be themselves.  A Catholic Church is a safe haven for Catholics where Catholics expect to not be insulted in the same way.  You don't get to go into a safe haven for a group and insult that group and expect to be welcomed with open arms.

I'm not saying everybody here on the forum has to call themselves a brony.  I was reluctant to take on the title at first too.  But like it or not, this is a brony forum and at a very bare minimum, you shouldn't insult people for being bronies or try to fix them on a brony site.  Nobody here is going to take kindly to being fixed by you.

The Howard Stern incident was one of the most vile things that happened to this community, not because he insulted us, but because he invaded our safe haven: bronycon.  You're doing the same thing.  You're coming into a place that people go to freely be as much of a brony as they want, and making them feel bad for it.

BTW Snowdrop FTW  :)

I freaking love Snowdrop <3 <3
  • Brohoof 1

That's the point of the example.  It has nothing to do with whether it's a hobby or not... point is this is a safe haven for bronies where bronies expect to be able to be themselves.

I wasn't aware that one was not welcome if they were not a brony.

and expect to be welcomed with open arms.

I never expected that.

you shouldn't insult people for being bronies or try to fix them on a brony site.

I am not though. The topic is asking why are bronies hated, I am explaining why. I am following what the topic is asking. By the same logic of one shouldn't go to a "brony haven" and expect love for discerning opinion, you shouldn't walk into a thread called "Why Are Bronies Disliked?" and expect no form of criticism on bronies.

I am sorry you feel that way, but you shouldn't come to a thread with such a title and not expect criticism.

I don't have anything against you personally, and I would very much like to continue talking with you outside of this. We have significantly different views on the subject clearly, but I think it may be best to agree to disagree here and return to life outside this thread and such. What do you say? I've love to get to know the you outside of this thread. :)

Edited by Guest

And any person who tries to force a title on me when I don't want it is being an ass.

Agreed, but will they stop just because you refute it? No, they'll take that as your problem and continue to do it more simply because it does affect you.

And by not fighting it, I am simply saying "sure stick this title on me when I do not want it."

No, your letting them know you don't care what they think of you, and not letting them get under your skin. They'll drop it and move along, or grasp at straws until it does bother you.

Not really, this is the kind of stuff that makes bronies look bad, and as I explained is one of the reasons people don't like them, doing stuff like this. As they continue to try and do it and then go on about how progressive they are, people laugh and shake their heads. 

Earlier you were on about "love and tolerance" and now your saying that by being an active jerk about not wanting to be called something is a better idea, and somehow going to give a better image?

No, being in someone elses face about it is annoying. But so is being excessively defensive of it or against it. It also feeds the idea that your going to be easy prey and they will feast upon this.

As so more forced labels then?

Like it or not, this is life louie.

As I said before, you don't get to choose the labels, they are chosen for you.

Also why are you taking this so hard?

I should be actually asking this by now, you are on a hefty defense here over the very notion of being labeled after all.

Agreed, but will they stop just because you refute it? No, they'll take that as your problem and continue to do it more simply because it does affect you.

So they're going to if I do and if I don't? XD

What kind of argument is that? "People will do the wrong thing, but trying to stop them is pointless, so let them do the wrong thing and tolerate them doing the wrong thing."

No, your letting them know you don't care what they think of you, and not letting them get under your skin. They'll drop it and move along, or grasp at straws until it does bother you.

I think you misinterpret me. I tell them once. If they choose to continue believing it, they are ignorant and I do not acknowledge them. Really I am only mentioning it more here because it's a debate, and I like debate, and it is relevant to the debate.

Earlier you were on about "love and tolerance"

I think you misunderstood me. I never advocated that phrase, I was just saying for a community that utters it a lot, it sure doesn't follow it.

and now your saying that by being an active jerk about not wanting to be called something is a better idea, and somehow going to give a better image?

If someone calls you a moron and you tell them to stop, are you being a jerk? No. If someone calls you a label that you do not want, you start by politely telling them you do not associate yourself with that label. If they continue to do so, you tell them more stern. However you need to tell them that it is not right to force labels onto people, THAT is how you fix the problem. You tell bronies that if they want to be bronies, that's cool, but if someone doesn't want to be, they need to respect that. I don't think that's unreasonable, do you?

Like it or not, this is life louie. As I said before, you don't get to choose the labels, they are chosen for you.

And with the mentality of "this is how it always was and this is how it always will be" mankind will move at a snail's pace to progression.

I should be actually asking this by now, you are on a hefty defense here over the very notion of being labeled after all.

Actually no. I am pretty calm, I just enjoy the discussion. I am asking you this because I sent you a PM and a profile comment trying to be friendly and I noticed you left the PM convo without saying anything and you removed me from your friend's list. I get the impression you're taking this as a personal thing, and I find that kind of petty. It's just a debate man, just because we disagree does not mean we can't be friends, but that's how you're acting. I did not remove you, you removed me. Clearly you are the one taking this personal, I'm offering to agree to disagree and be friends about it.

What do you say? 

Missed this one before, but FYI this... is NOT a common occurrence at all.. In fact your the first person I've ever seen that has claimed this. 

All I've ever heard was complaints about clothing, talk, and pictures online...

Worst about watching would be the tag lines "You've never seen it, you wouldn't understand" or "If you saw it you might like it"

Forcing someone to watch the show is hardly even possible unless you have some way to control them. No one can be forced into it, thats purely a choice you made.

That is the point. Its all the same, "bronies" are no worse.

No, YOU don't have to accept it, but OTHERS will use it.

This doesn't matter on personal preference level, and refuting it when brought up will only make you more bitter.

OTHERS give you labels, not you.

You do not choose what your considered, others will choose it for you and apply what they deem as the label best fitting your person.

In this small instance being a fan, even in the slightest, automatically will make you a "brony" in the eyes of others. If you wish to fight them, then feel free, but you won't win.

I am sorry but you must understand how ridiculous that is, while I might be more ''excepting'' to the title, others may not. I have never considered the label ''brony'' as something that came with being a fan, you can like something and not consider yourself ''part'' of a community. I don't care if others choose to label you a brony for being a fan, that does NOT make it right to do so.

So they're going to if I do and if I don't?

Thats the gist of it.

And its not "wrong" its just annoying. Even if the label is incorrect, making it out to be some sort of crime is a fallacy 

If they choose to continue believing it, they are ignorant and I do not acknowledge them.

The way you've been claiming it was that you would correct them regardless and with aggression if need be because you personally despise the idea of the label.

I never advocated that phrase, I was just saying for a community that utters it a lot, it sure doesn't follow it.

Didn't you? by bringing it up as a concept you used it in defense of yourself and how others should hopefully follow it

No. If someone calls you a label that you do not want, you start by politely telling them you do not associate yourself with that label. If they continue to do so, you tell them more stern  However you need to tell them that it is not right to force labels onto people, THAT is how you fix the problem.

If you leave it at the politely then yes, you could work to fix it. If they continue and you become "stern" than you actually instigate further issues.

And with the mentality of "this is how it always was and this is how it always will be" mankind will move at a snail's pace to progression.

Only if you so choose to let it. Letting what is be, and moving toward the future aren't the same. What is simply is, what will become is yet to be seen. While the future is being created, trying to change the past is of no consequence.

I am asking you this because I sent you a PM and a profile comment trying to be friendly

Actually you tried to get me to secede from the conversation without finishing. A fine tactic, but hardly a functional one, as it would seem to continue.

I don't care if others choose to label you a brony for being a fan, that does NOT make it right to do so.

Nor have I claimed that it makes it right in any way shape or form.

Just have I said that ignoring others and allowing them to believe as they will is a far better tactic than trying to be over defensive.

While correction can be considered, doing so rudely will only make the label worse, and harder to shed.

Edited by GrimCW

The way you've been claiming it was that you would correct them regardless and with aggression if need be because you personally despise the idea of the label.

I can see how you could conclude that, but no. I apologize for the

Didn't you? by bringing it up as a concept you used it in defense of yourself and how others should hopefully follow it

I was pointing out the irony.

If you leave it at the politely then yes, you could work to fix it. If they continue and you become "stern" than you actually instigate further issues.

Being a pushover does not always solve the problem. It could go either way.

Only if you so choose to let it. Letting what is be, and moving toward the future aren't the same. What is simply is, what will become is yet to be seen. While the future is being created, trying to change the past is of no consequence.

That doesn't apply, I am trying to change the future. :P

Actually you tried to get me to secede from the conversation without finishing. A fine tactic, but hardly a functional one, as it would seem to continue.

http://puu.sh/6tRTm.png

Where? I was merely saying we can respect the fact that we disagree and need not hold ill will towards each other. :P

I was pointing out the irony.

as was I

Being a pushover does not always solve the problem. It could go either way.

True, but being a pushover and allowing others to believe as they will aren't entirely the same thing.

A pushover means you not only let them believe what they will, but giving it to them as well. This would entail you using their label as your own.

That doesn't apply, I am trying to change the future.

Then being so concerned for what is already there, won't help. Make a better name for MLP fans than "brony" and stand by it. But given your current works here and elsewhere, I would surmise instead it is more your style to instead assail what is, and care not for what will be.

Where?

in the PM and in a previous comment here 

Your thoughts on the matter are different than mine clearly. We're not going to budge on this, so why not agree to a stalemate here?

in the PM and in a previous comment here 

I just posted the PM, no where there did it say that, it was saying we could disagree but still be friends about it.

Once again: http://puu.sh/6tRTm.png

And I was merely offering to end on a positive note, since it does not look like either of are going to change the other's views on this matter. My offer is still on the table too. I am all for still being good chums regardless if we agree or disagree.

I just posted the PM

No, you posted the profile comment.

And not the first one either, but rather the second.

But AIRC though, we can't be level headed here.. so I dunno.. sounds iffy.

No, you posted the profile comment.

And not the first one either, but rather the second.

But AIRC though, we can't be level headed here.. so I dunno.. sounds iffy.

What? http://puu.sh/6tRTm.png This is the PM man. Read it.

@,

In short your premature victory claim earlier has proven itself rather.. exactly that.

I never claimed victory. Stalemate =/= Victory.

Honestly, I don't see why you're making such a big deal about this. We don't agree, so what? We can be chill about it.

I never claimed victory.

Perhaps not in the debate itself, but in the content of. 

I don't see why you're making such a big deal about this.

I'm not tbh. Just simply replying