Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

While I agree, they also claim not to be a fan, nor care for the show.

Nor you for making them, actually I did look up the implying one, hence the use back.

No, discussing the concept of best pony might however.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/75792-whats-the-big-fuss-over-best-pony/#entry1923357

Or......

http://mlpforums.com/topic/72596-kyy-sons-art-dump/#entry1817162

Nope, automatically done on this forum by a Chrome extension. Boredom and chrome extensions do not mix well. But I've found no reason to alter this.

If it were simply that, then why continue to return and reply?

And if it were less than someone has claimed, why bring the language of the known bane of the internet in reply rather than actually refute the comment?

Dude those threads are 4-5 months old, back then I actually somewhat kept up with this interest, now I'm just here, on the brink of being banned and having been revived once, having fun, posting my opinions freely, occasionally making art by request to get money or for favors, and also because of a few friends I have on here. Just because I'm not a brone doesn't mean I can't post freely.

============

I think the critique of a disillusioned former fan is perfect for this topic. The topic asks why people dislike most of the fanbase, and I feel that even if someone isn't involved in the fandom anymore, their experiences are actually really valid and can provide insight into why people get put off by the community.

Honestly, I believe we should welcome replies like this and take their criticisms for what they are. Obviously, she left the fandom for a reason, and this topic invited her to tell us why - which she did.

What's the problem here?

I'm not even religious but I going to make a fucking religion of you.

Edited by The Paris Swing Box

@, You want to know why nobody is welcoming your words of wisdom on why you left the community?  Because you aren't trying to do that.  You might want to pretend that you are trying to be helpful and caring, but you've done nothing but insult and correct people since your first post here.  You haven't shown anybody an interest in having a discussion about what drove you to left, it's just been about insulting people.

When someone comes onto a safe haven for bronies, tells them they don't like bronies, and then tells them all the reasons why they don't like bronies, that comes off as nothing but hateful and insulting.  And frankly most of us get more than enough of hateful and insulting comments outside the forum, and we really don't want to deal with that crap here.

This isn't a forum for bronies to meet ex-bronies and fix themselves.  It isn't a forum for fans and non-fans to connect and debate their differences.  It's a place for bronies to get together and have discussions with other bronies.  Since that's what this site was designed for, why on Earth would you expect anybody to feel that your hateful insulting posts have a place on this thread? 

• Brohoof 5

Dude those threads are 4-5 months old

So a recent change then, or one that never took place. This becomes questionable.

doesn't mean I can't post freely.

True enough, but being slanderous toward the show, and fans of it, while on a forum dedicated too it. These actions would point to the aforementioned, by another, reason for hanging around atop this.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 3

@, You want to know why nobody is welcoming your words of wisdom on why you left the community?  Because you aren't trying to do that.  You might want to pretend that you are trying to be helpful and caring, but you've done nothing but insult and correct people since your first post here.  You haven't shown anybody an interest in having a discussion about what drove you to left, it's just been about insulting people.

When someone comes onto a safe haven for bronies, tells them they don't like bronies, and then tells them all the reasons why they don't like bronies, that comes off as nothing but hateful and insulting.  And frankly most of us get more than enough of hateful and insulting comments outside the forum, and we really don't want to deal with that crap here.

This isn't a forum for bronies to meet ex-bronies and fix themselves.  It isn't a forum for fans and non-fans to connect and debate their differences.  It's a place for bronies to get together and have discussions with other bronies.  Since that's what this site was designed for, why on Earth would you expect anybody to feel that your hateful insulting posts have a place on this thread? 

>...since your first post here...

Okay I drew a comic depicting why people hate bronies.

Note, that I understand not all are like this, but a lot are, thus people assume.

img-2227985-1-vvwkVAI.jpg

====

^Speaking of. lol

My first post was actually relevant though. :u

>...tells them why they hate bronies, that comes off as insulting...

dude this thread is ASKING me why I 'hate' them.

>...this isn't a forum for bronies to meet ex-bronies and fix themselves...

this is probably the most arrogant thing I've seen.

wouldn't you WANT to fix the fandom so people stop disliking it?

Really?  So you think the best way to tell a person you think they should fix their hair is by drawing a cartoon of them with a big sign that says you're ugly as fuck?

Oh gee... I wonder why I thought you came off as insulting.  I could never figure it out.

Bottom line is drawing rude comics or telling us we're obnoxious doesn't help anything.  What are we supposed to do?

"Oh gee... I didn't realize people didn't like obnoxious... let me turn off my obnoxious button and be not obnoxious because that's how things work."

And besides that, like I said, this is an internal forum designed for internal discussions.  If the creator of this thread or the people reading it wanted the viewpoint of someone not in the fandom, it would have been posted on a place where they expected to find people outside the fandom.  But it was posted here because it was supposed to be a discussion among other people at why they think that people might harass them for being into a little girl's show.

• Brohoof 1

Speaking as an active fan of the show myself, I honestly don't feel this "hateful" or "insulting" tone from her that you're talking about.

Like, before this huge fiasco of an argument broke out, all she really said was that the fandom - collectively, not singling out any individuals - often fails to call out its problem members and has trouble admitting to problematic behavior, as well as hypocrisy. I never read into that, "I hate bronies as individual people" so much as "I dislike the organized group that is the MLP fandom." The two sentiments aren't the same, and I think fans being needlessly defensive about the fandom is one of the major reasons it does get a lot of flak.

Like I said, if you don't do the things someone's complaining about when they vent about the fandom, then that means they aren't mad at (or referring) to you. Keep being a good fan if you don't fit the description of their complaints. If you do? Some self-examination may be in order, but otherwise, don't assume all complaints about the fandom at large apply to you, especially if those complaints don't describe your actions.

wouldn't you WANT to fix the fandom so people stop disliking it?

Try going onto a Sonic fan site and telling them that, and see how long you last there.  Or try going onto a Pokemon fan site and telling them this.  You'll get the same results you're getting here.  You are calling out an entire fandom on their own site, where most of the fans who post there don't really bother others off the site anyway.

It seems to me like you're expecting to be able to call us out because of something that happened half a year ago, while we all lay down and just let you do it.  And anything else is not acceptable to you.

As it is, there is no way to make everyone stop disliking a fandom.  It is impossible to do, because there will always be people trying to get attention and there will always be people that want to look good in front of those people, so they echo them by doing the same thing.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I really dislike the fact that this fandom cannot admit to its excessive imaturity, obnoxious members, and excessively aggressive die-hards, but act like the people who are annoyed by them are the ones at fault.

How am I supposed to not be offended by things like this?

You can't just expect me to agree with the things that are said that are honest critiques and ignore the insults. There's a reason nobody really argued with her on the comic, even though I found it insulting... it's because as rude of a way of doing it, it did seem genuine.  But then she came on later, and decided, "hey that wasn't good enough... let's insult people."

And yet I'm supposed to roll over and let it happen because I can say to myself those labels don't fit?  Bull.  You don't get to insult a fandom on a forum for that fandom and have everybody thank you for the honest words of critique.

Actually I just joined this site yesterday and I was under the assumption, it being called MLPforum that it was about MLP, not just Brony's. I personally don't consider myself a Brony, I've liked MLP since 1983 and predate anything that came up in the last 3-4 years, and this is part of the reason I joined a forum titled MLPforums. I do understand that it consists and involves more of the FIM generation of MLP but there is other stuff here.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about brony's, I'm just saying there are sections on this forum for discussing other things besides Brony and just because you like MLP doesn't automatically make a person a Brony or a follower of everything in that section of the MLP fandom.

I like the cartoon and toy, I don't particularly follow any bands, artist or fanfic writers and I've never attended a convention centered around the FIM fandom only, I've been to meets and conventions for MLP that revolve around all MLP generation. I like everything MLP so for me if it just consisted of FIM stuff I wouldn't be fully satisfied.

This is just a perspective from someone who likes MLP but who doesn't consider herself a brony.

dude this thread is ASKING me why I 'hate' them.

No, it was asking others members of the community, within the fan base/fandom, why they feel that outsides have disdain for them.

If it were asking the opinion of those that were on the outside looking in, then this would've been posted elsewhere.

wouldn't you WANT to fix the fandom so ponies stop disliking it?

The catch 22 is, it doesn't need to be fixed.

It has its good people, and its bad people. Yes the bad stick out like a sore thumb, but every fan base has them. At least we haven't nearly caused the death of one of the voice actors for the show as other fan groups had done for actors within their favorite movie/show.

But that doesn't mean it needs to be fixed. Some people will hate us, and some people will love us. This won't change no matter how hard anyone tries on either front.

Again though, this goes for any fan group. Sonic fans get a lot of it, as do Twilight fans. We're just the hot topic at the moment, and as such the most spotted. It'll fade eventually just like everything.

Actually I just joined this site yesterday and I was under the assumption, it being called MLPforum that it was about MLP, not just Brony's.

Small note to be made though BTW, the site's header is

MLP Forums is the #1 brony forum on the net.

Not saying anything, just pointing this out :P

Edited by GrimCW

Paris, I'd like to point you have no room to criticize because you've refereed to /MLP/ as being better than these forums in a conversation with me. That's a relevant point because /MLP/, while I respect the good things they've done tend to be a shining example of the WORST in this fandom.

CW also makes a point about you sticking around. It's one thing for someone whose grown apart from it but doesn't dislike the show or fandom to stick around for the interaction, but it's another for someone whose grown hostile to stick around just to bitch.  

I'm fully aware of all the faults of this and other fandoms, but I don't let it bother me because I know people are only human and we all make mistakes and say things we regret.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

Really?  So you think the best way to tell a person you think they should fix their hair is by drawing a cartoon of them with a big sign that says you're ugly as fuck?

Oh gee... I wonder why I thought you came off as insulting.  I could never figure it out.

Bottom line is drawing rude comics or telling us we're obnoxious doesn't help anything.  What are we supposed to do?

"Oh gee... I didn't realize people didn't like obnoxious... let me turn off my obnoxious button and be not obnoxious because that's how things work."

And besides that, like I said, this is an internal forum designed for internal discussions.  If the creator of this thread or the people reading it wanted the viewpoint of someone not in the fandom, it would have been posted on a place where they expected to find people outside the fandom.  But it was posted here because it was supposed to be a discussion among other people at why they think that people might harass them for being into a little girl's show.

SrPVt91.png

I-uh, oh goodness how do I respond to this.

That comic is from a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I wish I was joking, bud. I really do. Also, if it's so >rude, tell me why 11 people liked it?

I'm not in the fandom, thus my opinion is the one intended, no?

The opinions from people part of the fandom relate to just being different and 'h8rs gon' h8', whilst mine actually is from both sides. :v

For me, any fan of MLP is a brony so that's how I use that term.  I have no issue with people being here and giving opinions that are fans of other generations or fans of the show that don't use that label.  That's fine, but you're still here for a reason.

Hanging around after you quit the fandom to insult people on the other hand is a whole different issue.

But yeah, I didn't mean to say you have to be a brony to be here... I'm just saying that you should be here to discuss MLP, not to try and change people or to insult people.

• Brohoof 1

Well seeing how bizzare my opinion can cause a whole site to explode into fury, I'll formally apologize about the entire flame war that came from my opinion, pack up my stuff, and leave this thread to its business.

Have fun everyone!

Edited by Aureity
edited out some vulgarity

That comic is from a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I wish I was joking, bud. I really do. Also, if it's so >rude, tell me why 11 people liked it?

11 people told me throwing that guy off a building looked totally awesome.  So why was his family so flipping upset?

Honestly when I first read it I thought it was a self-deprecating joke from a fan.  In that context it's sort of funny... but for an outsider to come on an MLP forum and draw pictures of why they hate everybody here, it's nothing but insulting.

• Brohoof 1

Speaking as an active fan of the show myself, I honestly don't feel this "hateful" or "insulting" tone from her that you're talking about.

Like, before this huge fiasco of an argument broke out, all she really said was that the fandom - collectively, not singling out any individuals - often fails to call out its problem members and has trouble admitting to problematic behavior, as well as hypocrisy. I never read into that, "I hate bronies as individual people" so much as "I dislike the organized group that is the MLP fandom." The two sentiments aren't the same, and I think fans being needlessly defensive about the fandom is one of the major reasons it does get a lot of flak.

Like I said, if you don't do the things someone's complaining about when they vent about the fandom, then that means they aren't mad at (or referring) to you. Keep being a good fan if you don't fit the description of their complaints. If you do? Some self-examination may be in order, but otherwise, don't assume all complaints about the fandom at large apply to you, especially if those complaints don't describe your actions.

The main issue I have is that people tend to call out irreverent things as being a bad fan and /MLP/ has developed this attitude that punishes even healthy and good-natured enthusiasm as being a fanbrat, there's also the people that act like so so much a pony reaction picture or drawing their favorite character as pony and posting it on THEIR OWN PERSONAL PAGES is obnoxious.   

• Brohoof 1

11 people told me throwing that guy off a building looked totally awesome.  So why was his family so flipping upset?

Honestly when I first read it I thought it was a self-deprecating joke from a fan.  In that context it's sort of funny... but for an outsider to come on an MLP forum and draw pictures of why they hate everybody here, it's nothing but insulting.

Please understand I've been on this site for 7 months.

I'm not in the fandom, thus my opinion is the one intended, no?

Given the OP themselves asked "Fellow Bronies" the question.. no

So what do you think about this, fellow bronies?

Does this mean you can't have a say? Also no. But it does mean it wasn't actually as openly welcomed as your making it out to be.

Edited by GrimCW

I'm pretty sure that by 'outsider', he's talking about someone who has openly admitted to not liking the fandom or caring about the show anymore.

But you know what, let's scale this back a bit.  Why exactly do you not like the fandom or show anymore?  And please don't show us another comic that could be taken as satirical in nature instead of an honest truth.  Just tell us.  And understand this question is purely academic.

Edited by SBaby

I get that.  On a forum for another fandom I was admin of, we had people stick around after they really left the fandom for a lot of reasons.  In most cases it was to keep talking to friends they had made in general discussion topics.  But the thing is, you're not on a thread trying to stay in touch with friends you made, you're insulting people and resorting to cheap name calling.  If it was any other site I wouldn't care one bit, but this is a safe haven for fans, and whether you've been here for a day or two years, if you hate the community, you should probably keep that fact to yourself on a forum that's designed for discussions with people who are in the fandom.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure that by 'outsider', he's talking about someone who has openly admitted to not liking the fandom or caring about the show anymore.

But you know what, let's scale this back a bit.  Why exactly do you not like the fandom or show anymore?  And please don't show us another comic that could be taken as satirical in nature instead of an honest truth.  Just tell us.

Got too lazy to continue keeping up with the show, lost interest, got annoyed by the brones, things lost their vivid attraction, I left the fandom. I'm still here because I have a few friends I speak to, and then some opinions and occasional art.

I get that.  On a forum for another fandom I was admin of, we had people stick around after they really left the fandom for a lot of reasons.  In most cases it was to keep talking to friends they had made in general discussion topics.  But the thing is, you're not on a thread trying to stay in touch with friends you made, you're insulting people and resorting to cheap name calling.  If it was any other site I wouldn't care one bit, but this is a safe haven for fans, and whether you've been here for a day or two years, if you hate the community, you should probably keep that fact to yourself on a forum that's designed for discussions with people who are in the fandom.

^

The threads title is "Why are Bronies disliked", now what I have seen is that when anybody tries to give a legitimate reason as to why people might hate the fandom people on this thread in particular bitch, moan, and complain that "Ohhh not everybody is like that". Look I know that not everybody is like that, but most of this god forsaken fandom is a hypocritcal, asspatting, circle jerk of a fandom, and if anything this thread is a good example of how bronies are.

Edited by Camping Delights
  • Brohoof 3

So, is everyone just going to discount all the awesome stuff we do and all the charities we've been a part of, as well was all of the bronies that serve in militaries fighting for their country, or all the people that have been saved from suicide and depression because of the bad seed?

From where I stand they's pretty damn cynical and pathetic and only one step above being a misanthrope(which is having that same philosophy about humanity as a whole) as BronyCurious(Tommy Oliver) said:

post-6903-0-00138700-1390428966_thumb.png    

• Brohoof 4

So, is everyone just going to discount all the awesome stuff we do and all the charities we've been a part of, as well was all of the bronies that serve in militaries fighting for their country, or all the people that have been saved from suicide and depression because of the bad seed?

Of course not. No one is discounting those things. The MLP fandom has tons of great people who do great things, and I've never denied that. But that's faulty reasoning, regarding this topic. It's kinda like saying, "C'mon, Doc! Quit nay-saying my health by calling my arm infected! Have you seen how well my legs work?" One part being fine doesn't mean we get to conveniently ignore the parts that are troubling.

Just because many parts of the fandom are good and productive doesn't mean that we need to ignore (and thereby do nothing to fix) the problems the fandom has.

Incidentally, Oliver is right about one thing in the quote you posted: If you want to be part of the solution, then be vocal about not being okay with the bad things some subsets of the fandom do. Be open and enthusiastic about the show, absolutely, but don't get swept up in "herd mentality" and forget to be your own person. You wanna make the fandom a better place? Great! Then you reject and denounce bad brony behavior while exemplifying positive behavior of your own. And you very well already might do that, but this post is really directed people generally, not just you.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 2