Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you EVER think you'd be a brony?

Artist-Sky

I became a Brony and I didn't even know it.

In other words, I got into the show before I know what a Brony was.

Around the time when I got through the entire first season I discovered the fandom and what it was.

Why did I watch the show to begin with?

Well, these were the thoughts running through my head at the time:

"What is this?"

"Why am I watching this?"

"Why don't I hate this?"

"Ugh this is weird... time to watch the next episode."

To be REALLY honest, I watched the show at first to mentally torture myself, thinking I wouldn't be able to handle it.

At first I dared myself to watch the first episode then I vowed to be done after that, but that very night I ended up watching 75% of the entire first season till 5:00 AM in morning.

I was at the time a complete closet Brony.

I did not tell anything to anyone.

I was afraid of what people would think of me.

After discovering the fandom I had realized there were other people just like me.

That month if broke out of my shell and was proud of who I was.

That was the very same month I got my "Fluttershy Yay" t-shirt!

• Brohoof 5

Never ever ever in my life did I think i would ever watch and like MLP. See, I like to draw a lot, and I have an account on deviantART. I saw pictures of ponies ALL THE TIME (still do though it doesn't bug me anymore), and I got so sick of see them. I couldn't help thinking of why do these people like a kid's show so much when they're adults. 

I also like to roleplay a lot and I do it mainly on gaiaonline. i was in a multi-world crossover rp, and someone brought in characters from the show that I'd never seen before. Discord was one of them I think. Now I hate not understanding about characters and their backstories that i've never heard of before and they suddenly end up in a multi-verse/crossover rp, so I wanted to get a better understanding of the characters. So, I started watching the show.

Somehow I found myself joining an an mlp crossover rp (it didn't last long) where characters from other games/shows/movies got changed into ponies. With characters I chose there were no pictures I liked so I ended up drawing my own, and i finished watching the mlp show.

Now I have my very first OC pony, and I'm a member of an awesome sight dedicated to ponies, and I'm a squeeing fangirl of certain shippings (my icon should give an idea of one of my favorites).

• Brohoof 2

Can't say that I ever expected it, but my interest grew after seeing some good fanart and interesting photo memes.

After watching the first episode, the rest is history.

• Brohoof 2

I like girly things and kid shows. So yes.

However I had never liked My Little Pony until I watched the first episodes of Friendship is Magic. :)

• Brohoof 2

I didn't expect myself to become a brony, though I did watch the Powerpuff Girls when I was little. Though when I first watched My Little Pony, I was surprised to see that I was impressed by the show. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I did not think I would become one however I was totally cool with it though but hey I did like the older gens myself so I could not complain anyway.

Edited by Everleaf
  • Brohoof 1

No. When I heard of them, I hadn't considered joining and I even felt negatively about them for a while. It was only months later than I decided to watch one to gain a superior opinion of it and then later, it all got started.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly? No. I never not eben in the last possible chance did I think I would become one, yet here I am. I started off as an extreme hater, and then I got bored one day, sat down and watched it. At first I was like, what am I doing? then I became a brony in denial and then finally after skimming over random episodes, magical mystery cure sealed the deal.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I kinda liked a lot of girly things during my childhood, (e.g. Powerpuff Girls, Totally Spies, etc) but never liked MLP. Heck, my bros would look away in disgust if they see an MLP commercial on TV... :o

I kind of didn't expect myself to be a brony, however.

And here's my story on how I joined the herd...

In this site that I regularly post called 'Simtropolis', long before I became a brony, I regularly chatted with members Ganaram Inukshuk (you maybe familiar with him here...), and MandelSoft (also has an account here, but got inactive for over a year.), and saw them posting some pony memes.

I then researched the show, and saw the Wikipedia entry for bronies. At first, I was like 'What the heck??!! Men liking My Little Pony??", but then thought "it's their choice to watch it".

However, I've tempted myself to watch at least a clip of the show. I searched for 'mlp' on youtube, and clicked on a video containing Fluttershy's famous 'yay'. And that actually made me giggle a bit...

Interested, I watched the first two episodes of the show, and got my jaw hanging on how a show based on a toy line intented for school-aged girls could pull off amazing animation, writing, acting, and all those stuff that compromises a good animated show.

Already into it, I watched the next few episodes, and officially became a brony.

I then realized my relatives and friends may thing I am 'baduy" (FIlipino for gay), so I never told of my bronyism to everyone else except to my parents. Don't worry about their reactions, they're open-minded ones... :P

And that's how Equestria was made! :P

Edited by Fillypino Pride
  • Brohoof 2

I actually began as a hater, so heck no. I never expected to become a brony at all. 

Glad to see I'm not alone in beginning as an anti-brony though.  :yay:

• Brohoof 3

Panderp: I didn't at first because as I kid (this was before Friendship is Magic) I didn't really appreciate it because I thought it was "for babies". Boy was I wrong. Not only do I love MLP Friendship is Magic, but it helped me appreciate some of the old My Little Pony. Not to mention a lot of friends it's given me. And the amazing stories and fanwork people make from it.

• Brohoof 1

When I heard about it and looked into it ... Yes I fully expected to be a Brony. My history with fandoms and cartoons and Lauren Faust shows was well established. I was also a huge supporter of Nerdfighteria which felt very similar to me in many ways.

Then I watched a few episodes and it didn't take. I was actually disappointed.

When I tried again earlier this year I expected the same result. Respectful indifference. Nope.

So to answer the question ... Yes and No ... And both expectations were wrong.

• Brohoof 1

To start it off. i also started with a hater. :o But in early september 2013 i stopped hating on them as i was becoming neutral and mid September i became a brony, But i had a friend who is a brony, but i only saw him for 1 time only. But around that time i said i will NEVER become a brony. but that was wrong.

• Brohoof 1

I was completely oblivious to the whole thing in 2012.... I saw a shirt in the mall with a friend and he told me about what bronies were and I was disgusted/shocked.... I came home searched up the whole ordeal for the laughs and watched an episode for the lulz and bam I became a fan surprisingly to me unto this day yep yep... 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I know the fandom from my high school friend who went missing after HS junior year. I scrolled FB often and suddenly, BOOM! pony pics on his timeline. At first I was like "umm wat?" but then again, I respect his interests.

Onward to January, asked my big bro for his netflix account, since he bought netflix for himself only. According to Netflix, one account is for up to 3 user, so I became the 2nd user. Browsed some random movies and TV show then MLP popped up. I was neutral-resist about the show, but then I remembered him, thus a thought that, IF someone who I thought was slightly man-lier than I am can love the show, then there MUST be something that appealed him.

Gave the show a try, watched 1-5. Stopped for a while, then while not watching the show, I felt an urge to continue the season. Oh well, some more eps will do. AND S1-3 finished in a month, found the love, found the fandom. Much happier now.

tl;dr I went from no.gif to bow.gif to love.gif

Edited by TheShyPony
  • Brohoof 2

Nope, I never hated or judged bronies but it was something I never thought I would ever get into. When my friend first told me he was into it, I thought he was joking I remember playing along waiting for the punchline but to my surprise there was no punchline. He is a fairly dark and cynical person so him being into ponies was a real melon scratcher for me, it took months of him talking to me about but I eventually watched it and here I am.

• Brohoof 1

Well when I first heard about the show and that guys in my middle school liked it I thought it was interesting but never gave it much thought. I never suspected I would join the herd a year or so later :lol:

• Brohoof 4

Saw a bunch of pony vids and gifs (mostly on a Minecraft forum I used to frequent), and thought it was a fad. Eventually, I saw the series premiere, and got hooked.

• Brohoof 2

No. Mainly because I didn't even know about bronies, or MLP for that matter until after season 3 ended. I never thought I'd be a fan of My Little Pony, no. But here I am, posting on a brony site at the current moment. 

• Brohoof 2

I thought at first the whole thing was a big joke and everyone watched it ironically, like coming together to laugh at the millions of plot holes inherent to a little kid's show about ponies. Then, wanting to get in on that, I decided to watch a few episodes, and loved it, and found out that people watched it seriously and not ironically.

• Brohoof 3