Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you EVER think you'd be a brony?

Artist-Sky

No I did not, I did not even know about the show until my friend introduced it to me.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I did. I liked the concept when I first heard about it in another forum, I thought it sounded kiddy. I was fine with girly. After all, I'm probably one of the least masculine non-"flaming gays" you're going to find, really.

The memes got me into it, really. I was looking forward to seeing them in the show. That's why I was initially a Dashie.

• Brohoof 1

LOL! Absolutely not! I don't really like anything else like it. COMPLETE accident (with Tara Strong to blame). Being 25, I haven't exactly been watching cartoons for while except at our cottage with my little cousins. However, around Christmas '13 I saw a parody of The Powerpuff Girls when channel flipping. Bubbles seemed to have the original voice. This made me look Tara up to see what she's been up to and I saw MY LITTLE PONY on a list. I couldn't believe they still made the show (I was a kid in the 90's with a sister who watched it) and my intention was to look it up just to laugh at how crappy it was. I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THE REMAKE OR WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO FALL INTO!

Somehow I missed the internet swarm so when I started looking up the show I was very confused by all the stuff out there. I was like WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?! IS THERE SOME BIG JOKE I JUST HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT?!  I finally found the first 2 episodes and thought they were OK- definitely better than the old show- but I still wasn't that interested. Then I saw the ticket master episode. It's character interactions and Fluttershy's "Buzzards that can really buzz" gag amused me more than I thought they should. THIS SET OFF MY WTF AM I DOING?!?! ALARM. :angry: I was like, "why am I even to watching this and why do I like it?!?!" :blink:

Well over the next month I looked into the background, origins, and behind the scenes of the show to find out what was going on with it. I also found out about the huge fan following. I really like Discord and thought it was hilarious that it was John De Lancie- WHO WAS IN F'N BREAKING BAD!!! :umad:

What I really like about the show is that it's well made by people who are very good at, and genuinely care about what they do. The fact that it's not about 5 year-olds having tea parties, or middle/high school B.S. and stupidity is a big factor too.

• Brohoof 3

No way, never in a million years would I have ever imagined myself watching such a cartoon, but because of it I have changed as a person for the better. And forever more I shall look back to the bonds I have made through the fandom and the friends I have made.

• Brohoof 1

I knew from the day I saw it that I would end up loving it. I hadn't previously heard of bronies but I'm a huge cartoon enthusiast so one more feather in the ol' yankee doodle dandy cap was goodstuff.

• Brohoof 1

No I didnt. I never had anything against bronies, but I thought the idea of watching a show for little girls was really odd, and something that I would never do.  Then I got really bored one day and somehow ended up watching the first episode... I ended up marathoning most of season 1 that day, and have been a brony ever since.

• Brohoof 1

I remember just because a friend of mine hated Minecraft, I told him I hated it too. A few years later I actually played it and loved it. Same thing goes for being a Brony never heard of it, but my brother was one hated him on it, then once I heard some music that got my attention I asked him about it and ended up liking it.

• Brohoof 1

No i did not i thought they were a bunch of losers and i always hated on them but now i see i was wrong and if i could take back some stuff i said i would. moral of the story dont judge a book by its cover because you may just like that book.

• Brohoof 1

no. Not at all...well...kinda.

Lemme explain. I was faimilar with the fandom, that it existed, and that a lot of people were enjoying it, and I avoided it because of that...

Mainly because of the same reason I didn't play mine craft. I knew that I'd probably like it, and it'd consume a lot of my life if I gave it a chance...so I ignored it for the first two seasons. My wife tried to get me to watch it, but I was still skeptical. Then, I saw the know your meme entry on the show and was kinda like, "eh...it looks pretty cool...the DJ pony seems pretty awesome! and there seems to be an EDM subfandom in there...but still, I should avoid it for the above reason." So I continued to ignore it...Then, I saw a let's play of Litronom's "The Small Horse" series and was like..."WOW! This is strangely amazing!" and so one night...I was like, "I know this is a big change here...if I watch this, I may see how deep the rabbit hole goes..." So I watched the first episode, and thought..."meh...it's alright...I still don't see that much of the attraction...but whatev." Next day I was bored, and watched the following episodes...which proceeded to me watching the next one, and the next one, and the next one...etc. etc. until I had seen all of season one in about one week! Needless to say, I was hooked...I even bought my first peice of brony merch...a Vinyl Scratch necklace from ebay! I still love that thing...I began watching through season two with my wife, and on through season 3...but when I had gotten to season 3, the whole twilicorn debate had already happened...and I hopped in on the debate on forums like here, and a few EDM forums...now look at me...I've got all the mane 6 beanie baby plushies, a bunch of figurines, a shirt, a poster, and ponified psp themes! What I feared would happen did indeed happen...but it made me happy...very happy. At that time, I was pretty overworked and depressed...and I had a different outlook on life...but watching the show made me feel, happier...and I couldn't ask for more than that! So yeah...that's my brony story.

TLDR Wasn't a brony, watched the show, became a brony...joined the herd...lived happily ever after.

• Brohoof 2

I saw some pony videos on youtube one time, and I watched one. I thought was interesting. I wouldn't say I didn't think I would ever be a brony, but I did keep an eye on FiM from when I first heard of it after season 2 until I gave the show a shot after Apple Family Reunion aired.

I remember when I first heard of FiM. I was watching youtube and I noticed this YTP maker Pissmyselflaffing(Who barely uploads anymore >_> ) liked This Day Aria. and I watched it, and then pony videos started showing up in my recommendations.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't really see myself getting into the series.  Despite my already having owned past-gen ponies and viewed / downloaded images related to FIM.  And I had...  Ulterior motives (lol) for watching it at first.  I was rather cynical about it initially; I thought most so-called "Bronies" were watching it for similarly ulterior reasons.  I don't necessarily think that's the case anymore, since I've discovered that it's a worthwhile show in general.  So now I watch it both because it's a worthwhile show AND so that I may adore Rainbow Dash. xD

P.S. I was never a "hater," though.  By the time FIM even came about, I was well beyond what I like to call a / my "high school mentality."  Looking back o'er years and years, current me thinks high school me was kind of a d-bag.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, I first heard of the word Brony via Mad Parody on Cartoon Network called My Little War Horse, where the Pinkie Pie Expy baked a cake that said, "Yay! Friends!"  Which was then smashed to say, "Bronies Rule!" MAD Parody!Pinkie responded with, "How's that possible?!" Then in August of 2012, I found this video of my favorite Internet celebrity, Doug Walker, best known as the character Nostalgia Critic.

Jump to 1:15 for the set-up

Jump to 3:50 to hear Doug's view of a Brony back then in Summer 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXT-HSenyE

It was because of that video, I had a basic idea of what a Brony is.

So to answer the original question, sure. Shortly after seeing that video for the 1st time back in August 2012, I did think I'd be a Brony. I just didn't realize it would have this big an impact on me.

Of course, for more info, check out my post on http://mlpforums.com/topic/118-how-and-when-did-you-become-a-brony/page-86

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

The thought never really crossed my mind. I just sort of went with the flow and continued watching it then I got addicted. Alot of my friends said they saw it coming when I told them I was one. Hahaha it was really funny to hear them say that.

• Brohoof 2

I am pretty sure that if most of us were approached in 2010 with line like "You will soon become a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and will join enormous  community full of grown up guys and girls who watch same show" then they would die of laughter xD After all previously MLP was known as overly girly and sweet TV show that would make You vomit with rainbow that nobody except little girls will ever even think to watch. Some people still don't accept fact that MLP: FiM broke this stereotype hard and introduced characters that are still adorable, sweet, cheerful, but at the same time have deeper personalities, flaws and story introduced in every episode carries a message that is equally important for kids and adults. It was almost impossible to even think about becoming a brony before this show appeared. Even when it did most people probably thought they will not like it before watching it (just like me). But it's great that we all are here now after all :3 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not really, I was a hater of MLP or in general, any little girls toys franchise when I was a kid. When G4 came, and discovered that some male dudes like it and I was like "unexpected.... ok, let's keep browsing internet :lol: ". Then, this classmate told me to watch it and I was naturally weirded out, but  I gave it a chance and think it's a decent show and that's it........ oh boy, I was sooooooo WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG 

Edited by Zekromic
  • Brohoof 1

Of the original show, absolutely not.

Of FiM, probably, I've always enjoyed cartoons so really the restyling of MLP was the only barrier that had to be broken. :P

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Only up until recently I was very wary of the whole thing. I've heard so many horror stories of the creepers in ths fandom before I heard anything positive. It was only when I noticed a friend starting to get into it very recently tha I did too. I gotta say, I'm glad I did. It's nice having a pleasant cartoon that always has a happy ending.

• Brohoof 2

In the beginning... I had a very different picture of Bronies in mind! I wasn't a hater, but I thought that Bronies were these tough dudes who go to the gym 10 times a week. I don't even know how I got that image into my mind xD

Anyway in school we had an art project and a good friend of mine said "Hey, why don't you draw Rainbow Dash!" and was like "What?". He isn't even a Brony, but he likes Rainbow Dash...

So I drew Rainbow Dash. That was the "first contact" with ponies.

Then about a month after that I met a girl, who was rambling on twitter how she really liked My little pony and could not stop watching it.

I asked her "is it good?", she responded "if you like unicorns, pegasi and sparkles."

At that point I was thinking to myself "Yeah, sounds like you would like it." xD

I watched the first two episodes and loved them. I think when I first heard "Winter Wrap Up", I fully considered myself a Brony and got 20% cooler.  B)

• Brohoof 2

Nope. Since was originally a hater, and that I was freaked out by bronies when I given the show a chance, I figured I wouldn't become a brony at all. Once I began to realise that there was more good in the fandom then bad, I considered myself a brony. :>

• Brohoof 1