Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why parents don't like you watching mlp?

Deathstroke

I live in what still feels like a small town, and small town people do not like anything that is not like them.  My mother fears that one day I will be seen in public wearing a pony princess on my chest and any one of the local inbreed denizens will say to themselves, 'That man, with that, girly, thing on his shirt...  he must be a pedophile.  If I were to kill him publicly and desecrate his corpse all over town, I would be fulfilling my requirement for being an American citizen.'

A lot of parents think their kids are too old to be watching that type of thing, which I disagree but that's what many parents think. Thankfully mine, are not like that, they're glad that I'm watching that instead of other things I could be watching.

When my dad found out I watched the show, I told him about bronies in general, and how great the show is. And after he researched it online, he told me he completely understood the appeal, and had no problem with it. My mom on the other hand... She thinks it's creepy.  :o

To the OP: free will exists in every country, America is nothing special.

To my point: I don't think mothers would care as much, besides perhaps worrying over things like "is my son gay", "will i get grandchildren" blabla and similarly absurd musings.

Fathers certainly react differently. I feel like fathers feel somewhat of a failure if they don't bring their son up to be a macho person or a "manly" man, since they were the only manly influence in their son's life and they often try to attribute blame to themselves. And even though I like the show, it would be pretty retarded to try and argue that the show is manly.

I'm not really speaking from personal experience as my parents are quite liberal. They don't know I watch the show but if they did then I wouldn't care really. I enjoy watching MLP but it doesn't define me and I have plenty of other stronger interests. As long as they understand that then everything's cool in my book.

(edited)

My parents don't really care, they just think I am a super brother. xD

I have two babies in the house and I usually watch the show with them. (It is a bag of win!)

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

OKAY, HERE WE GO!

1. when parents hear of MLP, they think of the show from the 90's, meaning they think its a childish show for little girls.

2. they think that grown men watching a show about ponies means that we are either gay, pedophiles, or horsefuckers.

3. if your parent doesn't like you watching mlp, you're parents are inconsiderate and unaccepting.

My parents didn't mind letting me watch MLP. Its basically not the first time I've watched a show targeted for females. I watched the Powerpuff Girls and Sailor Moon back in the 90's, so I think other parents would consider realizing that watching sitcoms provide no life lessons compared to MLP. :P

I don't know, I'm 21 and even by the time I was in late High School my mom had stopped policing my media intake(and even watched some pretty adult stuff like the Highlander movies with me).

• Brohoof 1

You're right. Parents should be happy their child is watching something useful to life rather then blood and murders, sex and that BS on TV these days. Total support! *nod*

PS: They are probably just jealous of us because they didn't have shows like that when they were young so they don't want you to have the joy of watching it.

Hmm, I just remembered something.

"It seems today that all we see us violence in movies and sex on TV..."

And I don't even watch that show.

• Brohoof 1

My mom really disapproves :(

She says that it's not normal and all sorts of no true Scotsman bs and other illogical arguments. She also said the show is why I'm doing "not as well" in school. Guess my 4.0 semester grade is all MLP's fault lol. In that case, I should watch it some more :D

Idk, she doesn't understand anything I watch though, so I think this is just the easiest one for her to pick on.

My old folks don't know that I'm a brony. I won't tell them but if they find out by accident I won't deny it.

Why should they know what I'm doing on my computer?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually, my parent's don't mind at all because they're dead.....but I still have a grandma, and she dosen't mind it. Infact, she encourages me to let my niece watch it because she dosent have cable. :)

Edited by TheDarkMysteryMan

The response that I usually get is because most parents are of the age where they either watched or are aware of the existence of the original generation of MLP, so they automatically assume that they're the stereotypical girly show of yesteryear. I think it's one of those things where you have to watch it to understand it. For example, my dad and my aunt both don't understand bronies because my dad was old enough to be aware of the show in the 80s and my aunt was old enough to have watched the show in the 80s. But my mom and my uncle do understand because my mom has watched a few episodes herself and my uncle has seen previews of it. My uncle has actually told my aunt that he "doesn't think the ponies are the ones that [they] grew up with." And he could understand the attraction that bronies have to the show. .

• Brohoof 1

No pony cares that I watch MLP. why should they we each have that one show we just love to watch.

My brother has WWE wrestling.

My older sister has honey boo boo.

My mom has house hunters.

My dad has some very old westerns.

and I have MLP.

But then again why should what we watch matter?....it doesn't really tell anything about who we are except what we like and what is so wrong about watching a show trying to teach something.

Shows like SpongeBob really don't teach anything and after watching more and more I've noticed they have quite a bit of crude humor to them. yet people jump on MLP by making mountains out of molehills.

Derpy is making fun of the dumb.

The reason my child gets beat up is because of ponies.

Love and tolerance is for just girls and sissys lets let our children watch shows on murder, gangbanging and being a hood etc that will keep them on the straight and narrow.

Etc etc.

Anyhoo...that is my lil rant for the day. :wub:

~Dashes off.~

Me and my younger brother were watching something together and my dad arrived. He said it was dumb that we still watch cartoons.

That cartoon was South Park.

Eeyeah... Who knows what that could lead to...

My mom on the other hand is different. She would rather see me watch MLP than those shows or movies centered around violence.