Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Steel Accord

It's best to just remember everypony has an opinion and its not always gonna be agreed to. What matters is that you respect other peoples opinions, and be proper about it. Just because you don't agree with someone else doesn't mean you have to be rude or cuss them out.

Saying something as simple as "That's a good opinion but I have my own" and leaving at that would be ok and everypony can just get on with our lives. But when someone chews you out for your opinion and flat out insults you, thats just immature.

• Brohoof 2

@@Doc. Volt,

I can at least try. I don't want to exclude anyone, but I also think we owe one another just some basic courtesies. Nothing as extreme as universal acceptance, just an understanding that everyone's opinions are valid and they are not just speaking because they like to hear themselves talk; they have an opinion based on their experience and ideals.  

No brony should be told his voice doesn't matter, that he has nothing to contribute.

It's best to just remember everypony has an opinion and its not always gonna be agreed to. What matters is that you respect other peoples opinions, and be proper about it. Just because you don't agree with someone else doesn't mean you have to be rude or cuss them out.

Saying something as simple as "That's a good opinion but I have my own" and leaving at that would be ok and everypony can just get on with our lives. But when someone chews you out for your opinion and flat out insults you, thats just immature.

Well that's part of my point. What you propose seems to be the rule of our fandom, and I'm grateful of that. It just shocks me to find that their are exceptions to that rule.

@@Steel Accord, I see that you keep bringing up that, since we are all a part of this fandom, we should all abide by some basic rules of courtesy, so to speak.

The truth of the matter is, however, that that is never going to work. We're already a fandom that loves magic little ponies that preach friendship and acceptance. We already have that silly "love and tolerate" meme about us. And many Bronies already preach being nice and respecting each others opinions.

At this point, any Brony who is treating other people with disrespect or being an butthole is doing so of their own choice. They know they're being dense, despite everything, so there's really not much you can do to stop that. Others have said jerks are a part of life, and I can one hundred percent assure you that is the truth. In fact, everyone has been a jerk at least once in their life. To expect that Bronies, even if the show we watch preaches otherwise, will be any different than the rest of the population is asking a lot.

I'm no statistical expert, and we might have less jerks than other fandoms or the rest of the population, and they're here to stay and there's not much you can do about them. Whenever i run into jerks in any situation, I just take it in stride and with a grin on my face. That's all you gotta do, hombre, and then the jerks don't have any power. Even if they are a Brony like you or me.

• Brohoof 2

@,

I see your point. As I said, it was just the shock of seeing such comments, not directed toward just me, but entire swaths of the fandom. I mean, can you imagine someone saying they hated all brony musicians?

Why? And if you don't like it, don't listen to it. You don't need to curse the name of your fellows. 

I see your point. As I said, it was just the shock of seeing such comments, not directed toward just me, but entire swaths of the fandom. I mean, can you imagine someone saying they hated all brony musicians?

Why? And if you don't like it, don't listen to it. You don't need to curse the name of your fellows. 

Ah, but here's the thing about music: people take their hates and likes way too far when it involves anything music-related.

How many people have you heard say they hate country music, or they hate pop music? There's people who straight up post entire fantasies about murdering musicians over their music on the Internet.

Brony musicians aren't going to be safe from that sort of talk either. I'm not sure what it is about music that causes these people to react in this way, but you aren't alone in seeing hate for Brony musicians once or twice. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of Brony music myself, but there's a few songs here and there I like. Even so, I don't say that I hate them or their work, simply that it's not for me.

Ah, but here's the thing about music: people take their hates and likes way too far when it involves anything music-related.

How many people have you heard say they hate country music, or they hate pop music? There's people who straight up post entire fantasies about murdering musicians over their music on the Internet.

Brony musicians aren't going to be safe from that sort of talk either. I'm not sure what it is about music that causes these people to react in this way, but you aren't alone in seeing hate for Brony musicians once or twice. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of Brony music myself, but there's a few songs here and there I like. Even so, I don't say that I hate them or their work, simply that it's not for me.

Wait, I was just kidding, there's ACTUALLY bronies that hate the musical portion of the fandom?! ALL OF IT?! How's is that even possible?!

Wait, I was just kidding, there's ACTUALLY bronies that hate the musical portion of the fandom?! ALL OF IT?! How's is that even possible?!

Oh you were?

Well yeah there are honestly Bronies who don't like the musical part of the fandom. I haven't seen them on this site, but I've seen comments on Youtube deriding Brony musicians for too much dubstep.

Of course, you never know if those people are serious or not, but if they aren't, they're only trying to get a rise out of other Bronies.

Speaking of which, I should take notes on that...

If this fandom starts to decline, it will because it judges itself to be of one mind like its own enemies try to accuse it to be. Fans of ponies are quite diverse and can be very nice or mean as well.

• Brohoof 1

@,

This entire experience is like a reality check to me, a bad one. I thought talk of secession was bad, now I realize the problem may have been building for awhile now. Why would bronies prey or make fun of their own? And I don't mean in the playful Pinkie Pie fashion!

This makes no sense . . .

Fillies and Gentlecolts, my name is Steel Accord. That's, the pony Steel Accord. My human counterpart's brain has left the building. His perception of reality is being challenged. Give him a few minutes and a cola and he should be fine.

If this fandom starts to decline, it will because it judges itself to be of one mind like its own enemies try to accuse it to be. Fans of ponies are quite diverse and can be very nice or mean as well.

Oh the diversity is not what's bothering me. I love and adore how we come from so many political spectrums and philosophical outlooks. It's the base name calling and frankly, childishness some exhibit toward their own number that troubles me.

(edited)

This entire experience is like a reality check to me, a bad one. I thought talk of secession was bad, now I realize the problem may have been building for awhile now. Why would bronies prey or make fun of their own? And I don't mean in the playful Pinkie Pie fashion!

This makes no sense . . .

Fillies and Gentlecolts, my name is Steel Accord. That's, the pony Steel Accord. My human counterpart's brain has left the building. His perception of reality is being challenged. Give him a few minutes and a cola and he should be fine.

Ah yes, I remember people talking about a secession or some crap. I don't think anything's going to come of that.

It's just how it is, partner. Some Bronies are trolls too, ya know, so you're not going to escape jerkish people. I think the mane thing you should remember is to not let this get to you that much. Every fandom has jerks, way worse than the jerks in this fandom, so I don't think you should put too much stock into it affecting the fandom at large.

Believe me on that. I have been a fan of a lot of other things, and there are some of the biggest jerkwads of all time in those fandoms. Granted, we have some pretty big jerks in the Brony fandom too, but to me it's just natural and if you let them get to you you're only going to make a fandom split or something like that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 2

It's the base name calling and frankly, childishness some exhibit toward their own number that troubles me.

It is troubling but I don't think it's reasonable or possible to expect everypony to be nice. Some ponies aren't that nice and maybe it's best to avoid them. I would agree that they make the fandom look bad. No different than if it was happening in a different and older fan base.

Wait, I was just kidding, there's ACTUALLY bronies that hate the musical portion of the fandom?! ALL OF IT?! How's is that even possible?!

Social and individual complexity my friend. What you seem to be talking about in your posts is a sort of tolerance paradox. When we bemoan the negativity of someone and focus on the impact and the negativity itself, you lose sight of the other aspects of the individual or group that says, "I hate analysis! F em!"

Losing sight of the individual is part of the equation of intolerance itself. We've all had bad days and each of us probably has let out steam in the wrong way.

Then there's this ... the perception of this fandom being one that is more accepting and optimistic creates a security blanket for someone to let lose ... since it is more forgiving in general.

• Brohoof 1

Even though I thought for a while that everyone can change and be good, I'm starting to doubt it. I'm starting to think that they are people that are bad in their nature.

So far I haven't faced namecalling yet. Some people stopped talking to me cause of my approach and opinions, some treated me like a kid and put themselves way above me, and so on. Everyone has their own way. Even though I wasn't insulted in any obvious way, it wasn't pleasant either. Still if you can't manage your negative feels, it's better to end it this way than another... *sigh*

This fandom is still way better, than any other part of the internet.

I also don't think that anyone, who's a hating asshole all the time,has any right to call himself a true brony ( just a regular MLP fan ). I know that everyone can be like that sometimes, but it's really important to even try to be good. <- just my opinion, please don't kill me.

"But if you meet them in person they aren't all that bad!"

Well, this works until you meet them in person and they actually are a jerk to everyone around them.

Maybe some are in a bad mood at the time (Death of a relative really changes people). If they continuously be a jerk, then abandon all connections with them.

For example, a few of the analysis bronies. I don't think I'm allowed to name call them specifically, but having been in a panel for them I realized that they really are jerks.

(edited)

"But if you meet them in person they aren't all that bad!"

Well, this works until you meet them in person and they actually are a jerk to everyone around them.

Maybe some are in a bad mood at the time (Death of a relative really changes people). If they continuously be a jerk, then abandon all connections with them.

For example, a few of the analysis bronies. I don't think I'm allowed to name call them specifically, but having been in a panel for them I realized that they really are jerks.

Really? I mean I'm genuinely shocked. I respect you immensely for your music so I'm not going to doubt your word, but it . . . wow.

Gotta say, I'm feeling a little crestfallen from this news.  :(

Edited by Steel Accord

Really? I mean I'm genuinely shocked. I respect you immensely for your music so I'm not going to doubt your word, but it . . . wow.

Gotta say, I'm feeling a little crestfallen from this news.  :(

Well, I'd share a quote from General Iroh from Avatar, the Last Airbender to make something out of this.

"Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

I pretty much agree with this.

• Brohoof 4

To be honest, out of the parts of the fanbase I've seen...the hugboxy "friendly family" side, are the worst. You can't even have a simple, civilized discussion about a flaw, without them getting pissed off. Even the cloppers or the 4channers are alot more lenient then that, even if they sometimes do go on insult sprees.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I'd share a quote from General Iroh from Avatar, the Last Airbender to make something out of this.

"Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

I pretty much agree with this.

*Sigh* I guess you're right. Iroh's wisdom can always make sense of something like this. I guess I just expected the upper echelon of the brony circles to be held by the best of us, in talent and in spirit. Like yourself, my good sir.

I have to admit, our fandom and other fandoms out there have their share of ignorant, self-centered, and completely stubborn people. I think I could say that, for there to be order there must be chaos to ensure that the order keeps the chaos at bay. Not going to sugarcoat it at all, we could try to see things through the end for a better result.

We can try to have the good outweigh the bad, if we work together.

• Brohoof 1

I just ignore someone who is not very nice to me or others :l As far as am concerned they're slowly destroying their own reputation this way. It will get to a point where he/she has only one or two people to talk to! But I am not against them in any way simply because that is just who they are in this world. Its their choice to make a change not ours or anyone elses. So my best advice is to just ignore the ponies that aren't to your liking I mean not everyone is bound to get along in this world.

-Crystal Edge

• Brohoof 1

The "brony" label really doesn't have anything to do with one's personality. Suddenly becoming a brony isn't necessarily going to change someone and if it does I would argue that they are actually a little too excited about the fandom. No doubt the fandom can change people for the better but adopting the stereotypical brony "love and tolerate" bullshit just because you are a part of the fandom now is very trend-whorey. (I really couldn't think of a better word for that)

Change for the sake of fitting in is the worst thing a person can do if it goes against who we are as people. Some of us can be infuriating to talk to about certain subjects but to quell those thoughts on the grounds that "this is how a brony should act" or something like that is a very irritating concept to me.

I don't believe in mutual respect for the sake of respecting each other. No one deserves respect by default.

• Brohoof 6

Well that's part of my point. What you propose seems to be the rule of our fandom, and I'm grateful of that. It just shocks me to find that their are exceptions to that rule.

True, I only break this rule if someone flat out calls me or my opinion 'stupid' or 'ignorant' because at the end of the day, that person is insulting my intelligence or personal feelings. There's no need for that, a simple "I don't agree with your opinion, simply for these reasons" and explain with maturity or professionalism, without going below the belt would be fine by me even.

And of course I could argue back to enforce my opinion but I would still exchange the same curtiousy that he/she gave to me.

• Brohoof 1

The "brony" label really doesn't have anything to do with one's personality. Suddenly becoming a brony isn't necessarily going to change someone and if it does I would argue that they are actually a little too excited about the fandom. No doubt the fandom can change people for the better but adopting the stereotypical brony "love and tolerate" bullshit just because you are a part of the fandom now is very trend-whorey. (I really couldn't think of a better word for that)

Change for the sake of fitting in is the worst thing a person can do if it goes against who we are as people. Some of us can be infuriating to talk to about certain subjects but to quell those thoughts on the grounds that "this is how a brony should act" or something like that is a very irritating concept to me.

I don't believe in mutual respect for the sake of respecting each other. No one deserves respect by default.

Couldn't have said it better myself. People seem to find it easy to forget that people are here because they enjoy a show. That doesn't mean they have to act a certain way, be painstakingly polite and not voice their opinions when they are annoyed by others.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think there exists an individual, Brony or otherwise, that is nice or considerate 100% of the time.  I know that even *I* can be mean at times.  Mean, wrong, sarcastic, condescending...  What have you.  I try to keep these things in check and avoid tapping overmuch into the sardonic part of my mind if I haven't been personally provoked.  But if something rubs me very much the wrong way, I make no promises of love and tolerance lol.  Outside of these forums (and, sometimes, within them xD ) I'm a very cynical and misanthropic individual.  HOWEVER, considering that I've had far more positive experiences interacting with this community than I've had negative ones...  I'll take it as it is.  I don't believe a few bad apples spoil the Brony bunch, and - when I'm being kind of a bad apple, myself - I hope that people don't condemn me for all of time because of it.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 2