Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Journal of the Two Sisters - Discussion

TenorSounds

-- WARNING, THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK --

I got my copy of the Journal of the Two Sisters yesterday, and I am eager to talk about it with other fans! So, for those of you who have read it, what did you think?

The main thing I'm wondering is whether it's widely considered canon to the show. I think it's canon, but I also consider the comics canon and I know some people don't put much stock in those.

Personally I loved the callback to the Equestrian founders we saw in Hearth's Warming Eve, as-well as Manny the manticore and Starswirl! Also, I don't recall if it's come up before but this book makes it clear Luna has a similar ability to Fluttershy in-that she can understand creatures normal ponies can't. I also thought Pinkie's 'new' entries into the Journal of Friendship were hilarious, and I appreciate the nod to the season finale by having the "Key" episode letters highlighted (by Discord, obviously).

Meh! It's okay for what it is, a kids book. But there's nothing, you know, really juicy in there! Like the Downfall of Luna, or Discord's time in power, or how Sombra turned evil. Still at least it's more pony merch!

It's definitely a kid's book (it's not exactly a tough read), and it does stop right before the downfall of Luna and other juicy bits but I'd argue that for people looking to analyze the lore/world-building there's plenty of neat stuff in there.

• Brohoof 2

[...]

Also, looks like there are other Alicorns there.

I know right? The hinting that they were raised by other Alicorns makes me think there was a clan of Alicorns or something at one point. IIRC it's the first time Alicorns have been talked about as-if they were just another race of pony and not some magical god-being you could only be if you did a special thing.

• Brohoof 1

I know right? The hinting that they were raised by other Alicorns makes me think there was a clan of Alicorns or something at one point. IIRC it's the first time Alicorns have been talked about as-if they were just another race of pony and not some magical god-being you could only be if you did a special thing.

There are aparently other nations out there too, so there could be indeed a nation full of Alicorns.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I enjoyed it immensely; even if it is written more for a kid than a lore-loving adult such as myself. Like the OP, I prefer to see the comics as canon, and will count this book as such.

1. I love the cover design. It just FEELS and LOOKS like a journal written by the sisters.

2. I loved how the sisters saw Star Swirl the Bearded. They respected him as a mentor & teacher, but Celestia also remarked on how unique he was; which may tie-in to how the comics portray him.

3. That catfight between Luna & Platinum was just hilarious.

4. Loved how they tied together the building of the castle and the Tree of Harmony.

5. We now have a reason for Celestia & Luna becoming princesses in the first place.

There are more things I could mention, but I'm at work right now, so...yeah.

I have the phsyical copy, and will be downloading digital versions for iBooks & Kindle!

• Brohoof 3

I loved the part with the sisters. While I didn't like luna's almost valley girl like speech, it was interesting to get to see into the minds of the royal sisters before they ran the world. And apparently, they are far older than originally guessed as they have interactions with the characters from the hearths warming eve play. However, it really felt like they played it safe on this one, only giving out info that wouldn't reveal or disprove major fanon.

post-23625-0-13383300-1402944927_thumb.jpg

However the second half of the book was rather lackluster, and was just a recap of the season 4 episodes. And some parts raise more questions than they answer.

All in all I'd rate this book a 7.5/10, it was fairly dry, only covering a very small portion of the royal sisters lives. But I loved how much world building they did in that part, with revealing were Zebra's originate in their world, along with the fact that other kingdoms exist. But the book really hits a wall with the mane 6 half of the book, as other than raising questions about the age of Rainbow Dash, all it really does is recap stuff we have already seen, and it doesn't add much for how much I paid for it.

• Brohoof 2

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!

Yeah, I liked it a lot.  It was written by Amy Keating Rogers, which makes this the perfect counter to the "comics aren't canon" argument I'm sick of hearing*.

First, it gave some of Celestia and Luna's backstory.  They were apparently part of some alicorn settlement*.  They were appointed Princesses* by King Billion.  Also, they didn't have their cutie marks, despite being older than Princess Platinum, because alicorns age differently.  We also find out how Star Swirl was able to live so long and some of his exploits.  And he taught Luna how to move stars, which must be how the stars aided Nightmare Moon in her escape.  We also see a bit of the Zebra Tribes, Griffin Kingdom, and the Crystal Empire and other ways ponies can lose their magic.

It was also totally hilarious.

*Hate to say "I told you so" but--oh wait, I love saying that!

• Brohoof 4

I didn't read the whole thing, but from what I read, it gave some nice world building and backstory for Celestia and Luna. 

Now my favortie part, was the Pinkie's Random Thoughts part. They were parts that weren't in the show, just Pinkie writing stuff down forgetting it was the journal of friendship. She would right about rocks being slippery when wet and talk about lollygabbing day. Yeah figures I find that the best part.

• Brohoof 2

[...]

And he taught Luna how to move stars, which must be how the stars aided Nightmare Moon in her escape.

[...]

I don't think he actually got around to teaching her how to move the stars, it seemed like it was too difficult for her so she fixated on the moon instead. I read it as a teaser for Twilight's flavor of celestial power; maybe she's the one who finally masters moving the stars. Her cutie-mark is a star after all.

• Brohoof 1

It's awesome! I actually got to hear Amy Keating Rogers read the first few pages out loud at a pony convention a week, or two back. It got me really excited for this book. While it's a quick, easy read that doesn't mean that it isn't a satisfying one. So many pages were taken up with pictures. I wish they would have used to extra space to cover the Nightmare Moon arc. (I'm not done with it yet, but I've been told this part isn't covered.) I would have loved to hear Luna's personal thoughts while she was turning evil. Her jealous thoughts, and Celestia's worrisome ones.

Oh well, it was still worth buying. The random Pinkie Pie entries alongside the history, and interaction with all of the other species. It was awesome, and all but it could have been slightly meatier. 

• Brohoof 4

Is this book only available in the USA?

Yes, in the shops it's only available in the States, but I ordered it online from the Book depositary, who got it to me in under a week. And they offer free postage anywhere in the world, unlike Amazon!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This thread reminded me of the book's existance. So I bought it for my phone. I'm very into it.

I'm hoping that we can get an episode where Starswirl time travels to present day Equestria!

edit: just finished it. What a good read. :') so much dramatic irony.

Edited by Destiny
  • Brohoof 2

Just received and finished reading my copy of the book today.  There is ONE big flaw I have found wit h the book....The hardbound cover of the book is upside down AND backwards!!!! What the Hay is going on?   Am I the only one with a copy of the book with this problem?

• Brohoof 1

Just received and finished reading my copy of the book today.  There is ONE big flaw I have found wit h the book....The hardbound cover of the book is upside down AND backwards!!!! What the Hay is going on?   Am I the only one with a copy of the book with this problem?

My copy is fine, that's really strange :\

Am I the only pegasister out there that wants to have twi stumble across a line like "Tia is such a mule face!" Or "And to think...Luna has the nerve to call MY flank fat!" More sisterly vibes is needed from these two..hay, I just want an episode of them on vacation. And we get to go with!

I have read both books on digital, I will say for the journal of friendship I am glad to read what pinkie pie wrote in pinkie pride, the apple family finally have an agreement after pinkie apple pie. On spikes part, even though we know what he said after power ponies, he could have mention it in the book, all I see was images in comic format. The journal of two sisters is right now my favorite, for like everyone says it gives a back story on celestia and Luna, Luna's entries have been entertaining.

One of y'all posted that the journal stops before the luna event, and other events, in my view sure it could have had more entries, but it would be more about celestia. Also think of it, they are princesses so they must have been very busy to keep up writing in it, and also, would celestia keep writing after she banished her own sister to the moon? No, which is why (in theory) after that event she just got her stuff and guards and left the castle of two sisters and built a new one on that mountain that we now see today.

That's what I think.

Overall I like these two books, they are entertaining. Now can't wait for the daring do books to come out soon.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I found this youtube video about the book where Amy talks about it

So I think this book is totally canon and I want it. I was originally hoping the backstory idea would be for an episode but this is nice.

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1