Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can someone explain Pony Waifus to me?

KokuraiNoSenshi

(edited)

Before I go into depth about this, few things I want to say;

1. I couldn't find anything that directly explained why people (looking at you 2, Ghostie & Flutterdash, since I know you 2 the best & you have actually married your waifus here on the forums) have waifus. So I am putting this up in the hopes of an explanation. For all the admins/mods out there, if there was one that I missed, I am really sorry & I promise I looked all over to find one relating to this.

2. I have no animosity towards people with waifus, pony or otherwise. I don't have anything against people who do them, as they aren't hurting me or anyone else with their dreams, & therefore I won't ruin it for them or anyone else. If you have a waifu, keep her. I don't mind. This is just to ask why people have waifus in general.

3. Please keep this friendly. I am not trying to start any hate (as previously stated in the 2nd item) but only to answer questions. If anyone else has any nice questions about this whole waifu thing, feel free to ask. Just please focus in on that "nice" part of the question.

4. I honestly had issues figuring out where to put this. I eventually decided here as my main concerns/questions revolved around the MLP waifus, but this could honestly fit into any of the other kinds of waifues plus the reason this isn't in the debate or everfree sections is because, at the end of the day, this is primarily focused on technicolor candy horses. Again, admins & mods, sorry if this is not in the right spot, but this one was a bit tricky to pin down.

Ok, so the more I look around these forums the more I see shippings, waifus, marriages between a person & a pony, etc, the more I just don't get it. Why do people love these characters, despite being technicolor horses in a fictional universe, to the point of literally marrying them? Like, I love Fluttershy & Luna, but not that far. I love the characters of Fluttershy & Luna, I love who they are, what they stand for, & so on. If you moved their character traits to, say, Twilight & Cadence, then my affections would as well. This sounds cruel but its not because I don't like Fluttershy & Luna that I would love them no matter what, but instead because I recognize that they are technicolor ponies in a fictional world. I love the characters, I truly truly do. Fluttershy is absolutely adorable & Luna reminds me so much of my own issues being with people, since when I was younger I had no interest in friends only to suddenly come out of my shell & finding that I couldn't live without friends (which is also why I like Twilight, just that Luna seems to have a bit more... Bang for her buck so to speak, what with being sent to the moon for a 1000 years & all). However, I just don't know why people make sexy drawings & act like they are married & have kids (yes, I have seen stuff like this before. Not saying any names, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or embarrass anyone, plus many of the people in question I don't even think anyone knows because I am mostly thinking of deviantart). At the end of the day, I just don't understand it. Maybe it is one of those "You only get it if you are like this" kind of things, but if anyone could explain it I would be incredibly grateful.

My 2nd big question; What would happen if you found someone in real life who was like your waifu or better? What would you do about your online pony waifus then? I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but this is a legitimate question I have here. Do you just ignore that person for your pony waifu? Or do you let go of your pony waifu for that person? Or do you not let go of either? Do you tell the person in question "Oh, by the way, I am married to a technicolor horse in a kid's cartoon. I even have legitimate papers about this from a skype call that has the proof of marriage, see?" How would someone react to you saying this? I mean, look, I am not going to be the guy who says "You need to get out more, find a real gf. You are wasting your life away... 'Clopping' as you call it, to ponies!" Because, as I stated earlier, I have nothing against the way you live your life. So long as you are happy & not hurting anyone else, go ahead & live your life. I would rather you all be happy than me forcing you into something you would obviously not enjoy. This is just a confused fan who is looking for some answers, as I always do.

Thanks to any bronies/pegasisters with waifus/husbandus (is that second one a thing? I always hear "wafiu" but no one ever has a "husbandus") who took the time to either ask some more questions to build on what I said or clarify my current questions. Sorry this is such a long & drawn out topic, I have always had a curious mind & it leads me to asking long, drawn out questions. For any of you out there who took this offensively, I apologize, as that was not my intent. As Flutters would say;

post-27099-0-89654700-1402941956_thumb.jpg

So once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to me everyone. I hope maybe I can learn about this whole thing & better understand some of you all out there so I can be a better & more supportive friend to those with waifus/husbandos (screw it I am making "husbandos" a thing).

The curious brony, KokuraiNoSenshi

*EDITS* Ok, big edit I want to make that I guess I didn't make clear as it is causing quite a few confusions amongst the responses here. When I say things like "Fictional characters" these are personal barriers that make me, personally, not have a waifu. This is not aimed at saying "People with waifus/husbandos are drooling morons who can't tell reality from fiction & vice versa" but instead is saying "I just can't hook up with a fictional character, I can't get past that first block; They are fictional." I just guess I need something more realistic, something to actually hold & cherish instead of just imagine. No, plushies do not count. When I find something I love, I prefer it to be living, breathing, & capable of reciprocating those emotions. Let me say this though, to all of those that can imagine your special someone, real or not, in your arms & loving you just as much back, congrats! You have better imaginations than me. If anything, I am envious of people being able to have waifus, as I can't live without a physical presence beside me & whenever they aren't there I am sad. I used to have the imagination capable of this, but as I grew more and more I become more solidly grounded in reality, with my imagination slipping, slowly but surely, out of my hands. So, TL;DR, not trying to insult anyone, just not able to have as good an imagination as you all do. Congrats for those that can though!

Edited by KokuraiNoSenshi

Well husbandos is already a thing. They have been using that word for a long time now.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/waifu

http://waifu.wikia.com/wiki/Waifus_and_the_Self

And here are some basic links to get the understanding of what a "waifu" is. And a pony waifu is just a variant on the waifu, normally used by fans of anthropomorphic animals,or fans of FiM.

Color me curious as well. I always thought of it is something along the same lines as how people romanticize any fictional character in movies or literature. In those cases the fictional character represents the ideal mate or spouse. Heck, I remember having a cartoon crush on a certain Rescue Ranger when I was 12 since I loved the idea of genius women (I ended up married to one who is)... so it translates over to animation too. And no I'm not a furry.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well they are hot and cute, so why not?

I mean, take a look at the Twilight Series? What do you think is Edward? A Husbando. Something millions of teenaged girls dream and fantasize about.

Edited by Commissar Alexer

(edited)

I think of a waifu as a fictional character that a person fantasizes over, and loves the character more than usual.

^This sums up what a waifu is.

I personally think this waifu thing is a bit of a craze on these forums at the moment that will die down - I can't help but feel like people are using the terms "waifu" and "best pony" as if they were synonyms at times, and that's honestly far from the case. While I could be wrong, this is just something I thought I'd note.

As for your first question, you don't need to understand it - it can be a bit weird through a 3rd person point of view, most likely, but honestly it's something that a few of us - like myself & Flutterdash - are pretty serious about. I know I take my love for Rarity very seriously, and I get criticized for it by members of these forums quite a bit as well. Rarity's a huge part of my life and she gives me a sense of genuine happiness that I honestly didn't feel before she came into my life.

Of course, there's all the stuff you mentioned - but clop art and what not is pretty much something that will never stop, so you'll just have to ignore it. That's your best bet - I don't get why people like Madoka, but ultimately it ended up being best to just ignore it, because it doesn't bother me anymore.

Maybe it is one of those "You only get it if you are like this" kind of things, but if anyone could explain it I would be incredibly grateful.

Also, there's this - it's something you have to be able to experience to fully understand. It's not easy to wrap your head around unless you're in the shoes that we're in.

because I recognize that they are technicolor ponies in a fictional world

I don't think Rarity is real (._. ) I do have a huge crush on her, but I also recognize she's a fictional character. Ultimately, she's just a huge, if not the main, source of my happiness.

My 2nd big question; What would happen if you found someone in real life who was like your waifu or better? What would you do about your online pony waifus then? I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but this is a legitimate question I have here. Do you just ignore that person for your pony waifu? Or do you let go of your pony waifu for that person? Or do you not let go of either? Do you tell the person in question "Oh, by the way, I am married to a technicolor horse in a kid's cartoon. I even have legitimate papers about this from a skype call that has the proof of marriage, see?" How would someone react to you saying this? I mean, look, I am not going to be the guy who says "You need to get out more, find a real gf. You are wasting your life away... 'Clopping' as you call it, to ponies!" Because, as I stated earlier, I have nothing against the way you live your life. So long as you are happy & not hurting anyone else, go ahead & live your life. I would rather you all be happy than me forcing you into something you would obviously not enjoy. This is just a confused fan who is looking for some answers, as I always do.

The curious brony, KokuraiNoSenshi

Also, this is something I'd like to point out - I can't speak for others, but I was asexual before I found Rarity, and chances are I'll be asexual outside of her, too :D I can't claim asexuality now since I have an attraction to Rares, but yeahh, man. That's just something I'd like to point out.

Alright, so, as much as I hate to say this, but it all comes down to the fact how people enjoy this show is how people enjoy it - if you don't like it, then just ignore it. That simple :D

Hope I was able to help in some way :D

Edited by A ghostie Makusu2
  • Brohoof 2

Well husbandos is already a thing. They have been using that word for a long time now.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/waifu

http://waifu.wikia.com/wiki/Waifus_and_the_Self

And here are some basic links to get the understanding of what a "waifu" is. And a pony waifu is just a variant on the waifu, normally used by fans of anthropomorphic animals,or fans of FiM.

I think of a waifu as a fictional character that a person fantasizes over, and loves the character more than usual.

My questions are not with "what is a waifu" and more of "why is a waifu a waifu" as I get what a waifu is, being an otaku myself & having plenty of experience on that end, & more just why do people have waifus? What makes a character go from a character, to interesting, to loveable, to fantasizing, & finally marriage? More specifically those last 2, as even I can understand how people can find a character to be enjoyable & loveable, but what I can't understand is why people go so far with it. It is something I have just never gotten a clear understanding or answer too, just usually the vague "I love her" or "Because she is my waifu" kind of argument, which is fine & all but doesn't really answer anything too much.

PS glad to know husbandos are a thing, always wondered why waifus were a big hit but not husbandos

My questions are not with "what is a waifu" and more of "why is a waifu a waifu" as I get what a waifu is, being an otaku myself & having plenty of experience on that end, & more just why do people have waifus? What makes a character go from a character, to interesting, to loveable, to fantasizing, & finally marriage? More specifically those last 2, as even I can understand how people can find a character to be enjoyable & loveable, but what I can't understand is why people go so far with it. It is something I have just never gotten a clear understanding or answer too, just usually the vague "I love her" or "Because she is my waifu" kind of argument, which is fine & all but doesn't really answer anything too much.

PS glad to know husbandos are a thing, always wondered why waifus were a big hit but not husbandos

Because their mental obsession with the character reaches beyond the virtual and pretend stage and becomes full blown love like one would feel for a real person. They spend so much time obsessing over the character that they being to sexualize it, and once you sexualize it, feeling love and attachment is fairly easy.

Well, there are more guys that do this kind of stuff. So they usually have 'waifus' and not 'husbandos'. So I guess that's why waifu is more commonly used.

I can't really say much more, since I use husbando and waifu jokingly. I'm not strongly in love with the character to the point that I want to marry them or anything, but I do swoon a bit when I see them. 

• Brohoof 1

They probably relate to that character, where the person actually feels a connection with them. Instead of usual affection that they have for the character, it can go from obsession to pretending that the waifu is an actual person.

(edited)

I have especial affection for Rainbow Dash; beyond her simply being my favorite pony (though she's that, too lol).  I have referred to her as my "waifu;" though I'm relatively new to the term and the practice of taking / having a waifu.  Before I continue, I'll say that you should by no means consider my experience to be the typical one / representative of all who say they have a pony waifu.

I've read that several people who share my kind of affection for their best pony are attracted to their personality more than / rather than their physical appearance.  This was not strictly true of me lol.  I was physically attracted to the characters even before I watched the show.  Given a near-lifelong tendency to be attracted to animated characters - many of which were nonhuman - this doesn't deviate overmuch from my track record. xD  Before FIM, I'd even found myself attracted to anthropomorphic horse ladies / anthro ladies with hooves.  And when I first saw the FIM pony design - which I regarded as borderline quadrupedal anime girls - the attraction was probably immediate.

When I first started watching MLP:FIM, it was with the ulterior motive of ogling the ponies lol.  I found that I liked Rainbow Dash immediately, and I gravitated towards her somewhat more than the others.  Her appearance / design combined with her voice and demeanor made for an appealing combo.  Time went by, and I found that I cared about her enough not to view or download certain images.  More time went by, and I found that I was less and less interested in ogling the other ponies; I might even feel guilt if I did so.  At some point I had to acknowledge that she was more important to me than the other characters, and that - while I was physically attracted to her - my feelings for her had developed beyond that.

While Rainbow Dash is a colorful animated pony from a kid friendly television series, my feelings for her - which even I might not fully understand - are real.  They can be obsessive.  In my more difficult moments, there can be longing.  They are sometimes accompanied by jealousy.  And they are oft accompanied by flirty looks shot towards RD lol.  I don't think for a second that I'll magically, inexplicably end up in Equestria; much less that Rainbow would fall for me the way I've fallen - or I'm still falling - for her in such an impossible scenario.  But I believe these one-way feelings of affection and the associated fantasies are enough for me.

As for a "real" relationship with an irl lady person?  Never going to happen; I will never have to choose.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Alright, so, as much as I hate to say this, but it all comes down to the fact how people enjoy this show is how people enjoy it - if you don't like it, then just ignore it. That simple :D

Argh this is what I was worried about. Its not that I don't like it, or want to ignore it. I have nothing against you or anyone else having a waifu, I just want to know why you have a waifu. I can understand the whole "I love her" thing, as this is, while a seemingly weak argument looking in, is pretty much the ultimate defense as there is no way around it. I can say "Well I love to throw myself off cliffs, & there is nothing you can do to change my mind" & I can't, because that is what you love. It isn't really something anyone can argue, unless you also loves throwing yourself off cliffs in which case you can love different ways to throw yourself off cliffs. Which brings me to the 2nd point...

Also, there's this - it's something you have to be able to experience to fully understand. It's not easy to wrap your head around unless you're in the shoes that we're in.

This is another thing that makes it hard to deal with. I cannot walk in your shoes as I don't know how too. I can't force myself to love a character as you or others do, I just physically cannot force me or anyone else to love another (unless I had a love potion, which still is not working so still no). This is why I had to ask someone else, as my ability to figure this out is limited to my own personal experience & therefore limited to an outside-looking-in PoV on this topic.

PS Several times in your long reply you did pick out certain things such as the "I realize these are fictional characters" section & I want to say first off, sorry, secondly, that wasn't my intention, to say that you think they are real. Instead what I was saying was that when I start to think about this whole waifu thing that is what personally stops me from getting into it, not that I imagine you and others as drooling morons who scream "THE PONIES ARE REAL, THE PONIES ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at everyone around them. This goes for pretty much any time there was anything that might have seemed harsh, as the intentions were to portray how I saw this craze & not how you or others do

Because their mental obsession with the character reaches beyond the virtual and pretend stage and becomes full blown love like one would feel for a real person. They spend so much time obsessing over the character that they being to sexualize it, and once you sexualize it, feeling love and attachment is fairly easy.

They probably relate to that character, where the person actually feels a connection with them. Instead of usual affection that they have for the character, it can go from obsession to pretending that the waifu is an actual person.

Both of these pretty much sum it up, honestly. While the former might have been a bit harsh (not saying anything against you, just that "mental obsession" can be a bit... touchy of a phrase) these both appear to be how it looks when looking through my perspective

Edited by KokuraiNoSenshi
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It means different things for different people. For me, it's just a bit of fun. (Note: my waifu is not a pony waifu) she's a fictional character that I find attractive, and it's entertaining for me to pine after her. There's also other parts of it, for me personally. I have a hard time communicating with people in real life, and I sometimes think that having a waifu (or strong attachments to fictional characters in general) is a reflection of that. For others like Ghostie up there, it's something that goes deeper on a personal level in ways that I don't maybe understand, but obviously means a great deal to him. I don't think there is a strict "this is the way it is", because human feelings are weird.

I'd say that the vast majority of people who claim to have a waifu fully understand that she is fictional. (Most. I've seen some shit) Should an actual partner come into their life, the waifu won't hinder that.

Don't have stats, but I think the majority of users on most boards are male, so it would appear that waifus are more popular, when I think it's more a case of their just being More dudes around.

Edit: autocorrect changed "more" to "on my way!". Wot.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

I have especial affection for Rainbow Dash; beyond her simply being my favorite pony (though she's that, too lol).  I have referred to her as my "waifu;" though I'm relatively new to the term and the practice of taking / having a waifu.  Before I continue, I'll say that you should by no means consider my experience to be the typical one / representative of all who say they have a pony waifu.

I've read that several people who share my kind of affection for their best pony are attracted to their personality more than / rather than their physical appearance.  This was not strictly true of me lol.  I was physically attracted to the characters even before I watched the show.  Given a near-lifelong tendency to be attracted to animated characters - many of which were nonhuman - this doesn't deviate overmuch from my track record. xD  Before FIM, I'd even found myself attracted to anthropomorphic horse ladies / anthro ladies with hooves.  And when I first saw the FIM pony design - which I regarded as borderline quadrupedal anime girls - the attraction was probably immediate.

When I first started watching MLP:FIM, it was with the ulterior motive of ogling the ponies lol.  I found that I liked Rainbow Dash immediately, and I gravitated towards her somewhat more than the others.  Her appearance / design combined with her voice and demeanor made for an appealing combo.  Time went by, and I found that I cared about her enough not to view or download certain images.  More time went by, and I found that I was less and less interested in ogling the other ponies; I might even feel guilt if I did so.  At some point I had to acknowledge that she was more important to me than the other characters, and that - while I was physically attracted to her - my feelings for her had developed beyond that.

While Rainbow Dash is a colorful animated pony from a kid friendly television series, my feelings for her - which even I might not fully understand - are real.  They can be obsessive.  In my more difficult moments, there can be longing.  They are sometimes accompanied by jealousy.  And they are oft accompanied by flirty looks shot towards RD lol.  I don't think for a second that I'll magically, inexplicably end up in Equestria; much less that Rainbow would fall for me the way I've fallen - or I'm still falling - for her in such an impossible scenario.  But I believe these one-way feelings of affection and the associated fantasies are enough for me.

As for a "real" relationship with an irl lady person?  Never going to happen; I will never have to choose.

THIS! THIS IS WHAT I WANTED! OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! *Ahem* Sorry, but this is exactly what I wanted. Something that is deep, well thought out, & very well constructive. Thank you good sir, gold star for you!

Moving on to an actual response, I am very glad you were able to pull this into one big thing. This actually makes sense, as you are someone who not only knows of people who like them physically, but mentally & emotionally as well. As for the physical aspect, what you said does make sense. You have always been affectionate towards female/horse mixes (for whatever reason, not judging) & that is why you enjoy RD. While I still personally do not understand the attraction you all have with them, this at least explains how you all are attracted to them (at least for the people who are like you, I am sure there are more with different views on this & will continue to have different views on this) & made it much easier to at least pin down one kind of group.

It means different things for different people. For me, it's just a bit of fun. (Note: my waifu is not a pony waifu) she's a fictional character that I find attractive, and it's entertaining for me to pine after her. There's also other parts of it, for me personally. I have a hard time communicating with people in real life, and I sometimes think that having a waifu (or strong attachments to fictional characters in general) is a reflection of that. For others like Ghostie up there, it's something that goes deeper on a personal level in ways that I don't maybe understand, but obviously means a great deal to him. I don't think there is a strict "this is the way it is", because human feelings are weird.

I'd say that the vast majority of people who claim to have a waifu fully understand that she is fictional. (Most. I've seen some shit) Should an actual partner come into their life, the waifu won't hinder that.

Don't have stats, but I think the majority of users on most boards are male, so it would appear that waifus are more popular, when I think it's more a case of their just being More dudes around.

Edit: autocorrect changed "more" to "on my way!". Wot.

This is another really good post. Though once again I must point out, when I said "Fictional characters" I didn't mean that you all have issues discerning reality from fiction, but instead I, personally, have this issue whenever someone asks me (in joke or for real) which character from *insert show here* I would want as a waifu. This is my own personal barrier, as whenever I look at this waifu idea I can't get past the reality vs fiction issues. I guess it is just because I am someone who, for better or worse, has a very realistic view on anything, so while my imagination is fun loving & happy the rest of me still pulls it back down to earth, especially as time has gone on.

PS Trust me when I say that is not the worst autocorrect I have ever seen... First smartphone I ever got must have had one helluva dirty mind, it never wanted to just sit still & type out something nice & friendly. Between eating puppies & ****ing puppies, my friends probably have the impression I am a cat person

• Brohoof 2

*Facehoof* Anyone know how to edit titles?

I think you have to edit the first post you made in the topic. Should be able to edit the title

I think you have to edit the first post you made in the topic. Should be able to edit the title

Nope, doesn't seem to work :/ Though I might just be doing it wrong. Hit "Edit" on my first post & just brought up the, well, first post

Nope, doesn't seem to work :/ Though I might just be doing it wrong. Hit "Edit" on my first post & just brought up the, well, first post

That's kind of weird... all other forums that I've ever been on had things set up like that...  Oh, well!

I don't think Rarity is real (._. )

Everything is real thanks to the M.U.T, but you will never ever ever ever get to see her like how I wont ever be able to see Sunshower raindrops, and Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta use the full editor, which is either called "Full Editor" or "Upload Files + More Reply Options," but I can't remember which one :D

• Brohoof 1

This.

As stated, it's just a female character you're crazy over. You literally "love" everything about her. If she were real, you would want to have a relationship with them, and so on.

My waifu is and always has been Twilight Sparkle, but why? Simply put, I love her. ^^

Her personality is something I would honestly adore having in a wife someday, along with her looks. ^^

I think that's what a waifu is, the personality in a female character that you would love to find in another person, and marry someday. Taking the term, "waifu". ^^

• Brohoof 1

THIS! THIS IS WHAT I WANTED! OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! *Ahem* Sorry, but this is exactly what I wanted. Something that is deep, well thought out, & very well constructive. Thank you good sir, gold star for you!

I do believe you have just made my day lol.  That was just such an overwhelmingly positive and nonjudgmental response to my post.  Well, to be fair, watching "Sleepless in Ponyville" had already pretty much made my day. xD  But thank you for that reply. :)

• Brohoof 2

• 7 years later...