Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Room for Rent (SoL Adv. RP)

Wolfe

June 21st, Saturday

7:00 PM

Central-East Manehattan

The Brew

Room for Rent OOC

Typically, The Brew opens at 8PM, but today was a special day. It was a day that many had been anxious for a while. A day that an extra hour would fit everything else needed; an extra hour in which more words could be exchanged; an extra hour to claim photographs and memories. Those lined up outside and on top of the staircase were regulars, famous musicians, poets, comedians, and a blend in-between. Normally, there wouldn’t be a line this big on a typical night for The Brew, but Java Blend knew this was to be expected; he knew he’d have a full house right from the get-go. A smirk was lifted from his muzzle as he rose a smooth cup of joe to his lips from the inside of his club. It was his typical blend to start off the night; one that flowed past his sensing tongue and down his throat, where he felt the warmth embrace his belly immediately.

Hope you’re proud, dad… Couldn’t have done this without you…,” Java mumbled to himself.

He takes a look at his prized establishment with a bubbling heart of glee. Tables and chairs are set up all around to accommodate denizens. They are filed out in varying locations and positions, such that one could get a good view of a live performance, if one preferred to be in a more private area in a darker portion of the club, or maybe something in between. The lit stage with the red hanging curtains would be able to fit a quintet of performers, their instruments, and a bit more. And of course, his own work station, “The Stew.” He made a quick inspection of the immense library of coffee beans stored on its shelves, the grinders prepped for blending the beans, the coffee pots and brewers ready to steam the next smooth cup, and the flavorings to add sweetness, bitterness, creaminess, cinnamoniness, or whatever else intrigues the next pony’s tongue.

With a more firm sound in his voice, he called to his servers, cooks, and other employees. “Mares and Gentlecolts, what a night to be here in The Brew, am I right? I know you’ll be working a bit harder than other nights because of what will be happening. I assure you, just take this as another night and you’ll do fine. However…” he made a soft pause as he took another sip from his trademark white mug. “…enjoy the night for what it has to offer.” He smiled to every single pony in his sight. “Some of you have been here for a short while, some since this place’s inception. In any case, have fun. There’s a lot to experience, and I assure you. This will be an unforgettable night.

He drank the last of his special brew with a smooth gulp and raised the empty mug up to toast his employees and The Brew. Everyone else cheered and raised their hooves. As tradition for Java, he tilted his mug upside down, letting a drop or two escape the brim and trickle to the floor, something he did as a reminder for his father’s memory to this place. With a quick shuffle, he replaced his special mug behind the brewing counter and opened the door to this underground club with a click from the lock. He climbed the stone staircase to reach the sidewalk level to greet everypony that cheered for this event. The small gate blocking entry down the staircase was now breached by Java Blend.  

Welcome to the 5th Anniversary of The Brew, everypony.

With that, he extended entry into the prestigious club, spearheading everyone inside to the bean-smelling atmosphere. A jazzy tune immediately plays from the modified gramophone that may be familiar to some of the regulars; a famous tune by Java Blend’s father along with the band he was in, The Jive Five. (Music: Dave Brubeck - Blue Rondo a la Turk)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scarlet Rose.

Scarlets made a point of celebrating as little as was acceptable, given current company. It was a lot tougher than one might have thought: outwardly displaying a level of excitement best described as 'feigned indifference' when she was inwardly almost as enthusiastic as the rest of the staff.

'Faux-feigned indifference?' She pondered briefly, before setting her assumed 'work demeanour' in place - consisting of an efficient-yet-seemingly-reluctant poise and a smile which was just as fake as it appeared, but for different reasons. Indeed, she was quite fond of her work: and even though a good number of the staff had figured this out, most still at least humoured her and her attitude.

Now, Scarlet wasn't an expert when it came to coffee - she only drunk the stuff on occasion and if asked about it outside of work would tend to respond with a sullen shrug. She had an excellent memory though: both mentally and muscular. Once shown, she remembered with almost perfect accuracy... not that she always strictly stuck to what she knew, on the rare occasion that a customer gave her reason to throw together something out of the ordinary.

On the very rare occasion.

She took her position, waiting to see just how busy this anniversary turned out to be.

(edited)

Rag Stitch

"... I don't know why Miss Tailor smells like bleach. ... No, I wont tell her to take a bath. ... You know why, she's my boss!" Rag Stitch said to his rag doll while he was sewing up an old dress that someone brought in the other day. This was a normal day for Rag. Sewing up old clothing that ponies bring in as donations, a way to get some bits for their hand–me–downs or just to get rid of old clutter. And as always he was talking to his best friend a rag doll he named, Dishcloth. 

This became a normal day to day thing for Rag about two years ago. He came to New Mane City to see the city that never sleeps. When her heard that he actually thought that everyone in the city did not sleep. During his first few days in the city he didn't sleep for five days, thinking he didn't need to cause of what they say about New Mane City. As he walked though Bucklyn in a sleepless daze he passed out in front of a thrift shop on 5th avenue. 

He was taken in by a the owner. An old mare by the name of Tailor. She took care of him till he was well enough. When she found out he was good at sewing she offered a job and a place to live. Not having anywhere else to go he took the offer. Now he lives in a small studio apartment above the thrift store.

He couldn't be happier.

Edited by Gloomfury

(edited)

Kay Dreamer

The sun hung low in the sky, it's pinkish-orange rays refracting pretty colours over Kay Dreamer's coat as she wandered down the avenues of Manehattan. She looked this way and that, soaking in the ambience of the big city. The sheer size and scope was overwhelming for the little Crystal Pony; buildings spread as far as the eye could see, their multi-storeyed windows gleaming in the sunset. Kay was accustomed to forests and meadows, smaller villages and old cities. There had been nothing like Manehattan during the time of the Crystal Empire. She had been told by many a pony that if Canterlot was the soul of Equestria, Manehattan was the beating heart of the modern age. It had taken her a while to summon the courage to come here. Equestria had changed so much throughout the centuries the Crystal Empire slumbered, and Manehattan was the embodiment of that change. It was frightening yet incredible all at the same time.

Kay Dreamer had arrived late the previous afternoon, her little caravan trundling behind her. The streets of Manehattan were almost terrifyingly busy as she navigated her way into the centre of the city, looking for the long patch of green she'd circled on a large, crinkled map. She eventually found herself before an expansive park, slightly awed by it's size. She set up her caravan in a quiet, secluded spot by a small lake. The tops of the surrounding buildings poking over the trees made for a stunning view.

Having set up her portable home, Kay was eager to explore. She'd need to find the best places to busk if she was to keep herself fed. Her pale leather saddlebags bounced on her back, jingling with an odd array of contents. On one side, two wooden flutes in contrasting sizes poked out from the main pocket. A tinging noise from within hinted at the tambourine which was stowed deeper inside. On the other side was strapped an odd-looking stringed instrument. At first glance one might think it was a guitar but it was rounder, with a pretty pattern over the sound hole. Kay Dreamer had other instruments, of course, and these were safely stowed in her caravan. Her lute and recorders were old favourites, however, and they held a unique novelty for modern ponies. While they were common in Kay Dreamer's time, they were now considered quite rare.

As she neared the riverside, a tempting aroma wafted from a little gated doorway with a neat-looking canopy. It seemed inconspicuous enough, though the line of ponies waiting to get in certainly wasn't. Curious, Kay wondered why exactly so many ponies were lined up in front of one little door. 'It couldn't hurt to take a look,' she thought. Her stomach was grumbling, and the aroma led her to believe it could be a cafe of sorts. Curious, she took a place at the back of the line, slowly moving forward as the guests filed through the little door.

Edited by Kay Dreamer

(edited)

Anala

(and to a lesser extent, Riley)

"Aw, what are you saying? We're not gonna see each other for ages?" said Riley, following Anala.

"Sorry, Rye. It's not my fault I was the only one to get an invitation," replied Anala. "Frankly, I think it would have been better off in your hooves. I mean, whenever you go out in public, which is very often, you seem to come back with at least five new friends. Sometimes I wonder if other ponies see my bow and arrow as a threat..." Anala looked at the sheath wrapped around her belly.

"It's a shame that some people just can't see what a great pony you actually are," commented Riley. "I put this together for you." He held out a miniature saddlebag. Anala opened it up and inspected the contents: an inflatable soccer ball, some perfume, and some cookies.

Anala blushed in gratitude. "Thanks, buddy."

"See ya!" said Riley, spreading out his wings as he prepared for take-off.

"Later, Applehat!" replied Anala.

Riley chuckled at the nickname before he took off. In mid-air, he stopped, turned around, and waved, before setting off.

Anala would occasionally tease Riley with the nickname 'Applehat' ever since an incident in their childhood where Anala had tricked Riley into letting her shoot an apple off his head with an arrow.

She trotted over to a queue. Whelp, I guess this is the place.

@@Kay Dreamer

She joined the back of the queue, standing right behind a green unicorn with a messy brown mane. Her saddlebag contained many different types of instruments. Wooden flutes, tambourines, something that sort of looked like a guitar...

Anala went wide-eyed. "Kay? Kay Dreamer?"

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

(edited)

Scribblegroove had entered the building as one of the first guests. In all honesty, he wasn't really a guest. He was one of the musicians that would perform here. After all, he was the canterlot sensation when it came to jazz. If he were to pay a visit, he might as well do a surprise performance. The moment he got inside he scanned the room for a familiar face. He was looking for one in particular. Once he spotted him, he approached Java to announce that he had arrived slightly early. He did so quickly, as he knew he would be quite busy in a moment, so it would be best to talk to him now.

@@Wolfe

He smiled at Java as if he were an old friend, even though they had only met recently. “Congratulations with your fifth year anniversary Java!” He said to get his attention. “I do hope there will be many more years to come… I hope you don’t mind me coming a little early. I’ll enjoy myself ‘till 9 P.M.” He said.

He looked around the building and spotted the stage. But that was not the only thing that occurred to him. Everything looked like it was built by someone who knew what he was doing. This was a structure that was made exactly for what it was housing. It made it all look quite professional. Scribble liked that.

“Quite the impressive place Java, has it always been like this or have you rebuilt parts of it throughout the years?” He asked the proud owner of the establishment. His ears perked up at the music. Naturally, it was jazz, what else to expect. But this was a tune he recognized. ‘The Jive Five, interesting choice…’

Edited by Scribblegroove

(edited)

Java had already acquainted himself into his station, already getting orders and combos left and right. His hooves pulled out bags of beans, ready to be blended in the machines laid out for him. He never got as many orders as a typical night, but it was fun every time. The strong smell escapes the bag as a hoof dives in to scoop some beans. They dive down into the grinder, where a whirring speeds up. Solids become powder as the blades slice-and-dice the beans into a better ingredient to be used. Java gets the brewers ready with water and flavorings over on the side.

There is a bit of a step as he moves about, tapping a hoof on a particular beat or trumpet that pierces his ear drums. Java's head bobs up and down with the sound of his father's band playing in the background, setting a moment in motion for this piece of history for The Brew. His ear also catches one voice that calls to him, one that tips his ears up and away from the preparing coffee.

@@Scribblegroove,

He turns his head away from the brewers and notices Scribblegroove calling out to him. “Oh, thanks a bunch, Scribbs. You don’t mind me calling you that, do ya? And yeah, I’d love to see this place go on for as long as it can. Heck, maybe even longer than me.” Java’s tone sounds very laidback and friendly, just as he always it toward others. He gives a single chuckle to himself. “And naw, it’s fine coming early. Besides, there’s a lot of fun to be had tonight, especially for a Jazz player like yourself.

He turned a quick eye back to his station, making sure nothing burned or spilled over while replying to Scribblegroove. He replaced one bag of beans for another, starting up another process for another order all over. While he did his thing, Scribble asked him about The Brew’s set up. He responded as he kept his eyes and hooves preoccupied with his procedure.

Well, when I first got this place, it wasn’t exactly a done-deal. The place was empty, but needed renovations to accommodate what was needed. A wall being opened up here, a wall being put up there, and the place would be as fit as a fiddle. Mind you, my ol’ pop gave me some… architectural advice for set-up.” He looked up giving a small chuckle and smile right at Scribble. “Since he was typically traveling, dad noticed what was good and bad about certain venues. Things likewalls reflecting the sound’ or ‘ambient lighting setting the mood.Took a lot of it to heart, and to be honest, it made sense as a pony who listens to Jazz and Smooth Jazz a lot.

He pointed up above him on a nearby wall, noting an end of a gramophone sticking out of it, but not the portion containing the record. “That’s one of the speakers for this gramophone system someone installed for us. My pop knew a guy in the audio business and pulled some strings to get this system in here. I don’t know how exactly it works, but we’ve got the gramophone out in the back playing our records, but the audio goes through the walls out to every gramophone end in the place. It was another thing my pop knew would be a good thing for the place. Ambient music when there’s no one on stage.

He looks back up toward Scribblegroove after sorting out another pot to burn. “Mind you, the speakers aren’t needed for live performances. Acoustics are good enough on stage to project the sound out to the audience. I’m sure everypony’ll hear you loud, clear, and with a tappin’ tune in their hearts and hooves. Oh, by the way, you want a cup of joe? It’s on the house.” He lifts a clean cup from under the counter to try and goad him on.

Edited by Wolfe

(edited)

@@Wolfe

Scribblegroove listened, watching Java keep himself busy throughout their conversation. It looked like he was perfectly synchronised with his station, heaving around bags of beans and preparing brews for several ponies at a time, remembering what goes where and exchanging orders. It was quite remarkable how well organised everything was, while everything seemed one big mess at the same time.

“He’s playing his own instrument right there… Never thought of it like this, but everypony is playing an instrument when you  think of it.” He thought. He remembered what Bentwing had told him a few days ago.

“When you play, you need to be able to disconnect from what you are doing completely, and let feeling take over. Some people call it a creative trance, but it is actually just routine. A very complex routine indeed, but it remains a routine nonetheless.” And Java was executing a routine as well. A complex routine… but a routine nonetheless. And even talking throughout all of it.

He listened to Java explain the place a bit more, making him a little more acquainted with everything. He was genuinely interested with the gramophone structure he was talking about. He wasn’t too familiar with audio technologies, since most of the things he did were in conjunction with magic. Perhaps he should have a look into it a bit more…

When Java asked him if he wanted a cup of ‘joe’, Scribblegroove doubted himself for a moment. He decided to be honest, hoping not to upset Java. “I don’t drink coffee very often, so I don’t know what I’d like. It would be a shame to just order something bland when one of the best brewers offers you a drink on the house, so…” He looked around to see if he saw something he liked, but he decided to let Java’s creativity decide for him. “Surprise me! I'll have anything you think I'd like.”

As he was talking with Java, he listened to the music that was hiding behind the chatter of other guests. He was analysing it. After all, as a composer it was his job to keep training his ears. He also tried to compare the sound that the gramophones produced to what a live performance would sound like. He tapped along with the beat. It was quite an ejoyable tune.

Edited by Scribblegroove

(edited)

Kay Dreamer

Kay Dreamer shuffled forward as the line progressed, drawing ever closer to the door. She began to hear faint streams of music drifting from the entrance which, when combined with the rich and alluring scents she had noticed before, had her immensely curious. 'Just what is this place?' she wondered. She was about halfway through the line when a familiar voice broke through her daydreaming. Flicking her head around, her eyes met those of a white and grey mare, her mane and tail bunched into familiar tight braids.

"Anala?" Kay said, somewhat in shock. After a few seconds, her face broke into a huge grin. "ANALA!" She threw her hooves around the mare in a tight hug, taking care not to stab herself on the archery equipment Anala carried with her everywhere. "How are you? I can't believe you're here! That is, I know you said you live in Manehattan but I didn't expect to actually find you, not in a city this... this... large!" Kay was giddy with excitement. "I've only just arrived here. You must show me some of the sights! If you have time, of course. I'd dearly love to try riding in one of those 'ferris wheels'." Kay giggled, recalling the first time she'd heard of the contraption. It had sounded rather terrifying, though she'd since looked at photographs of them and decided they didn't seem too bad. "Although, I really ought to try earning a few bits first," she said. "I've heard Manehattan is a great place for travelling musicians. There's this beautiful park across from the hostel I'm lodged at, it's absolutely enormous and full of ponies at all times. I may spend some afternoons playing there..."

Kay's voice trailed off as she noticed she was standing at the top of a flight of stairs leading down into a warm, cozy-looking underground area. The aroma drifting up from it suddenly struck her as familiar. She'd smelled it once before, when a group of Saddle Arabian dignitaries visited the Crystal Empire. They had bought with them a strange sort of ground bean which, when pressed in hot water, created a dark, rich brew. She'd been a filly at the time and, after drinking three cups, found herself incapable of sitting still for the remainder of the night. She'd ended up falling asleep on the stage quite abruptly in the small hours of the morning, collapsed against the Saddle Arabian bard she had been performing with. 'Qahwa, they'd called it,' she thought, as she trotted down the stairs. She believed it was now called 'coffee'. She'd noticed it was often served at various cafes on her travels, though she usually drank tea. The brews served at regular cafes never smelled nearly as enticing as this.

The warm, dim atmosphere of the club left her blinking in no small amount of surprise. There was music emanating from... somewhere. Kay's sensitive ears pinpointed it to a few gramophone cones stuck in the walls. She was rather sure she'd never seen a gramophone work quite like that, though, as she'd readily admit, she didn't understand how they worked anyway. The acoustics of the room made the music seem like it was coming from all directions at once though, a fact she was quick to appreciate. 'This is obviously a venue designed with music in mind,' she thought. She looked around, soaking in the ambience. The music, which featured the strange and exciting harmonies and rhythm she'd come to recognise as jazz. The smell, which brought back old and dear memories. The candlelit tables and soft lighting, which made her feel comfortable and relaxed. She could hardly believe she'd changed upon a place so fantastic when she noticed a certain pale brown unicorn standing at the bar. She turned to Anala and nudged her, hard.

"Is that who I think it is?" Kay pointed across the room. "It couldn't possibly- it IS!" She almost galloped across the room, skidding to a halt a few inches shy of hitting the wood of the bar. "Scribblegroove? I can hardly believe this, first Anala, now you! Is it normal for Manehattan to conspire that old friends all meet each other within days of arriving?"

Edited by Kay Dreamer

(edited)

Anala

@@Kay Dreamer,

"Oof!" said Anala as Kay pounced over and hugged her. She could see that Kay was being cautious of the archery equipment. That was one of Anala's fears: somepony getting injured because of her equipment.

"How are you? I can't believe you're here! That is, I know you said you live in Manehattan but I didn't expect to actually find you, not in a city this... this... large!"

"Me neither. When you say to somepony 'I'm sure we'll meet again,' you don't usually mean it. Glad to see you, Kay!" replied Anala.

"I've only just arrived here. You must show me some of the sights! If you have time, of course. I'd dearly love to try riding in one of those 'ferris wheels'."

"Well, now that we once again fit the size limit," Anala giggled as she recalled that flower with the power of miniaturization, and the adventure that had followed. "I'd be happy to! I'll be sure to get Riley to come along, and you two can get acquainted. And I'd love to hear some of your music. I'll be sure to book a seat!"

Anala took in the aroma of coffee. It seemed to be coming from a downstairs underground area. Kay entered it, and Anala followed, having a craving for coffee. It'll go well with those cookies.

Anala gazed around the room, her ears taking in the old-fashioned, pleasant music. "Is that one of those gramophones my grandfather always used to tell stories about?" The music wasn't the only classical thing. The tables had candles over them.

@@Scribblegroove,

When Kay nudged Anala, she saw why. There was a familiar brown unicorn stallion at the bar.

Getting rather excited at the second familiar face, Anala galloped alongside Kay, eager to greet Scribblegroove. But she wasn't quite as cautious as Kay, and ended up ramming into the wood.

Noticing that one of her arrows had made a visible hole in the wood, Anala sidestepped over to it to try and block it.

"Hey, Scribbles. How have you been?"

Time Scribe

Time had been sent to this cafe by the Manehatten Paper, they had an article organised on the night of the 5th Anniversary of this place, and since Time Scribe was totally new to the town and needed some good old tourism. They had decided to send him over and get info for the article, which could possibly be a very thoughtful action or the kind of action you made when you had a newbie on the team. 
Time didn't care right now about it though, as he was enjoying himself completely with the Jazz playing and the comfortable atmosphere. 

He didn't know a lot about Jazz, though of course he always made a habit to learn new things, and with music at least have a basic understanding of all kinds of music. He could recognize the clear use of the jazz chords and key signatures with the play of the instruments, and the rhythm was beautifully syncopated. 
He did notice the sound system the Cafe had in place though, and had made a small note on the gramophones in his notepad. The sound came out amazing from where he was sitting, and the old Jazz coming through on the low volume just increased the lovely atmosphere. 

Time was just noticing new things left to right, the cafe seemed quite busy with load of ponies coming in through the massive line he saw when he himself came in. He had a special pass to cut the queue, but he had come early so he wouldn't have to use it. This was his first job in Manehatten, and he wasn't going to just throw it away and loose the experience of it. 
The ponies behind the counter were quite busy with their orders, Time hadn't ordered himself something yet, but then this was a coffee place and he wasn't one for that blend. He had a very quiet chuckle at that, he was such a canterlot pony sometimes. Maybe he would have a quick look when the queue for coffee had calmed down, he could possibly try some of the coffee. A taste test would probably be needed in the article he had to write, which reminded Time to write a few more things in his notes. 
His horn glowed as he picked up the metal quill he had, being in a relaxed position as he wrote. He felt like he was going to enjoy his time here. 

(edited)

@@Scribblegroove,

“I don’t drink coffee very often, so I don’t know what I’d like. It would be a shame to just order something bland when one of the best brewers offers you a drink on the house, so… Surprise me! I'll have anything you think I'd like.”

A smirk forms on Java's muzzle after hearing those words. "Then I'll come up with something that's smooth, sweet, and salivating to the soft tongue behind those lips. I got a brew to keep your throat warm and your body energized; something that'll make you jump in delight." He turned around to eye the wall of assorted coffee beans, deciding to pick out not one, but 3 bags at once. With a bit of a scoop, he took out a lesser amount from each bag and actually put all three varieties into the blender. A crunching, whirring sound escapes the blender while Java's back hoof taps to the beat of the tune, something so familiar, so second-nature to him.

@@Kay Dreamer,

@,

"Is that who I think it is? It couldn't possibly- it IS! Scribblegroove? I can hardly believe this, first Anala, now you! Is it normal for Manehattan to conspire that old friends all meet each other within days of arriving?"

When Kay nudged Anala, she saw why. There was a familiar brown unicorn stallion at the bar.

Getting rather excited at the second familiar face, Anala galloped alongside Kay, eager to greet Scribblegroove. But she wasn't quite as cautious as Kay, and ended up ramming into the wood.

Noticing that one of her arrows had made a visible hole in the wood, Anala sidestepped over to it to try and block it.

"Hey, Scribbles. How have you been?"

A pale green pony came running toward the coffee bar, right next to Scribblegroove. A bit of a shine on her coat and mane led Java to believe that she was a Crystal Pony. "Scribbs, I never knew you had a gem of a friend, such as her." He gave a light 'hmph' as a sort of laugh for his silly pun and turned toward the new pony. "And friends meeting up is something that regularly happens here in Manehattan. While the city is big, you're never too far from a close heart. You just need to be on the right street is all..."

Another white coated pony came rushing in with bow and arrows strapped onto her back. Java heard some light thud hitting the wood, though his facial appearance never changed toward her, nor did his tone alter. After listening to Jazz and Smooth Jazz for a while, he acquired a tune for the small things in compositions, something as soft as a light bell, to something possibly deliberate as a cowbell or breathed flute sound, and the arrow (unbeknownst to Java) was no exception to his keen hearing. "And another Scribbs? You sure you're not more popular than you think you are?"

He stopped the blender, opening the casing to reveal different shades of brown and black mixed in its powdery form. Scooping up the contents, he laid it out in another brewer, filling it up with water, and turned up the heat to pressure a steamy black brew. He kept an ear onto the 3 in front of him while he attended to some of the other coffee pots and brewers that were completed in their heated concoctions, ready to make them more complex, appealing, and delightful.

Edited by Wolfe

(edited)

Scribblegroove had been watching Java a little bit absentmindedly as he listened to the music that the gramophones were producing. He then changed his attention a little to the crowd, looking for something interesting. Perhaps more new audio technological contraptions? This place was full of surprises. He tried to imagine it with a roof made of glass. How amazing would all of it look if they could look up at the night sky from this cozy environment. But he guessed it wouldn’t do very well for the acoustics.

@ 

Then he spotted a familiar mare. He had to dig in his memory. The red mane... the slender build. The lean pose. Then he realized perhaps this place had some bad surprises as well. He recognized scarlet somewhere off in the distance, apparently working here. He frowned and tried to think of a reason why she'd be here.

@@Kay Dreamer 

His thoughts were interrupted by a green pony, who ran into his field of view and completely surprised him. He yelped in shock and almost fell over, not expecting somepony to address him out of nowhere. When he found stable footing he saw that it was actually Kay Dreamer. He was surprised twice over now, and what had just happened was a little embarrassing, but he remained cool. "Kay! Heh, deja-vu, you truly have the tendency to sneak up on me." He said, referencing the moment they first met. A situation which was very similar to this, except that back then he had fallen into a pond.

@

Not much later Anala approached the two of them. He smiled at them. "You were the last ponies I'd expect to meet here!" He said. It wasn't exactly true. He was secretly still a bit disgruntled by seeing Scarlet. His memories of her weren't too happy, and he had hoped he would never have to see her again. He glanced in the direction he had previously seen her, but he couldn't find her anymore. He shifted his concentration back on their conversation. "How long have you been here then? I've been here for about a week now. Stuff with the conservatory. Things have been going great for me! I am currently staying with an old gryphon concert pianist called Bentwing Zephner. He recommended me to Java, and tonight I'll be performing here!" He said with an excited tone.

"But what makes you guys come to the big city? I never thought I'd find you here! We should consider meeting up more often, there's so much to see here." He asked the two of them. He quickly turned to Java. "These are old acquaintances of mine. We've experienced quite the adventure together, but we split paths when we concluded it." He explained to him. "That both of them storm up on me surprises me as well. I guess I'm just good with the ladies." He added jokingly. 

He sighed. The environment was great. Java had decorated it perfectly. To him this felt like a place he would return to happily. And now he had even met some old friends, which would make it all even more memorable. The atmosphere was less to Scribblegrooves liking. A little bit too humid and warm. But that was something he could ignore. It all reminded him of a large recording studio. With the same amount of isolation, and an entire orchestra of sweating ponies it could heat up just as badly. He shook his head to get his mane out of his face, something he did fairly often. After all, he never really attended to his appearance. Something he really considered changing now that he was becoming a performer.

Edited by Scribblegroove

(edited)

Anala

@@Scribblegroove,

Still keeping a hoof in front of a fairly deep arrow-induced hole in the wood, Anala replied, "Heya, Scribbles! It's been a while, hasn't it?" She grabbed his hoof just so that she could give him a brohoof.

"These are old acquaintances of mine. We've experienced quite the adventure together, but we split paths when we concluded it."

"Oh, you bet we had an adventure," Anala reinforced to Java. "I could tell you all about it, but we'd be standing here for a while, 'cos I'd be talking about how awesome I was!" She looked at Kay and Scribble sheepishly. "Of course, it was a group effort. But still, I did punch a giant snake (well, giant to us anyway) in the face. That's a memory I won't soon forget."

She looked at her ever-faithful bow and arrows. "Of course, these gems came in hoofy too." She ran a hoof against the equipment. "Mama's so proud of ya."

She unzipped her saddlebag, reached into it, and tore open the bag of cookies. "Anyone care for a cookie?" she asked. "There's no shrinking curse in it, I swear," she added with a chortle. She looked at Scribblegroove. "We gotta explain that inside-joke to your friend here, Scribbs."

(edited)

Kay Dreamer

Kay Dreamer laughed at Scribble's reaction to her (admittedly surprising) entrance. "Sneaky is the last thing most people call a Crystal Pony," she teased. "Most ponies see us coming from a half-league away. It's great to see you again, though!"

At the barista's lighthearted comment Kay spluttered momentarily, before dissolving into giggles. "Oh, that was good. I don't think I've ever heard that one before!" She tried to compose herself somewhat, but the silly grin at having run into so many friends so quickly wasn't going away.

Kay chatted away happily to Scribble as Anala skidded over to them, trying not to laugh at her rather clumsy skid across the floor. She was fascinated by his mention of a Griffon pianist, but she couldn't help rolling her eyes dramatically at Scribble's last comment. "Good to know stallions haven't changed at all in over a thousand years," she quipped, but her smile and teasing tone of voice made her good humour obvious. "I'm Kay Dreamer," she said to the barista. "And this is Anala," Kay motioned to her friend, happily accepting the cookie she offered. "Pleased to meet you! I would tell you how we both came to meet Scribblegroove, but it's the sort of story you need a good few bottles of wine for."

"I only arrived here yesterday afternoon," she said, turning back toward Scribble as she munched on the cookie. "It's about time I braved Manehattan, after all... I was just wandering around looking for good spots to busk when I came across this place." She waved a hoof in the direction of the lute hanging at her side. "I don't know how long I'll stay yet, but as long as you and Anala are here it'll probably be a good few weeks. I can hardly believe I've run across both of you in the span of five minutes!"

Kay was excited was Scribbles suggestion of the three of them meeting up for excursions together. "Oh, oh! I'd love to visit a fairground," she clapped her hooves together in excitement. "May we? Pleeeeeease? It'd be a great place to play some music, and I'd love to try riding in those enormous cart-things with the hilly railroad tracks and the big swirling teacups, and eat candied cotton... It all sounds marvellous." 

Edited by Kay Dreamer

Rag Stitch 

As Rag got closer to finishing sewing up the dress, Tailor went into the back and fond him at work when it was his day off. Even though Rag liked to work Tailor wanted him to have time for himself. So she told him to go out on the town for the day. Rag thought it couldn't be to bad so he agreed. He put on his bags, put Dishcloth in her carrier and slung it around him. After getting his house keys he head out to wonder the city like he always did on his days off.

He hailed a taxi and asked the pony to take him near the large park in Manehattan. The pony nodded and rushed off. Rag Stitch like taking the taxi, sure he like walking too. But even he gets tired and when he want to go somewhere that is a long walk he takes a taxi. He loved watching the large building go by while he relaxes in the seat, He even like hearing the pony pulling the taxi yell at other ponies to get out the way. But the thing he liked most was going over the bridges, he could look out to the seemingly endless water.

As he got closer to his destination He asked the driver to stop. He wanted to walk around the upper part of Manehattan before going to the park. He's only been the lower half so he wanted to the the rest of it a little. He payed the taxi pony and head of to wonder. As he got around to the east he walked though a shopping and eating area. 

When he was walking past a cafe he could hear music playing. Rag really liked listing to music, it didn't matter what kind it was. When he heard the smooth rhythm he couldn't help but be drawn to it. He walked into the coffee shop and smiled when he could hear the music louder. He looks up to the stage and doesn't see anyone playing. But he could hear the music coming from everywhere.

Not wanting to get a headache from trying to figure it out, he tried to think of something else. He looks over to the counter and sees a few ponies ordering things to drink. From the smell he could tell it was coffee. He didn't like coffee, not after the first time Tailor got some for him. But he was getting thirsty. 

@, When he saw a red maned mare who didn't look too busy, he walked over to her to see if he could get something that wasn't coffee.  Always the shy one around ponies, but mostly mares, he was a little nervous talking to her. " E-excuse me, d-do you have anything that isn't coffee?"

((Sorry to be tardy to the party.))

(edited)

Anala

@@Kay Dreamer,

"Pleased to meet you! I would tell you how we both came to meet Scribblegroove, but it's the sort of story you need a good few bottles of wine for."

Anala chuckled. "I don't care how insane it might sound; it was one of the most epic adventures I've ever embarked on. So if you don't tell him, I will."

Kay Dreamer appeared to be excited at Scribblegroove's suggestion of meeting up more often.

"Yeah! We should totally do that! Perhaps I can teach you guys to shoot! Being an Earth Pony, I had to practice a fair bit before I could stay upright on two legs."

She lurched backwards and stood on her two hind legs to demonstrate. "But you two are unicorns, so you could hold the equipment with your magic."

"Kay does seem pretty bent on going to the fairground. When do you wanna do that?" Being her own boss, she could take a day off whenever she felt like it. She smirked at Kay. "It's called 'cotton candy', by the way."

Anala then realised she was getting pretty thirsty. She rapped her hoof on the bar. "Yo, barkeep! A pint of ale over here?"

Scarlet.

Scarlet had been listening in: as she always did. It was part of her job to know the customers, whether it was officially noted or not. Good business meant knowing who you did business with after all.

"Why would you even... this is a coffee place. Coffee is kind of... you know, what we do?" She stated incredulously, eyeing the customer with mild confusion. "Ugh, give me a minute, and I can mix up something... still beats me why you'd come to a place like this if you don't like coffee. Guess I can mix up something with chocolate instead? Maybe with caramel and cinnamon... or the strawberries go pretty nicely... Oh, and it's six bits for a regular, eight for a large."

As she spoke, the sour-faced mare went about snatching up various glasses and utensils that would be needed - eager to try her hoof at something that wasn't just 'coffee' for a change... despite her tone.

Still listening, she overheard something that made her snort in amusement: a mare just a few steps further along, rapping on the counter demanding service. Not that she would have laughed at this normally - it was actually rather rude - but the demands of 'ale' and the medieval weapon that she seemed to be carrying around seemed to lend to the idea that this girl must by quite mad... at least the pony that Scarlet was serving actually seemed to recognise that he wasn't in some archaic tavern.

@@Scribblegroove,

Java chuckled as Scribblegroove explained himself with an attentive ear. He eyed his hoof movements around the hot pots and the mugs and cups that awaited their cargo. Steam lifted into the air from the falling coffee, filling the station with stronger scents of blends and beans than had already been established. One mug was of a light brown color, while another was pitch black, and several more were of shades in between. He grabbed a pitcher of thick cream as the light green mare spoke.

@@Kay Dreamer,

"Oh, that was good. I don't think I've ever heard that one before!" 

He gave a light smile as he continued to work while Scribble conversed with his friends. He poured the thick cream over the coffee in a slow and methodical way, creating waves of white within the mug. With a small straw, he pulled it through the waves to create a leafy sort-of look and left the straw within it. "Caesar's Delight, looking for shade," he called out, aiming for one of the servers to pick up the ready cup. Another black brew was among the set of coffee, and he simply set it right next to the first mug, adding no other sort of condiment or flavoring. "Bitter Reunion, waiting for his ex," Java exclaimed out. A third was of a light brown color, ready to experience some mixture of another kind. A small container was revealed, allowing ground cinnamon to fall into the bubbling brew. Another small straw was dropped into the mix as he used it to stir while he poured a good portion of sugar, blending the sweet and spicy within the strong coffee. "Devil's Advocate, seeking the other side," Java hailed as he moved the mug up to the counter.

"I'm Kay Dreamer and this is Anala. Pleased to meet you! I would tell you how we both came to meet Scribblegroove, but it's the sort of story you need a good few bottles of wine for."

He looked up, showing courtesy to the newer arrivals here at The Brew. "Pleasure's all mine. The name's Java Blend, owner and top brewer around these parts and son of the famous sax player and member of the Jive Five, Smooth Blend, but I don't like to brag," he modestly responded, "and I'd be happy to listen to a good tale one of these days."

@,

"But what makes you guys come to the big city? I never thought I'd find you here! We should consider meeting up more often, there's so much to see here." "Oh, oh! I'd love to visit a fairground! May we? Pleeeeeease? It'd be a great place to play some music, and I'd love to try riding in those enormous cart-things with the hilly railroad tracks and the big swirling teacups, and eat candied cotton... It all sounds marvelous." "Yeah! We should totally do that! Perhaps I can teach you guys to shoot! Being an Earth Pony, I had to practice a fair bit before I could stay upright on two legs. It's called 'cotton candy', by the way. Yo, barkeep! A pint of ale over here?"

As they spoke to each other, Java turned again to look at the remaining cups, sprinkling some sugar here, cream there, salt here, another flavoring there, and called out their names aloud when they were prepped and ready to be served. He kept an ear up while looking at Scribble's pot, which tooted with steam that escaped from the lips. "Well," Java stated as he poured the mixed brew into the mug, "Stallion Island is your best bet if you'd want to find a good park to have fun at. Just take a south-bound train over to Stallion Island." He stopped when Anala requested for a pint. "Well... we don't really offer any sort of ale here. Coffee, food, and other drinks sure, but not ale, wine, or other alcoholic beverages. Typically, we get the drunks coming in here asking for a cup of coffee to somewhat pull them out of their buzz. I guess you could say we're not on bar with other places." Java offered another light chuckle to his silly and horrible pun.

"However, since you two are friends of Scribbs over here, I can offer a cup on the house for you two mares. And if so, any preferences of flavor?"

Turning back down to the mug filled with Scribble's coffee, Java pulled out another pitcher with regular cream, pouring a very small portion into the mix. A pinch of sugar was added as he mixed the brew together. He put away both pitchers of think and regular cream and pulled out a 3rd pitcher from below containing warm sweet tea. Java layered a very small dab of the drink into the coffee and blended it all together with a small straw. The brew was black, then creamy brown, and now a lighter brown, now that everything had mixed together.

"Passion of the Player, awaiting it's next tune," and with that, Java settled the drink in front of Scribblegroove, letting the new smell pierce his nostrils, anticipating his mouth to engulf the mixture of strong and sweet in bliss. The brewmaster had always been questioned of his ingredients time and time again, but questions were typically answered from 'mmm's' and 'wows' from the interrogators, unless the blend wasn't to their tongue's preference.

(edited)

Kay Dreamer

"Cotton candy, candied cotton," Kay sang, waving a hoof flippantly. She was so accustomed to saying new words and phrases wrong that she barely felt embarrassed by it anymore. "You know what I mean." She looked from Anala to Java excitedly. "Stallion Island? I believe I've heard of it... From what I'd read, isn't there another island nearby with a new fairground named after Princess Luna? Um, oh, what was it called... Poney Island! That was it!" She was nearly bouncing with enthusiasm, throwing her arms around Anala and Scribble. "May we go there? Pleeeeeeease?" She smiled brightly at Java, calling over to him as he busied himself with orders. "You should absolutely come too, if you have time! I guess owning a place like this must keep you fairly busy."

At Java's offer of a free drink, she sniffed the fragrant air deeply. "So this drink is indeed called 'coffee' now, correct?" she asked, not wanting to use the wrong terminology twice in a matter of minutes. "In Old Equestria, it was a rare Saddle Arabian delicacy. They called it by a different name. It seems very common now, but everything I'd seen seemed like a pale imitation the real thing." She breathed in deeply once more, shivering in delight. "This does not seem like a pale imitation. It smells just how I remember..." Her voice had become quite soft now, as it often did when she spoke of her life in the past. "I'd love to try some, Java. Do you have anything from that region of the world?"

Edited by Kay Dreamer

(edited)

Anala

@@Wolfe,

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

"Well... we don't really offer any sort of ale here. Coffee, food, and other drinks sure, but not ale, wine, or other alcoholic beverages."

Anala just sat there. "Oh... awkward. So, it would be a terrible idea to rush over to the store, and sneak back in here with a discount bottle of ale?"

"However, since you two are friends of Scribbs over here, I can offer a cup on the house for you two mares. And if so, any preferences of flavor?"

Anala licked her lips. "Ooh, that sounds great, thanks! I hope I'm not going overboard here, but I'd like my coffee with... hm, let's say... whipped cream? And some marshmallows, perhaps?" She made sure to pepper her language with (insert word here)s in order to butter Java up.

She smiled at the group as they put forth their ideas. "Well, make sure to tell me whenever you plan to go out somewhere! We're a group, after all."

She turned to Java again. "Hey, buddy. If you think your pun was bad, just listen to this."

She cleared her throat as she prepared to tell her story to the group.

"Back when I was just a filly, Riley and I had had so much fun toilet-papering houses on Nightmare Night, that one time, we decided to do it at school. Of course, we let quite a bit of time pass between them, so as not to look suspicious. We got to school waaay before everypony else, and we must have managed to cover at least half the building's interior. But just as we were doing a certain classroom, we heard hoofsteps. Riley told me to hide behind the desk, and I did, then a teacher came in, and Riley got marched off to the principal's office."

"I listened in the whole conversation. They told Riley that there was no way he could have caused so much mess on his own, and that he must have had an 'accomplice', and that if he didn't let them know who it was, he'd be cleaning up the entire mess by himself. But he still refused to tell them. So I guess you could say he..."

She paused before uttering the punchline. "Took the 'wrap' for me."

Scribblegroove listened with an amused smile on his face. It was good seeing these old friends again, and just listening to them made him feel great. It was good to know that you had friends in this world, especially friends like these. He heard Kay exclaim, in her trademark over-excitement, that she desperately wanted to visit a fairground.

"Come now, Kay. You aren't going to tell me you out of all ponies want to ride a rollercoaster? It's basically a train with a nausiation factor that lies about ten times higher than your average trainride." He said with a scoff, expressing his cynical disbelief at Kays sudden dedication to visiting a fairground. 

"But I suppose we could go and see one. As long as we have the time and money, though it shouldn't be a big deal. I have funds from the conservatory. I'm sure they wouldn't notice that I spent some of the money on trivialities..." He thought out loud. Being a significant student of one of the few conservatoires that are actually out there had it's positives.

"However, I was aiming at something somewhat more sophisticated. I wanted to show you the local conservatoires recital hall. Professor Zephner has given me the keys, and it's not used that often. It has loads of instruments and great accoustics. Perfect for muscicians like us." He explained. "We can go to the fairground as well though..." He ran his hoof across his hair and flicked his ears around a bit, something he did quite often. He raised a brow at Anala mentioning that she would teach them how to shoot a bow and arrow.

He laughed. "Are you kidding? Can you see me fire a thing like that? I have the coördinaiton of a 5 year old when it comes to stuff like that. I always sucked at sports. If you're up for teaching a hopeluss student, be my guest!" He said. His attention was drawn at Java, who was finishing up his steaming cup of coffee. He raised his eyebrows. It didn't smell like any coffee he had had before.

"That looks amazing Java. It's amazing to see you make all this. Brewing coffee can be a true passion I suppose. Never thought of that." He said as he brought his head to the cup, letting it's aroma fill his nostrils. He could smell it was somewhat strong, but he wasn't quite sure. It didn't look very strong. It wasn't black.

While he was analysing the wide scala of different smell sensations he forgot to pay attention to the conversation. Suddendly Kay hugged him, and he was brought slightly into confusion about that. He immediately saw that it was Kay going on about the fairground again. He smiled and picked up the cup through magical levitation. He took a small sip from the brew.

It was hot. Very hot. Not a very experienced coffee drinker, Scribble hadn't anticipated it. Luckily he had only taken a small sip from the cup and hadn't burned his tounge immediately. He quickly swallowed. As soon as the liquid had found it's way down to his stomach, he opened his eyes wide. The figment of a taste it had left behind on his tongue was simply amazing. He looked at the cup and sniffed it again. He couldn't draw any conclusions from its smell. He was olfactorily clueless.

He brought the cup to his mouth again and softly blowed on the brew, hoping to cool it down a little. Then he took another sip. This time he could let his tongue bathe in the fluid without hurting himself. The taste was not only great, but it was constantly changing. The moment he thought he could categorize it within 'sweet', he could taste the bitterness of it. He swallowed and let the hot concoction warm his stomach. Already now he could feel the caffeïne induced energy.

"Wow Java, this is... This is really good. I've never tasted anything like it! I'm definately going to recommend you to evepony. Who wouldn't want a taste of this!" He complimented the brewmaster. He looked back at his two companions. "Well, I'll be here for  a few more weeks anyway, perhaps even months. I will have loads of time..."

He thought for a moment, and then frowned. "Hold on... No I don't. I've got a crazy amount of assignments to do... But I guess I'll have some time... I hope." He said, doubting himself more and more by the second, visualising all the things that he still had to do. He took another sip from his cup of coffee and let it inspire his thought process. He would have to work in a tight schedual to make it all work.

Rag Stitch

@

Rag was still feeling nervous. "I'm s-sorry. I was mostly drawn her by the music. I just don't like coffee. It's too bitter for me. I like things that are sweet. I'm sorry for being a bother to you miss. I really am." He said as he hid behind the counter with his eyes and the top of his head showing. He hated causing trouble and being a bother to others. He was also always quick to apologize and put himself down.

He looked around to see if he was creating a line or being a nuisance to anyone else. He lets out a relived sigh when he saw no one was behind him. He goes back to watching the read maned mare work. Then he remembered that she asked him what size he wanted. "A-and could you make it regular?" He takes out the six bits and placed them on the counter. Then he added four more. "H-here's four more for the trouble." Then he added three more. "A-and your tip." He didn't really mind giving away so much bits. When he gets them for working he couldn't think of anything to use them on so he has plenty to spend. 

He puts the bit back back in his saddle bag and hides most of his face again.

(edited)

@@Scribblegroove,
@@Kay Dreamer,
@,

"Stallion Island? I believe I've heard of it... From what I'd read, isn't there another island nearby with a new fairground named after Princess Luna? Um, oh, what was it called... Poney Island! That was it! You should absolutely come too, if you have time! I guess owning a place like this must keep you fairly busy. I'd love to try some, Java. Do you have anything from that region of the world?"

"Aside from maintaining stock and running the place, it can be fairly busy, yes," Java nodded at Kay. "However, I can consider joining you folks out on a day of fun. Just know that if I come along, I'd probably be joining you in the afternoon. Gotta keep my sleep cycle in check, since this place opens at 8 and closes at 4 in the morning. And as for your coffee..." He turned around to observe his stock laid out in front of him and everypony. Java pulled out 3 bagged variants of Saddle Arabian coffee and set them on the bar top. While he eyed them to decide which one would be more akin to the classic that Kay had tasted, Kay could observe each bag and sniff the varieties, if she so chose to. After picking up the 'oldest', Java laid a number of the Saddle Arabian beans into the grinder for preparation. "I'll keep it as classic to keep the nostalgia."

"Ooh, that sounds great, thanks! I hope I'm not going overboard here, but I'd like my coffee with... hm, let's say... whipped cream? And some marshmallows, perhaps?"

"Sweet stuff, eh? I can do that." Java replaced the Saddle Arabian bags back and pulled out another that immediately came to mind. "This assortment's good around Christmas time, works as an alternative or replacement for hot chocolate, though it doesn't scream hot chocolate either." The beans worked their way into another grinder while Java looked under the bar top for the necessary sweeteners and assorted condiments as he listened to Anala's story. He chuckled when she reached the punchline. "I guess that Riley fellow was a bit bittersweet about the whole thing?"

The song playing ended and a bit of static filled the air as someone in the back changed the record to a new disc. A saxophone immediately claimed attention as it made its abrupt entrance into the airwaves and starting a smoother song for the audience to enjoy. (Music: Greg Chambers ft. Paul Brown - In The Pocket)

"That looks amazing Java. It's amazing to see you make all this. Brewing coffee can be a true passion I suppose. Never thought of that."..."Wow Java, this is... This is really good. I've never tasted anything like it! I'm definitely going to recommend you to everypony. Who wouldn't want a taste of this!"

Java Blend brought himself above the bar top to look at Scribble's elated face. "Anything can be a passion if it drives your soul or puts a step in your hoof. Ain't nothing that nopony can't do if they love it. And I'm glad you enjoy it. I had a feeling you'd enjoy it. It's a special brew for performers, musicians, and so on. I've tinkered with it for a while, and I've gotten more positive reviews of it as I've gotten closer and closer to perfecting it. My dad thought it was a hoot, and a good number of other ponies love it as well. Don't be surprised if you don't feel tired or sore after playing a full set on stage." Java's head bobbed to the sound of the saxophone playing in the background. The ears peeled back in a relaxed fashion and he trotted in a loose fashion as he readied a few more orders that had come in.

Edited by Wolfe

(edited)
Anala

"Aside from maintaining stock and running the place, it can be fairly busy, yes. However, I can consider joining you folks out on a day of fun. Just know that if I come along, I'd probably be joining you in the afternoon. Gotta keep my sleep cycle in check, since this place opens at 8 and closes at 4 in the morning. And as for your coffee..."

Anala watched intently as Java placed the various assortments of coffee, sweeteners, and add-ons on the counter. The ingredients were all so plain and simple on their own, but if one blended them together, they would have a drink that was simply luxurious. Anala began to drool, but she sucked it back in just in time to stop it from dripping on the counter.

"I guess that Riley fellow was a bit bittersweet about the whole thing?"

Anala chuckled. "Yup, I guess you could say that. Anyway, later on, I just felt kind of selfish. So a couple days later, I snuck in and finished the job for him. I just couldn't stand the thought of him having a..."

She grabbed a nearby mare's salad and held it up. "Full plate."

The mare snatched it back, shoved Anala, and stormed off back to her table.

"I was just borrowing it for my punchline, okay? No harm done!" Anala called to the mare.