Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G3 vs. G3.5

RainbowMau

11 users have voted

1. 1. Your favorite Generation 3?

• G3
    • G3.5

(edited)

OK, we may be agree that both of My Little Pony's G3s weren't as plotly rich as G1 and FiM were, but which of them would you think was better or less worse? (depends on your opinion)

Let's take in count some points:

G3

Pros

- More songs than G3.5

Cons

- Repetitive character design

G3.5

Pros

- More varied character design

Cons

- Less songs (I guess)

Both

Pros

- More colorful than it's previous generarions

- Catchy opening (personally my favorite)

Cons

- Again: Really simple plots limited to very few conflict and everything easily solved

- Too short episodes

Edited by RainbowMau

I can't choose either. I've watched some of both and found them alright, though inferior to G4. They're not too bad though and make interesting viewing for someone mostly bought up on G4.

That's like choosing between cancer and...well a...slightly different kind of cancer.

^This This! THIS THIS!

That's like asking me if like for my eyes to see splashed with alkaline acid, or getting my eardrums popped and most likely my head aswell with a hot needle, full of hydrogen and oxygen.

What is the difference exactly? I have heard of 3.5, but never knew of the difference between it and G3.

(edited)

What is the difference exactly? I have heard of 3.5, but never knew of the difference between it and G3.

One is the regular version of the show, while 3.5 is like a chibi form of the show...and more creepier.

Edited by TheDarkMysteryMan

One is the regular version of the show, while 3.5 is like a chibi form of the show...and more creepier.

AHHH, I think I remember now. I believe G3 was the version where the world was less like the modern world that G2 was, while 3.5 was those direct-to-video releases that were amazingly cheap?

I think I stomached through one of those. While it wasn't the most horrible thing I saw, I have no recollections about rewatching it ever.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

AHHH, I think I remember now. I believe G3 was the version where the world was less like the modern world that G2 was, while 3.5 was those direct-to-video releases that were amazingly cheap?

I think I stomached through one of those. While it wasn't the most horrible thing I saw, I have no recollections about rewatching it ever.

Tales is G1,not G2.G2 didn't got a TV show,it was focused more on toys.

Just mentioning since some do the confusion,hope you dont mind ^^

Edited by NinjaPomeranian
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly,G3 had the best theme song in my opinion.

I prefer G3 over G3.5...dunno.I just like it more

and G3.5 Scootaloo scares me :unsure:

If Tales is G1, then where does the '80s series figure in? That wasn't My Little Pony Tales...

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm I'm not totally sure, I would though that for me, I would choose G3.5 over G3, just b/c G3.5 looks to be sort of evolving into G4, and I have to admit that yes, G3.5 does look a little creepy (and their necks are too skinny lol) but, they still don't look bad, they're kinda cute but, they def needed some improvement and thankfully they got that with the last couple generations! As well as the last Gen getting some much needed improvement. Also, G3.5 kind of reminds me of G3 and G4 combined in a way, it has a new and old look all at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Tales is G2! And believe it or not, Tales did have it's own toys! They just didn't sell in the US.

G1 is My little pony n' friends, the original My Little Pony.

Edited by 80s Pony

Tales is G2! And believe it or not, Tales did have it's own toys! They just didn't sell in the US.

G1 is My little pony n' friends, the original My Little Pony.

Tales did have toy and they didnt sell in the US,I know that.I'm pretty sure that Tales is G1,the MLP documentary state that MLP G2 didn't got a TV show

I'm sorry to reply to your argument twice, but two shows cannot be "G1 as well" MLP Tales was a spin-off of G1, so it's considered G2 or G1.5.

I meant G1.5,my bad .Sorry in advance^^;.  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

Tales did have toy and they didnt sell in the US,I know that.I'm pretty sure that Tales is G1,the MLP documentary state that MLP G2 didn't got a TV show

I meant G1.5,my bad .Sorry in advance^^;.  :blush:

It's okay. But yes, toy wise, G1.5 is the correct categorization because it was a spin-off of G1 and a completely different TV show. :)

(edited)

If Tales is G1, then where does the '80s series figure in? That wasn't My Little Pony Tales...

My Little Pony n' Friends and My Little Pony Tales are both technically G1. The 'gens' refer to the toy line, not the show, and both shows occurred during the G1 toy line. I usually put My Little Pony Tales as G1.5, but that's not a common term yet.

Both shows were made by the same animation company (Sunbow). The real difference was that My Little Pony n' Friends was produced by Marvel, as part of the deal they had with Hasbro for the rights to Transformers and G.I. Joe. Something changed with respect to the deal, and Hasbro bypassed Marvel and went directly to Sunbow when it came to the 'new' series of My Little Pony Tales. It's possible the differences between the two series are related to what rights Marvel retained when Hasbro bypassed them.

EDIT: The G2 toys (only sold in Europe) didn't start production until after My Little Pony Tales ended.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 3

It's okay. But yes, toy wise, G1.5 is the correct categorization because it was a spin-off of G1 and a completely different TV show. :)

:) . And well,is nice to see a fan of G1 on there,I love that Generation  :wub: . Who is your favorite pony from G1? :D

My Little Pony n' Friends and My Little Pony Tales are both technically G1. The 'gens' refer to the toy line, not the show, and both shows occurred during the G1 toy line. I usually put My Little Pony Tales as G1.5, but that's not a common term yet.

Both shows were made by the same animation company (Sunbow). The real difference was that My Little Pony n' Friends was produced by Marvel, as part of the deal they had with Hasbro for the rights to Transformers and G.I. Joe. Something changed with respect to the deal, and Hasbro bypassed Marvel and went directly to Sunbow when it came to the 'new' series of My Little Pony Tales. It's possible the differences between the two series are related to what rights Marvel retained when Hasbro bypassed them.

EDIT: The G2 toys (only sold in Europe) didn't start production until after My Little Pony Tales ended.

I honestly had assumed that the shows generations were counted differently from that of the toys.

Going by what you say I assume there was no G2 cartoon then?

I honestly had assumed that the shows generations were counted differently from that of the toys.

Nope. That's why people talk about G3 and G3.5, because they're both technically in time-line of the G3 toys, but there are significant differences between the two with respect to the animations. What makes G3 more complicated is that there wasn't an actual 'show' for G3. All the animations are one-shots that were either specials, or packaged on mini-DVD-like things along with the toys, and the toy line itself was being messed around with thanks to something called the 'Core 7' initiative. So the shift from G3 to G3.5 is a lot more vague. The big difference I found was that the pegasi suddenly all shifted to butterfly wings in G3.5 animations, and the character of Cheerilee changes from a Unicorn to a regular pony, but the toys didn't change so it's a bit confusing.

Going by what you say I assume there was no G2 cartoon then?

Nope. Though there were European comic books for G2, apparently.

• Brohoof 2