Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Oldest of Mane 6? Rarity?

Cirrus.

(edited)

So I've recently been thinking about the Mane 6's ages again and basing it on things in the show. I've come to the conclusion that Rarity is somewhere between 23-26.

She has a business in a small town recognized by a major celebrity. A business takes some time to get going. It doesn't seem like her family is rich. She was also an adult at Sweetie Belle's 5th birthday (5-7 show years ago). There is a much bigger age gap between her and Sweetie Belle than Applejack and Big Mac. She's always just seemed a little older to me.

img-2754696-1-post-24370-0-69222200-1403

My full post on The mane 6's and others' ages is here:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/161-how-old-do-you-think-the-ponies-are/?p=2751991

So do you guys agree? Or who else is the oldest of the group and why do you think so?

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Fluttershy. She's the most motherly, and she's canonically a year older than Pinkie. Assuming the rest are all the same age, that puts her as oldest (yeah, it's a huge assumption, based on not much, but it at least has some canonical basis).

Actually. Given "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", all the Mane Six looked the same size, except for Fluttershy. So it's not such a stretch to consider them all the same age and Fluttershy older. Huh.

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

I'm fairly certain the oldest is Fluttershy. As Sunny Fox said, Fluttershy told Pinkie Pie she was a year older than her in an episode. Take a look at these screenshots from "Cutie Mark Chronicles". Fluttershy definitely looks the oldest

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 4

I've always thought that Fluttershy was the oldest. We already know she's a year older than Pinkie and she was significantly taller than the rest of them in Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Although Rarity certainly acts like the most mature... most of the time, anyway. :D

(edited)

I'm fairly certain the oldest is Fluttershy. As Sunny Fox said, Fluttershy told Pinkie Pie she was a year older than her in an episode. Take a look at these screenshots from "Cutie Mark Chronicles". Fluttershy definitely looks the oldest

img-2754754-1-maxresdefault.jpg

She was older than the other mane 6s when she got her cutie mark, but I don't think these flashbacks happened at the same time.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

She was older than the other mane 6s when she got her cutie mark, but I don't think these flashbacks happened at the same time.

Um.... yes they did, that was the whole point of the episode. It was filly Rainbow Dash causing a Sonic Rainboom that led to ALL the Mane Six getting their cutie marks. All the flashbacks were of that one event.

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 4

Um.... yes they did, that was the whole point of the episode. It was Rainbow Dash causing a Sonic Rainboom that led to ALL the Mane Six getting their cutie marks.

Oh...

Yeah...

I forgot about that.

My bad :P

• Brohoof 2

i think its either rarity or fluttershy. mostly leaning towards rarity because she is the most mature character. but maturity doesnt always equal age

also it could be fluttershy because of that one comic where pinkie was going on about fluttershy being really old (but are the ibw comics even canon?)

Even if Rarity was 24, she would look different during Sweetie Belle's younger birthday and I would attribute the lack of a younger model to the animators not wanting to create one. There seems to be no older adolescent model between foal age and adult age. So she could be older but there is nothing concrete to prove that this is certainly true. And I don't think that Fluttershy's unique model referenced above is any indication of age compared to the rest of the ponies.

Even if Rarity was 24, she would look different during Sweetie Belle's younger birthday and I would attribute the lack of a younger model to the animators not wanting to create one. There seems to be no older adolescent model between foal age and adult age. So she could be older but there is nothing concrete to prove that this is certainly true. And I don't think that Fluttershy's unique model referenced above is any indication of age compared to the rest of the ponies.

Sure, but Pinkie definitely stated (in "Griffon the Brushoff") that Fluttershy is a year older than her. So we can assume that her unique model is a reflection of the difference in their two ages. Then extend that to the observation that the rest of the Mane Six looked more like Pinkie than they did Fluttershy, the conclusion to be drawn is that they are the same age. Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation that fits the observed facts is that they are all the same age. Until there is some evidence that they are different ages, it's the strongest theory.

Sure, but Pinkie definitely stated (in "Griffon the Brushoff") that Fluttershy is a year older than her. So we can assume that her unique model is a reflection of the difference in their two ages. Then extend that to the observation that the rest of the Mane Six looked more like Pinkie than they did Fluttershy, the conclusion to be drawn is that they are the same age. Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation that fits the observed facts is that they are all the same age. Until there is some evidence that they are different ages, it's the strongest theory.

I simply wonder about that model and what it was meant to represent. I think it was meant to represent her being different than other ponies and that is put into place by her being unusually taller for her age but since older Fluttershy does not look like that anymore and I mean unusually tall then she was either older than the other ponies or she matured unusually quick, even before Rarity which should look more mature than Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. I think only the writers would know. Fluttershy is the oddest out of the ponies when it comes to knowing maturity level. She lives alone with no parents around but she is anti-social and perhaps afraid of living with other ponies so we can't install a sense of adulthood in her like we can with Applejack or Rarity or Twilight. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are probably younger. Pinkie has no home of her own. Pinkie does odd jobs but does not own her own business. Dashie does work for Ponyville and probably rents her house. We don't know what Twilight does to earn money which means she is wealthy or that she is assigned tasks in previous seasons to do and she lives as a historian or researcher. So in conclusion, if Fluttershy's older model is representative of age then she is the oldest followed by Rarity, Applejack, Twilight, Rainbow Dash and lastly, Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 1

I have to go with Fluttershy. While Rarity & Applejack act older, Fluttershy looks the eldest, & I usually go by physical appearance over mental as, while growing up, people said I acted like an adult but I still look much younger than my soon-to-be-18 appearance. However even if I went with maturity in terms of how they act, I would say Applejack would be the eldest. This is because, while Rarity lives & works on her own, Applejack does quite a lot more hardwork than Rarity & takes over an entire farm in one episode. This in its own right is a huge show of commitment & adult attitude in the situation, & this is a much bigger show than Rarity has ever done. I am not saying Rarity hasn't done a lot, but Applejack has just done more in my opinion (sorry Ghostie  :P )

The Mane 6 all seem to be pretty close in age, but Fluttershy to me always seemed the oldest, because of her personality and how she seemed to be more physically grown compared to Rainbow Dash in Cutie Mark Chronicles. Rarity might be second oldest.

Actually in the comics we get to see teenage ponies:post-24783-0-43457700-1403192763_thumb.png

Personally, there have been many debates over this, so I can tell you, from my point of view that Fluttershy is the oldest, then Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie.  Yet other opinions differ. 

BTW, i want to point out, as a friendly reminder, since this thread looked too familiar.......your thread was moved to here: How old do you think the pony's are?  In addition, as another friendly reminder, don't re-post duplicate thread that was either removed or deleted.  So most likely this one will be locked down.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I always saw Rarity as being one of the older members of the mane 6, but I think they'd all between the ages of 21 - 24 in human years, and Rarity would either be 23 or 24 - as opposed to Fluttershy, who I'm pretty sure would be 24. I can see her being the second oldest of the mane 6, but not the oldest, no.

Of course, just something I'd like to point out - 

img-2754696-1-post-24370-0-69222200-1403

We don't know if Rarity was an adult there - there was no indication of that other than character design, and, keep in mind, we've never even seen a teenage pony before, so for all we know, they could look very similar because of that.

Even still, 26 is definitely a reach in any case, even if she were an adult there. I can see her being 24, maybe on the early side of 25 with age progression, but far from 26 :D

Edited by A ghostie Makusu2

I always saw Rarity as being one of the older members of the mane 6, but I think they'd all between the ages of 21 - 24 in human years, and Rarity would either be 23 or 24 - as opposed to Fluttershy, who I'm pretty sure would be 24. I can see her being the second oldest of the mane 6, but not the oldest, no.

Of course, just something I'd like to point out - 

We don't know if Rarity was an adult there - there was no indication of that other than character design, and, keep in mind, we've never even seen a teenage pony before, so for all we know, they could look very similar because of that.

Even still, 26 is definitely a reach in any case, even if she were an adult there. I can see her being 24, maybe on the early side of 25 with age progression, but far from 26 :D

You just don't want your waifu to be an old woman as long as possible, & we all know it ghostie! ADMIT IT!!

• Brohoof 4

Due to new information from The Journal of the Two Sisters and the episode in question, I am forced to rethink the ages of the mane six.

It's a safe bet that Rarity is older than most of her friends.  She did say she was rather late in getting her cutie mark, and she's the second tallest in the Cutie Mark Chronicles flashbacks.  Fluttershy might be older, but she could have just hit a growth spurt sooner.

Rarity is the oldest at 24. Applejack is 24. Fluttershy is 23. Pinkie and Twilight are both 22. Rainbow Dash is the youngest at 21.

Rarity would definitely be the oldest.

For Applejack, she was a G1 pony, G1 was introduced in 1982, the difference in that and now is 28 years, G4 came out 4 years ago, subtract that from 28 and you get 24.

It's said that Pinkie is a year younger than Fluttershy, so there's that.

I see Twilight as being the same age as Pinkie for some reason.

In Pinkie Pride, there were 21 candles on Dashie's cake, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say that she is 21.