Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there other races in the Apple family?

RainbowMau

MLP Wikia says that the Apples are an earth-ponies family, but these two pics make me doubt:

20121223021858!Start_of_Raise_This_Barn_

La_familia_.jpg

There are Pegasi (and Bon Bon for some reason) and a unicorn in the second one.

So, is Apple family multi-race after all? :P And for the race debate: Does this mean that other races can be farmers too?

• Brohoof 2

Well, eventually someone is going to breed with a race other than earth pony.

And unicorn/pegasus genes could be recessive, so there could have been a couple unicorns way back in a couple family lines, and even though two earth ponys bred, they gave birth to a unicorn.

Or the apple family just just massive, and that is why cloud chaser and bon bon are there. Or they were bored and just showed up in shot.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Some of the ponies probably just fooled around a bit. It's no big deal, I'm sure they could be farmers too.

It'd be curious since the present ones were in theory on board in the carriage when it crashed the barn.

Edited by RainbowMau

I always headcanon'd the Flim Flam bros as distant relatives, and the AFR pic in the OP would suggest that there're other non-earthies who've somehow joined along the line too. Only makes sense, really. With a family that big, somepony falling in love with a unicorn or a pegasus somewhere along the line would be inevitable.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bon-Bon, Cloudchaser, and Blossomforth were probably photobombing. :lol: That's what I think. I'm sure the apple family are all earth ponies

(edited)

Well are are pretty much a Earth pony family however likely some did end up as unicorn/pegasi by ponies down the past (if you know what I mean) but mainly earth ponies 

however they could also have offspring with a unicorn/pegasi liking taking birth to unicorn/Pegasus in return it may be rare to find other races however it is possible. 

Edited by Everleaf

It stands to reason that a few pegisi and unicorns would marry I to the family. Not every apple needs to be a farmer either. Even if they were, I'm sure a Pegasus or a unicorn could still help on a farm with flyin for magic.

• Brohoof 1

It's more than likely. After all, there's no rule that says the Apple Family is strictly Earth Pony-only. And it wouldn't matter if there was. Surely, at least one pony would have gone "Romeo and Juliet" over a non-Apple Family Unicorn or Pegasus.

And not all Apple Ponies have to be farmers. What about cider-makers, cowboy clothes-makers, apple-sellers, builders, barn-makers, hat-makers, lumberjacks for the aforementioned barns?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Nah, they just ran out of Apple Family members, so they asked the other background ponies to fill in the missing positions... XD

Edited by Benigno Aquino III
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well for the pegasi pony, thats actually Cloudchaser, shes from Cloudsdale so I doubt shes an apple family member, they probably used her to fill space and probably Bon Bon was used to fill in space as well. As for the filly unicorn who knows? It might be an animation mistake, or indeed there could be other races in the Apple family. 

If you remember the Baby cakes episode:

Mr Carrot Cake and Ms Cupcake are earth ponies, but their children were born pegasi an unicorn, because Mr Cake ´s  great-great-great-great grandfather was a unicorn, and Mrs Cup Cake's great aunt's second cousin twice removed was a Pegasus. So that could be an option, maybe there were some ancestors which were those races.

This is actually a great topic of discussion you´ve brought here.

Edited by PinkieAlliPie

• 5 years later...

I'm going to agree with what a lot of people are saying. There is no apple family rule saying that marrying non-Earth Ponies is prohibited. So most likely a couple members of the apple family  fell in love with Pegasi and Unicorns. And then, some of their children were non-earth ponies. That's what I think this is all about.

(In the top pic, a few of those ponies were just random background ponies thrown in.)

• 5 months later...

Oh god.... I just had a horrible idea that the Apple family was racists. >_>

Good that there are some Pegasi in there! But what about unicorns?

My guess is that even if you are an "Apple", you still only choose to be a farmer is you are born an Earth pony. Else, you might leave to other places, but still keep in touch with the Apple family? Everypony gotta do the job they're born into (their "destiny").

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Sugar Belle is in the family, there very well may be a unicorn later on. I know that the child we did see from her and Big Macintosh is an earth pony but maybe his genes will create a unicorn.

4561A0E4-8706-4942-A7BD-04FC0245BC63.png

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

No, there ain't. We all know it because we know what kind of barn in Sweet Apple Acres is. It's...

Well of course it is - it's purpose is to keep the cows out of the house. But what's that got to do with marrying other kinds of pony?