Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming [Mario Kart 8] Favorite / Least Favorite Tracks

Gardepede

So, it's been a few weeks since Mario Kart 8's launch. Now that we've had a chance to experience all of the new tracks and updated retro tracks, what are some of your favorites and least favorites? My personal favorite tracks are Mount Wario, Rainbow Road, and DS Tick-Tock Clock. Each of these tracks are extremely technical and feature many cleverly hidden shortcuts or opportunities to overtake your opponents. My least favorite tracks are Mario Circuit, N64 Toad's Turnpike, and N64 Rainbow Road. All three of these tracks are incredibly straightforward and lack any sort of shortcut opportunities. Toad's Turnpike is especially frustrating due to the high volume of traffic that reduce the effectiveness of items, which is the only way to catch the lap leaders since there are no effective boosts or shortcuts anywhere on the track.

My favorite is the one in the clouds followed maybe by moo moo meadows just for the soundtrack.  I used to love the older rainbow road tracks, especially snes and n64 and they might be my favorites of all time, but I'm not a fan of the ones in this game.  The remake of rainbow road from n64 is so short

My favourite has to be Piranha Plant Slide. There's lots of drifting, speed and action. Those three things are what makes stages fun for me.

As for my least favourite, Rainbow Road. My expectations were too high after how amazing Mario Kart 7's rainbow road was. I loved it for all the reasons I loved Piranha Plant Slide, except multiplied by 10. Plus the stage design was so fantastic, drifting across the rings of saturn was such a cool idea!

I don't know what my favorite really is... I like the one in the clouds. Lol. Mount Wario is really neat, too. However, I tend to do the best on DS Tick Tock Clock and SNES Donut Plains. I really am not sure why, but I come out on top a lot with those two. Sunshine Airport is pretty good to me, too. lol

Ones that I really dislike from how they've played out for me... Dolphin Shoals is always one I struggle with. As is Rainbow Road. The way the game works, if you get behind in that one, you stay behind... And then there's the cursed Toad Harbor. Such a simple little track, but it always gets me. It's that shortcut over the boat... I always tend to get knocked off course right before the boost arrows, making me have no choice but to drive straight into the water. >.> Then earlier today I somehow made it to the boost arrows, but they failed me and I somehow came up short of the boat (even though I was at full speed and launched straight in the center)! I HATE that track. It's cursed, I tell you!

My favorite new track is the Electrodome, especially because of the part it splits up. The scenery and music is also really good.

For the retro tracks it would be a tie with Tick-Tock Clock and DK Jungle. I like the constant drifting and the scenery.

My least favorite new track would be the Dolphin Shoals course. I can win on it, but I never seem to do particularly well on it.

The retro track I can't stand would probably be the Dry Dry Desert course because I don't like how the drifting feels on it.

(edited)

I happen to love Mount Wario! ^_^ My least favorite Track is probably Grumble Volcano. It looks really cool and is fun, but I just was never really fond of it. It's much better than the Wii original though. That I definitely hated. This time it's more "meh."

Edited by Felix

Faves:

Sunshine Airport

Electrodrome

Cloudtop Cruise

Bowser's Castle

Moo Moo Meadows

Toad's Turnpike

Donut Plains 3

Music Park

Rainbow Road (N64)

Though really: mostly very happy with the track selection.

Least faves:

Anything ice or desert lol.  Unless I finish first, then I don't mind.

• 4 years later...

Mount Wario, baby! The three section structure works perfectly in laying out a challenging and interesting map. Genuinely one of the best tracks in the series.

Least favourite is Mario Circuit. The one in 8 is somehow even more vanilla and bland than all the others.

I hate Baby Park, and I hate everyone who chooses it online. As if Mario Kart 8 isn't already luck-based, that track is pretty much purely luck-based and I hate playing it online.

• Brohoof 2