Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been shunned or made fun of due to your sexual orientation?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

So let's go back about 4 months ago when I thought was straight.

I had a Christian group of friends that hung out with me.

They were my best friends and they have been for years.

They would always stick up for me no matter what .

Or... that's what I thought.

Last month I decided that I was bisexual do to the fact I found both guys and girls very attractive.

I decided I would tell my friends because I trusted them the most out of anyone I've ever known.

What I didn't know was that all my friends were VERY homophobic.

When I told them, they looked at me in shock and disappointment.

They looked at me as if I just killed they're dog or something like that.

Instead of saying, "that's ok. your sexual orientation is your choice" they just walked off without a word.

I tried calling some of them, but to no avail.

There's also no doubt in my mind they've told other fellow students in my class.

Towards the end of the year I was getting weird looks from people.

Three weeks ago I had to cry myself to sleep.

I had lost all my closest friends and I had become an outcast.

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

I don't believe bisexuality is a sin though.

So has anypony had similar situations?

Edited by Emerald Starlight
  • Brohoof 14

Last month I decided that I was bisexual do to the fact I found both guys and girls very attractive.

I decided I would tell my friends because I trusted them the most out of anyone I've ever known.

Instead of saying, "that's ok. your sexual orientation is your choice" they just walked off without a word.

There's also no doubt in my mind they've told other fellow students in my class.

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

I am so, so sorry such an experience happened to you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I have not been through anything like that, being straight. But if you ever wanna chat, I'll be your friend! :D

• Brohoof 2

I am so, so sorry such an experience happened to you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I have not been through anything like that, being straight. But if you ever wanna chat, I'll be your friend! :D

Thank so much!

I really do need someone to talk to.

It seems allot of my friends have been offline lately.

• Brohoof 2

Thank so much!

I really do need someone to talk to.

It seems allot of my friends have been offline lately.

Feel free to PM me anytime. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

I agree with Destiny. No one deserves this, and it's not like you did anything wrong. I'm also Christian, and I agree with you- there's really no "Being gay is wrongz!!" stuff in the bible that applies to us. My inbox is forever open to you. :)

As for my experience...um, none really. I guess I'm straight, but maybe? See, I don't care much for what's on the outside- personality is what matters to me. I've only really crushed on one person, and he's a boy, so I just assume I'm A. Straight or B. Haven't met the right girl yet. It's not something I think about often. :P

Edited by derpicornsunite
  • Brohoof 3

Christianity. You got your Catholics, your protestants, your orthodox, your 'loose with the rules' type of people... 'Christian' is a very flexible title. If you want to call yourself a Christian, then you can.

I told my older sister and my parent's that I'm bisexual, and they're okay with it; but I've yet to tell my friends. I can't tell for sure if they're homophobic; but then again, I live in Alabama. As idiots say before they die, YOLO.

I reached out to another bisexual on this forum who was nice enough to read my messages and offer advice. If you want reassurance, you can always come to me. :)

• Brohoof 1

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

Woah, dude, that's just so wrong D: If you ever need someone to listen for you, please, message me. When I became an atheist it was a lot like how you were treated, so I know how you felt. Yes, I am an atheist. But I don't care if you are a Christian, cause a friend in need is a friend indeed (yay Pinkie Pie reference, lol)

• Brohoof 1

Heterosexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality have this in common: none of them are inherently wrong or immoral.  There are homosexual Christians (despite the homophobic nonsense in the bible and some - obviously not all - Christians who blindly regurgitate it), and I see no reason a bisexual individual shouldn't be able to continue being a Christian (I mean, if it's still what you believe / what you want).  And people are ignorant, small-minded, and cowardly; I'm sorry your so-called "friends" reacted that way.  People fear what they don't understand or fear what they've been told to fear.  It's too bad they couldn't just take you for who you are - including everything that made them want to befriend you in the first place, which hadn't necessarily changed.

• Brohoof 3

That blows man, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Being straight, I've never had the same experience as you. That said, I DO know what it feels like to find out that your friends arn't the friends you thought they were. In a nutshell, I got cozy with the popular kids in school and felt like they were the best friends I had. It was never because of who I was that they hung out with me, I found that out later. It was really hard for me because it had put all my faith in these people, made myself vulnerable, and they treated it like it was nothing. For a long time, I wasn't able to trust anyone like that again. I still struggle with it, even years after the fact. If I were to offer advice from my experience (and if you react to it the same way that I did), I would tell you to try not to let what happened cause you to isolate yourself from other people. Without really realizing I was doing it, I kept myself away from other people to avoid being hurt again. Doing that brought me nothing but grief. It may be hard to see now, but there are people out there who will accept you for who you are.

As I said, I can't know exactly what you are going through. However, I think a lot of people here and in the brony community can relate to being an outcast. For my part, I'm not very good at it but you can always talk to me if you need to.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

I'm sorry for what happened to you there.Nobody should have to feel this way because they choose to be different no matter what it is.Nowhere in the bible does it say something against different sexuality.

My opinion on sexual orientation: Try to keep religion out of sexuality.Because it seems like it's the reason go against this kind of stuff.If being christian,or any other religion says that you can't be who you are,and be proud of it.Then I dont want any part in religion.

Edited by Fliby
  • Brohoof 1

@,I can't say that i have,but im sorry you're friends were bigoted towards you.

I once had a friend who i found out was bi,but he din't tell me because he thought id hate him all of a sudden and that wasn't the case because he was my true friend,i could care less what his sexual orientation was...I just wish more people wouldn't get so hung up on someone else's sexual orientation.

• Brohoof 1

Well, even though I do not know these kids, I wish to apologize on their behalf. No one deserves to be shunned like that, certainly not for something as simple as what gender they find attractive. I am sorry you had to deal with such a event, and that your so called friends would treat you as such.

I myself have never really been shunned for my sexual orientation, I have made jokes and joke advances on members of the same sex, but I had never received negativity for it.

• Brohoof 1

Heterosexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality have this in common: none of them are inherently wrong or immoral.  There are homosexual Christians (despite the homophobic nonsense in the bible and some - obviously not all - Christians who blindly regurgitate it), and I see no reason a bisexual individual shouldn't be able to continue being a Christian (I mean, if it's still what you believe / what you want).  And people are ignorant, small-minded, and cowardly; I'm sorry your so-called "friends" reacted that way.  People fear what they don't understand or fear what they've been told to fear.  It's too bad they couldn't just take you for who you are - including everything that made them want to befriend you in the first place, which hadn't necessarily changed.

Now that I look back on it, I don't think they were my true friends to begin with.

• Brohoof 2

Now that I look back on it, I don't think they were my true friends to begin with.

If they are going to shun you like dirt just because of something that does not effect them in any meaningful way outside of their own opinion on the matter then yes,id say they perhaps were not you're true friends to begin with...

Sadly i find people are willing to toss friendships/relationships into the fire over the silliest of things  :(

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

"Hope ur not mad at me ......but.............

...................I'm straight :blush: "

-Colleen

tbh I haven't really found myself yet even though I'm in a girl/girl relationship. That might change though since she's out of control and she has ruined my experience of dating anymore girls.

This might sound stupid prob because it is but oh well. I'll accept the replies coming in. :P

Edited by RainbowPastel

I don't care what your sexuality is and I sure don't hate you. I'm coming from a conservative, Baptist home in the deep south and am heterosexual for reference. I do, however, mark your sexuality as as sin but, hey. We all sin. No way around it. In the eyes of God we both stand the same. I'm starting to sound like my grandma's pastor... That aside, you need better friends. A true, true friend (I am bad and I should feel bad. But I don't) may do the stare for a it but they wouldn't sever contact or anything. Personally I can mark that I have two "true" friends that wouldn't care what I did short of selling crack. Just keep being you.

I know how you feel. I've cried myself to sleep more than once. It wasn't from social isolation but I know what degree you're at.

• Brohoof 1

Well I still have my confusions and nothing figured out yet, but when I told my friend about my doubts she listened and didn't judge or anything. Another friend of mine reacted with a bit of shock when I told her I was possible bisexual, but no I have no idea what I am and I'm open to the journey of figuring it out. :)

• Brohoof 1

Your friends could have handled things differently, yes.  I don't blame them for the initial shock, but the things you've described happened (or may have happened) would suggest that they need to go to God some more.

Now, regarding the sexuality thing and Christianity... there are several passages, in both testaments, that refer to acts and yearnings for homosexuality as being sinful.  Here are my favorite Old and New verses on the subject, as written in the Complete Jewish Bible translation:

Old - Leviticus 20:13

13) If a man goes to bed with a man as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they must be put to death; their blood is on them.

New - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9) Don't you know that unrighteous people will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't delude yourselves - people who engage in sex before marriage, who worship idols, who engage in sex after marriage with someone other than their spouse, who engage in active or passive homosexuality, 10) who steal, who are greedy, who get drunk, who assail people with contemptuous language, who rob - none of them will share in the Kingdom of God. 11) Some of you used to do these things. But you have cleansed yourselves, you have been set apart for God, you have come to be counted righteous through the power of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah and the Spirit of our God.

I think your friends were right to disagree with your decision, but were wrong in what to do about their opinions.  If they were truly your friends, especially brothers and/or sisters in Jesus, they should have talked with you, either to help you out of sin or to come to the understanding that it is your choice to make.

Now, as for this being your choice, if you want to do it, then do it.  It's your body, right?  Besides, name any one Christian that hasn't done something that the faith dictates is sinful.  Everyone sins.  With that list of varying sins in 1 Corinthians, I'm guilty of the first thing there (and a few others), and am still paying for it.

If you truly feel that you're a Christian, your sexuality is something that's between you and God.  I don't believe it's anyone's right to act hateful towards someone simply because of what they're attracted to, and this goes doubly for Christians.  (I suppose that last part could be argued against those that like children, but I believe Christians shouldn't hate the sinner in that case, either; only the sin should be hated.)

Bottom line, just be yourself and buck anyone that hates you for it.

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

While I've never been though this kind of situation, I am terribly, terribly sorry for how you were treated by your so-called "friends". Nopony deserves to be treated like that, EVER. True friends would NEVER EVER stoop as low as rejecting somepony because of their sexual orientation. It makes me sad to see that this kind of thing is still happening in our society today.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm asexual and since half of my grade doesn't know what that is, I don't get shunned for it. (If you don't know what asexual means, it's that i'm not attracted to men or women) But I did get into a huge argument with this guy when me and my friends were talking about gay ships, he butted in and said that boys can't be with boys and girls can't be with girls, and I kind of got into a pissing match with him over the fact that being homosexual is perfectly natural and isn't a bad thing. 

I told my friends that I'm 98.5% sure i'm asexual and they're all like "Meh, i'm cool with it". 

Also, I just want to say that I am so sorry for you and that your friends are jerks.

Edited by A Shift Makusu2
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Your friends could have handled things differently, yes. I don't blame them for the initial shock, but the things you've described happened (or may have happened) would suggest that they need to go to God some more.

Now, regarding the sexuality thing and Christianity... there are several passages, in both testaments, that refer to acts and yearnings for homosexuality as being sinful. Here are my favorite Old and New verses on the subject, as written in the Complete Jewish Bible translation:

Old - Leviticus 20:13

13) If a man goes to bed with a man as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they must be put to death; their blood is on them.

New - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9) Don't you know that unrighteous people will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't delude yourselves - people who engage in sex before marriage, who worship idols, who engage in sex after marriage with someone other than their spouse, who engage in active or passive homosexuality, 10) who steal, who are greedy, who get drunk, who assail people with contemptuous language, who rob - none of them will share in the Kingdom of God. 11) Some of you used to do these things. But you have cleansed yourselves, you have been set apart for God, you have come to be counted righteous through the power of the Lord Yeshua the Messiah and the Spirit of our God.

I think your friends were right to disagree with your decision, but were wrong in what to do about their opinions. If they were truly your friends, especially brothers and/or sisters in Jesus, they should have talked with you, either to help you out of sin or to come to the understanding that it is your choice to make.

Now, as for this being your choice, if you want to do it, then do it. It's your body, right? Besides, name any one Christian that hasn't done something that the faith dictates is sinful. Everyone sins. With that list of varying sins in 1 Corinthians, I'm guilty of the first thing there (and a few others), and am still paying for it.

If you truly feel that you're a Christian, your sexuality is something that's between you and God. I don't believe it's anyone's right to act hateful towards someone simply because of what they're attracted to, and this goes doubly for Christians. (I suppose that last part could be argued against those that like children, but I believe Christians shouldn't hate the sinner in that case, either; only the sin should be hated.)

Bottom line, just be yourself and buck anyone that hates you for it.

I often question the validation with some passages in the Bible.

Like, why would it be a sin if it is causing no harm to others?

Also even if it is a sin, I'm saved, so it's not like I'm going to hell for it.

Edited by Emerald Starlight
  • Brohoof 2

That's kind of the story of my life. For long before I even knew I was going to be different, everybody else could see it in me and I was picked on a lot in elementary and middle school. =/ During that whole time I could not understand what they all saw so wrong with homosexuality, anyway. I literally did not even know that homosexuality was considered a 'sin' until I was in the 9th grade (or I think it was almost the 10th grade). (Don't ask me how... I'm not sure. Either I was raised right, or I just dreaded church so much and never paid enough attention to hear any sermon about it)  I always believed hating homosexuality was just another completely irrational prejudice... But make no mistake, I still think that. The religious excuse has never worked for me. It's just that, an excuse.

Of course, it has continued on in my later life. My family has been non-supportive, in a "We're going to pretend you're just fooling yourself/going through a phase" (who knew a phase could last this long?). My sister has gone further and bullied me about it in places where I couldn't even begin to stand up for myself. And it happens at work, too... My workplace has been the first place where I really ran into "holier-than-thou" Christians. I'll leave it at that.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's pretty crappy, I'm sorry it happened. In the end it's probably for the best, you don't need people like that in your life anyway. Maybe now you'll be able to find friends who will accept you as you are.

I, fortunately, have never experienced any such thing, but I've always been really afraid of it. If I had a boyfriend and people made fun of me or looked down on me for it I totally wouldn't be able to handle it.

Edited by James
  • Brohoof 1