Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been shunned or made fun of due to your sexual orientation?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

It's pretty crappy, I'm sorry it happened. In the end it's probably for the best, you don't need people like that in your life anyway. Maybe now you'll be able to find friends who will accept you as you are.

I, fortunately, have never experienced any such thing, but I've always been really afraid of it. If I had a boyfriend and people made fun of me or looked down on me for it I totally wouldn't be able to handle it.

Sometimes getting the "silent treatment" is worse than an insult in itself.

It's like saying "you're a horrible person, therefor I shouldn't talk to you.

Plus, talking behind someone's back is even worse.

While I've never been though this kind of situation, I am terribly, terribly sorry for how you were treated by your so-called "friends". Nopony deserves to be treated like that, EVER. True friends would NEVER EVER stoop as low as rejecting somepony because of their sexual orientation. It makes me sad to see that this kind of thing is still happening in our society today.

Believe it or not, I actually still have hopes for our modern day society.

I'm hoping within my life time, things get bettèr.

Edited by Emerald Starlight

Hey, sorry you had to have that kind of experience. It sucks to lose friends but just remember true friends stick by you no matter what. And they are out there. For every door that closes a new one must open for you to keep moving ahead. Chin up and know you have friends out there still.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes getting the "silent treatment" is worse than an insult in itself.

It's like saying "you're a horrible person, therefor I shouldn't talk to you.

Plus, talking behind someone's back is even worse.

Yeah, I know from experience that it feels really terrible to have someone ignore you because of something you said or did, but I can't imagine what it's like to have someone ignore you because of your sexuality.

Make sure you don't let anyone turn your sexuality into a negative aspect of you, it's your right to be the way you are, and to be happy with it.

• Brohoof 1

So let's go back about 4 months ago when I thought was straight.

I had a Christian group of friends that hung out with me.

They were my best friends and they have been for years.

They would always stick up for me no matter what .

Or... that's what I thought.

Last month I decided that I was bisexual do to the fact I found both guys and girls very attractive.

I decided I would tell my friends because I trusted them the most out of anyone I've ever known.

What I didn't know was that all my friends were VERY homophobic.

When I told them, they looked at me in shock and disappointment.

They looked at me as if I just killed they're dog or something like that.

Instead of saying, "that's ok. your sexual orientation is your choice" they just walked off without a word.

I tried calling some of them, but to no avail.

There's also no doubt in my mind they've told other fellow students in my class.

Towards the end of the year I was getting weird looks from people.

Three weeks ago I had to cry myself to sleep.

I had lost all my closest friends and I had become an outcast.

Am I still a Christian?

Technically, yes I am.

I don't believe bisexuality is a sin though.

So has anypony had similar situations?

This is sad. This is judgement and the Bible says "Don't judge others least you will be judged". You're still a Christian even if you're bisexual. Even though it does state that a man and a women is the only way, it doesn't affect anything. I'm straight and have not been shunned for it. Nor do I plan on shunning anyone different. 

• Brohoof 1

Someone remind me why an omniscient, omnipotent being capable of creating an entire universe on a whim would care what two small apes on a little blue speck of dust do with their sexual organs.

“Once we assume a creator and a plan, it makes humans objects of a cruel experiment whereby we are created to be sick and commanded to be well.” - Christopher Hitchens

(edited)

Someone remind me why an omniscient, omnipotent being capable of creating an entire universe on a whim would care what two small apes on a little blue speck of dust do with their sexual organs.

“Once we assume a creator and a plan, it makes humans objects of a cruel experiment whereby we are created to be sick and commanded to be well.” - Christopher Hitchens

I believe in God on a scientific level.

I don't want to go into detail about it though.

Also, I have different opinions about God.

I did not ASSUME that a divine being started the universe.

It's my descision and I have my reasons for believing so.

I would beg of you not to try to start a religious debate on this thread.

Just because my fellow Christians put me down for this reason, doesn't mean I have to leave Christianity.

Edited by Emerald Starlight
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes and no, I had gay thoughts in my teen years and there were rumors that during that time I was gay but here is the thing I am not gay at least not completely. Interestingly enough the gay thoughts went away after a while and then came back months ago with a vengeance but seem to vary in intensity depending on my mood. At the very least I have some bi curiosity though I lean considerably more toward girls than other guys and might possibly be bi. Either way I am who I am and same with you. It is a shame that your friends reated the way they did, but that is on them.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry what happened to you!Nobody deserves that  :(

I'm a bi and well,so far I just got pass a group of Christians and got to talk to them,they asked about my sexual orientation and I answered...and yeah,they we're literally scared and literally claimed I'm the daughter of Satan or something >_>   

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry what happened to you!Nobody deserves that  :(

I'm a bi and well,so far I just got pass a group of Christians and got to talk to them,they asked about my sexual orientation and I answered...and yeah,they we're literally scared and literally claimed I'm the daughter of Satan or something >_>   

Scare them away with your demon powers.

• Brohoof 3

OP, that's horrible what you went through. God teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves no matter who they may be or who they love. If you're still wanting to go to church, Believe Out Loud has a list of churches that have submitted themselves as safe spaces for LGBTQ people. Just plug in your state and ZIP code.

As for the topic, I've gotten minor flack for being asexual. Not "being kicked out" levels of shunning but more dismissive and patronizing comments. The most common ones are...

- "Oh you just haven't met the right person yet."

- "It's just a phase, you'll grow out of it."

- "You're just scared of sex. Just do it and get it over with."

- "Asexuality doesn't exist. Stop being a special snowflake."

Worst case scenario is hurt feelings and dirty looks from members of the LGBTQ Club that think I don't belong because asexuality isn't a thing.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I often question the validation with some passages in the Bible.

Like, why would it be a sin if it is causing no harm to others?

Also even if it is a sin, I'm saved, so it's not like I'm going to hell for it.

The exact reasoning on why homosexuality is a sin could be debated, but I think a somewhat accurate summary of the various theories I've heard and theorize is that it defeats the purpose and design of why there are two genders.  Men are designed to mate with women, and women are designed to mate with men.  This can be validated by pointing out that God gave Adam Eve (and Lilith, if you believe that tale); he didn't give Adam Steve.

You've made an excellent point about your salvation, and one that many theologians have debated for centuries.  Can someone who's given their life to Jesus remain saved if they continue to live in sin?  Personally, I agree with you that your soul will be eternally saved, but it may be at jeopardy of getting denied, or at least punished.  I think the details are to be worked out by God.

Like I said, it's really up to you, and where you stand with your faith.  If you truly see yourself as a Christian, bring it up to God in prayer, repeatedly, if you must.  Who knows?  God may lay it on your heart to keep being bi.  It may be that many of these passages were intended for health or procreation purposes, and weren't intended to be seen as sinful.  Let God be your guide.

ADD ON!!!  I found this just now, looking for something else.  I think it fits here well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEpavnk7Uw

Edited by Washougal_Otaku
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wasn't expecting to come back to this but I'm here!

Old - Leviticus 20:13 13) If a man goes to bed with a man as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they must be put to death; their blood is on them.

I often question the validation with some passages in the Bible. Like, why would it be a sin if it is causing no harm to others? Also even if it is a sin, I'm saved, so it's not like I'm going to hell for it.

I take the Bible as literally as possible but at the same time take the Old Law or Mosaic Law (Old Testament commands) with a grain of salt. I don't have the time to dig for it now but It says in one of Paul's letters that the Old Law is damning and the New Law is forgiving. He means the old law is so hard to follow you'll mess up no matter what while the New Law, while you'll still sin, can be forgiven. It also that parts Old Law such as sacrifices is null and void.

Such as when Christ was confronted with the women who had committed adultery. The law stated that she was to be stoned. Yet he forgave her. This is why I take the Old Law with a grain of salt. I don't think you should be killed for it or anything.

If you want hard scripture try to find direct translations of old Greek and Hebrew text on the internet or somewhere where they keep that kinda stuff. Modern versions of the Bible mix words and such. Old translations are as close to the original as you can get to what was actually said.

Edited by Firehearted

From one bi Christian to another, my heart goes out to you. I've never had anyone reject me specifically for my sexuality, because I'm closeted for the most part. I grew up in a very conservative, Christian community, so I was surrounded by homophobia/biphobia for most of my life and before I even knew that there was such a thing as bisexuality. I pretty much tried to repress my sexuality from the time I first had an inkling I might like girls till I got to college and felt sort of okay admitting it to myself. I was terrified of anyone finding out because of how negatively people spoke of it. I'm still afraid to tell people, and I'm still not entirely okay with it. It's just a really sucky situation to be in. The good thing is that there are Christians that are more accepting out there. The church I started going to at my college is pretty LGBT-friendly. Finding accepting people is the tricky part, especially if you're stuck in a community where anything other straight is looked down upon.

• Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, I actually still have hopes for our modern day society.

I'm hoping within my life time, things get bettèr. 

I too have hopes that our society will become more open minded and friendly towards those who are different.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest yes, I walked into a gay bar with a girl actually that is all I am going to say. True story.  I would alsomlike to add that I didn't now it was a gay bar at the time so I didn't intentionally insult the people inside.

(edited)

People can get to be judgmental about me being poly, but others who know the lifestyle are very supportive. 

How else do you stay happy with a bisexual partner? Everyone's happiest if you just let them be themselves~

Edited by LightningMana

• 5 months later...

Ooh..... I'm doing everything in my power to not get really mad at your "friends" right now... 

I was raised Christian (I'm not anymore. It didn't fit me very well), and even as a Christian I didn't understand why being gay/bi/etc. was bad. Everyone told me it was bad because the bible said so. It didn't explain why, but it said so, so we couldn't argue with it. 

No. No... it's love. God IS love. So how can any kind of love be a sin?? 

You rock on and keep being your awesome self. *hugs* 

As for the question..... no one's ever made fun of me, but I tend to confuse people all time. A lot of people don't know what asexuality is. And since I don't take sexual things as seriously, I have a tendency of accidentally leading people on without even realizing I'm doing it. Only afterwards do I think to myself, ".... oh.. ohh no.... they're gonna wanna bring it up all the time now. They're gonna think I'm all sexual. What have I done...." 

And when you try to explain it to people, they look at you in the same way someone might look at you when you try to teach your average middle schooler a random advanced trigonometry problem. >.>'

In advance, sorry to anyone this may offend, but I hate very strictly religious people. By that I mean the people that would rather give up on their entire lives than stop following their religion and the beliefs behind it. I also find most mainstream religions to be run by people who don't really care about the meaning of their religion, but of a high title they might have (Yell at me about religion meaning more than that, but from what I see, it's reasonable)

I think that some people just cling too much to the farmiliar, and anything else can cause anxiety, which is often channeled into other emotions (hate, resentment, fear, etc.). Even if someone you were very close to started doing something you thought was wrong, attempting to see from their point of view (or them yours, if possible) would be a better thing to do than just abandon them. To tell the people that left you that they did something wrong would accomplish nothing, but to learn from their actions, to keep you from being like them is a perfect use of the situation. 

Someone once told me that WD40 and Duct Tape could fix anything, but I think compassion and understanding could fix plenty more.

They have their beliefs too. Did you practice or follow Christianity/whatever denominatiom with them? Having once been very religious, I understand it's not so easy for them to say "it's your choice and that's fine", but if I were the head of things, I would probably say we would just have to work with you being that certain sexual orientation, and still be friends. It would be a blemish for them on you. My belief is that which gender attracts you... Isn't a choice... Or well, I'm not sure, but if it isn't, then why would and should you be punished and excluded for something you can't control?

Back in middle school, people asked me if I liked girls, and I said '"no" since I was asexual, which led people to believe I was gay, and people always bothered me with it... Bleh.

Edited by JingleWolf
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not sure if this person is asking for advice, but this topic was started over 6 months ago, so...

Anyway, nope, I'm 100% straight so I've never been made fun of. :wacko: At the same time, I don't think it's good to "shun or make fun of" people with a different sexual orientation, although they probably have (religious) reasons why they feel that way.

• Brohoof 1

Just a quick update.

I posted this about 4 or 5 months ago when I was going through a mid-life crisis.

At the time I was actually confused about my sexuality and I thought I was bi.

But now I'm ok.

I'm just a straight guy who never wants to have sex.