Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of this social networking idea?

BronyPony

I don't think I have posted about this before, but I have a bad memory so anyways...

I have a new social networking idea that involves using images of the Earth. The idea is images of the Earth from the ISS will be used to update a community "map" or globe which will contain the profiles of all the users in the locations of where they live. When people see something interesting around a particular area, they can either open a profile of a particular person in that area or they can post a post in that particular area on the map.

Also, users will not be able to see each other without first being friendunless they change the settings of their account(which will prevent stalkers and such from occurring as often). Here are some screenshots of the prototype that I have going(since I am currently waiting for API to be sent to me from Urthecast).

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

If anyone is curious, the Earth globe in 3D is made using HTML5. More features will be added to it.

So, what does everyone think? Will it have some success or will it not reach the audience and fail? This is just a small project I am working on, by the way.

Im...uncertain on this. 

Im no expert but i think some people would be pretty paranoid or suspicious about this sort of thing..but then again people put their business ect all over Twitter and Facebook so.. :unsure:

It might take off i guess. :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Im...uncertain on this. 

Im no expert but i think some people would be pretty paranoid or suspicious about this sort of thing..but then again people put their business ect all over Twitter and Facebook so.. :unsure:

It might take off i guess. :muffins:

Users are hidden from other people until they become friended, so they won't be seen on the other users' maps.  :)

Also, users can change settings to either make it so they are hidden from the map or they will be visible to all users.

Edited by BronyPony

Users are hidden from other people until they become friended, so they won't be seen on the other users' maps.  :)

Also, users can change settings to either make it so they are hidden from the map or they will be visible to all users.

I see. Doesn't sound too different from the other big Social Networking sites.

However,how do you plan to pull enough support from those said Social Networking juggernauts and have them use your site instead? Facebook and Twitter are everywhere and are heavily funded and possibly monopolized(imo).  :(

I 100% support this but there are people who are afraid to put where they live online, but a way to fix this is by using city only. Guessing that's how it was going to be because I doubt you have the time to put in every street in the entire world, but I feel it's the only way it will work.

• Brohoof 1

I see. Doesn't sound too different from the other big Social Networking sites.

However,how do you plan to pull enough support from those said Social Networking juggernauts and have them use your site instead? Facebook and Twitter are everywhere and are heavily funded and possibly monopolized(imo).  :(

The difference between this and major social networking sites is it makes social networking interactive instead of "post your status." It makes the social network interact with the environment. It also includes more privacy than most social networking sites.

I think I will pull more support for this social network by the privacy policy and the more interactive network. If people have more interaction, it will give more benefits to people when socializing.

I 100% support this but there are people who are afraid to put where they live online, but a way to fix this is by using city only. Guessing that's how it was going to be because I doubt you have the time to put in every street in the entire world, but I feel it's the only way it will work.

That is how it will mainly work(besides sharing between people in your friends list). The profile location will appear approximately to location, but not completely accurate.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

Not to be rude, but how is this pony related exactly?

Not to be rude, but how is this pony related exactly?

The comment is auto generated from moving the post between forums. It was originally in the Everfree Northwest forum, and it's not related to the convention at all. Thus I moved it to the most general forum I had as a possible destination. If this should be moved to a different forum then report the original post asking for a general moderator to decide. I have no moderation power in this forum so I can't make any changes at this point.

The comment is auto generated from moving the post between forums. It was originally in the Everfree Northwest forum, and it's not related to the convention at all. Thus I moved it to the most general forum I had as a possible destination. If this should be moved to a different forum then report the original post asking for a general moderator to decide. I have no moderation power in this forum so I can't make any changes at this point.

I thought I posted it in the Everfree Forest. Oops.  :blink:

It seems like a good idea in concept, but I really bucking hate social media. Most of the people on it are complete idiots posting selfies and sympathy posts.

It also seems a little creepy, I know you said that you need to be friended, but there would have to be someway to exploit this and people these days just friend anyone and everyone that sends them a friend request.

Meh, as for people worrying about having their information out there, despite the craigs list killer, and the number of crimes that occurred because of people putting their information on social media I can still go on facebook and copy and paste addresses and home towns, and places of work and even their boss's contact information. So the mainstream won't worry about their info being out there, they still don't even care that the NSA is logging all their web browsing history.

And I would join, if I could put my part of the map on like the Moon or Mars. Just to be different.

Meh, as for people worrying about having their information out there, despite the craigs list killer, and the number of crimes that occurred because of people putting their information on social media I can still go on facebook and copy and paste addresses and home towns, and places of work and even their boss's contact information. So the mainstream won't worry about their info being out there, they still don't even care that the NSA is logging all their web browsing history.

And I would join, if I could put my part of the map on like the Moon or Mars. Just to be different.

I was actually planning on doing the Moon and Mars when Urthecast(or another company) begins to take images around the moon frequently.  ^_^

It seems like a good idea in concept, but I really bucking hate social media. Most of the people on it are complete idiots posting selfies and sympathy posts.

It also seems a little creepy, I know you said that you need to be friended, but there would have to be someway to exploit this and people these days just friend anyone and everyone that sends them a friend request.

I know how you feel.  :P

Well, as with all social media, there will be exploit that are unseen. However, these exploits can be reported and fixed. 

I am not one to crush ones idea but my problem with this is that it is too geared on a persons whereabouts. I know social media opens you up to this kinda thing already but the main selling point is telling people where on the globe you are? That is a cool thing I will say but it makes it way to easy for someone to stalk you. You cant stalk someone on Facebook or Twitter without them telling you where they are every second. And the only time someone does know where you are is if you utilize the Google Maps attachment to tag. And even then people are tagging public places they are frequenting... I feel you have something here but you need to rework the main interface to be more on communication rather geography. Just my 2cents. 

If you have already overcome how you will combat stalkers then you should market this as a specific type of network. I see this platform being useful for people actually trying to meet up. This would be a cool social network for people who are all attending the same convention or event. If I'm meeting up with some friends to go to a convention and I see they are on the network in a restaurant across the city then this would be useful in that I could go meet up with them without having to call them (surprise!! :))

There are communities of people who meet up to go on road trips etc. I just see this as being more for people who are part of groups rather than just individuals.

• Brohoof 1

I am not one to crush ones idea but my problem with this is that it is too geared on a persons whereabouts. I know social media opens you up to this kinda thing already but the main selling point is telling people where on the globe you are? That is a cool thing I will say but it makes it way to easy for someone to stalk you. You cant stalk someone on Facebook or Twitter without them telling you where they are every second. And the only time someone does know where you are is if you utilize the Google Maps attachment to tag. And even then people are tagging public places they are frequenting... I feel you have something here but you need to rework the main interface to be more on communication rather geography. Just my 2cents. 

If you have already overcome how you will combat stalkers then you should market this as a specific type of network. I see this platform being useful for people actually trying to meet up. This would be a cool social network for people who are all attending the same convention or event. If I'm meeting up with some friends to go to a convention and I see they are on the network in a restaurant across the city then this would be useful in that I could go meet up with them without having to call them (surprise!! :))

There are communities of people who meet up to go on road trips etc. I just see this as being more for people who are part of groups rather than just individuals.

To combat stalking, I have made it so in order to know the existence of a particular person on the network, the two people have to be friends and must have each other on their friends list.  :)

The network is geared both towards groups and individual socialization. There will be settings that will allow a person to make their account public to other people(this was mostly geared towards businesses, but it also is geared towards individuals who want to make public their existence and such).

I hate the idea of social networking but this. This is amazing

I think that the issue, from what I feel and you might feel, is the current social media is simply all text. When social network is text, it separates the social aspect from the reality of things. If social networks, with privacy, are merged with reality then it no longer becomes a distraction because the social network becomes a reality rather than the user becoming a part of the social network.

I think that the issue, from what I feel and you might feel, is the current social media is simply all text. When social network is text, it separates the social aspect from the reality of things. If social networks, with privacy, are merged with reality then it no longer becomes a distraction because the social network becomes a reality rather than the user becoming a part of the social network.

yeah sorry i thought i deleted this comment it disappeared when i edited it never meant for this to be read  

(edited)

As long as exact coordinated to a person home,didn't show up I could see this as being pretty safe. I mean as safe as FB or Twitter. And could open up for a much easier way to meet people in your area.

Edited by Digit

As long as exact coordinated to a person home,didn't show up I could see this as being pretty safe. I mean as safe as FB or Twitter. And could open up for a much easier way to meet people in your area.

The coordinates will not show. It will simply place the profile approximately in the location they live.

I don't like it. Mostly because random people who I never have seen and occasionally never wish to meet send me friend requests, and I never go on it because I am a gamer and people on 'Facebook' never give a shit about what I do or if I'm so happy that i post my little gaming exploits. And when I do post them, they just say things like gamer and nerd and geek. It's so annoying that I never go on it. I don't really care if they call me a gamer, but sometimes there's that one asshole that's like 'how bout you go get a life faggot'. So playing games=faggot. Way to go man. Now how bout you go outside with your 'swag' and bite me asshole. That's what i tell them most of the time.