Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015) Discussion

Stalliongrad

December 18 2015 is the date all Star Wars fans are waiting for. The movies are totally a revamp for the franchise which has never really lost steam... ever. The movie is going to spawn all new games and give the fandom what they want. (Seriously go look at the DICE trailer for the new Star Wars: Battlefront) But my problem is not with the franchise its with who is at the helm. Not LucasArts not Disney.... but J.J. Abrams....

He was brought in to revamp the franchise the same way he did with Star Trek. Now I am also a diehard trekkie (Klingon Empire FTW) and I absolutely HATED the recent Star Trek films. He took the fandom and turned into a sexualized cheap knock off and spat over the established lore. The story was so annoying I cant make out what happened. A rogue captain who shoots at the enterprise later turns out to be an S31 agent?  (The love affair between Spock and Uhura was nothing more than a professional.. flirt if you can call it that and he made it seem like they were always all over each other.) I know there may be people who disagree and loved the new films but this is my 2 cents. I feel the movies were rushed and they didn't pay any respect for the franchise. Star Trek and Star Wars are the type of franchises where you have to get down to the knitty gritty for the fans, not just throw in some action and sex scenes for Hollywood. 

I get that there is a fine line between pleasing the established fandom and making the story easy enough for new people to follow. With the case of Star Trek because most of the fandom was not impressed the way we get around his films is by calling the events in those movies (Abramsverse) and thus they aren't canon, purely entertainment. Personally I can get over it because Star Trek is better suited for the TV than movies. But the opposite is true for Star Wars. I need him to make a movie that is on par with the rest of them, not cheap trash. He already kinda spoiled Star Trek for me, If he ruins Star Wars I dunno what ill do. God forbid he make an MLP movie and ruin all my fandoms.

I know that the film has all of the old teams working on it like ILM and so on.. so the film will at least look right but I am more concerned about where the story is going to go. I have grown tired of comic book character movies and I am excited. He has the reigns to one of the biggest fandoms ever, Think he is up to it?  

(Image is ST-321, Vader's Personal Lambda Shuttle)

post-7493-0-36366000-1403625357_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure. I have to think Abrams is an upgrade over Lucas from a technical aspect. However, his Star Trek reboot (haven't seen the second one), although exciting, felt off to me.

However, I am optimistic for the following reason: JJ is a big Star Wars fan. You can tell that's the kind film he wanted to make with the Star Trek reboot. Now, he gets his chance. So I feel hopeful for this, although as far as story goes I am worried that it will not hold up as well as say TESB or the original Star Wars. It'll probably be like ROTJ, fun, action-packed with some good moments, with some spotty writing and possible plot holes. Hopefully I'm wrong though and this new film takes the franchise to a whole new level :D

He already kinda spoiled Star Trek for me, If he ruins Star Wars I dunno what ill do. 

Star Wars was already ruined with the prequels

jk, I like the prequels

OK, maybe not Attack of the Clones

Well, I grew up loving both Star Trek and Star Wars, but the massive problem Trek has was that it was so VERY stale in the eyes of the viewing public. Star Trek: Nemesis was panned beyong belief and Enterprise, while improving as it went on, wasn't strong enough to carry the banner.

Like them or hate them, the Abrams Trek movies brought some fresh attention to the series. I like the first, but haven't seen the second yet. I still prefer old Trek, but I'll accept the new.

We'll just have to wait and see on Star Wars though.

I think J.J. 'S style will suit Star Wars a lot better than Star Trek. While I liked the new Star Trek movies, I agree that they are pretty different that the source material.

I'm waiting with bated breath. I'll see them when they come out, but I'm not expecting much.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

So... recently I watched Force Awakens again and now I'm wondering was this movie up to the hype? It felt like the first Star Wars movie. 

And Han Solo's death was so lame

Some girl in a desert planet lives in poverty. She finds out she's force sensitive. She comes across a droid that tells her to go somewhere, she flies on the Millennium Falcon and meets Han Solo and Chewbacca, there is some evil masked Sith Lord who has a higher lord. Han Solo and the girl have a kind of father and daughter relationship, Han Solo is killed like Ben but in a lamer way. There's a planet busting super weapon, the last remaining army must fight it, there's a weak spot on it, they fly over and shoot it and win

That sort of sounds like the plot of the first Star Wars movie, seriously. I bet Luke Skywalker is going to be the Yoda here now isn't he?

Edited by cider float

(edited)
On 2016-06-03 at 9:39 AM, cider float said:

So... recently I watched Force Awakens again and now I'm wondering was this movie up to the hype? It felt like the first three Star Wars movies wrapped into one... but lamer.

And Han Solo's death was so lame

Actually, I thought it was pretty well-acted (albeit too soon for most fans' nostalgia).

My main gripe was with how the whole thing practically screamed, "LOL, the Battle Of Endor didn't mean shit, LOL!"

Edited by Anti-Villain

(edited)

I actually thought it was pretty well-acted, albeit too soon for most fans' nostalgic tastes.

My main problem, though, was how the whole thing practically screamed, "LOL, the Battle Of Endor was all in vain, LOL!"

It wasn't just the acting it was the plot was sort of cheap. Also it's like they switched the roles, dad reaches out to his son, his son says "I am your son." The whole thing seemed to be set up for nostalgic reasons a bit too late if you asked me but still I feel sorry for the new generation that has to see this and have to realize this is what Star Wars have to offer because God knows if they would see the older one.

Edited by cider float

I found the new Star Wars Movie to be okay.

I dont think it deserved all the Money it got, because despite the fact that it looked really good, it didnt really had a interesting or mind blowing Story or Twist, it was good but then it was over and now i already forgot about most of it.

I love Star Wars more than just about anything else in all of life. But unfortunately, The Force Awakens is not what I call Star Wars. I should have left the theater feeling elated that it was back after so many years, but instead I felt like I got kicked in the chest with a steel-toe boot. I cried, and not in the good kind of way. 

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...

Had my issues with it, but I still enjoyed it. It's the only one from the new trilogy that I actually liked, so I'll give it props for that.

Even if not for this movie's infamous sequel killing the franchise, I don't look back on this movie as positively as I once did. At the time, it was easier to overlook issues with the pacing and character writing, since it was the start of a series, but now...yeah, that meme mocking its derivative nature is definitely going to stick. :mlp_nom:

• Brohoof 1