Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm in need of a bit of help

Discordian

Okay, so I am an amateur writer and I have an idea of something write but I have one problem: I need to do research and don't know where to go. I haven't been in school for years so the research part is a little hazy and I was never good at it in the first place. I need something that'll help me with Holland, particularly early 20th century before the big technology boom. I have encyclopedia's to start with and there's always Wikipedia but I don't know where else to look as I need serious details to make a good setting. I need knowledge!

Can't make a good book in a good setting with no knowledge of the setting itself and the time period.

So any of you students out there (I know there are some) who are good at finding research material can you please help? Book series, websites, etc. Anything of the sort will help. I live in the US and only speak English so anything like a history textbook from Holland or something like that wouldn't work very well but something international or can be found specifically in a US library would help.

Yeah, Wikipedia was gonna be my second stop after I check out the encyclopedias on my shelf.

But thank you!

Don't want people to think I'm just being lazy, I just haven't done any amount of research in so long unless it was like a gameplay video or something. @_@

The best answer would be a time machine... But apparently not everypony keeps one in their garage...

So instead, I would Google novels or short stories set back in that time period. And maybe skim through a bit of the setting details.

Sounds like an interesting book. Hope all goes well!

When it's the only source of information I have there's not really much choice at all. Besides, they've yet to let me down yet.

Just use other credible sites. Just remember something for wiki-

Anyone can edit it.

Anyone can edit it but they don't use false information. If false info is posted then it's immediately removed.

Besides, it's not like I can't double check whatever info I get to make sure it's accurate. :P

Hmm, the sources you use are really dependant upon how precise you wish your information to be when writing your piece, and by precise, I mean the level of historical discrepancy you're willing to allow.

I would initially recommend the EBSCO research website, due to the sheer size and detail within their archives, although the last time I used their services it was through a university, so i'm not too sure if they let the general public view their records.

While Wikipedia can be a relatively accurate source when it comes to anything past 16th century history, the main issue with its recordings, is that the content is often filled with subtle biases to particular theory's, and although Wikipedia is generally efficient in dealing with such inconsistencies, some of them can appear vague enough to slip by unnoticed. What you can do however is rather than reference from Wikipedia itself, refer the the linked sources provided, and proceed to analyse each account separately to create your own delineation.

Oh and one more thing. If you live in a city or large metropolitan region, you're likely to have a state or city library close to you which can be quite a surprising help. I remember I visited the Victorian State Library, expecting not to find much on a small topic I was researching, and I ended up with a good dosen or so books, so if you can't find what your looking for online, that may be an option worth considering.

Edited by Swoop

I usually start with Wikipedia, then I use what I learned there to help me search for more credible sources. Here are a few sites I found from a quick Google search. They may not be what you are looking for though.

http://www.europe-cities.com/en/728/netherlands/history/period5/

http://www.amsterdam.info/netherlands/history/

http://www.eindhoven-life.com/info/info.php

I don't need it to be pinpoint accurate but accurate enough that I can utilize the setting for what I need. I'll have to start my research before I even get anywhere. I need to stop being lazy, first and foremost, and even if I only write or research for half hour to an hour a day I still need to try to do stuff every day. I was told by someone who went through college to be an author that it's best to keep writing every day, even if it's just a little bit here and there, so I don't lose steam.

I've been so anxious to start my new job that it's hard to concentrate on that though. But I really gotta try. I aspire to be an author, but there's so many things I don't know and don't know how to learn. I'm still not even 100% sure going to college would help me in the matter. You don't need to go to college to learn how to be a good author but I figure it might help, and yet I'm still not certain.

But I suppose I gotta start somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

I'm also writing a story but it's more fantasy than anything. Sadly since I have been busy with work and school I haven't been able to type the rest of the story out just-yet in terms on description. I'm also making artwork for it. But it it aspires some credentials from the the late 19th century and before asphalt/paved roads became common and before automobiles became widespread or were even conceived (but given that my story is fantasy I made up my own technologies with sort of a steam punk vibe).

I'll tell you this. In the planning stage, whether you're already past that or not, think most importantly about character interaction and not just in regards to one human to the next, but with the world you have molded around them. Think, but first with your limited knowledge on things such as their personal strides and strifes. Many things that the society your molding around them helps determine or coincides with. Next I consider the base setting. One of the two main characters lives in a harbor town where a market place exits where his family sells their harvested ink from their berry plantation. With a clear(er) idea on the identity of the main individual, which includes their personal living it involves now doing some research. And so it means formulating some research questions to get me started. And a few of those would be:

If you working on a berry plantation where dye/ink is formed, who do you sell it to? The local printing press! Companies or groups that distribue fabric.

What would have been worth printing about in such a time period? Again, it takes place in the early 19th century and the characters basically live on the coast of land, big things happening overseas. The Industrial Revolution and the Romantic era disparaging any smog emitted by the city. Where working conditions are tough, espcially if you are a minority during these times.

Think of building the setting as a process of elimination where you ask one question only to lead unto another. This in-turn helps find your characters place in the neck of it all.

I can't tell you too much right now because I'm still sort of a beginning writer myself and I have some assignments to finish, but I'd recommend going to some of my favorite advisory sites, such as ehow.com, about.com, and the like.

Tons of helpful posts by professionals of all trades, especially in the field of writing.

Edited by Akaraah