Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Online Personality vs Your Offline Personality

SanityNotIncluded

Well, I try to be who I really in both spheres of life; though sometimes I might fail at that.

The areas where I try and mostly succeed at are trying to kindness, understanding, maturity, and other such things as that. I also try to show my goofy side, though I may have trouble expressing that online. Also, I do try to speak clearly and coherently in both spheres; though I do tend to overthink myself as well. >_<

Where I might fail could be that I've had an easier time of meeting new people and making friends than I have in real life.

So yeah, though I'm sure I can elaborate on this somewhere...

Oddly, how I act online depends on the people I'm online with. I have some Twitter friends who I act incredibly immature with and with others I'm just plain weird. But on a whole I'm much more flamboyant and outgoing and more "me" than offline, when I'm shy and introverted and all that rubbish. Only when I'm with friends who I'm really comfortable and familiar with is when I'm myself. :P And they're the only friends I share my online profiles with, when it comes to others I don't let them know about my Twitter/Tumblr accounts because I'm not comfortable with being fully myself around them.

Online: I am a complete jokester and make very funny pokes at users and threads. I act rather gay when I am acting like Braeburn (Roleplay much?) I even called someone Shining armor in 5 topics.

Offline: A jokester just more hyper and less ambiguously gay (I support Gay people).

Offline: Polite/nice, very quiet and reserved. My pun to normal speech ratio is about the same as online. Can't talk to strangers or people I barely know to save my life. I love doing things that people would thank me for, but loathe being thanked.

Online: Generally a quiet, nice guy, though a crazy side sometimes leaks through. I can kinda hold a conversation, but not really start one. Pretty much the same as offline, just a little more outgoing. 

Online: I am the person I truly am inside. Kind, talkative, friendly, can be funny and just act like myself. I am me.

Offline: Still kind but shy of helping someone, shy, silent.

Now I mentioned I'm who I really am in real life online right? It probably makes no sense as the person I just said I am online and offline are completely different. Well, the person I am offline is almost like a specific trait I carry when in school or public places. When I'm at home around my family or friends, I act the way I say I am online, because I'm not judged nor unsafe. So, the person I am at heart is who I am online and offline, but only at home around friends or family, when offline. Otherwise in school or restaurants and such I'm the opposite.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Online:Nice...I'll just be myself.

Offline:Nice...I'll just be myself.

However, when im grumpy or not in the mood...

Online:Sorta Nice, because i can think about what i type before doing it.

Offline:I'll just type down a likely conversation:

Friend:Hey, Sup man! How are you doin?

Me:F**K off before i rip your lungs out.

Then they run.

Edited by Bradley-MysteryLord
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey folks,

As many of you might be aware, anonymity tends to have "interesting" effects on people. A shy person might suddenly become a stand up comedian and a Reddit user might inadvertently sprout a fedora.

Whatever the case, we tend to act differently online to how we act in real life. I (and seemingly many others) find this interesting, so I thought I'd create a thread for people to talk about the differences between their online and offline personalities.

My personality isn't hugely different here, but there are a few things:

• I use the greeting "hey folks" a lot on the internet, whereas I would never say something so corny in real life
  • I'm actually a lot more shy on the internet than I am in my day-to-day interactions. In the real world, I have absolutely no problem going up to random people (or groups of people) and just casually talking to them. However, on the internet I find approaching people to be extremely awkward. In all honesty, I think it's mostly to do with the fact that what we write online is semi-permanent - meaning that you get too much of a chance to scrutinise what you say/write.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear from others so do fire away.

I'd say that I'm a lot more open on the internet than I am in real life.

For example, let's say there's a party. I'd be more of the person who'd be standing in the corner just wandering around the party, watching everyone dancing. Every now and then I might throw in my two cents.

Whereas, online, in the same situation, I might be the one in the front dancing my *ss off, setting out jokes every now and then. 

I tend to be with my friends a lot more online. (that is to say, that I have very many offline friends qq)

Oh, and I'm definitely more hypocritical online, but i'm still nice about how people react to it.

To be honest, cite FS; "Y'know, if you want to."

Edited by RailOfFire

(edited)

My personality online is not really different from how I act with friends.

I may be a little more open while on the internet.

When I talk offline I swear a lot more than when I am online.

Besides this I am usually the same.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

That's a very interesting choice for a topic. I have to say it crossed my mind numerous times in the past. When you're online, you have the leisure of anonymity and discretion. You can choose your words carefully and dodge potentially embarrassing situations altogether.

I wouldn't say I'm entirely different online from what I'm like offline. The only thing i can readily think of is that my mind is always overflowing with thoughts, so I have a bit of a tendency to go off on a tangent in real life, and I sometimes end up coming across as fuzzy and unclear. The luxury of actually typing out my message before sending it out allows me to organize my thoughts properly before ending with my foot in my mouth. :)

• Brohoof 1

First post (yay?)

Online: I'll speak my mind, mainly because I usually find topics that I want to give my input on, no stutter or pause (idk how to stutter over the web, bad connection maybe?) before doing so. I also don't hold back on certain things I want to say, unless speaking to real life friends.

Offline: I'll speak my mind, but i don't usually find topics i want to talk about, usually I'm surrounded by people who are talking about something I could careless about, though to admit, I am shy/nervous at times and sometimes hesitant to speak depending on the topic. I hold back saying some things unless i'm close friends with someone. I do have my violent and perverse use of words at times.

All together: I consider myself to be a kind person, both offline and online and I'm not one to shout insults just because I'm behind a computer screen, nor do i do so offline because I don't want those situations of regret on what i said. Also I ramble alot so I'm ending here.

My online life pretty much my offline life where I do nothing but play games and read things online and well look at pictures. That is pretty much who I am until I can better ways to spend my life.

First post (yay?)

Online: I'll speak my mind, mainly because I usually find topics that I want to give my input on, no stutter or pause (idk how to stutter over the web, bad connection maybe?) before doing so. I also don't hold back on certain things I want to say, unless speaking to real life friends.

Offline: I'll speak my mind, but i don't usually find topics i want to talk about, usually I'm surrounded by people who are talking about something I could careless about, though to admit, I am shy/nervous at times and sometimes hesitant to speak depending on the topic. I hold back saying some things unless i'm close friends with someone. I do have my violent and perverse use of words at times.

All together: I consider myself to be a kind person, both offline and online and I'm not one to shout insults just because I'm behind a computer screen, nor do i do so offline because I don't want those situations of regret on what i said. Also I ramble alot so I'm ending here.

Hopefully this won't derail the thread too much, but since this is your first post here: Welcome to MLP Forums!  :D  Though we have the occasional argument and oddball here and there, this community (in my experience) is pretty mature and friendly compared to other places on the web. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have :) .

• Brohoof 1

Hopefully this won't derail the thread too much, but since this is your first post here: Welcome to MLP Forums!  :D  Though we have the occasional argument and oddball here and there, this community (in my experience) is pretty mature and friendly compared to other places on the web. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have :) .

Thanks for the welcoming! Also, I don't mind arguments as long as those that participate are mature about them :) I hope I find enjoyment here as well  -_-

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how I am in person online, probably less afraid of confrontations but offline I tend to shy away from, frown at and creepily stare admire others but when you finally get to know me (after months and years of complicated signs) I'm just a pure weird goofball, please try to start singing '' Pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows '' in H & M, things get a bit awkward... 

(edited)

Online I am more friendly and happier...The internet is a great place for me to wind down and laugh and smile with kind people.

Offline I am more lazy and stubborn to people, and usually I don't do anything productive except draw cats/ponies >_>

attachicon.gifimg-1698924-1-tumblr_magvs44xHB1qdjx55o1_400.gif

I found another me on the internet

Edited by Jake DiscoTech

It is extremely easier talking to people on the internet than in real life. I freak out and shut up for months I am very shy. I am still happy and friendly to everyone in real life. 

I am a huge closet brony in real life it is also easier to admit it on here and other sites. None of my friends know that I am a brony except one brony friend that I already have.

• Brohoof 1

The offline personality and the online personality isn't disconnected. Both of them all run by the same personality. I do speak more intelligently and go towards a profound meaning in my personality in general, but you could say it's on both my online personality and offline personality. 

My online personality is pretty similar to my offline personality, except that I tend to be a lot more talkative on the internet. It's a lot easier for me to approach new people online than offline. Other than that I'd say I'm the same.

• Brohoof 1