EquestrianScholar

[Canterlot] Meetings At The Throne Room

img-3006671-1-2s7dhg7.jpg

Princess Celestia

For as long as Princess Celestia could remember since she had and her sister had been crowned, they had served their subjects and been there to listen. That is where she was today, in the throneroom preparing for th tone her subjects could enter and speak with her.

Most days this was a joy, though other days it could become tedious if. Yet no matter how bored or frustrated she was Celestia showed her subjects a warm smile and her attention.

Today the princess had some additional stress from paper work, meetings with dignitaries and nobles, all this being where things got a bit more tedious. Yet sh would not allow this to effect her day.

Turning to a guard at the door and says, "Please open the doors and allow the first to enter". The guard bows to the princess and does so.

((I don't always have confidence starting a roleplay, I hope this will do))

Edited by EquestrianScholar

@@EquestrianScholar

To say Ace was calm would be a flat out lie, sure he looked calm as he waited for the doors to open but his mind was anything but calm. He couldn't believe he was going to chat with Princess Celestia. 'Okay Ace just keep your cool, I'm sure everything will go fine you're just going to have a friendly chat with Princess Celestia.' Ace let out a breath he hadn't even realized he was holding. He took a look at the two guards that were stationed there, "so guarding the Princess must be fun right?" his only replay was silence, "Okay or we don't have to talk that's good too I guess."

Ace's attention was drawn back to the door as they opened as a guard greeted him, "the princess will see you now sir," the guard said giving a smile. "Wha-wha-what? Really? That was fast, okay! Thank you." Ace replied giving a nod to the guard before walking on in to the throne room, where he could see Celestia at the other end, "Whooooa this room was bigger then I expected, hello! It's nice to meet you, my name's Flying Ace!"

Edited by Flying Ace

Princess Celestia

@@Flying Ace,
The princess waited as the guard exited the throneroom before then watching as a pegasus stallion entered. He was tall yet lightly built, which was fairly common given his race. The stallion had a white coat with dark brown mane and tail. He wore glasses which hide the color of his eyes a bit given his distance.

Celestia gave the pony a smile as he introduced himself before offering in reply, "Yes the throneroom is quite large. It is a pleasure to meet you my little pony, why might I ask did you come here to meet me Flying Ace?"

@@EquestrianScholar

Ace blinked a couple of times before scratching his head, "huh you know what...that never crossed my mind I guess I was too preoccupied to really think about that." Ace looked backed at the Princess, "so how are you on this fine day?" 

Edited by Flying Ace

@@Flying Ace

The princess laughed softly before saying warmly, "why I am doing well enough, paperwork and meetings later today but nothing I cannot handle."

Celestia decided perhaps she should be the one to start a conversation and asks, "how about you tell me about yourself, how do you spend your days or nights?" She was most curious to learn about her subject, as she was interesting in getting to know all the ponies under her care.

@@Flying Ace

The princess laughed softly before saying warmly, "why I am doing well enough, paperwork and meetings later today but nothing I cannot handle."

Celestia decided perhaps she should be the one to start a conversation and asks, "how about you tell me about yourself, how do you spend your days or nights?"

"About me? Oh, I work at the theater as an actor though I don't actually live here. I live in Ponyville because i'm not one for big cities, how I spend y time is reading books mostly fantasy and adventure." Ace thought for a moment on what would be an interesting topic. "Oh, I also can't fly! Well, I can but I suck at it and I flat out choose not to fly."

@@Flying Ace

The princess was interested to learn the stallion was an actor, more that he worked at the Canterlot theater yet lived in Ponyville. She could understand the merit of preferring to life in a small town to a large city, though she was princess had no choice in the matter. Yet the fact that Flying Ace said he sucked at flying surprised Celestia, given the stallion's name and race. With a smile she would ask calming, "I admit I find your thoughts that you are no good at flying suprising, have you considered seeking a trainer that could at least get you up to pegasus standard my little pony? I am certain that if you allow yourself the confidence of improvement Ace you could be surprised of what you can accomplish."

The princess would continue with the words, "of your talent of acting and your work at the theater I must admit I don't believe I have seen you on stage... admittingly I don't often get to see any of the plays going on at the Canterlot Theater but when I get the chance I do go. What is playing at the moment my subject?"

@@Flying Ace

The princess was interested to learn the stallion was an actor, more that he worked at the Canterlot theater yet lived in Ponyville. She could understand the merit of preferring to life in a small town to a large city, though she was princess had no choice in the matter. Yet the fact that Flying Ace said he sucked at flying surprised Celestia, given the stallion's name and race. With a smile she would ask calming, "I admit I find your thoughts that you are no good at flying suprising, have you considered seeking a trainer that could at least get you up to pegasus standard my little pony? I am certain that if you allow yourself the confidence of improvement Ace you could be surprised of what you can accomplish."

The princess would continue with the words, "of your talent of acting and your work at the theater I must admit I don't believe I have seen you on stage... admittingly I don't often get to see any of the plays going on at the Canterlot Theater but when I get the chance I do go. What is playing at the moment my subject?"

"Ehhh, I don't really wan to start learning how to fly, I'm happy with what I can do now." Ace stated fixing his glasses, "as for what's playing at this moment? I do t know we just finessed a show so we all take a week break before we come together to discus what the next play will be, but as of right now there is nothing playing at the theater."

Edited by Flying Ace

@@Flying Ace,

"Well, perhaps I can see to being at your next show," the princess offered the stallion with and grin before adding, "and making mention of the theater when I speak with others." Though she was not exactly saying such, and perhaps without him realizing it, Princess Celestia was essentially telling Ace that she was willing to see to it that more ponies would be there when they did eventually start the next show. With such words the princess would say, "well my little pony, unless you have more to say or ask, I feel it would be fair to allow the next in line in to meet me. It was a pleasure to speak with you."

"Oh, well thank you for that I'll let you know when there will be a next show, thank you for having me!" Ace turned around and giving a goodbye wave walked out the door. "Well, she seems really nice," Ace said turning to the same guard he talked to early and he got the same response he did last time...complete silence. "Still not talking? Okay."

@@EquestrianScholar,

Outside the throne room, Fixit toyed with the yoke linking him to his small wagon. He took a moment to peek under the blanket covering the wagon and admire the contraption underneath.

It was all his own handiwork of course; one could hardly buy gifts for the Princess, after all, when she owned enough wealth to purchase anything under the sun she raised each day. But to craft something with your own hooves both took and showed care and effort, things more valuable than bits alone.

Of course, whether the Princess actually received the gift all depended on the results of the conversation that was soon to follow.

Fixit replaced the blanket in time to see the guard at the door give him an odd look.

"A gift fer the Princess," said Fixit. The guard, however, did not seem satisfied.

"I'm afraid I'll need to see this gift of yours before I can allow you to enter the throne room."

Fixit raised an incredulous eyebrow "What the hay d'ya think I've got in here, one o' them fancy black powder devices? I'm an engineer, not an alchemist."

"Given recent events in Canterlot, I am obligated by law to check the contents of your cart. It's not my choice, sir."

Fixit sighed "Well I suppose. Go ahead then."

The guard lifted the blanket and the bemused facial expression returned. "Just what exactly is this?" he asked.

"Now, that would be telling," said Fixit with a grin "But rest assured, it ain't gonna explode or nothin'."

"Least, it shouldn't do..." he muttered to himself.

"Well, it looks innocuous enough to me," the guard said gruffly "You may pass, but any funny business and you'll be in the cells before you know it."

"But o'course," said Fixit.

The previous visitor left the throne room, and Fixit inclined his head slightly by way of greeting before entering, dragging the cart behind him. He took a moment to glance around the room, and found himself slightly disappointed; the architect really should have used less pink and more marble for that regal, imperious look.

Regardless of his opinions about the throne room, Fixit was here for a reason. He unhitched the cart and stood before the throne, bowing his head.

"Good day, yer majesty. Thank ya kindly fer agreein' ta speak ta me."

Edited by Archi the Atmomancer

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

The princess smiles at the stallion before offering a nod and the words, noting that which he brought into the throneroom, "It is my pleasure my subject, I am always happy to speak with and hear from those that seek me out."

Celestia gave no visual cue, but she was curious to see what was in the wagon as it was not common for a pony to bring in something so large. It was covered, suggesting that perhaps the stallion wished for a 'big reveal' perhaps or maybe it was merely to protect it from the elements. Though given how it was a clear day, this would not likely make much since.

Finally the large white mare would move her gaze from the stallion, to the wagon, back to the stallion and ask, "Might I ask your name and your propose for meeting me? More with you bringing in a wagon, as that not something I commonly see here." 

@@EquestrianScholar,

"Name's Fixit, ma'am. At your service," he said with a small bow "I'm here ta ask about your royal highness' opinion on the up and comin' drivin' force in Equestria; steam power."

He looked up at the Princess with a mysterious smile "As ta the contents o' this here wagon... Well, beggin' your pardon, but that's a surprise."

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

The princess consider the pony's question, consider it likely that what Fixit was hiding in the wagon had something to do with his inquiry, yet would answer truthfully, "It is one of many ideas I have seen ponies over the years come up with. Though because of use magic in daily life and in invention, steam power did not take off very well before recently. Might I ask why you seek to know my thoughts on steam power Mr. Fixit?"

Celestia had seen many ideas and inventions come about but the use of magic had often limited the need or usefulness of many of them. Still she had seen steam power and other such non-magical technology, especially among earth ponies, begin to actually begin making and impact and difference in Equestria to the point of actually competing with or overcoming more magical invention.

@@EquestrianScholar,

"I was just wonderin' is all," said Fixit "As an engineer mah job relies on the proliferation o' steam power; if there are no machines for me ta work on, and no supplies for me to create mah own machines due ta lack o' demand, I'm done."

He paused, hoping what he was about to say next wouldn't come across as horribly insolent "I wanted ta make sure that our Princess is lookin' ta the future and not stuck in the past like some ponies are. Lotta ponies say machines make work meaningless or that they'll end up drivin' ponies outta work, but I think if we move slowly we can get around that."

Besides, we can't just ignore this new technology; look at what it can do! The Ponyville Express can make it ta the Crystal Empire in 24 hours thanks to that magnificent engine it has, and I know from experience that machines can be a big on the farm, despite what recent events with them Flim-Flam Brothers mighta made ya think."

"Anyways, I wanna know if you're in favour of this new technology, or against it."

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

The princess consider this for a moment, her face offering noting more then her warm smile as her eyes rested on Fixit before finally offering, "I see no reasoning to oppose it my little pony, as long as it doesn't harm others but helps make ponies lives better then they are now I see no reason not to offer my support of invention and technology. Though to give an official approval I will need to see what you have planned in creating."

Celestis suspected that perhaps whatever was in the wagon would be the stallion's answer to such a condition yet perhaps this Mr. Fixit would have something else in mind. Of any case she was both intrigued and a bit confused, as she did not yet see any reason why her permission was needed or what her subjected wanted from her.

@@EquestrianScholar,

Fixit chuckled and shook his head "You misunderstand, your majesty. I ain't lookin' for your approval, though a bit of royal sponsorship wouldn't go amiss. No, I asked simply out o' curiosity. Plus, I wanted to know if you were worthy o' this little invention o' mine."

He turned round to the wagon and reached for the cloth covering the device beneath. He waited a moment to build the tension, and then, with a dramatic flourish, whipped away the scarlet cloth, revealing a spherical contraption. With a hoof he pushed the thing onto his back before depositing it at the base of the throne.

If she examined the thing, the Princess would find it to be a metallic globe of Equestria and the rest of the world, with the seas represented by steel and the landmasses by bronze. About three quarters of the way up the sphere was a smooth bronze band, and attached to that band by metal strips were a brass orb and a silver crescent.

Fixit pushed down a tiny lever, and the orb and the crescent began to slowly rotate around the globe, accompanies by puffs of steam from the orb and the clicking of gears.

"A gift for you, to remind you of the duties you and your sister do for us every day." he said with a smile.

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

"Thank you for this gift," Princess Celestia says with a smile before studying it.

"Would this device be able to exactly follow the rise and fall of sun and moon, day and night," Princess Celestia asked with a tone of interest at the curious sphere before offering a few situations, "what if I am my sister planned for there to be a solar or lunar eclipse? What of something happening that prevents either of us from raising the sun or moon at their proper time? Though it is rare I and my sister have slept in and been late to raise the sun or moon... as well as other instances of unavailability."

The princess turns her attention back to Fixit and offers, "This is very impressive work. Everything seem to be in its proper place, but without a spell I am uncertain how the device would be able to truly match the movements of the sun and moon... unless there is something I'm not seeing?"

Celestia hoped the stallion did not take her questions or thoughts poorly, it was simply that the movements of the sun and moon would not always be able to be precise enough for a mechanical devise like this sphere to mimic without a bit of aid. Still the princess was impressed and she could see this being a most useful tool in record keeping, study, and possibly navigation... among other uses perhaps.. 

Fixit smiled at the thanks and mumbled that it was no problem, then felt his cheeks flare in a slight blush at the Princess' query.

"Oh, well, um, no. No it doesn't. " He coughed nervously "I can build things but I'm no magician, your majesty. I hope that isn't too much of a disappointment."

"No, not at all," the princess assures.

"Well," Princess Celestia says with nod of her head before asking with a smile, "Would you be upset if I cast a small spell on your invention? Have the device connection to my sister and I so that it works as it should? I believe it is only fair that I seek your permission first before altering it in any way as it is your creation." The princess was always careful about such things, she did not want to seem unfair or come off as not giving a pony a choice.

@@EquestrianScholar,

Fixit gave an incredulous yet warm laugh. "Upset? I'd be honoured. Your interest in this ol' thing makes it worth my while."

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

The princess would nod before turning to face the device that Fixit has created, after which he horn would begin to glow as it surrounded the globe of the world with the sun and moon. The invention would begin to glow, the model of the sun took on a golden shine while the moon takes on a silver glow.

Once finished Celestia would turn to the stallion and explaining, "Now your invention should follow the sun and moon even if they move out of their normal progression through the sky. If you plan on creating more, I can have the spell written down and cast by a skilled unicorn, with the structures needed to form the proper connection."

@@EquestrianScholar,

Fixit watched in a state of awe as the previously dull orbs of metal began to shine with a light of their own, until it seemed that a miniature sun and moon were in the throne room. Technology was useful, practical and accessible but sometimes it took magic to make something truly amazing.

Fixit waved a dismissive hoof at Celestia's offer "Nah, that's a unique item, made specially for you, ma'am. If I make more it'll lose its value. It was meant only for you, as thanks for your benevolent rule."

@@Archi the Atmomancer,

Princess Celestia
The princess would nod before calling one of her guards over and saying, "I would like you to find two willing to carry this up to the Observatory for me, I would must appreciate it."

The guard would salute saying, "at once Your Highness", before then leaving the room.

With such Celestia would turn back to Fixit and say taking a quill and pen before saying, "To thank you fo your gift, I am willing to offer a letter of recommendation to make it easier for you to gain a grant or find a patron so you can have funding for your research."

At this exceptionally generous offer, Fixit was astounded. His eyes widened and he raised an incredulous eyebrow "Really, Your Highness? You would do that? I... I would be honoured..." he said, smiling sheepishly as a slight blush crossed his cheeks. An endorsement from Princess Celestia herself... How could he refuse?! His options would be limitless!

But maybe that wasn't a good thing. Truth be told, he quite enjoyed being a small dealer. There was an intimacy to it that made all of his work more worthwhile. Even the limitations made the job more interesting; having unlimited resources would be no challenges to his intellect. It would be almost too easy.

Fixit considered for a moment before speaking out again "Actually, Your Highness, beggin' your pardon but... Well, I think I can do without your endorsement. I'd like to know that my success was the result of my own efforts, not your recommendation. No offence, of course."