Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

Pick it up if you like what you've heard.

Bought it over amazon, 10/10 will listen to over and over again.  But seriously, they're a good band.

New 'marth album this year. Looking forward to it.

It just occurred to me that the only Amon Amarth album I have is Versus the World, and I bought that fucker a long time ago.  I really need to get more of their stuff, since I think they're one of the better melodeath bands out there.

Anyways, droppin' some Kylesa here.  Similar sound to Mastodon, which is amazing.  

• Brohoof 2

Have some cheesy prog-metal ballad thing:

Seriously, I think this is one of the best songs ever, for metal or nonmetal audience. Savatage is the most underrated band ever.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Savatage is the most underrated band ever.

True dat.  My uncle lives down the street from one of their former bandmates.  Forget which one, but the dude was really nice, albeit kinda weird.

Anyway, Hall of the Mountain King is the shit.  Some great 80's power metal.

Edited by Halfblood
  • Brohoof 1

Anyways, droppin' some Kylesa here.  Similar sound to Mastodon, which is amazing.  

http://youtu.be/sq9CglF086o. 

I just started listening to Kylesa, yeah I agree that they've got a similar sound to Mastodon, and it's funny that you've mentioned Mastodon since I'm right now listening to Leviathan again, probably about the 3rd time I've listened to this album, but whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sulY3bixDxI

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fuck all of your shit-tier, overrated, mainstream "extreme" thrash bands. Only experimental, dissonant black/death noise is real.

Bleh. Vocals are really gross. Probably the easiest thing to do in metal is Black Metal vox because its like pseudo-growling. The instrumentals are almost indiscernible, but I guess that's why its "black/death noise".

I like the costumes though :>

Edited by VigilSerus

Bleh. Vocals are really gross. Probably the easiest thing to do in metal is Black Metal vox because its like pseudo-growling. The instrumentals are almost indiscernible, but I guess that's why its "black/death noise".

I like the costumes though :>

Maybe it's not the music itself and it's just that you don't have a acquired taste for that kind of stuff. If you want Black Metal that's not hard to listen to then I point you out to Agalloch, a good band for those starting out at the Black Metal genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ih3JVrRPE

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe it's not the music itself and it's just that you don't have a acquired taste for that kind of stuff. If you want Black Metal that's not hard to listen to then I point you out to Agalloch, a good band for those starting out at the Black Metal genre.

The song's alright. Though I have listened to some Black Metal before, I've even posted it here. At least the band claims they're Black Metal. :u  But uh, the vocalist in this actually has a decent voice. Has a gravely sound to it rather than a whispery, airy feel that's like the falsetto of growls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBAbmlnYcM

31 seconds in for vox

Edited by VigilSerus

The song's alright. Though I have listened to some Black Metal before, I've even posted it here. At least the band claims they're Black Metal. :u  But uh, the vocalist in this actually has a decent voice. Has a gravely sound to it rather than a whispery, airy feel that's like the falsetto of growls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBAbmlnYcM

31 seconds in for vox

Then it's basically just that you're not a fan of Black Metal itself. That song to me sounds like it has multiple influences of some sort, There could be a bit of Black Metal influence in there as well.

But anyways switching it back to Sludge with some Black Tusk

I just realized how much I love this song a recent while-ish ago. I need so much slower modern MDM like this or Hypocrisy. Love the offbeat's during all the double-bass beats. Awesome album really, but this and Liberation Zero are probably my favourite.

I see there has been some debate about the superiority of Slayer over Metallica and Metallica. Well all of you guys are wrong, Anthrax is clearly the best of the big four.

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to post something gloomy and doomy, because I've been feeling that way lately. Im not exactly sure why though.

I see there has been some debate about the superiority of Slayer over Metallica and Metallica. Well all of you guys are wrong, Anthrax is clearly the best of the big four.

Oh please,

Slayer > the rest of the Big Four.

I don't know about that, although I honestly only really know one song by Anthrax, which is the one you posted. I really like that song a lot though, it's good.

I don't know about that, although I honestly only really know one song by Anthrax, which is the one you posted. I really like that song a lot though, it's good.

I really like their debut album, it's more thrash/speed metal than just straight up thrash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQxM0vES6c

Well now I feel all thrashy and what not.

I'm going to post something gloomy and doomy, because I've been feeling that way lately. Im not exactly sure why though.

Oh please,

Slayer > the rest of the Big Four.

Slayer is overrated, I prefer old-school Metallica, as overrated as they are. I don't care if Slayer is the most brutal or most influential on Death Metal or whatever, I just find Metallica's songs more interesting from what I have heard. 

Same. I really only bringing it up to be contrary because no one ever talks about Anthrax. I heard like one or two other Anthrax songs, and I didn't like them as much. However, I think I've heard enough from all four bands to tell the singer from Anthrax is clearly the best IMO, so they have that much. In terms of vocal quality Anthrax > Metallica > Slayer > Megadeth, though I can't really count it against Slayer because they have their own thing going on with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xaIPszwpo

Not Thrash Metal.

Slayer is overrated, I prefer old-school Metallica, as overrated as they are. I don't care if Slayer is the most brutal or most influential on Death Metal or whatever, I just find Metallica's songs more interesting from what I have heard.

Same. I really only bringing it up to be contrary because no one ever talks about Anthrax. I heard like one or two other Anthrax songs, and I didn't like them as much. However, I think I've heard enough from all four bands to tell the singer from Anthrax is clearly the best IMO, so they have that much. In terms of vocal quality Anthrax > Metallica > Slayer > Megadeth, though I can't really count it against Slayer because they have their own thing going on with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xaIPszwpo

Not Thrash Metal.

Even 80's Metallica isn't as good as 80's Slayer. People speak of 80's Metallica like their untouchable, I think it's bullshit. Records like Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits pretty much destroy anything in Metallica's discography. Without Slayer (and Kreator), none of the extreme genres would even exist. Master of Puppets is also really overrated, it's a good record but Reign in Blood (which is also overrated) is a much better record.

Even 80's Metallica isn't as good as 80's Slayer. People speak of 80's Metallica like their untouchable, I think it's bullshit. Records like Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits pretty much destroy anything in Metallica's discography. Without Slayer (and Kreator), none of the extreme genres would even exist. Master of Puppets is also really overrated, it's a good record but Reign in Blood (which is also overrated) is a much better record.

And that's your opinion, I prefer Master of Puppets to Reign in Blood (well at least the titular tracks, I haven't listened to the entirety of both records), and I'm not even a big fan of Metallica. Also, Slayer is only responsible for the Death Metal side of Extreme Metal, Venom is responsible for the Black Metal side. 

(edited)

And that's your opinion, I prefer Master of Puppets to Reign in Blood (well at least the titular tracks, I haven't listened to the entirety of both records), and I'm not even a big fan of Metallica. Also, Slayer is only responsible for the Death Metal side of Extreme Metal, Venom is responsible for the Black Metal side.

Wait, so you're arguing with me over which band is better even though you haven't listened to any albums in their entirety? -.-

As for what you said about Venom, Venom did NOT invent black metal. They just came up with the name, Bathory invented black metal.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

Wait, so you're arguing with me over which band is better even though you haven't listened to any albums in their entirety? -.-

As for what you said about Venom, Venom did NOT invent black metal. They just came up with the metal, Bathory invented black metal.

I don't need to listen to the entire discography of two bands to decide which one I like better. I've listened to variety of songs from both of both well known songs and lesser known songs. Can I be certain my assumption is correct? No, but I don't have time to listen to everything, and I don't feel like listening to the entirety of either album. 

Slayer didn't invent Death Metal either. Thrash Metal is considered Extreme Metal for some reason, and sometimes Speed Metal is considered Extreme Metal. Venom was the first band to go in the direction of Extreme Metal as opposed to just Metal. By the way, I prefer Slayer to Venom by a long shot. 

Old band arguments so I'm just gonna say fuck it and post Saxon.

Barely metal in comparison but hey.  It was '79.  Close enough, I say.

I don't need to listen to the entire discography of two bands to decide which one I like better. I've listened to variety of songs from both of both well known songs and lesser known songs. Can I be certain my assumption is correct? No, but I don't have time to listen to everything, and I don't feel like listening to the entirety of either album.

Slayer didn't invent Death Metal either. Thrash Metal is considered Extreme Metal for some reason, and sometimes Speed Metal is considered Extreme Metal. Venom was the first band to go in the direction of Extreme Metal as opposed to just Metal. By the way, I prefer Slayer to Venom by a long shot.

You don't need to listen to their entire discographies, but you have to at least listen to ONE album by them as a whole before you can judge them. I actually like Venom a lot, I'd take them over Metallica or even Megadeth any day.

You don't need to listen to their entire discographies, but you have to at least listen to ONE album by them as a whole before you can judge them. I actually like Venom a lot, I'd take them over Metallica or even Megadeth any day.

I'm weird and I refuse to listen to the entirety of albums on my own unless I buy them. I guess it's really just a measure to make sure I do eventually buy and appreciate the albums of the bands I like.